Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
save your money
Posted by: forligan ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:31

I just bought SAL cd, and I'm totally disappointed.There is nothing new or fresh here at all, so they do she was hot, big deal. Connection is absolutely terrible.......and the warhorses sound dull, tired and phoned in. Never ever thought I"d say this, but if the boys can't be more original than this, say goodnightf,....oh yeah, Mick is all over the place.......The Silver isn't too bad ... except for the opening guitar part , which isn't even close......damn, I do not like this cd. At least Ger Yer YYO is safe as the best live album ever.....Love you live is better too

Re: save your money
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:47

take SAL for what it is - later day Stones live - and as such it is really really enjoyable!!! just dont make the mistake and compare it back to back with YaYas. this is, (well - almost) a different band, and its nearly 40 years on now.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:51

Opinions are opinions but to say there is nothing new here, many of the songs were never released live..

As Tears Go By
Loving Cup
She Was Hot
Champagne & Reefer
You Got The Silver
Some Girls
Far Away Eyes
Little T&A (which is a horrible version)
Connection
I'm Free

Those right there are were the price of the cd alone. If your worried about Ya Ya's remaining safe as the best live album than you should be happy this one is not better.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:56

Well I'm really enjoying the album...and that's all I'll say.

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:57

I'll do whatever I want to do with my money. Just because you have no musical taste doesn't mean you are the last word about SAL. I like it and if you don't,then I'm sorry. This is what I was talking about on the thread I started. Some people are so blind they can't see greatness.

Oh well, thats what I get for planting roses in a gargage dump.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:00

Just got SaL thro the post. Whats the problem? Sounds good to me. 1st time in ages that I've sat in front of the hi-fi and listned to an album properly.. ie not thro ipod or in the car... it sounds great. It'a live record and to my ears it sounds exactly that. Rough 'n' live... like rock and roll is meant to be :-)
cheers
john h

Posted by: tomcat 6 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:06

It sounds good.............but I wonder what it sounded like before it was overdubbed ?

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 10, 2008 17:06

tomcat 6
It sounds good.............but I wonder what it sounded like before it was overdubbed ?

What kind of question is that? First of all it doesn't seem to be overdubbed.
But if it was heavily overdubbed - isn't the final result that counts?

What had Keith's and Ronnie's guitars sound like without their amplifiers?

eye rolling smileyRe: save your money
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 10, 2008 17:28

No, I like most of it. But I'm in terrible angst however whether to file it under 'live' or 'soundtrack'...

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 10, 2008 17:37

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 10, 2008 18:20

Oh, Rolling Stones co.'s ways are so predictable. First produce the movie and hype it up as if it contains an interview with Jesus Christ himself, then release the soundtrack and try to sell that at a high price, and the most disgusting part in my opinion: SAVE the release of the DVD till right before christmas (as will probably happen). And jeez, a PREMIERE for a concert film. Why do they want to be this mass media hype? Their music is great and they have enough fans to support them anyway. They don't need it and I think it's kinda disappointing towards fans that just go to see them do their thing and they're acting like these rebels and rock stars and then they act like they're in Hollywood with that annoyoing little munchkin Scorcese. And they're on the @#$%& red carpet saying stupid things like: 'Oh it was an amaaazing experience.. Martin (or they go Marty, yuck, MARTY!!) was so great, I'll never forget it.' They'd (or rather their management, I assume) even sit on their knees and bark if it would get them a buck or five million. And I'm thinking.. where are the days Keith would sit in a tv interview with his teeth rotting, high as a bird, just talking bullshit and looking at the interviewer as if it's a pile of shit? Now he's sitting there answering stupid questions like whether he uses botox. And the latest thing is the "Doctors all over the world want my body when it finally goes". PFFFFFFFF. Ah well.. I'm just a nostalgic, frustrated chap, huh? I know, I should face the truth, if I want obscure music that is actually about the music, this is not the way to go, and you all want to see me doing it when I'm 60, and I'm just jealous because they make more money then me, and I should be happy I get an album and if I don't want it I don't have to buy it.. nobody's forcing me to listen to the Stones. Glad we got that over, although I probably missed some other cliché.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 10, 2008 18:21

And here was me thinking I would get some sound investment tips on this thread!

