Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IF .. there is a new tour and 4 dvd..
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:01

What do you think it would consist of ?

i know that that's looking a little far in the future

but my point is.. what kind of special features would everyone like to see?

I feel i.m.h.o. the a.b.b. dvd set blew f.f. out of the water, although the theater show has a very special place in my heart.

what about a special feature disc of just rehearsals, I was watching the a.b.b. doc and keith just brought me to my knees with slipping away.. no posing to any audience just playing. it was very special.

or maybe a "private" acoustic set ?

any imput?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: IF .. there is a new tour and 4 dvd..
Posted by: yapyapmk7 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:07

4 times as many slams as SAL>

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: April 29, 2008 16:42

I prefer the Four Flicks dvd over ABB mostly because of the Paris theater show. That was my dream setlist and they sounded awesome. The other main reason is the documentary portion of FF, and Mick singing Worried About You during rehearsals at Foxboro Stadium, MA.

I would love a new tour and dvd set to accompany it. I find the whole "circus" quite fascinating and always look forward to the tidbits mixed in with the concert footage.

Date: April 29, 2008 17:07

Extensive amounts of rehearsal footage is pretty much the only route that they have not taken.This would be a great idea.The Stripped special had a few "rehearsal" songs but not a whole session or disc.They will not add in a vintage concert disc to a set of current concert footage.(For the vintage footage i.e. 1972,we will have to wait until either a)they retire or stop performing for another reason or b)they take a long break,in the area of 8 years.)

Other than that,if there is another tour and a video boxed set,I just hope for different material - Soul Survivor,Dance Little Sister,Out of Time,Let It Loose,Coming Down Again,One Hit etc..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 17:07 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 29, 2008 19:20

nothing on the dvd post 78

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 29, 2008 19:32

4Flix is superior to BiggestBang IMO because of the documentary and the Olympia show. The BB documentary is less interesting, and they make such a great one on FF that it was a real challenge to top it. They failed.

Concertwise, my frustration comes from the fact that the BB DVDs are 4:3 and not 16:9. It was acceptable in 2003, much less in 2007...
Rio is great though.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 29, 2008 20:10

Doc
4Flix is superior to BiggestBang IMO because of the documentary and the Olympia show. The BB documentary is less interesting, and they make such a great one on FF that it was a real challenge to top it. They failed.

Concertwise, my frustration comes from the fact that the BB DVDs are 4:3 and not 16:9. It was acceptable in 2003, much less in 2007...
Rio is great though.

... mine are 16:9.
confused smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 29, 2008 20:17

What's more, quality of TBB is much worse than 4Flicks. Sound isn't as clear as it used to be.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 29, 2008 21:06

Amused
What's more, quality of TBB is much worse than 4Flicks. Sound isn't as clear as it used to be.

a somewhat muddy sound mix helps to overhear rough edges and other anomalities in the playing, f.e. the guitar department.

if the Stones want to sound clear, they can - with todays technical possibilities everything is possible, just keep in mind the many examples of superb remastering of old & vintage recordings, bringing out details never heard before.

if the Stones dont want to sound clear, they dont want to sound clear for a reason!

could as well works as a good explanation for the muddy sound during many recent shows.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 02:58

Should there be another tour there really is no need for yet another 4dvd set, what could possibly be offered that hasn't been covered in the last 2 (how many versions of JJF or SMU do we really need).

Have to say that the collective 8 dvds from FF/ABB represents overkill since theres no material difference between the performance/staging of the two tours.

No other band sees the need to put out a 4 DVD set every time theres a new tour.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:02

Oh my god... I don't even want to think what theyre gunna do that far into the future. Im just thinking about the new album they might do.

Date: April 30, 2008 03:08

ryanpow
Oh my god... I don't even want to think what theyre gunna do that far into the future. Im just thinking about the new album they might do.

A new album is what excites me the most also! Come on, Mick! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 30, 2008 03:12

Solo tour, Mick!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:12

It would be cool if they did a "back to the roots" album with blues and soul music on it.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:15

Yup, there is honestly nothing left worth putting on another 4 DVD set that hasn't already been covered. More stadium shows would seriously be a kick in the balls. Not sure how many versions of Satisfaction they think we honestly want? I could care less if they're in New York, London, Rio, Buenos Aires, Taiwan, China, Africa...wherever...it's still the same song. I'm exahusted already of these songs. Once the B-stage is finished---I"m already looking at what else is in the box set.

