Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 16
Re: Ot: Springsteen setlist
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2008 05:28

Gazza
Elmo Lewis
How the f%&k did Mike Love get into that picture?

BTW, I'm a big Beach Boys fan, just thing Mike is a jerk (to put it mildly).

because its from the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame bash in 1988 and the Beach Boys were inducted that night

Thanks, Gazza, I was on that.

Re: Patti - if the Boss wants her there, it suits me. "Rumble Doll" isn't a bad song, just hate for it to knock out a Bruce classic.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 4, 2008 17:28

Gazza
Barn Owl
Great to see "Meeting Across the River" get an airing.

Personally, I haven't seen him do that since the 1981 tour.

Eh? After the Darkness tour in 1978, he didnt play it again until 1999.

Let me see; Wembley Arena, the Friday gig at the end of May. The one that started with Born To Run.

Did I hear those slow, solemn, but somehow purposeful piano chords accompany Bruce's opening line of "Eddy, can you lend me a few bucks...". Was I not bothered one iota by the absence of that beautiful, meandering trumpet sound that was on the studio release? Was I sat rigid in my seat in jaw-dropping awe at the touching magnificent beauty of this ballad about a poor, working-man's ultimate dilemna? Was there a shiver of anticipation in my spine at the prospect that Jungleland would very soon be following this mere apertiff to the main course?

Obviously not.

Nor for that matter at anywhere else on that particular tour.

I'll therefore have to put it down to an over-exposure of 1978 bootlegs and a dearth of decent quality recordings from the 80-81 jaunt (Nassau and the Spectrum being the exceptions). Added to that of course, the sheer brilliance of Jungleland on that warm London summer night (what, no foreplay for something so wonderful?).

As for the most enduring image of all however, well it has to be that of the entire 12,000 souls each pulling at an imaginary chord while making a "hooh, hooh" sound in the fashion of a train horn, while before my very eyes was the entire e-street ensemble following a toy train across the stage.

Please, please, don't ever tell me that THAT didn't happen...even if, at the time, it actually did seem like the stuff of dreams.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 4, 2008 18:27

Does Mellencamp have anything like Backstreets.com? I mean this stuff blows me away!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2008 18:38

Barn Owl
Gazza
Barn Owl

Let me see; Wembley Arena, the Friday gig at the end of May. The one that started with Born To Run.

Did I hear those slow, solemn, but somehow purposeful piano chords accompany Bruce's opening line of "Eddy, can you lend me a few bucks...". Was I not bothered one iota by the absence of that beautiful, meandering trumpet sound that was on the studio release? Was I sat rigid in my seat in jaw-dropping awe at the touching magnificent beauty of this ballad about a poor, working-man's ultimate dilemna? Was there a shiver of anticipation in my spine at the prospect that Jungleland would very soon be following this mere apertiff to the main course?

Obviously not.

I'll therefore have to put it down to an over-exposure of 1978 bootlegs and a dearth of decent quality recordings from the 80-81 jaunt (Nassau and the Spectrum being the exceptions). Added to that of course, the sheer brilliance of Jungleland on that warm London summer night (what, no foreplay for something so wonderful?).

As for the most enduring image of all however, well it has to be that of the entire 12,000 souls each pulling at an imaginary chord while making a "hooh, hooh" sound in the fashion of a train horn, while before my very eyes was the entire e-street ensemble following a toy train across the stage.

Please, please, don't ever tell me that THAT didn't happen...even if, at the time, it actually did seem like the stuff of dreams.

It didnt. "Friday end of May Wembley" would have been 29.5.81. First of 6 nights there. I know, because it was my first ever Bruce show (and my favourite show of all time). Youre correct about it starting with 'Born to Run', a rare performance of 'Jungleland' in the encore and that riotous version of the 'Detrit Medley'. He also played 'Trapped' for the first time ever that night. He did play 'Factory' though - maybe thats what you were thinking of?

setlist was :

1981-05-29, Wembley Arena, London, England
Born to Run
Out in the Street
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Factory
Independence Day
Johnny Bye Bye
Two Hearts
Who'll Stop the Rain?
The Promised Land
Trapped
The River
This Land Is Your Land
Badlands
Thunder Road
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
Cadillac Ranch
Sherry Darling
Hungry Heart
Fire
Stolen Car
Point Blank
Ramrod
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Jungleland
I'm a Rocker
Detroit Medley
Rockin' All Over the World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 18:46 by Gazza.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: May 4, 2008 19:00

Gazza
Barn Owl
Gazza
Barn Owl

Obviously not.

