Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Stones take a break for a year
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:39

with sssoul
Gazza dear, do you do a performance-type job for a living?
i wonder about that every time you say it's not hard work.

Oh please. it's hardly THAT taxing, and its not exactly akin to working down a coalmine.

Dont get me wrong - if they never worked again, theyve long ago earned the right to do so, but all this "the poor dears must be knackered" stuff is absolute bollocks.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:47

Uh, yeah, I know there are other places than the US. But I was talking strictly about the US. It seems all they play in Europe is football stadiums so that's why I didn't bother to say anything. Also it was about how it would or could be considered a short, or shorter, tour.

Is it me or are the football stadiums in Europe bigger than the US? Maybe it's the roofs.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:47

Gazza
ROLLINGSTONE
Probably not the news we wanted but entirely understandable. Everybody needs to recharge their batteries.

eh? Theyve worked for 3 months since November 2006 and have been totally inactive since August 2007 - unless you count attending three movie premieres as work.

Seriously - how exhausting can playing 30 shows in 3 months, living in 5 star luxury hotels and flying by private jet possibly be?

Anyway, there could well be some activity before that from what I've heard.

It's not about the number of shows they play and what kinda luxury hotel rooms they use - it's all about keeping the focus on the Stones machine.
that said, it's been a long non-stop time since they recorded A Bigger Bang and went out on tour.
maybe a band in their twenties would have finished all that schedule in a 3rd of the time - but they don't need to.
(besides unforseen accidents, btw)

it needs a clear end at some point to start a new project with new focus.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:49

Spud
ROLLINGSTONE
HelterSkelter
SPUD, have you heard his playing on SAL?? In the last few years it's really gone in a bad way... I'm not sure what year it started but it's getting pretty bad. SYMPATHY on SAL, that should have been over dubbed or something...SAD SAD SAD....

I just look at those knuckles and I feel so sorry for Keith. His joints must give him some pain and for a guitarist it will inevitably affect performance.
Still you never hear him moan about it.

Obviously his fingers ain't as nimble as they once were...but that's never been the basis of his guitar playing, He can and still does play the most rivetting and exquistely timed rythmn guitar and fills on the planet.
He could also quite easily come up with simple and effective solos if he applied himself. His main issue IMHO is that he can't be bothered. He prefers to wing it in the time honoured fashion. The results are sometimes a train wreck...but that's Keith.

<<< He can and still does play the most rivetting and exquistely timed rythmn guitar and fills on the planet >>>

Precisely !!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:51

.... one thing kids, this ain't the 40 something Stones, this is the marching towards 70 Stones. I mean, how many years do you think all 4 have without something going wrong with just one of them? They have been VERY lucky, look at THE WHO, BEACH BOYS, BEATLES.... Charlie's cancer comes back and that's it... no I think staying busy as THE STONES is the best thing for them... They probably have this thing of not letting each other down - maybe not even that aware of it.... I'm sure they do and it probably keeps them relatively healthy in a way - being there for each other - been doing it since what, 1962?....

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:51

>> Oh please <<

smile: "oh please" yourself, Gazza honey - i didn't say anything about "poor dears",
i just asked if your job is a performance type of deal. because (you guessed it!)
it does seems to me that you also exaggerate in the opposite direction.

Date: April 4, 2008 18:52

I can't believe they toured A Bigger Bang for five years! That must have been exhausting! And to boot: they still didn't play anything 'new' off of it other than the usual 3 or 4 tunes...

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:59

I'd like to see them make an album WITHOUT a subsequent tour. Music for the sake of music. I wonder if they could handle the concept? It might make for a helluva good record as it would be more relaxed and perhaps spontaneous.

Date: April 4, 2008 19:02

with sssoul !?!?!? Performance?? 3 shows a week at 2 hours a show?? that's 6 hours A WEEK.... yeah, KILLER WORK.... come on dear, now the 1969 tour, THAT was hard work !!! (I'm not saying it's not hard work from time to time but they couldn't stretch it out anymore than what they do now, what, 1 show a week?? And the 5 star travel luxury these days, forget it. This ain't the Beatles playing Hamburg in 62 - FAR from it)

Date: April 4, 2008 19:03

R
I'd like to see them make an album WITHOUT a subsequent tour. Music for the sake of music. I wonder if they could handle the concept? It might make for a helluva good record as it would be more relaxed and perhaps spontaneous.

