Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, Anyone Seen Neil Young live lately?
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 15, 2008 17:54

Hola,
Anyone have seen Neil on stage lately, any comments, pictures, etc, what about the song list he´s using, etc

many thanks
carlos

Re: OT, Anyone Seen Neil Young live lately?
Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: April 15, 2008 22:31

No... I wish I had. He played twice here in Copenhagen, Denmark- The review where very good. As I understood he start with an accustic set, and then he goes electric after a short break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-15 22:32 by DKsoulman.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:09

I got many bootlegs from this tour... Wanted to go, but tickets were way too expensive for me.

Well, Neil's tour 2007/2008 was one of the best tours of the 00s. I think only Stones are better, no one else. Or maybe some Italian Pearl Jam concerts. I don't know. I truly love Neil!

Acoustic set - you're almost crying winking smiley And then electric, great contrast, power... And the ending, "The Sultan" rules!

Also, the setlists were very interesting. Look for some boots on Dimeadozen (they are crazy 'bout Neil grinning smiley)!

I recommend every second of this. I've never seen Neil live (I'm only 16) but I still hope someday I will winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:17

Recently sighted in the Sutter's Mill area of
California rumoured to be searching for a heart of gold ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:25

Saw him last month in London. Awesome.

Some great surprises in the setlist too...

Mellow my mind - on banjo!
A Man needs a maid.
Ambulance Blues.

I've seen him several times and this was one of the best. He plays everything with such passion - and his voice and guitar playing are as great as they ever were.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:28

i saw neil in november at the chicago theater. 5000 people i guess. he was GREAT! did his usual solo acoustic then brought out his band for some LOUD rock n roll. it's a die-hard setlist though. really good if you know your neil from front to back.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:33

I have 20 odd NY albums, but I was just ruminating that since '79 he's prolly released as many live albums as Our Yobs. BTW what's the consensus re Weld vs Metal Machine Music (winner: Dead Man)

79 Rust Never Sleeps
91 Arc (or was it Weld?)
94 Unplugged
97 Year Of the Horse
00 Road Works (notable for 10 minute songs devolving into 9 minute feedback-and-horse-pummeling'codas' and Very Special guest star Chrissie Hinds on bv's) ....how does one catorgorize such oddities as "Journey Through The Past" (rehearsal versions, Buffalo Springfield lofi TV stuff, a Beach Boys song as in the actual BB recording, Handel's Messiah - no not Neil's cover version - and ambient chit chat - its soundtrack status is nearly irrelevent as practically no one saw Neil's debut as director) and more recently the archival stuff
(Massy Hall)... I still think he put out a singular live masterpiece with "Time Fades Away" (followed the # 1 Harvest, it was so powerful he wouldn't get near the top 10 again for nearly a decade) which consisted of ALL new material, and some of his greatest. And sticks killer live cuts in the middle of some of his best studio albums (Harvest, Rust Never Sleeps, 2nites the nite). Saves most of worst songs for CSNY too, what a trooper.

Posted by: Elliott ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:41

Neil is FANTASTIC !

I sow him in 1982, 1993, 2001

Neil's guitar have a *sound*

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 16, 2008 00:49

Saw him on two consecutive nights in Manchester last month and he was absolutely brilliant!

Do NOT miss!!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 16, 2008 01:04

Neil plays for the fans first. He always not only shakes up the setlist, but the arrangements, too. Sort of a 'grateful dead' kind of philosophy to his live approach. I don't care much for his latter-day output, but I can apprecite is intensity and integrity he still carries into his 60's. (ahem)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 16, 2008 02:06

>BTW what's the consensus re Weld vs Metal Machine Music (winner: Dead Man)

Surely you meant ARC not WELD.

>91 Arc (or was it Weld?)

Both. WELD was a 2-disk concert set, straight rock show; ARC was a 1-CD, single-track, about 35" patchwork of feedback edited together (suggested supposedly by Thurston Moore). I have a cool promo disk titled "Arc (The Single)" which is @ 3" edit. ARC was released as part of a 3-disk set ARC-WELD; I don't think it was available separately (except in the used bins of course).

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 16, 2008 02:22

Glam, yes I recall buying all 3 discs together. However I'm not at home and was unable to recall which title referred to the 2 live discs and which the third disc. I must admit the single version sounds intriguing.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 16, 2008 07:57

Gazza has seen him fairly recently. Maybe he will post.

p

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 16, 2008 08:09

Saw him November in Chicago and he was amazing. A man with talent showing it off

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 18, 2008 01:38

Just bought airplane tickets and concert tickets for Madrid June 27th, Rock in Rio, anyone is gonna be there? Same day with him, Jack Johnson, Alanis Morrissette, Loquillo, etc.

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 18, 2008 02:17

Funny you should ask . . .no, I haven't seen him lately! BUT, just today I found out that 2 guys I went to high school with and played in band with have played on some of his albums and toured with him. Steve Lawrence, a tenor sax player and Tom Bray, a trumpet player. Tom also toured with CSN in 2006. Way back in high school, the mid-'60's, they were in not only the school band, but were in a rock band together. I know they played on This Note's for You and maybe some others.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: April 20, 2008 01:10

Anyone who know a Neil Young site, like this one?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 20, 2008 01:14

Yes, saw him at Hammersmith Apollo. Got some lovely footage of him too which I hope to include a clip of on this site soon.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: April 20, 2008 01:17

yep, saw them three times in Amsterdam. awesome!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 20, 2008 03:45

timbernardis
Gazza has seen him fairly recently. Maybe he will post.

p

I saw him in Manchester with Logie (both nights) and agree with his sentiments 100%. Two of the best shows I've ever seen.

We had a thread on this a few weeks ago,

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-20 03:54 by Gazza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home