Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: VIDEO: Stones Live In Warsaw 1967
Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 28, 2008 20:15

hbwriter
amazing that just two short years later it's the '69 tour and altamont--seems worlds apart

not to me.. I think if this whole gig could be seen in like quality, it would do a lot to change the nature of discussion on boards like this, where the band seems often thought to have begun with the '69 tour. There are key differences like longer sets and the seriousness of the "rock" atmosphere that replaced the pop hysteria, but I think in the few seconds of footage here I see more continuity than difference, in the aggression of the performance.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 28, 2008 22:32

with sssoul
>> If you're looking for some photos from Warsaw, here are a few (made by Marek Karewicz). <<

thanks for these, franzk - do you have access to larger versions of these, by any chance?
that nice close-up of the amp with Mick behind it would be especially great to have a clearer look at

Unfortunately no. But the Polish version of Booth's The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones is full of the photos made by Karewicz during their visit to Poland (about 20-30 photos). The Polish title is Rolling Stones Prawdziwe przygody.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2008 23:31

thanks franzk - i'll see if i can locate that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:05

cc
hbwriter
amazing that just two short years later it's the '69 tour and altamont--seems worlds apart

not to me.. I think if this whole gig could be seen in like quality, it would do a lot to change the nature of discussion on boards like this, where the band seems often thought to have begun with the '69 tour. There are key differences like longer sets and the seriousness of the "rock" atmosphere that replaced the pop hysteria, but I think in the few seconds of footage here I see more continuity than difference, in the aggression of the performance.

Exactly, the same thoughts occurred to me. For this reason I find the 1967 tour very interesting - it seems the huge gap between the pop era and the rock era is not so huge as it is estimated - or at least there is a sort of "missing link". For example, Mick and especially Keith are seemingly in their way to their 1969 presence.

- Doxa

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: April 29, 2008 21:10

I would argue that the Stones had their dark serious persona nailed from '66 and a lot of the 'pop' material from this year eg 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It Black & Have You Seen Your Mother Baby are very 'serious' songs & trailblazing pioneers of modern rock. It's hard to judge the live performances on the basis of the odd minute or two of poorly recorded newsreel footage though in the Warsaw footage you can get a glimpse of the enery & aggression. (Thanks Memo btw for opening my eyes to something I thought I'd never see!) You can tell however from their performances on progs like Ready Steady Go & the Ed Sullivan Show through '66 & '67 that they were already fully formed & possibly at their peak of cool (looks, sartorial elegance, rebellious arrogance just for starters). Chesk out the weird tripped out shamanic aura that drenches the tinted 2000 Light Years tv appearance (not a true promo) to see how far they had travelled from mere 'pop'. Imo though, the JJFlash promo from the following year is probably the ultimate in rock expression; the power, the intensity, the explosive energy of the music married to the dark, claustophobic visuals, the hint of the satanic, the baleful stares through narcissistic make-up & Jagger's coiled, sensual but menacing dance moves. The Stones in exelcis and well over a year before the US '69 tour! By '72 in many ways I think they had settled for a less potent, less challenging, more trad approach.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 30, 2008 00:37

In Europejski Hotel before show in Warsaw. There were 2 shows in Warsaw the same day. I Have some other footage from Warsaw 67 on VHS.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 30, 2008 00:43

i love that photo very dearly. it's by Stanislaw Dabrowiecki.
Keith appears to have stuck some ration coupons to his trousers :E

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: April 30, 2008 01:22

The Stones were a great live act from '62 to '68. Every one of their shows turned into riots it seems during that period. What does that tell you? In the precious little concert footage from that era (including the Ed Sullivan performances), one can tell that they were a very tight band. But for whatever reason, there's this myth out there that the so-called golden years were from '69 to '74.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: April 30, 2008 02:33

Amen Neptune. You put it in a nutshell.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 15, 2010 00:06

Great clips and pics!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home