It didnt. "Friday end of May Wembley" would have been 29.5.81. First of 6 nights there. I know, because it was my first ever Bruce show (and my favourite show of all time). Youre correct about it starting with 'Born to Run', a rare performance of 'Jungleland' in the encore and that riotous version of the 'Detrit Medley'. He also played 'Trapped' for the first time ever that night. He did play 'Factory' though - maybe thats what you were thinking of?

Gazza, I KNOW he didn't play it!!

You didn't read my post properly!

Date: May 4, 2008 19:02

Settle down, Beavis.... grinning smiley

(hey, someone misinterpreting your posts...you should be used to that by now!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 19:03 by Gazza.

Date: May 5, 2008 04:18

If one was to reconmend an outtake bootleg of Bruce, which one should I start out getting

Date: May 5, 2008 04:34

Does anyone know if the video of Bruce singing Workin' On The Highway on Conan is on the net?

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: May 5, 2008 16:00

the complete list of the 105 songs played on tour so far (end of 2nd US leg), with the % of times played.
There have been 68 shows during the Magic Tour in 2007/2008.

4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy) 4 5.9%
Adam Raised a Cain 10 14.7%
All Just to Get to You [Joe Ely] 1 1.5%
Always A Friend [Alejandro Escovedo] 1 1.5%
American Land 68 100.0%
Atlantic City 4 5.9%
Backstreets 14 20.6%
Badlands 67 98.5%
Be True 3 4.4%
Because the Night 21 30.9%
Blinded By the Light 1 1.5%
Blood Brothers 1 1.5%
Bobby Jean 3 4.4%
Born In The U.S.A. 2 2.9%
Born to Run 68 100.0%
Brilliant Disguise 5 7.4%
Buffalo Gals 1 1.5%
Cadillac Ranch 5 7.4%
Candy's Room 20 29.4%
Code of Silence 1 1.5%
Cynthia 1 1.5%
Dancing in the Dark 48 70.6%
Darkness on the Edge of Town 13 19.1%
Darlington County 14 20.6%
Detroit Medley [Mitch Ryder] 3 4.4%
Devil's Arcade 65 95.6%
Does the Bus Stop at 82nd Street? 1 1.5%
Don't Look Back 1 1.5%
E Street Shuffle 4 5.9%
Empty Sky 1 1.5%
Fire 2 2.9%
For You 3 4.4%
Girls in Their Summer Clothes 54 79.4%
Glory Days 4 5.9%
Growing Up 3 4.4%
Gypsy Biker 65 95.6%
I Wanna Be With You 1 1.5%
I'll Fly Away [Albert Brumley] 1 1.5%
I'll Work for Your Love 12 17.6%
Incident on 57th Street 8 11.8%
Independence Day 1 1.5%
It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City 3 4.4%
Jackson Cage 7 10.3%
Janey Don't You Lose Heart 1 1.5%
Jungleland 15 22.1%
Keep the Car Running 1 1.5%
Kitty's Back 15 22.1%
Last to Die 68 100.0%
Light of Day 1 1.5%
Living in the Future 68 100.0%
Lonesome Day 62 91.2%
Long Walk Home 68 100.0%
Loose Ends 4 5.9%
Lost in the Flood 4 5.9%
Magic 61 89.7%
Mary's Place 3 4.4%
Meeting Across The River 5 7.4%
Mr. Tambourine Man [Bob Dylan] 1 1.5%
Murder Inc. 4 5.9%
My Hometown 3 4.4%
Night 27 39.7%
No Surrender 29 42.6%
None But the Brave 1 1.5%
Out in the Street 9 13.2%
Point Blank 2 2.9%
Prove It All Night 17 25.0%
Racing in the Street 4 5.9%
Radio Nowhere 68 100.0%
Ramrod 6 8.8%
Reason to Believe 59 86.8%
Rendezvous 1 1.5%
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) 10 14.7%
Roulette 1 1.5%
Santa Claus is Coming to Town [Ronettes] 9 13.2%
Sherry Darling 2 2.9%
She's the One 68 100.0%
So Young and In Love 1 1.5%
Something in the Night 3 4.4%
Souls of the Departed 1 1.5%
Spirit in the Night 4 5.9%
State Trooper 1 1.5%
Streets of Fire 1 1.5%
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out 13 19.1%
Terry's Song 1 1.5%
The Ghost of Tom Joad 2 2.9%
The Promised Land 67 98.5%
The Rising 65 95.6%
The River 12 17.6%
The Ties That Bind 13 19.1%
This Hard Land 2 2.9%
Thunder Road 15 22.1%
Thundercrack 15 22.1%
Tougher Than the Rest 2 2.9%
Town Called Heartbreak 11 16.2%
Trapped [Jimmy Cliff] 7 10.3%
Tunnel of Love 11 16.2%
Turn Turn Turn [The Byrds] 1 1.5%
Two Hearts 1 1.5%
Waitin' on a Sunny Day 19 27.9%
Wild Billy's Circus Story 1 1.5%
Working On The Highway 18 26.5%
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) 2 2.9%
You'll Be Coming Down 1 1.5%
Youngstown 1 1.5%
Your Own Worst Enemy 6 8.8%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-05 16:01 by superglen.

