Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have the Stones ever expressed personal preferences for their own albums and songs?
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 23, 2008 15:46

If i remember correctly, Mick once said that he considers “Exile On Main Street” as an overrated album. Also, that he doesn’t really like “Under My Thumb”. After having seen a Keith’s interview published on “Guardian” (or “Observer”? I’m not sure) in early 90s, i concluded that “human-riff” loves JJF more than every other Stones song.

Anyway, did “our boys” reveal their partialities for their own creations? (Please, don't tell me "look at the setlists and draw conclusions". That's not a criterion...)
Thanks.

Re: Have the Stones ever expressed personal preferences for their own albums and songs?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2008 15:49

yeah theyve done it lots of times.

I think both Mick and Keith were interviewed by Uncut about four or five years ago and each of them picked their top 10 songs. Out of Control was one of Mick's and he's often expressed a preference down the years for Miss You.

Re: Have the Stones ever expressed personal preferences for their own albums and songs?
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: April 23, 2008 15:50

Not really their OWN song, but I remember that Charlie once told some journalist that his personal favourite is "little red rooster".

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: April 23, 2008 15:50

I think I remember ronnie saying that he likes tattoo you best of all their albums.
and charlie said something like "the stripped cd is one of the best we ever made". (it's in the according to... book, isn't it? can't remember).

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 23, 2008 15:53

Also in some book, I think it's called It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Mick said about Satanic Majesties "Oh I hate that f*cking album".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: April 23, 2008 15:58

Mick once voted Miss You, Out Of Tears, Out Of Control, Loving Cup and Smypathy For The Devil as his favourites. Keith's were mostly warhorses.

Date: April 23, 2008 16:29

Gazza wrote:
"I think both Mick and Keith were interviewed by Uncut about four or five years ago and each of them picked their top 10 songs. Out of Control was one of Mick's and he's often expressed a preference down the years for Miss You."

I wish i had seen those interviews, but i hadn't. Mmmm... "Out of Control" is a good choice from the last years IMO.

therollingmanu wrote:
"I think I remember ronnie saying that he likes tattoo you best of all their albums."

Who knows, maybe Ronnie payed Mick Taylor an indirect compliment with that statement ...

JumpingKentFlash wrote:
"Also in some book, I think it's called It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Mick said about Satanic Majesties "Oh I hate that f*cking album".

Maybe that explains what happened in 1998, on Athens show. Web-choice was "She's A Rainbow" then. When Mick saw it, he said "So Well..." being a bit (?) displeased!...

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 23, 2008 16:40

I read an interview from about 15 years ago in which Mick trashed 'Between the Buttons.' He mentioned something about having listened to it for the first time in several years and thinking it was awful.

It was also written that the Stones as a group were displeased with what they considered a loss of sound separation on the final pressings of this album, and therefore supposedly were disappointed with 'Buttons' from the beginning.

As for moi, I love it! Especially 'She Smiled Sweetly', 'Complicated', 'Connection', 'Who's Been Sleeping Here' and many, many others.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 23, 2008 16:42

Don't they nearly all rate Beggars Banquet as the best Stones album? I know Keith and Bill do, also Mick Taylor and i'm sure Mick rates it one of the best.

Date: April 23, 2008 16:57

Scaffer, sorry, but i agree with them about "Between the Buttons"...

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 17:30

In "According To The Rolling Stones" Mick said that there are good songs on Satanic like 2000 LYFH and She's A Rainbow.Keth don't like it.
I love both Satanic and Buttons.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 23, 2008 17:54

stickydion, I can surely understand your point. There are numerous over the top tunes on that LP, though I still like it a lot.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:15

Like Gazza said:

Both Mick and Keith picked their favs in a british music paper some years ago.
I've collected hundreds of Stones relating papers amd must have them still.
Try to look for it when I have some time.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:17

UNCUT January 2002. MIck and Ronnie pick their 10 favourite Stones songs:

Ronnie:
1.Sister Morphine
2.Sympathy for the Devil
3.Black Limousine
4.You Got The Silver
5.No Expectations
6.Miss You
7.Factory Girl
8.Out of Control
9.19th Nervous Breakdown
10.Far Away Eyes

Mick.
1.Gimme Shelter
2.Wild Horses
3.YCAGWYW
4.Sympathy for the Devil
5.Midnight Rambler
6.Honky Tonk Women
7.Out of Control
8.Sway
9.Undercover of the Night
10.Miss You

Keith about his greatest riff and album, from UNCUT january 2004:
"That's so difficult to answer because, if I choose one, I'll be killing all my other babies. If I had to pull one out, it'd be Jumping Jack Flash"

"Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, then Exile. I'd find it hard to songle out one from that bunch."

