Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: VIDEO: Stones Live In Warsaw 1967
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:00

>> here's Milano '67 with Keith and Bill sharing a mic <<

smile smile smile: thanks open-g! looks like Mick's wearing Keith's patchwork jacket :E

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:04

There's a report from Les Perrin from this Warsaw gig in NME April 22 1967 issue.

Since I don't have a scanner I will have to type it myself, so I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in that report?

Date: April 28, 2008 01:10

>> early 60s <<

ah: Sweden 1965 to be exact - i never saw it, i only heard of it!
the later bits appear to have been shot by Bill Wyman,
who just wants to take photographs of the girls' legs :E

Date: April 28, 2008 01:11

>> so I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in that report? <<

~*YEAH!*~
please and thank you kindly, Sohoe!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:13

Got the Basic set list of the 1967 European Tour Combining PARIS/ROME/VIENNA. Looks pretty damn good. This is the longest show possible. I don't think any one show had all of these played together (a few songs were in and out ones - not played every night).

SET LIST FOR 1967 EUROPEAN TOUR:

THE LAST TIME
PAINT IT BLACK
19TH NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
LADY JANE
GET OFF OF MY CLOUD
YESTERDAY'S PAPERS
UNDER MY THUMB
RUBY TUESDAY
LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER
GOIN' HOME/SATISFACTION

*SHE SMILED SWEETLY (at least once in Paris)

Great mid 1960's set list. Notice that MOTHER'S LITTLE HELPER is no where to be found. Wonder if that's EVER been played live. Would love to hear about 3 or 4 more from BETWEEN THE BUTTONS but it was to be a time of court dates so that was not going to happen. Hope more footage will be found from 67, GREAT STUFF, so much energy......

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:14

Date: April 28, 2008 01:43

<<~*YEAH!*~>>

In Warsaw: Les Perrin reports on the battlefield scenes outside the Stones' concerts:

Polish youth accuse ministries of 'fixing' audiences

meanwhile inside....

Behind the Iron Curtain the Rolling Stones have triggered off something Western Politics could never incite - riots!

Outside the Palace of Culture in Warsaw I witnessed ten thousand fan-crazy Polish teenager locked out. Others were marching in bodies of two thousand chanting 'Why can't we see the Stones'...and then spelling out the group's name led by a cheer leader.

He was carried on a trestle and could easil have stepped out of an American college football team's supporters club!

The square outside the Sala Kongresowej, the magnificent concert hall housed in the Russian built-subsribed-and-presented Palace of Culture, suddenly erupted. The square lined with literally hundreds of police, became a battle ground.

During the matinee show at fivde o'clock the police made baton charges at students protesting that the distribution of seats had been 'fiddled'. The youngster told me that tickets for the 2,741 seater hall had never been put in the box office for general sale, but had been sold through ministries, party officials and factories to 'selected' audiences.

The reason for this? So that the seated audience would comply with an official request to 'behave culturally'.

But inside the Palace of Culture, derisively dubbed the Christmas Cake because of its tier like architecture, enthusiastic fans went crazy and ran amok in the aisles and corridors like any other theatre full of teenagers. But, unlike a Western hall, the auditorium was also packed with 150 police officers!

Mick Jagger drove the audience into a frenzy with 'Satisfaction'. They clapped in rhythm, jumped, waved coats and jumpers above their heads, cried tears of emotion - and shouted, shouted, shouted. And they were intrigued by the sitar played by Brian Jones, an instrument they hadn't heard or seen previously.

Came the eight o'clock show and the unrest in the square outside had reached fever peak. Two or three thousand teenagers charged the massive iron gates trying to get into the hall.

I saw authorities order two large armoured cars into position, backed by a brace of water cannons to hosepipe the marchers. A company of steel-helmeted soldiers with submachine guns and guard dogs added force.

Then the battle commenced . The police and troops shot tear gas into the crowd. The spirited teenagers replied with some stones and bottles. Some 20 or 30 youngsters were arrested.

Frankly I have never seen sights like this. The resistance to the Authorities, was the more surprising because where it was happening.

What was the Stones' reply to the locking out of the average fans? They had 100 EPs and singles specially flown in from London - and distributed them in the square to those who were locked outside.

The Official Polish News Agency report after the concert did not mentione one word about the riots. It did however, offer the following comment: 'One of the famous modern big teams, The Rolling Stones, gave two concerts in Warsaw.'

'The young English artists performed their best things and the audience consisting of mainly young people, received the performance the performance with an enthusiasm which was too noisy, too loud'

'In the first part of the concert the Polish team of Red-Black performed. Two performances in the Sala Kongresowej were not enough. Some of the viewers tried to mislead the vigilance of the checking officers to get into the Sala.'