There wouldn't even be a need for another 4 box set. A whole set on rehearsals is hardly of any real substance. Good to watch but not worth more than 1 disk's worth. A documentary would be great but we already know the drill: they're on hiatus...Mick calls Keith...they rehearse...they travel...etc etc. Unless they actually slow it down and go deeper and actually take us through how a rehearsal really goes, what does the songwriting process really look and sound like. Recording... But then again...they'd never really give us all that stuff.

Date: April 30, 2008 03:18

ryanpow
It would be cool if they did a "back to the roots" album with blues and soul music on it.

Me too!
Whatever strikes their fancy, though. If they are into it, I'll be into it! (I have a lot of faith in them ie. Mick)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-30 04:42 by TrulyMicks.

Date: April 30, 2008 03:22

I think Mick should release that Blues CD from 15 or so years ago and tour the Blues/Banaroo type shows with the #$%&ing Red Devils this summer!!!!

Ottawa Bluesfest Headliner
Mick Jagger and the Red Devils

Could you imagine??!! Could you FREAKING imagine that? Instead we get... Steely Dan?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:22

jamesfdouglas
Solo tour, Mick!

well that makes one of you

Date: April 30, 2008 03:23

It does, doesn't it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 30, 2008 04:40

Justin
Yup, there is honestly nothing left worth putting on another 4 DVD set that hasn't already been covered. More stadium shows would seriously be a kick in the balls. Not sure how many versions of Satisfaction they think we honestly want? I could care less if they're in New York, London, Rio, Buenos Aires, Taiwan, China, Africa...wherever...it's still the same song. I'm exahusted already of these songs. Once the B-stage is finished---I"m already looking at what else is in the box set.

There wouldn't even be a need for another 4 box set. A whole set on rehearsals is hardly of any real substance. Good to watch but not worth more than 1 disk's worth. A documentary would be great but we already know the drill: they're on hiatus...Mick calls Keith...they rehearse...they travel...etc etc. Unless they actually slow it down and go deeper and actually take us through how a rehearsal really goes, what does the songwriting process really look and sound like. Recording... But then again...they'd never really give us all that stuff.

Agree - the doco on FF was ok to watch once, but pretty shallow really as there was too much hamming it up and playing to the camera etc which pretty much defeats the idea of a doco in the first place

Date: April 30, 2008 04:44

melillo
jamesfdouglas
Solo tour, Mick!

Two!

I'd love to see Mick solo. He's a great a fabulous collection of solo material if you ask me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 30, 2008 14:56

ERC6761
Should there be another tour there really is no need for yet another 4dvd set, what could possibly be offered that hasn't been covered in the last 2 (how many versions of JJF or SMU do we really need).

Have to say that the collective 8 dvds from FF/ABB represents overkill since theres no material difference between the performance/staging of the two tours.

No other band sees the need to put out a 4 DVD set every time theres a new tour.

The concept worked with Four Flicks because of the three different types of shows and the musical variety. In my eyes, its the best release the Stones have put out in the last quarter century.

I agree it was overkill on Biggest Bang. While the individual DVDs have their moments, there simply wasnt the variety and diversity to justify four discs from any artistic point of view. I agree completely with what Justin says above.

The ONLY way there should be a multi disc release on that scale again is for a career retrospective/archive release. Ideally to accompany a similarly themed multi-CD release.

Date: May 1, 2008 06:46

I'll say that there is a difference in the material on "The Biggest Bang" compared to the material on "Four Flicks".The Biggest Bang features songs like She's So Cold,ATPTB,Learning The Game,Sway,Little T&A,Night Time,Get Up Stand Up,Under My Thumb,Cloud plus a decent number of ABB songs but,I agree that there could have been more (with less repetition).

They obviously don't put out a new four DVD set everytime they tour.They have only released two of them.This seems like some kind of a deal they have made.Tom Petty and Elton John among others have 4 DVD sets @ Best Buy.I prefer too much to be released than not enough.They always used to short-change us.Just look at the '97-'99 tour.All we got was one incomplete concert on one DVD - no Crazy Mama,no 19th Nervous Breakdown,no Thief In The Night,no Moonlight Mile etc..

If they became a little bit more ambitious,they could pull off one more (non-archival) four DVD set.One disc of rehearsals along the lines of I Can't Be Satisfied from TBB,two concerts with a large portion of fresh material (Play With Fire,Soul Survivor,new material etc..) and a disc of promo music videos or something else and then that may be enough.After that,they could go to '72/'73,'77/'78 material.