Date: May 5, 2008 17:44

CrazyDadda
If one was to reconmend an outtake bootleg of Bruce, which one should I start out getting

There's dozens of them, although very little after Born in The USA. A lot of what used to be essential stuff has ended up being released on Tracks or the bonus disc of 'Essential' so to avoid too much crossing over, some essentials would be :

Prodigal Son - early demos, some of which are alternates of songs from the first two albums.
Born In The Studio - BTR and Wild Innocent alternate takes
War & Roses - BTR outtakes
American Madness - 4 cd's of Darkness outtakes. Probably the most comprehensive round up of the various bootlegs from this era.
The Ties That Bind - the unreleased 10-track studio album from 1979
The Definitive River Outtakes Collections Vol. 1 & 2 - two 2-CD collections
How Nebraska Was Born - 2 Cds' of solo sessions from 1982
This Hard Land - BITUSA outtakes
The Lost Masters - 19 discs of what were previously uncirculated outtakes from 1977-84 (covering four albums - Darkness, The River, Nebraska and BITUSA). Includes "Alone In Colt's Neck" which is an alternate version of 'Nebraska'. Theres also two 2-CD 'Essential Lost Masters' collections which round up the best of the series (plus a few songs which arent on the 19 discs)

I'd also recommend as few compilations, some of which include previously uncirculated material in terrific sound quality, such as "Deep Down In the vaults"

This site should provide you with a good guide :

[www.brucebase.org.uk]

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 5, 2008 17:52

Avoid the bonus disc of "Essential". It's pretty dire stuff.

Just by the 4 DVD Tracks set!!

Date: May 5, 2008 18:23

I wish it WAS 4 DVD's!!

Date: May 5, 2008 18:27

only 7 songs (radio nowhere, last to die, long walk home, living in the future, born to run, american land, she's the one) have been played on 100% of the 68 dates of the magic tour 07-08.
of these 7 songs, only 1 is a warhorse, and 5 are new (I count american land as new since it was written and released in 2006).

pretty impressive stuff!!!

if you went to see bruce in 2005, 2006 and 2007 (like I did), you saw 3 completely different shows, with 3 different line ups, supporting 3 different new albums.

that same thing can't be said of the RS, unfortunately...I saw them in 03, 06 and 07 and got basically the same show...

Date: May 5, 2008 19:17

Gazza
I wish it WAS 4 DVD's!!

Wishful thinking on my behalf!!

Date: May 5, 2008 19:52

I'm pretty sure there was some fuss in 1990 about backing tracks as well. Maybe it just didnt develop into legal action.

On that tour though, they did use a bit of the original recording of 'Shes a rainbow' during the intro for '2000 Light years' didnt they?

I recall the song had to be withdrawn from the first pressing of the Atlantic City bootleg because the Stones' legal people actually went after the bootleggers for copyright infringement because they'd used part of an 'official recording'

Date: May 5, 2008 20:06

Gazza....WRONG THREAD!!!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 6, 2008 04:20

Well doing a rough count. In the 5 shows I've seen on this tour I've heard 48 different songs. Not bad,even if thier are another 50 that I still want to hear.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: May 6, 2008 04:39

Saw the show in Atlanta last weekend.....we bought the tickets outside from an "independent" dealer for half price (I didn't rest easy until we were inside the Arena). We were behind the stage but if I couldn't have been in the pit, grabbing Bruce's leg, there was no other place I'd rather be.

That said, I was happy to hear the entire setlist, but the big highlights for me were "Blinded by the Light" and "Trapped" (and Nils' solo during Prove it All Night...and Bruce channelling Shemp during Rosalita....and..well, everything, I guess). Bruce rarely comes through Memphis (5 times between 1981 and 2000, and 2 of those were a double night stand) so he's always a treat and an intense religious experience for me. And I actually like the new stuff, too.

But Wild Billy would've been awesome....

Date: May 6, 2008 15:21

I went to see him wih the ESB thrice on the rising tour 2002/2003

I got 50 differente songs

each show had 25 songs and lasted 3 hours

amazing

Date: May 8, 2008 05:17

Well it's a very special "Night" for Bruce and The E Street Band tonight. Doing a benefit at and for The Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank,NJ. They are performing in their entirety Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Born To Run. Pretty flipping awesome.....

