Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wilko Johnson
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 16, 2008 08:10

Re: Wilko Johnson
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2008 08:33

Track down his version of From A Buick Six
from somewhere around 2005.............It's a KILLER.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 16, 2008 09:11

Hello,

A brilliant guitarist and peformer-catch him while you can!

So highly recommended it's frankly scary!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 16, 2008 09:37

Great player. Anybody who isn't familiar with the original Dr Feelgood should give them a listen.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 16, 2008 10:14

...and Tim from 'The Office' dJ'ing, great stuff, Simon!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 16, 2008 18:42

Saw Dr. Feelgood in L.A. in '76.

About a half-year later Blondie came to town for the first time. The frantic, on-stage moves of their original bass player, Gary Valentine, were very similar to Wilko.

Years later I read in a book by Debbie Harry and Chris Stein that Valentine had seen Dr. Feelgood, and from that point on became a Wilko clone whenever Blondie performed.

The conventional wisdom is that the rock scene was pretty boring just before punk. Maybe for some, but for those of us who were keeping their ears open for new things, there was some great stuff, Dr. Feelgood being "exhibit A."

Their live album, Stupidity, is one of my favorites.

Date: April 16, 2008 19:15

loog droog
The conventional wisdom is that the rock scene was pretty boring just before punk. Maybe for some, but for those of us who were keeping their ears open for new things, there was some great stuff, Dr. Feelgood being "exhibit A."

Their live album, Stupidity, is one of my favorites.

My thoughts exactly. A traditional high energy R&B band with more attitude than most following"Punk" bands.
There was plenty of great "Pub Rock", remember Ducks Deluxe,or Graham Parker and the Rumour...to name but two examples.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 16, 2008 19:27

there was certainly a bit of throwing the baby out with the water the year PuNk broke. Pubrock is also a much maligned genre, ya there was some crap (as there was som crap punk. but aside from some fine bands like the ones mentioned and costello, nick lowe, ian dury himself and many more it also give us a gig infrastructure where Punk bands could play, the nashville,tally ho,half moon etc. also labels like ACE,STIFF, management etc like Ted Carrol,Roger Armstrong,Frank Murray,Jake Riveria and more. Bands like the Feelgoods and The Hot Rods provided a template for a lot of early punk bands, lest not forget Joe Strummer and his first band PubRockers The 101ers.

Date: April 17, 2008 02:51

This guy has been one of my favourites for over twenty years. And that Blockheads concert flyer has got me drooling! Dave Payne, known for playing two sax's at once, Wilko and Eddie 'Tenpole' Tuderpole! As a Stiff collector, it gives me the shakes.

Let's not forget the reformed Pirates in the 70's, with Mick Green. No, not PETER Green, Mick Green. Check out their album Skull Wars. A great album. I think Loog will second me on this. It's only on vinyl. Never been reissued on CD.

I saw Nick Lowe Friday nite in Hollywood with Robyn Hitchcock. A GREAT double bill. Nick never ceases to amaze me with his song writing. Go see him!!! I'd never seen Robyn before and he was also great. Two of Englands best song writers.

Scotty

Hey Hey My My. Rock and Roll Will Never Die.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 17, 2008 03:11

Great fun!!! I gotta go play my guitar now!!!

Date: April 17, 2008 09:45

[email protected]
Let's not forget the reformed Pirates in the 70's, with Mick Green. No, not PETER Green, Mick Green. Check out their album Skull Wars. A great album. I think Loog will second me on this. It's only on vinyl. Never been reissued on CD.

Saw the Pirates supporting the Clash in maybe '78. Hell of a gig.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 17, 2008 10:39

Mick Green played with Macca for a while, if i'm not mistaken. great guitar player.

Date: April 17, 2008 10:50

Nanker Phlegm
Mick Green played with Macca for a while, if i'm not mistaken. great guitar player.

he also played at the Art Wood Tribute show, last year.

Date: April 17, 2008 11:22

Hello,

Second ALL of the above...Mr. Green is an astonishing guitarist,and a thoroughly decent chap-he doesn't mind indulging idiots!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 17, 2008 15:34

Nanker Phlegm

That's right. He was on guitar alongside Dave Gilmour for the 'Run Devil Run' (great) album, in 1999.

Did a few shows, Jools Holland, and the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

And yes adrian it was great to see him last year at the art wood tribute. What a day that was eh...?

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: April 17, 2008 15:38

Mr Jimmy
And yes adrian it was great to see him last year at the art wood tribute. What a day that was eh...?

i won't forget that night for along time - 5 solid hours of great music, wow.

Date: April 17, 2008 18:21

SimonN
Hello,

A brilliant guitarist and peformer-catch him while you can!

So highly recommended it's frankly scary!

Cheers,

Si.

enjoy the show tonight.

Date: April 18, 2008 02:21

Nanker Phlegm

You are correct Nanker. Mick played on Macca's 'Back In The USSR' lp. He is also on Pauls 'Live At The Cavern Club' dvd with Gilmore and Deep Purple's Ian Paice. If you don't have it, get it. It's alot of fun.

Scotty

Hey Hey My My. Rock and Roll Will Never Die.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 18, 2008 03:24

Threre was talk of him being in the great guitar lottery back in 74/75 . .

Date: April 18, 2008 19:27

Hello,

@#$%& outstanding show last night,quite frankly.
Shit photos to follow.
Just heard about Danny F.'s passing...I can't believe that...no way.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 18, 2008 22:16

pleased the show lived up to expectations - just sad i couldn't make it...
next time.

looking forward to seeing your photos - and yes,
Danny's passing makes it a grey day.

Date: April 20, 2008 03:12

Hello,

Dunno what to mither about here-put bluntly,I feel sorry for those poor sods who weren't there.
This was an incendiary evening-the kind of stuff that would be compulsory if I had my way.
And the world would be a better place too!

I honestly can't add anything more,so you'll have to trust the photos to tell the story:

Blessed to have been there...absolute magic.

Cheers,

Si.

ps go on,have a nosey at my JustGiving page please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-20 08:37 by SimonN.

Date: April 20, 2008 11:14

thanks for the photos Simon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home