Mick and Keith on the Stones' greatest album, MOJO august 2003:
Mick: "Any that has more than two consistently well performed songs on them (...)
More than two or three that are playable on-stage; Tattoo You, Voodoo Lounge, BEggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers..."

Keith: " If I gotta pick one...I'll say Exile. But take that with a dose of salt."

Date: April 23, 2008 18:42

Oh great.
Don'have to search . .

I think OOC you have to take with that famous dose of salt.
They were just looking for one new song to name. If you'd ask them now they would propably pick something else.

Mick's pick is quite alike with the pick from fans.Apart from that he really seems to like Undercover + some other songs which are mainly from him like Miss you and Sway.

Don't know about Ronnie. Sister Morph is great. But his Black Limo as one of the best from the Stones . . ?!?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:44

What? No Dirty Work? No Steel Wheels? Egads!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:51

JumpingKentFlash
Also in some book, I think it's called It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Mick said about Satanic Majesties "Oh I hate that f*cking album".

I remember Mick saying that about Between The Buttons. Said he thought the production was terrible.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:52

sometimes when Mick says He doesn't like a song, You have to take that with a grain of salt too. I remmeber reading an interview in which he was talking about Tumbling dice and he said something to the efffect that its over rated and then he said " but people seem to like that one, so good for them". good for them? Look at how much fun he is having every time he preforms it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-23 18:54 by ryanpow.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: April 23, 2008 21:24

I once read that Charlie thought Monkey Man was great

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 23, 2008 22:37

cbtaco19
JumpingKentFlash

I remember Mick saying that about Between The Buttons. Said he thought the production was terrible.

Yeah that's my impression too. Jagger has talked about Satanic Majesties as a "good laugh" and a "fun one" - while Between The Buttons seems to be the only Rolling Stones album he actually dislikes

Date: April 23, 2008 22:37

jamesfdouglas
What? No Dirty Work? No Steel Wheels? Egads!

Note that they are not embarrassed by Steel Wheels the way they are by the two albums that I have always said were their worst (the two that were released in 1967).

Date: April 24, 2008 04:18

Yeah that's my impression too. Jagger has talked about Satanic Majesties as a "good laugh" and a "fun one" - while Between The Buttons seems to be the only Rolling Stones album he actually dislikes[/quote]

Typically Mick!
At the time he very much wanted to do this kind of album and was very much into it!(Satanic Maj.)

And I would love to see Charlies list.(Of course he would say that he doesn't know a tune . .)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 04:20 by CousinC.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 24, 2008 04:43

Gazza said during the tour in a thread I put up that Mick does not like performing Street Fighting Man. Does that necessarily mean he doesn't like the song itself?

p

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:49

Interestingly, in a TV interview around the time of Licks, Mick said that one of his favourites to actually sing is Ruby Tuesday even though 'Keith wrote it almost entirely'.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 24, 2008 11:21

The Worst.
UNCUT January 2002. MIck and Ronnie pick their 10 favourite Stones songs:

Ronnie:
1.Sister Morphine
2.Sympathy for the Devil
3.Black Limousine
4.You Got The Silver
5.No Expectations
6.Miss You
7.Factory Girl
8.Out of Control
9.19th Nervous Breakdown
10.Far Away Eyes

Mick.
1.Gimme Shelter
2.Wild Horses
3.YCAGWYW
4.Sympathy for the Devil
5.Midnight Rambler
6.Honky Tonk Women
7.Out of Control
8.Sway
9.Undercover of the Night
10.Miss You

Keith about his greatest riff and album, from UNCUT january 2004:
"That's so difficult to answer because, if I choose one, I'll be killing all my other babies. If I had to pull one out, it'd be Jumping Jack Flash"

"Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, then Exile. I'd find it hard to songle out one from that bunch."

Mick and Keith on the Stones' greatest album, MOJO august 2003:
Mick: "Any that has more than two consistently well performed songs on them (...)
More than two or three that are playable on-stage; Tattoo You, Voodoo Lounge, BEggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers..."

Keith: " If I gotta pick one...I'll say Exile. But take that with a dose of salt."

