Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Driving Too Fast
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 9, 2008 21:26

Oh my Giddy, Giddy Aunt - have I really just read,

"I love it when the drums and bass are more important than the vocal or guitar melody" ?

It's not comparable to Respectable or Everything is Turning to Gold. Both have pretty inspired guitars and lively vocals and neither put drums and bass first.

It's a fair comparison with She Saw Me Coming - which is another 'going nowhere' filler track. (A one riff idea, if you like). Pretty Beat Up is one of Undercover's weekest tracks. Again, trying to build a song out of a riff. Keith's bass enlivens that one somewhat however - and the sax ain't bad either!

Driving too fast is still-born. Never had a chance of life. Cut and paste guitars, for effect, on a chuggingly bash, bash, bash drum effort, supported by sluggish bass. Both too loud.

Vocals flat and lifeless.

Designer product.

Posted by: CharliesSinger ()
Date: April 9, 2008 22:23

Isn't Satisfaction a one riff idea?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 10, 2008 20:19

Not really - because aaprt from the main lead guitarriff the bass follows an interesting different pattern, the drums have the own separate role, the vocals follow their own path and also the lead guitar does lots of interesting fills throughout the verses. So thaere's a lot going on with a minimum of instruments, (B. Jones acoustic rhythm is almost incidental).

On Driving Too Fast - there's little imaginitive going on anywhere, melody-wise or instrumentally. Vocals are almost spoken. One dominant rhythm guitar riff, (not at all innovative) and very uninspired drumming and even worse bass. Chu, chug, chug. They try to add interest and texture with the overdubbed guitar bits. But a pig's ear is a pig's ear. And this is worse.

What interests me is that Mathjis is right when he accuses Voodoo Lounge as having the worst, flat, lifeless drum sound of any Stone's record. So what does Don Was do on a Bigger Bang? He makes the drums dominant and loud. But they are still pretty dull. Volume does not compensate for lack of inspiration.

And another thing (!) - if Mathjis thinks loud drums and bass are so effing tastic -then Hey Hey, all Hail Back to Zero and Winning Ugly!

Ah, but they've got inspired guitars and vocals, so they can't be much good!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2008 20:36

this song is killer ,another good rocker on abb is look what the cat dragged in !

Posted by: terry ()
Date: April 10, 2008 21:18

I think its a great little track, typical stones song, love it

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 12, 2008 13:52

rebelrebel
Not a filler for me! One of the best ABB trax along with She Saw Me Coming. Pure Stones. Very sorry neither got a work out live.

I agree.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 12, 2008 14:26

The Greek
this song is killer ,another good rocker on abb is look what the cat dragged in !

Totally agree, Look what the Cat dragged in is a great song-with that pounding beat would be great live!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 12, 2008 15:25

Well, are there really people at this board that prefers power to substance? If you do like "Driving Too Fast", you must be one of them!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 12, 2008 17:07

It's actually one of my fave songs off the album. Typical rocker with a good middle 8/chorus to create more interest. It's got a nice feel but not an instantly memorable melodic hook apart from the words Driving too fast accompanied by a "driving" rhthym.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 12, 2008 19:14

noughties
Well, are there really people at this board that prefers power to substance? If you do like "Driving Too Fast", you must be one of them!

how do you describe substance? if the song makes you feel good...it's
a good song.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: April 12, 2008 19:29

Substance is something more than bubblegum rock`n roll.

I get the impression that you are charmed by the songs clear melody and simplicity. Maybe today`s artist don`t make songs that way anymore, but that doesn`t mean that this song is any good.

This is very, very simple music in my view, and not in the positive sense of the word "simple".

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 12, 2008 23:59

noughties
Substance is something more than bubblegum rock`n roll.

I get the impression that you are charmed by the songs clear melody and simplicity. Maybe today`s artist don`t make songs that way anymore, but that doesn`t mean that this song is any good.

This is very, very simple music in my view, and not in the positive sense of the word "simple".

so...a song that is more complex and intricate...with deeper, more
sophisticated lyrics is automatically a better song? and if it's
"bubblegum" it can't ever be good? hmmm..interesting (& condescending).

has anyone ever called you a "music snob"?

you are welcome to your opinion...but my opinion is that
you don't know what you're talking about. SOme of the best rock & roll
is very simple. simple riffs, simple lyrics, simple melodies...
(and i don't care what definition of SIMPLE you use)

IORR............but I like it!

Date: April 13, 2008 17:15

Hmm, I see your point..., Bowie`s "Ziggy Stardust" also has some unashamed, very, very, simple stuff, and alas, catchy.

When "The Independent", or was it "The Observer" reviewed ABB, "Driving Too Fast" some simply described as "a song about a man who drives too fast".

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 13, 2008 18:16

DTF is a wonderful rocker, I love Charlie's drumming on it!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 13, 2008 22:58

Four Stone Walls
Pretty Beat Up is one of Undercover's weekest tracks. Again, trying to build a song out of a riff. Keith's bass enlivens that one somewhat however - and the sax ain't bad either!

Well...I find Pretty Beat Up one of the best 10 Stones songs ever recorded...The moment Charlie enters the song with his snare roll it's my personal definition of The Rolling Stones.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home