Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why is the guitar playing a lot better on SAL?
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 13, 2008 21:35

Then on other shows of the tour? There virtually no false notes at all, no real @#$%& ups. Normally @#$%&-ups are pretty regular. Did they cut, overdub? Or did they just really do their best? Seemed like the last actually. Makes you wonder: why don't they ALWAYS play this well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 21:35 by King Snake.

Re: Why is the guitar playing a lot better on SAL?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 13, 2008 21:45

i think those aren't very widespread perceptions, King Snake.
it's fine that they're yours, of course!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 13, 2008 21:45

Ron's sober and plays great, the mix is sometimes good (like when either guitarist is in focus all of a sudden his playing is clear & crisp). Keyboards mixed as support, like it should be. Some Girls is especially hot and dirty!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 13, 2008 21:53

The playing is better because both guitarists knew the show would be filmed, so they managed to control themselves. They should do that more often. When they played the Wight festival they were in good shape as well, because they knew that there were not only Stonesfans.

Date: April 13, 2008 22:21

Yeah and the mix was a factor too. I noticed there were a lot of volume shifts in the guitar playing. So if there was something that didn't sound very well, they probably just turned it down a bit and turned the other guitar up. Better way to deal with it then overdubs.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 13, 2008 22:38

I do wish both guitars were more often in focus in the mix. You do get the grunge and feel of spontaneity more often than in many RS videos from recent years. Antiseptic it ain't. The vocals sometimes seem mixed to high.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 13, 2008 22:39

the "Keith channel" is much better on SAL than it is for the Austin Show.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 13, 2008 23:08

There are a few times in the film, most notably during All Down The Line, when Ronnie just plays superbly, proving what he can do and I think, for a few moments, suddenly closing the gap or playing equal to Mick Taylor.

And the upturns in volume have nothing to do with covering over someone else's poor playing, but is just part of the overall scheme of highlighting a particular person's playing while the camera is on or near them.

I assume the DVD will be the same as the film in this aspect as I would like to also have a film-mix version where I could hear the individual parts better.

p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 05:54 by timbernardis.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 14, 2008 04:34

I wish they would just sell the bonus dvd, thats all i really want and all i will watch when i get it, the movie is just filler for me

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 14, 2008 04:54

During the ABB shows i have seen, the guitar playing was as good as it is on SAL. With a few exceptions.

Date: April 14, 2008 07:55

ronnie rocked it..thats basically what happened..

also there were overdubs and in keith's case for the second song he sang they spliced in the solo from the other night.. at least thats the way i remember it cause his clothes all of a sudden seemed to change..

i have to say keith's little drunk druggie good to be here good to be anywhere pirates of the caribbean schtick has become tiresome...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 07:59 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 14, 2008 08:01

ryanpow
the "Keith channel" is much better on SAL than it is for the Austin Show.

You think? I think the Keith channel is much more actually Keith on SAL than it is on the Austin show, but the playing is miles better on Austin...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 14, 2008 11:48

She Was Hot & All Down The Line are highlights with both guitarists firing on all cylinders. On the other hand, Keith's solo in Sympathy For The Devil is so laughably bad that I still can't believe they released it.

I don't like the thought of overdubs but in that case they should have done some editing. Ron's guitar work is consistently better on this album which makes me wonder why Keith is mixed twice as loud.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 14, 2008 11:52

>> for the second song he sang they spliced in the solo from the other night <<

not very likely, since he performed two different second numbers on the two nights.
i do remember a bit that seemed to be from the first night, but was it actually *during* a number?
it might have been a snippet from between numbers.

Date: April 14, 2008 11:58

On the She Was Hot-choruses, it doesn't sound like Keith's playing at all. Way too perfect. Did he really play that meolodic bass line on the choruses at the ABB-tour. Haven't heard that on other shows? Possibly overdubs...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:06

stoned in washington dc

i have to say keith's little drunk druggie good to be here good to be anywhere pirates of the caribbean schtick has become tiresome...

but he didn't even say that^^

it was: It's good to see ya all, you know - It's good to see anybody.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:08

I have heard (or read) somewhere that Scorsese says there where no overdubs on this recording, it is just how it was on the night. Do you think that is true? I actually believe it, SFTD probably demonstrates this.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:44

I think there is an audience recording from the same night available on Hot Stuff. A comparative listening should reveal what overdubs were made if any.

Date: April 14, 2008 17:33

I think they played so well because they cancelled the Atlantic City show to rest up for the Beacon Theater performances.

"And I'm growin' funny flowers in my little window sill"

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 14, 2008 17:39

stickydion
During the ABB shows i have seen, the guitar playing was as good as it is on SAL. With a few exceptions.

Lucky man ! You were not in Paris 2007 show... thumbs downconfused smiley

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 14, 2008 17:43

I know BV won't agree with me here, but in my opinion Keith and Ronnie both focus more and play better in smaller venues. When they are on stage at these big stadium shows they seem to stumble around more and play less. So the shows become more domianted with backing musicians and the whole stage and light spectacle.

Date: April 14, 2008 18:01

stickydion

If they were able to produce like this constantly, they wouldn't have overloaded the Austin show on Biggest Bang with overdubs, I think. At the shows I saw there were some lame mistakes too. They weren't all over the place but Shine A Light is a little too perfect.

Date: April 14, 2008 20:06

King Snake, i'm judging from the shows i have attended.

A few days ago, RollingStonesFan wrote about SAL: "Even musically it is not the best I've heared from the Stones. She Was Hot is much better on O2-bootlegs, Satisfaction is rubish...the guitars aren't a supporting pillar as I know it from the shows."

I think he exaggerates (a bit or a lot) as for Satisfaction. Haven't heard O2- bootlegs, so i cannot compare the versions. And the guitars on SAL are the pillar i know from the gigs. I'm trying to say that SAL is not too perfect in a self-evident way. It basically dependes on which shows has anyone of us seen.

People here say that SWH could be overdubed. Maybe yes, maybe not. But if RollingStonesFan has right as for O2 version, then we must conclude that SWH have been overdubed two times as part of a simple ...bootleg! Hard to believe it...

After all, according to rumours even "Ya- Yas" had been overdubed. Who knows?...

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: April 14, 2008 20:13

Doubt it's overdubbed. Think it's a great performance but Keith repeats the same phrase either 6 or 7 times during the song..if they were overddubbing it why not fix that at the same time?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 14, 2008 21:58

Well today my SAL package came in from Japan! I can't tell you how beautiful it is.

As for the guitar playing: yes indeed, it sounds real good. I think the guitar playing was very different in quality from show to show, I saw Nijmegen and Sapporo. Sapporo was the best I ever saw them perform. Nijmegen was a lot of fun, but the guitars were often almost absent,

I heard the CD lots of times, before I went to see the movie. And so during the movie it occurred to me that the movie sounds different from the CD. I think the CD has a few, though not many, overdubs. The movie probably has no overdubs.

Date: April 14, 2008 23:24

Whale wrote:
"I saw Nijmegen and Sapporo. Sapporo was the best I ever saw them perform. Nijmegen was a lot of fun, but the guitars were often almost absent"

Oh, yes, it was one of the first gigs of the european 2007 leg. And Keith had some serious problems then. But as the tour was moving on, Keith was improving.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home