[for the record, I love the CD which I listened to properly today. Mick is a little too high in the mix for my taste but the energy of the music takes some beating. I thought "Some Girls" was better than the original studio recording]

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: April 10, 2008 18:27

King Snake
Oh, Rolling Stones co.'s ways are so predictable. First produce the movie and hype it up as if it contains an interview with Jesus Christ himself, then release the soundtrack and try to sell that at a high price, and the most disgusting part in my opinion: SAVE the release of the DVD till right before christmas (as will probably happen). And jeez, a PREMIERE for a concert film. Why do they want to be this mass media hype? Their music is great and they have enough fans to support them anyway. They don't need it and I think it's kinda disappointing towards fans that just go to see them do their thing and they're acting like these rebels and rock stars and then they act like they're in Hollywood with that annoyoing little munchkin Scorcese. And they're on the @#$%& red carpet saying stupid things like: 'Oh it was an amaaazing experience.. Martin (or they go Marty, yuck, MARTY!!) was so great, I'll never forget it.' They'd (or rather their management, I assume) even sit on their knees and bark if it would get them a buck or five million. And I'm thinking.. where are the days Keith would sit in a tv interview with his teeth rotting, high as a bird, just talking bullshit and looking at the interviewer as if it's a pile of shit? Now he's sitting there answering stupid questions like whether he uses botox. And the latest thing is the "Doctors all over the world want my body when it finally goes". PFFFFFFFF. Ah well.. I'm just a nostalgic, frustrated chap, huh? I know, I should face the truth, if I want obscure music that is actually about the music, this is not the way to go, and you all want to see me doing it when I'm 60, and I'm just jealous because they make more money then me, and I should be happy I get an album and if I don't want it I don't have to buy it.. nobody's forcing me to listen to the Stones. Glad we got that over, although I probably missed some other cliché.

...definitely NOT a sycophant!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:28

This CD set is NOT without it's good moments.

The Some Girls mini-set is fantastic. Paint It Black - I gotta say, is the best live version available on CD. I don't regret buying it. I got the 2ble set for 14.99. The Marty parts are cute. I don't hold it up to Ya-Yas, or even Love You Live or Still Life for that matter. There are parts that are embarrassingly bad - yes. They are nowhere near as good as 1989-90 when Keith ownedthe show (bet that opinion surprises a few here).

Still... it's the Grampa Stones of today. Nice they're still around - because I'm afraind to say it, but think that's it, to be honest.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 10, 2008 19:34

The SAL CDs kick ass! And what about the special guests? (although I could have lived without Christina, but I was pleasantly surprised by her contribution).
The Stones aren't the "bad boys of rock n roll" anymore. They're too old. They are just performers. If you're looking for that "bad boy sound", I guess you'll be happiest listening to your boots from the early days. Can't go wrong listening to the STP '72 CDs!

"And I'm growin' funny flowers in my little window sill"

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:57

Well drat!

I thought you were going to tell me to save my money as there's a tour coming up, not the same old same old...

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: April 10, 2008 22:13

Nice release ! The best live album they've released in many years --
I paid $ 11.00 for the 2 disc set and the money spent was well worth it--

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 10, 2008 22:28

King Snake
Oh, Rolling Stones co.'s ways are so predictable. First produce the movie and hype it up as if it contains an interview with Jesus Christ himself, then release the soundtrack and try to sell that at a high price, and the most disgusting part in my opinion: SAVE the release of the DVD till right before christmas (as will probably happen). And jeez, a PREMIERE for a concert film. Why do they want to be this mass media hype? Their music is great and they have enough fans to support them anyway. They don't need it and I think it's kinda disappointing towards fans that just go to see them do their thing and they're acting like these rebels and rock stars and then they act like they're in Hollywood with that annoyoing little munchkin Scorcese. ...

Lol, what are you on about? Complaining that they are actually promoting a release properly?

