Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Darryl's Outstanding Work on SAL
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 01:02

No, haven't seen the movie yet, but on the CD set he demonstrates how well he has integrated his playing into the overall sound. He and Charlie have become a superb combination, and Darryl has figured out how to exhibit his considerable expertise while never seeming to overplay or be domineering. THAT, to my mind, is a tremendous accomplishment.

And before any critics start bleating, the guy CAN swing with the best of 'em.

Re: Darryl's Outstanding Work on SAL
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 26, 2008 01:13

I always use the same line I know but I'm gonna use it again: Mr.Miles Davis didn't employ duds.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: April 26, 2008 01:20

I agree 100%. Darryl and Charlie form a great engine that keeps the train smokin' all the way through. I just got the CD and I didn't know what to expect. These old motherf*ckers, man...they still got it! Great live album. Oh, and by the way, Mick, Keith and Ronnie all sound great as well. No complaints here.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 26, 2008 01:52

I don't know anything about the bass, but I was very impressed with him on the CD. However at the movie, it wasn't as prominent in the mix. I thought maybe it was just at the theartre I was at but Ive heard other people say the same thing.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 02:51

have seen the movie twice and he was as usual impeccable ( hope this is s the richt word ! ) and he really nailed "champagne and reefer" and really kept the whole band and buddy guy as well, on track in that song, when most of the guys were not sure about the measures in this not-12-bar-blues,

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:28

I was listening to the CD the other day with my studio monitor headphones and I am in total agreement! Darryl really kicks serious butt on this CD, (he's almost as good as me, ya right), and works real wekk with Charlie too.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:06

Darryl is great, one of the best in the business. It's really too bad he is just portrayed as a side musician... He replaced Bill, for godsake, get him in the photos with M,K,C and R. The Stones are a 5 pc. unit... The bass player is as essential as the rest. He's barely in the SAL film at all! It's as if he's not even on stage much of the time. Ridiculous.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:41

Tate
Darryl is great, one of the best in the business. It's really too bad he is just portrayed as a side musician... He replaced Bill, for godsake, get him in the photos with M,K,C and R. The Stones are a 5 pc. unit... The bass player is as essential as the rest. He's barely in the SAL film at all! It's as if he's not even on stage much of the time. Ridiculous.

Hold it right there. Darryl understood from the beginning that he would be a hired hand. Bill has not been replaced, strictly speaking. There are only four Rolling Stones: Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 26, 2008 05:08

..... i betcha jones cant wait for this to be officially over! to make it clear to you all, that is, playing for the rolling stones.

Date: April 26, 2008 05:44

Yeah, I always wondered how much Darryl actually enjoys playing with/ for the Stones, as he is a Miles vet and is used to playing much more complex material. But still, the whole "four Rolling Stones" concept never sat well with me. There were five Stones in 1964, five in 1974, five in 1984 (if any at all!), and then suddenly there were only four in 1994...But wait, there's still someone playing bass, right? Darryl DID replace Bill, as the bass player for the Stones. RW replaced MT, and DJ replaced BW. But I think from the perspective of the Stones Corporation, profits are better when divided only four ways, and the image works best with those familiar English faces. But imho, it would only be "four" Stones if one of the four took up playing bass on all the tunes. But that didn't happen, save for a few select studio tracks.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: April 26, 2008 10:32

I agree with Tate. Bass and bassist are very important. Darryl is in the group since 1994. 14 years. Longer than brian and Mick taylor. The guests on SAL sing only one song each and they are 2 pictures of each in the SAL booklet "AND NOTHING ABOUT DARRYL" It's like he doesn't exist. "Est-il "le pue-la-sueur de service". Sorry but for this expression, it's easier for me in french.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 26, 2008 10:38

Darryl is a fantastic player, but truly the worst bassist one could choose to replace Bill. Jones completely lacks any groove and swing, he completely misses the clue on what Stones music needs. Wyman has always been from the James Jamerson/Duck Dunn school of bass playing: a style that features a bad technique which they have to make up by adding groove and swing to your playing. These kind of players play less notes, and they play around the beat -always playing slightly before or after the "1".

