Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT...SimonN's 250 miles in 2 days...Help for Heroes...DONE IT!!!
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 14, 2008 22:31

Hello to everybody at IORR,

At the end of May 2008 I'll be taking part in the Great British Hero Ride,cycling from my home near Blackpool to London to meet-up with 3000 other fundraisers from around the UK.Almost 250 miles in 2 days.Ouch!

Why is that,then?

To try to raise sponsorship money for the 'Help for Heroes' charity.

Who are they?

In case you aren't familiar with 'Help for Heroes' charity,allow me to fill in the blanks.It was launched in October 2007 with the aim of providing practical help to the men and women of the Armed Forces who wounded during the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Help for Heroes is non-political and holds no views about the 'rights or wrongs' of a particular conflict.What it does want to do is to help the people who are brave enough to volunteer to help their country and were wounded while doing so.It's supporters include David Beckham,and the Princes William and Harry.Oh yeah,and James Blunt.

So what is the target?

The charity's first target is to raise £6 million to build a new swimming-pool and gym complex at the Tri-Services Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court in Surrey.To see why this is needed,please have a look at these links.

Please read this.Hard to believe,yes?

The Help for Heroes site

Reasons to donate?

Part 1 : Well,at the end of May 2008 I'll be taking part in the Great British Hero Ride,cycling from my home near Blackpool to London to meet-up with 3000 other fundraisers from around the UK.Almost 250 miles in 2 days.Ouch!

Part 2 : I'll match the first £750 of donations.

Part 3 : Apart from Justgiving's miserly handling charge,ALL of your generous donation goes to this charity-no expenses are taken out.Donating through this site is simple,fast and totally secure.Help for Heroes will receive your money quickly and if you are a UK taxpayer an extra 28% in tax will be added to your gift at no cost to you.

My Justgiving webpage-please have a look

I really hope you are able to sponsor me now,and help those men and women who gave a lot.

All the best,

Si.

Many thanks for your support.

...I realise I was wearing a Who T-shirt when that photo was taken,heh-heh!
C'mon help the fat bloke and we'll help those coming back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-02 19:17 by SimonN.

Re: OT...SimonN's 250 miles in 2 days...Help for Heroes...Help!!!
Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: April 15, 2008 09:53

Hi Simon, good to make contact with you. Just made a donation - good luck with your efforts!

C'mon Everybody!

Date: April 15, 2008 12:50

Hello Rick,

A big Thank-You once again for your generous support-it really is appreciated.

My prediction?

Pain!

Ah go on,have a look!

All the best,

Si.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 15, 2008 13:04

nice one mate-
a great cause, happy to help.

..don't do a me, and get injured!

Date: April 15, 2008 14:57

Hi Adrian,

Thanks to you too for donating-excellent work!

Must have been tough having to sit-out the FLM this time I'm sure,but you'll be there next year,yes?

Please feel free to forward this [www.justgiving.com] to anybody who you think might want to give.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 15, 2008 15:13

Yes was mega-awful tough, to be honest...getting k.o'd
3/5th's of the way through training hasn't been fun....have been able to
defer my entry till next year- and with the physio i'm having, i may be able to stumble round in about 2 days.

Any specific training regime, you've got on the go?

or is it a case of reading Lance Armstrong's biog, whilst eating pies and downing thirst-quenching pints?

Date: April 15, 2008 15:18

Hi Adrian,

"...or is it a case of reading Lance Armstrong's biog, whilst eating pies and downing thirst-quenching pints?..."

You don't mess with a winning formula,hah-hah!

I've done 100 milers before,but this is one is a bit of an unknown quantity as it's back-to-back centuries and thus there ain't much/any recovery time.More pies!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 15, 2008 15:25

lol - nice one, keep us updated, on how things go,
on the build up to the big day.

Date: April 15, 2008 15:35

Simon- download a countdown ticker, onto your profile,
so everyone can see what your up to

[www.tickerfactory.com]

Date: April 16, 2008 10:17

a bump, for Simon

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 16, 2008 16:02

And another one bump!!

