Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Have the Stones ever expressed personal preferences for their own albums and songs?
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 24, 2008 12:55

I'm surprised Tumbling Dice isn't on that list. He has said in other interviews that it's one of his favorites.

Re: Have the Stones ever expressed personal preferences for their own albums and songs?
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 24, 2008 12:58

Thanks for the info, folks!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 24, 2008 13:00

erikjjf
I'm surprised Tumbling Dice isn't on that list. He has said in other interviews that it's one of his favorites.

Yeah, that is true. And Jagger wonders why on earth they keep on playing it - like I guess, many of their fans think also. Perhaps it is such 'easy' to play - they surely know it by heart - and Keith's fingers still work on it. Little effort, big result...

- Doxa

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 24, 2008 13:03

Doxa
Silver Dagger
I read somewhere that Mick holds Let It Bleed in really high esteem. Interesting to see that Ronnie picks Factory Girl among his fave songs. That song was almost the blueprint for the whole Rod Stewart acoustic country sound he purveyed on classic albums like Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment.

Yeah, a good remark about Ronnie and "Factory Girl" - I wondered why on earth that particular song is there, but now it sounds 'logical'.

Interesting to find that "No Expectations" is on his list. It is also Mick Taylor's favourite Stones track (or one of them) - it is quite a regular number on his current sets - and the only Stones number he plays not 'written' by him...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Ronnie comments on his list in the same magazine. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, but he admits Beggars Banquet is his favourite album.
As he is a great slide guitarplayer, I can see why Sister Morphine, You Got The Silver, No Expectations, Far Away Eyes and Black Limousine are among his favourites.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 24, 2008 13:22

In UNCUT january 2002, the magazine made a list of the ten best Stones' songs, and Keith was asked what he tought about the list. I should have had a scanner now, cause Keith gives a great review of the list and the selection. I'll write some of the quotes:

"Are there any others I'de have put in there? I've been thinking about it but it's so difficult because they're all my babies. The top 10 you've all picked's a pretty good line-up. I mean, you ask me my favourite Stones song is and I'd have to say it's the one I'm working on right now."

1.Gimme Shelter
"That's number one? Really? How amazing! That's fantastic! (...)So, for me, that being Number One is very graifying. And I quite agree with your top 10"

2.Street Fighting Man

3.Sympathy for the Devil
"Ah great. (...)written as a ballad turned out to be one of the best rockers you've ever written."

4.Satisfaction
"I remember absolutely nothing at all about writing Satisfaction."

5.Tumbling Dice

6.Paint it Black

7.19th Nervous Breakdown

8.Jumping Jack Flash
"Oh, another one of my little diamonds. (...) For me, to play JJFLASH onstage it's like; "Let me at 'em." It's like; "Let the tiger out!". And you still find, like, new ways of moving the riff around and it's just got one of those immediate bangs on it."

9.Play with Fire

10.We Love You
"That's jail to me"

Posted by: bjarke_nl ()
Date: April 24, 2008 14:20

I'm pretty sure Charlie has mentioned that he really enjoys playing Brown Sugar

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: April 24, 2008 15:04

stickydion
".

Maybe that explains what happened in 1998, on Athens show. Web-choice was "She's A Rainbow" then. When Mick saw it, he said "So Well..." being a bit (?) displeased!...

Yeah, it can be that he doesn't like the song, but the webchoice thing back then was pre edited, I mean everybody onstage knew the "webchoice" before the show...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 24, 2008 15:57

bjarke_nl
I'm pretty sure Charlie has mentioned that he really enjoys playing Brown Sugar

Remember hearing him on Nicky Campbell's show on Radio 1 a few years back expressing a preference for Monkey Man.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: April 24, 2008 22:06

i read somewhere years ago that 4 out of the 5 current stones members listed beggars banquet as thier favourite album, cant remember the other one or who was the stone who didnt prefer beggars, i must have read this around 1990 or thereabouts.

Date: April 25, 2008 03:22

Sometime during the Licks Tour era,Jagger listed Ruby Tuesday,Sympathy,and Out Of Tears (definitely) and I think Miss You as well.Their lists seem to change a little bit from one time to the next.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home