Date: May 1, 2008 08:22

Theif in the Night
I'll say that there is a difference in the material on "The Biggest Bang" compared to the material on "Four Flicks".The Biggest Bang features songs like She's So Cold,ATPTB,Learning The Game,Sway,Little T&A,Night Time,Get Up Stand Up,Under My Thumb,Cloud plus a decent number of ABB songs but,I agree that there could have been more (with less repetition).

They obviously don't put out a new four DVD set everytime they tour.They have only released two of them.This seems like some kind of a deal they have made.Tom Petty and Elton John among others have 4 DVD sets @ Best Buy.I prefer too much to be released than not enough.They always used to short-change us.Just look at the '97-'99 tour.All we got was one incomplete concert on one DVD - no Crazy Mama,no 19th Nervous Breakdown,no Thief In The Night,no Moonlight Mile etc..

If they became a little bit more ambitious,they could pull off one more (non-archival) four DVD set.One disc of rehearsals along the lines of I Can't Be Satisfied from TBB,two concerts with a large portion of fresh material (Play With Fire,Soul Survivor,new material etc..) and a disc of promo music videos or something else and then that may be enough.After that,they could go to '72/'73,'77/'78 material.

mmmm.......on balance, as originally stated, best if there is no further 4dvd.

Date: May 2, 2008 17:52

Best for who?It would not be best for fans who want to watch video of any future performances in the best possible quality.In that case,the fans would be forced into more bootlegs of various quality.

I believe that the reason behind the four DVD sets is that people probably are more willing to spend $29.99 on a four DVD set than they would be to spend $18.99 to $24.99 on a single DVD.The four DVD set stands out in the racks.

On second thought,it may be best if there are no future DVD's at all but,Blu Ray discs instead.Four DVD's (double layer) = 34 or 35 GB of video at most.One Blu Ray disc = 25 GB of video.One double layer Blu Ray disc = 50 GB of video capacity.High definition video takes up more GB so,a 2 Blu Ray Disc set of double layer discs would seem like a good option if there are any future Stones shows worth being filmed.

Date: May 2, 2008 18:24

TrulyMicks
melillo
jamesfdouglas
Solo tour, Mick!

Two!

I'd love to see Mick solo. He's a great a fabulous collection of solo material if you ask me.

smileys with beer

I know - but I'm thinking he could just play whatever the hell he'd feel like.

People say 'The Stones should do a blues/soul record & tour'.

Screw that! MICK should do that - a really cool, musty, rootsy vibe of a show - not wieghed down by any expectations. A decent band behind him - like the Red Devils! That would be AMAZING!

And the next 4-DVD set I want coming from the Stones should be achived 70's material please. Enough weak-sauce non-guitar versions of songs we have dozens of superior versions of!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 2, 2008 19:12

Well, I hope the secret guitar ace, Blondie Chapman, would get more spotlight...

Seriously, let the guys tour or not, but let the new multi-DVDs based on archive material - there are big holes in the great history to be filled.

Let the first be called like:

THE WORLD'S GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND CONCERT FOOTAGE SERIES VOL 1: 1972-73

- Doxa

Date: May 2, 2008 20:06

Hey Doxa... I'm not against them touring again - I just really wish they'd re-think their whole approach, musically.

THE WORLD'S GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND CONCERT FOOTAGE SERIES VOL 1: 1972-73

YES!

That version of the band has never been topped in my opnion.
(I'm of course basing that on records/films as I wasn't born until '73).

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 2, 2008 20:33

Like I said,I'm not against the '70's material but,I doubt that it will have a real chance of being released until something drastic happens.Also,I have not heard anyone calling for more versions of songs that are already available many times in better versions.There were not any other official live versions of Sway by the Rolling Stones before The Biggest Bang set and the Austin version had to be at least in the top five or ten for best live performances (by the Stones) of the song.For evidence that there is still guitar being played by the Stones,check out Some Girls from SAL.For that matter,I recall plenty of guitar being blasted at me in the I Max theatre last month.I know that it was not Richards' best show and that he turned in a good # of sub-par performances that year - a higher percentage of them after the accident,surgery and medication but,I doubt that they're through putting on quality shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-03 19:08 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 2, 2008 22:04

if you want to do the 70s thing, I nice little 4 dvd box called Sucking in the 70s on video, then all they need to do is clean up a few pro-shot footage like 1971 Marquee, Ladies & Gentlemen, LA 1975 and Fort Worth 78..

Since you know they won't give us full shows of each, just edit it properly so you don't repeat the same songs too much.. Like use All Down the Line from Ladies and Gents and don't use the version from LA and Fort Worth.. and so on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home