Posted by: mark01942 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 23:17

I like SAL -im listening to it right now (she was hot) lighten up and enjoy, stop being over criticalsmiling smiley

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:11

Some people are so blind they can't see greatness

Yeah Yap you are right.

I love SAL-there are great moments on it, I can't understand all this disappointment from certain posters-perhaps they should stick with their backstreet boys cd!

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 11, 2008 11:24

I enjoy listening to the SAL soundtrack so much. Really can't say I was disappointed at the least!

The highlight certainly is Champagne & Reefer! This is one (%/(%?( great song to listen to live!
Gotta love Far Away eyes, too. It's beautiful, espacially with keith joining in the Chorus and laughing. *lol*
You Got Thr Silver - well, what to say? Right after Happy the best Keith song ever! And the live version in SAL is to kneel down before! Lovely!

I wonder how you ever could even think of comparing this live album with Ya Ya's? It's wrong. We all know there has never been a better live album than Ya Ya's. There is none and there will never be!

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 19:41

I love it!! I guess you can't make everyone happy. Your always gonna have the complainers who are having a bad day.
Great release!!

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 11, 2008 19:59

paulr15
I love it!! I guess you can't make everyone happy. Your always gonna have the complainers who are having a bad day.
Great release!!

So you are saying that because my opinion isn't the same as yours I must be having a bad day?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:14

Lorenz
King Snake
Oh, Rolling Stones co.'s ways are so predictable. First produce the movie and hype it up as if it contains an interview with Jesus Christ himself, then release the soundtrack and try to sell that at a high price, and the most disgusting part in my opinion: SAVE the release of the DVD till right before christmas (as will probably happen). And jeez, a PREMIERE for a concert film. Why do they want to be this mass media hype? Their music is great and they have enough fans to support them anyway. They don't need it and I think it's kinda disappointing towards fans that just go to see them do their thing and they're acting like these rebels and rock stars and then they act like they're in Hollywood with that annoyoing little munchkin Scorcese. ...

Lol, what are you on about? Complaining that they are actually promoting a release properly?

Exactly - I remember ABB was heavily criticized about the lacking promotion.
maybe a lesson learned?

Funny & classy rant though, King Snake.

non the less, I enjoy SAL and it gets a lot of spins.
there are some low points, but overall it's great.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:27

nanker phelge
Some people are so blind they can't see greatness

Yeah Yap you are right.

I love SAL-there are great moments on it, I can't understand all this disappointment from certain posters-perhaps they should stick with their backstreet boys cd!

Yes man, thanks to Yap and you I was blind and now I can see. All the stones records are the best records from all the history, and there are no differences between them. There is no other good music in the world, those that don't like the stones are blind and don't have taste... and of course, are in love with the back street boys... . Seems to me you have repressed emotions with the back street boys you haven't resolved and neet to insult others in order to feel more fan?. If that makes you feel good, great for you.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:30

"Opinions are like a*ssholes, everybody´s got them, and they stink"
Dirty Harry

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:45

I liked King Snake's comments.

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:49

It's ALL o.k. King Snake - don't worry I'm just saying it is very obvious to see the trends of some who never have much good to say. Opinions are great - i read most of them and take in everyones opinion - i was basically making an observation which is also part of it.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:49

Lukester
I liked King Snake's comments.
me 2
at least that gets a good rating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-11 20:50 by open-g.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:54

forligan
I just bought SAL cd, and I'm totally disappointed.There is nothing new or fresh here at all, so they do she was hot, big deal. Connection is absolutely terrible.......and the warhorses sound dull, tired and phoned in. Never ever thought I"d say this, but if the boys can't be more original than this, say goodnightf,....oh yeah, Mick is all over the place.......The Silver isn't too bad ... except for the opening guitar part , which isn't even close......damn, I do not like this cd. At least Ger Yer YYO is safe as the best live album ever.....Love you live is better too

One of many posts on this board from people who start a whole new thread to bash the Stones thinking they're the first to do it and then don't even respond to the comments that are made thereafter. They just come in to drop off their dirty laundry and leave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-11 20:55 by Justin.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home