Jones is a jazz basist from the school of Marcus Miller and Pastorias: fabulous techniques, which make them able to play everything with such ease. But where Wyman chooses his notes very carefully, the players with technique fill everything with too many notes -and worse, they never learnt how to play around the beat.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-26 12:13 by Mathijs.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 26, 2008 11:24

I think ,for once Darryl reminded me of Bill on "Imagination". Best version since '82 IMHO.

sc uk

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 26, 2008 13:15

Mathijs
Darryl is a fantastic player, but truly the worst bassist one could choose to replace Bill. Jones completely lacks any groove and swing

Well it's obvious you didn't hear Darryl on "I'll Go Crazy" last summer.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 26, 2008 13:30

The Worst.
Mathijs
Darryl is a fantastic player, but truly the worst bassist one could choose to replace Bill. Jones completely lacks any groove and swing

Well it's obvious you didn't hear Darryl on "I'll Go Crazy" last summer.

Since when is that a Stones song? It's just another Vegas-style cover with lead parts for Chuck, Lisa and the horn section. That's not Stones in my book.

Mathijs

Posted by: wälder ()
Date: April 26, 2008 13:38

I totally agree with Mathijs. He´s a fantastic musician but doesn´t fit to the Stones. Imagination of SAL is a good example for this...no groove and no swing/roll & one of the rare weak points of a outstanding SAL album in my opinion.

Daniel

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: April 26, 2008 13:48

Yeah I have to agree with Tate,Give the bass player some dues.He is a member of the Stones full stop.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 26, 2008 13:57

smoking smiley

Date: April 26, 2008 15:38

I also totally agree with Mathijs' take on the technique issue. Very well put. But still, he's in the band now, like it or not. I say put his photo on the next album cover alongside the rest.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 26, 2008 16:01

he's no more (or less) in the band than Chuck, Bernard, or Lisa. I don't think he contributes anything to writing--though he might if he were asked, but he's not--and he hardly appears on ABB.

I agree it seemed different when they announced him in 1994. At least the media coverage made it seem like he was joining the band. But it couldn't be clearer now that he is part of the backing group, and bill has not actually been replaced.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 26, 2008 16:31

Charlie is the one that picked Darryl. I guess Mathisj is saying that Charlie doesn't know what the hell he was doing. It's funny how you always put down the Stones. I'm new to this board and have been reading alot of posts. You seem to be the biggest basher out of everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-26 16:56 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 26, 2008 17:06

Mathijs
Darryl is a fantastic player, but truly the worst bassist one could choose to replace Bill. Jones completely lacks any groove and swing, he completely misses the clue on what Stones music needs. Wyman has always been from the James Jamerson/Duck Dunn school of bass playing: a style that features a bad technique which they have to make up by adding groove and swing to your playing. These kind of players play less notes, and they play around the beat -always playing slightly before or after the "1".

Jones is a jazz basist from the school of Marcus Miller and Pastorias: fabulous techniques, which make them able to play everything with such ease. But where Wyman chooses his notes very carefully, the players with technique fill everything with too many notes -and worse, they never learnt how to play around the beat.

Mathijs

Exactly!!!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 26, 2008 17:15

MATHIJS IS RIGHT!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 26, 2008 17:22

I think he swings as good as Bill anytime.
He injects badly needed youthfulness into the jambalaya.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 26, 2008 17:33

Great post by Mathijs

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 26, 2008 18:30

I remember listening to live Eric Clapton recently and I thought the bass player was really boring and un-inspired. It reminded me of the bass Ive heard in a lot of young "Jazz-fusion" type bands. I thought to myself "Daryl Jones Is Way Better than this guy". I prefer the band with Bill, but I don't believe by any means DJ is the worst choice to replace him.

his playing "Start Me Up" from SAL reminds me of Bill on the 81 version.

another good track he plays on is "Conncetion". To me, that sounds like he adds swing to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-26 18:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 26, 2008 18:52

Thank you Mathis! I absolutely agree.

In all fairness, Darryl is a fine musician, much finer than the majority of the "backup brigade."

There was a time when certain members of the Stones cared a lot more about their essential sound than they do now. For a number of reasons this can no longer be the case. This is and has been a very different band than it once was. I'm glad they're still here and I will always want to hear them live but the past was pretty damned glorious!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 26, 2008 19:17

Not only Darryl, all of them did great job on SAL!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 26, 2008 19:31

Darryl was very good, although they hardly put him on camera

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 26, 2008 19:38

More Hot Rocks
Charlie is the one that picked Darryl. I guess Mathisj is saying that Charlie doesn't know what the hell he was doing.

I'm sure Charlie had his reasons for selecting Darryl Jones, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a very different type of bass player than Bill Wyman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home