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: April 17, 2008 08:08

Hello Hello,

Just a friendly bump folks.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: April 22, 2008 19:16

Hello,

Bump'n'update time...now we do got £610 raised which means it is getting worryingly close to me opening my wallet!

I know there are a ton of great causes out there,but if you are minded then please go right ahead folks!

[www.justgiving.com]

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-22 19:17 by SimonN.

Date: April 28, 2008 22:35

Hello Hello,

Just another bump and update...

Nearly at the £2000 mark,which is great news but please have a look and see if you can help folks.

[www.justgiving.com]

All the best,

Si.

Date: April 28, 2008 22:41

another bump for Simon

Date: May 7, 2008 11:52

Hello Again,

A friendly bump for the appeal as we're just over the two grand mark but still looking for your help.

Also just to bring to the attention of UK and more specifically London-based IORR-ians that tonight sees 'The City Salute'.

What is he on about?

7th May CITY SALUTE

Royal Patrons: HRH Prince William of Wales and HRH Prince Henry of Wales.
The City of London thanks British troops and their families for the sacrifices they make on our behalf, through an Appeal and a special Pageant.

The sunset pageant in front of St Paul’s Cathedral on Wednesday 7th May 2008 will be a celebration of the qualities of our Servicemen and Women: their courage, modesty, toughness, and humour.

The event is a very personal tribute, being organised by the men and women of the City to demonstrate their admiration for the Armed Forces - who are in many cases their friends and neighbours, or their own relations. City Salute is not about foreign policy – it's about people, about the members of our society who choose to serve, and to go cheerfully and uncomplainingly wherever they are sent on our behalf; and about the families they leave behind here at home.

This dramatic evening event will be no ordinary military pageant: it will see the Band of HM Royal Marines marching through Temple Bar; the ceremonial troops of the Household Cavalry; a fly past and aerial display by the RAF; along with some stunning moments of theatre, and a spectacular light show projected onto St Paul’s Cathedral.

Crowds around St Paul’s and in Paternoster Square will witness this dramatic display, including a series of specially commissioned short films relayed onto giant screens.

[www.citysalute.org]

The event will also be shown on BBC2 betwwen 8-9pm tonight,hosted by the fox that is Fiona Bruce.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Some invaluable publicity!

[www.justgiving.com] -wouldn't do if I forgot to put that bit in,heh-heh!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-07 11:56 by SimonN.

Date: May 7, 2008 12:04

here's a little bit of Foxy Fiona, for you Simon

Date: May 7, 2008 13:41

Hi Adrian,

Thank-you!

Proof,it it were ever needed,of her fox-like staus,hah-hah!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: May 7, 2008 14:57

Being a fanatic cyclist myself here is wishing you all the best , Simon! Break a leg!

Re: OT...SimonN's 250 miles in 2 days...Help for Heroes...DONE IT!!!
Date: June 2, 2008 19:17

Hello Hello Hello!

Back home again and without bigging myself-up (at least no more than normal,heh-heh!) I'm chuffed to say that the deed was done in under 48 hours,which is what I was aiming for as a personal target.

Today was the meet-up and procession along Whitehall to lay a wreath at The Cenotaph,and then listen to a couple of speakers in Horseguards Parade,notably the Chief of Staff,and the chap who started the charity.

The most humbling thing was seeing the people who need this help i.e. the veterans,many amputees who don't want sympathy,but as is the way of the services they want to be able to help themselves.Emotional stuff.Real people.

Afterwards it was time for a jar with some of my fellow fundraisers before heading home,a little quicker than I arrived!

The book is still open if anyone would like to give.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: June 3, 2008 10:34

nice one Simon -
big congrats, for an outstanding achievement.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: June 3, 2008 10:49

Congratulations for this great achievement, with great intentions. Hope you've raised a lot of money all together.

Cheers!

Jelle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home