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-08 16:32 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: May 8, 2008 10:16

Wednesday night's benefit show for the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, was one of those real special Bruce Springsteen performances. One that will go down in the history books as a memorable night.
For the first time, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band performed a whole album from start to finish, in the order the songs appear on the album.
But it wasn't just one album, it was two. Fans were treated to the entire "Darkness on the Edge of Town" album, then the entire "Born To Run" album. To cap off the night, Bruce played four fun, fun encores.
Before the show started, Patti Scialfa came out to talk to the audience. She said she goes back more than 25 years with the Count Basie Theatre. She told the crowd that she grew up in Deal, just north of Asbury Park and the movie theater she remembers was the Mayfair Theater in Asbury Park. "It was so beautiful. It has this arched ceiling with the stars and the sky. And they had little love seats in the balcony that everyone got their first kiss in. Not me though!," said Scialfa.
She said how it was so sad when the tore down the Mayfair in the early 1980s and she wants to make sure what happened to the Mayfair Theater doesn't happen to the Count Basie.
Scialfa then introduced Brian Williams of NBC News. Williams, a native of Middletown and a grduate of Mater Dei High School, said he goes way back with the Jersey Shore, to the Stone Pony and to the Tradewinds. Said he spent many a night seeing the band Fresh and hitting those places after hearing rumors that Bruce might show up and play.
He talked up Jack's Music Shoppe in Red Bank, as "they sold more rolling papers than records in the 1970s."
Williams said: "I've been all over the world and there's no better place to be than right here."
Williams then introduced Bruce who came on at 8:39 p.m.
"Good evening" Bruce said to the packed house. "He said they wree going to do some different tonight. We're going to take the Darkness and Born To Run albums and play them in sequence for you.
"So that should be interesting."
Bruce said he was going to play the Darkness album first, so "we don't send you home suicidal."
He talked about writing the Darkness album. How in 1977 he was livining in a house on farm in Holmdel and it was a tough period in his life. "
When the band broke into "Badlands" the first song from the album, things were a bit messed up and Bruce said: "We ******* it up already."
The setlist:

1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

They took a 15-minute break and came back to play the "Born To Run" album.
Bruce talked about how it took him six months to write and record the song "Born To Run" and another six months to finish the rest of the album. He said it was make or break time for the band, as they were in danger of being dropped from Columbia Records.

11. Thunder Road
12. Tenth Ave Freezeout
They brought out a four-pience horn section for the song. Mark Pender, La Bamba, Jerry Vivino and Ed Manion played.
Bruce jumped into the crowd during the song. He jumped off the front of the stage in front of Little Steven, then walked over, past N.J. Gov. Jon Corzine, to the left side and jumped up on seats. As the crowd swarmed him, they lifted him up a bit. It was like a 1976 show again!

13. Night
14. Backstreets
15. Born To Run
16. She's The One
17. Meeting Across The River
Beautiful trumpet on this song by Mark Pender.

18. Jungleland

Encores:
19. So Young And In Love
Bruce had a lot of fun in this. He told the band to remind him that there was an instrumental part in there some where.

20 Kitty's Back
All the horn players did solos.
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. Raise Your Hand

Show ended at 11:14 p.m.

Bruce also jumped up on Roy Bittan's piano several times and did some dancing up there.
A bit of a stage rush during the encores. Fans were allowed to come down front and many did. Bruce came out to the front of the crowd several times.
New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine was sitting in the front row, just off center. He left during the start of the encores.
Great show, great night. One of my top Bruce Springsteen shows of all time.
To see Bruce in a 1,500-seat theater at this stage of his career is phenomenal.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 8, 2008 16:30

Great review superglen. Sounds like you had a totally awesome night.

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: May 8, 2008 16:31

That's just incredible.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 8, 2008 16:37

Sounds like a great night - a real blast of nostalgia!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 8, 2008 18:28

...unfreakingbeleivable

Date: May 8, 2008 18:30

The Stones

I think the review is from Backstreets. Glen, please tell me you werent there! smiling smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 8, 2008 18:31

i hope this show has been 'preserved'.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 8, 2008 21:13

Gazza
The Stones

I think the review is from Backstreets. Glen, please tell me you werent there! smiling smiley

.....he probably was there, I mean after all he is "super."

Posted by: partydoll Meg ()
Date: May 8, 2008 22:03

Adrian-L
Hot off the presses, Adrian!
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Date: May 8, 2008 23:38

partydoll Meg
Adrian-L
Hot off the presses, Adrian!
[www.dimeadozen.org]

That didn't take long. Can't wait to hear it. I hope it's a good quality.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home