'More than 200 tickets were confiscated. Inventful ones had forged them, selling the tickets later with an enormous profit' So ended the official communique Poles read.

Genuine tickets were fetching ten pounds each on the blackmarket!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:53

Here ya go Sohoe.....same article that ya been typing....

NME page 4 22 April 1967

ROCKMAN

Date: April 28, 2008 01:56

Yeah that's one! Thanks for postin

Date: April 28, 2008 01:57

thanks Sohoe
(by the way, the odd use of the word team makes sense if one knows Polish -
Mr Perrin could've figured out that the same word is used for team and group ...
as well as for syndrome, isn't that interesting)

Date: April 28, 2008 02:17

Melody Maker - Page 11 22 April 1967

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 15:38 by Rockman.

Date: April 28, 2008 03:40

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:37

amazing that just two short years later it's the '69 tour and altamont--seems worlds apart

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2008 07:36

hbwriter
amazing that just two short years later it's the '69 tour and altamont--seems worlds apart

I agree. I saw some video compilation with performances from different TV shows some time ago. There was the mid-60s Stones that had fun on stage, and such. Then came an Ed Sullivan performance of Gimme Shelter (Mick in yellow pants and a white shirt with black dots). All of a sudden everything seemed more serious and it was clear that drugs had started to make an influence.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stoneMe ()
Date: April 28, 2008 09:00

Absolutely Fantastic Stuff Memo from TT Thank You Very Much Indeed.

Ever Danced with a One Legged Woman?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 28, 2008 10:29

Rockman

Melody Maker - Page 11 22 April 1967

with sssoul....
You mentioned this shot was from another show...Can you please correct...Ta

That's not from Warsaw for sure. No wooden chairs in the Palace of Culture. It could be from Athens, but I'm not sure.

If you're looking for some photos from Warsaw, here are a few [www.eastnews.pl]

(made by Marek Karewicz).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 10:32 by franzk.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 28, 2008 11:01

You're right it's out of place here and I apologize, this is something that happened in 1968, wasnt supported by the majority etc etc. Sorry!

By the way, 3500 Polish Jews fled to Sweden, where I live. Many of the probably fans of the Rolling Stones.

Date: April 28, 2008 11:42

>> with sssoul... You mentioned this shot was from another show... Can you please correct <<

i did?? well, i was right! as franzk says, no way is that Warsaw - but i don't know where it is.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:07

Cool pic from the Palace of culture, so very Stones in the 60s with the chair in the air.

Date: April 28, 2008 12:55

but i don't know where it is

Okay my misunderstanding then.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: April 28, 2008 13:47

The secnd video is from my hometown Malmö-Sweden. Magnus Gertten och Stefan Berg that i know have made the film Rolling like a stone and there are some clips from Rolling stones visit to Malmö 1965 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.autoimages.se]

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Malmö-Sweden 1965

It´s Only Rock´n Roll

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 13:54 by Harlix.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 28, 2008 13:51

That riot pic was possibly taken at their gig at Orebro vinterstadium in Sweden on the 27th March 1967.

Thanks for this link franzk:

[www.eastnews.pl]

I wish I had access to those great pics full size!!!

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: April 28, 2008 14:00

Take a look at my frined site. He was there in Örebro at Vinterstaion 1967

[www.rollingtom.se]

It´s Only Rock´n Roll

Date: April 28, 2008 14:13

Harlix
Take a look at my frined site. He was there in Örebro at Vinterstaion 1967

[www.rollingtom.se]

Holy fkn sht those colour pics are excellent!!!

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: April 28, 2008 16:09

HelterSkelter
Notice that MOTHER'S LITTLE HELPER is no where to be found. Wonder if that's EVER been played live.

MLH was routinely played at most gigs on the '66 U.S. tour. The famous Hawaii bootleg from 7/28/66 has MLH on it.

I'm also in awe of this Warsaw footage, I had no idea it existed. Thanks also for the Les Perrin vintage report, I remember back then hearing reports that there were riots outside the concert hall by ordinary kids who couldn't get tickets, because all the tickets went to sons and daughters of Communist party leaders.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: April 28, 2008 16:38

and there's more trouble here, this time in the Netherlands:

Date: April 28, 2008 16:59

The sign/banner at the back appears to spell out forssnos, what language is that?

Date: April 28, 2008 17:03

>> If you're looking for some photos from Warsaw, here are a few (made by Marek Karewicz). <<

thanks for these, franzk - do you have access to larger versions of these, by any chance?
that nice close-up of the amp with Mick behind it would be especially great to have a clearer look at

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: April 28, 2008 18:50

nice nice ,,,thanks,,!!

Posted by: BrianKeith ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:07

Fantastic Video! Thanks!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home