I always find amusing the self-critical and ironical attitude Mick has for his own past. I think he is quite honest, really. That's his attitude - whatever he does, he does it with 100% concentration, but when it's done, it's done - and it's up to others to judge the result and its value - and he don't seem to bother doing anything like "wasn't it superb what I did 20 years ago..." He just had the next project in his mind. I think he doesn't relisten his old records nearly at all - or when he does, is when they reherse to an upcoming tour or something to remember 'well, how did it go.." I think also that the memories and opinions he has of their old records would come from their process of making them - that he is not satisfied with certain decisions (like, the mixing of EXILE; the over-loud drums of TATTOO YOU; VOODOO LOUNGE being "too retro", etc). But he certainly reflects what OTHER people - the critics - think of their stuff, and I think that reflects also of his own perception of his past products - like knowing which are the classic albums, etc. The theme tour - was it LICKS TOUR? - was an indication of that.

Anyway. Mick's list of preferred songs speaks volumes. The six first songs belong to the peak years from 1968 to 1971 - and I think that is also based on his own itrospection - that was the years when Mick (with Keith) really masterred his songcraft - sort of found the voice of his (their) own. These choices coher with 'critics section' as well. Then there are some songs that he probably put much effort and ambition, but are not among their most famous or loved ones. "Miss You", "Sway", "Undercover of The Night" and "Out of Control". I am sure none of these songs belong to Keith's list ever...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 11:28 by Doxa.

Date: April 24, 2008 11:59

By the way - my memory is starting to wake up now - there was an intersting long interview in Finnish rock magazine called SOUNDI where Jagger talks quite a lot of his past. The interview was done at the time of release of EMOTIONAL RESCUE at Mick's English home - the interviewer and Jagger were watching football (England vs. Germany I think) from the telly, and the interview was interrupted by a quick visit by drunken Keith Richards who asks a dollar from Mick ,and gets a pound and goes happily away...

Okay, the points. Jagger says that he likes AFTERMATH most of his old albums, even though he says that he hates the way the songs were written (I think 'too manufactured' or 'forced' way of writing or something). He says something to the effect that in that album you find the 'real Rolling Stones', and people should listen more to it. But what is interesting he says that he doesn't like BEGGARS BANQUET at all, even though it so much critically acclaimed. He says that the whole concept of the album, and especially songs like "Street Fighting Man", was 'artificial', trying to stay current, politically reflective, and things like that (I do this from memory - I need to find the old magazine and check these facts some day). Well, that was Jagger and his state of mind ANNO 1980... Perhaps that was sme kind of 'anti-punk' phase, after SOME GIRLS.

And by the way, Keith briefly mentions that EMOTIONAL RESCUE is much better than SOME GIRLS because they have found their 'arrogance' and 'true essence' (I am not sure if that was the right word, but something to an effect). Well, perhaps that is part of "Best Stones Yet" -policy, but most likely that was a try to piss off Jagger - there was a huge tension between them and this was seemingly reflected in the article. I remember Jagger says something critical about Keith, after he had left, but I can't recall what.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 12:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2008 12:08

I read somewhere that Mick holds Let It Bleed in really high esteem. Interesting to see that Ronnie picks Factory Girl among his fave songs. That song was almost the blueprint for the whole Rod Stewart acoustic country sound he purveyed on classic albums like Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment.

Date: April 24, 2008 12:23

Silver Dagger
I read somewhere that Mick holds Let It Bleed in really high esteem. Interesting to see that Ronnie picks Factory Girl among his fave songs. That song was almost the blueprint for the whole Rod Stewart acoustic country sound he purveyed on classic albums like Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment.

Yeah, a good remark about Ronnie and "Factory Girl" - I wondered why on earth that particular song is there, but now it sounds 'logical'.

Interesting to find that "No Expectations" is on his list. It is also Mick Taylor's favourite Stones track (or one of them) - it is quite a regular number on his current sets - and the only Stones number he plays not 'written' by him...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 12:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 24, 2008 12:46

in victor bockris biography of keith richards its written that keiths fav. 10 songs are:

1.Jumpin' Jack Flash
2.Street Fighting Man
3.Satisfaction
4.Honky Tonk Woman
5.Gimme Shelter
6.Sympathy fot the Devil
7.Brown Sugar
9.Ruby Tuesday
10.I Got the Blues

Date: April 24, 2008 12:51

Hmm.. Keith has a quite 'popular' taste - but I wonder what is the story of "I Got The Blues", instead of, say, "Wild Horses" or "Angie" - songs would suit much better to tone of the list. What makes it specific to be remebered?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 12:55 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home