They did that, it was called DIRTY WORK.......

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:09

Thats a bit harsh isn't it?

Date: April 4, 2008 19:12

Helter, i was addressing Gazza, for a reason. but meanwhile see open-g's excellent points:

>> It's not about the number of shows they play and what kinda luxury hotel rooms they use -
it's all about keeping the focus on the Stones machine.
that said, it's been a long non-stop time since they recorded A Bigger Bang and went out on tour.
maybe a band in their twenties would have finished all that schedule in a 3rd of the time - but they don't need to.
(besides unforseen accidents, btw) it needs a clear end at some point to start a new project with new focus. <<

Date: April 4, 2008 19:12

CBII

Yeah, OK, it was....

they did that, it was call EMOTIONAL RESCUE.....

Date: April 4, 2008 19:17

Good point with sssoul, I think it's time for a TATTOO YOU 2 type album (find those lost gems, worked the first time) and a NO SECURITY arena tour (after a 6 months break or there abouts) NO MORE STADIUMS !!!

Date: April 4, 2008 19:18

Ha ha. Let's not forget Undercover, It's Only Rock'N'Roll, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet.

Did Between The Buttons have any touring behind it? What about Sticky Fingers?

Ah, but you say what? 6 hours a week or something? You're forgetting sound check plus travel time. You might think sitting in an airplane or a bus or a limo or a nice hotel isn't tiring but you'd be surprised - it makes you tired.

And staying lit can't help.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:20

so i guess those studio 2008 rumors were just that

Date: April 4, 2008 19:24

freaking mick is at it again with that i dont care about the past nensence, so much for the vaults being opened

Date: April 4, 2008 19:27

Yeah, but it's a good tired... I used to do - Travel Photography (and will start up again if all the US airlines don't go into bankruptcy and FOLD...)

IORR - 1975 US Tour was for that one

STICKY FINGERS - UK/EUROPEAN TOUR

The others had no tour back up... But BEGGAR BANQUET got a lot of play from TV spots and Rock 'n' Roll Circus... HYDE PARK....

Date: April 4, 2008 21:02

with sssoul
>> Oh please <<

smile: "oh please" yourself, Gazza honey - i didn't say anything about "poor dears",
i just asked if your job is a performance type of deal. because (you guessed it!)
it does seems to me that you also exaggerate in the opposite direction.

I'm a legendary 'performer', dear...smiling smiley

Date: April 4, 2008 21:05

skipstone
Uh, yeah, I know there are other places than the US. But I was talking strictly about the US. It seems all they play in Europe is football stadiums so that's why I didn't bother to say anything. Also it was about how it would or could be considered a short, or shorter, tour.

Is it me or are the football stadiums in Europe bigger than the US? Maybe it's the roofs.

In general, they are (if youre comparing the main football stadiums to the NFL stadiums). That said, they tend to use a lot of baseball stadiums on recent tours, which tend to be even smaller again.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 4, 2008 21:15

Gazza
ROLLINGSTONE
Probably not the news we wanted but entirely understandable. Everybody needs to recharge their batteries.

eh? Theyve worked for 3 months since November 2006 and have been totally inactive since August 2007 - unless you count attending three movie premieres as work.

Seriously - how exhausting can playing 30 shows in 3 months, living in 5 star luxury hotels and flying by private jet possibly be?

Anyway, there could well be some activity before that from what I've heard.

Maybe so and I don't particularly subscribe to the ageist nanny-state thinking but in the world I live in if you had a collection of 60-somethings, one who had fairly recently been treated for throat cancer, another who'd suffered a serious head injury from a fall/suffers from arthiritis and another who has addiction problems and requires frequent rehabilitation I'd say they were maybe due a break.

Sure it's a glam, megabuck lifestyle and we gave them it but everything has a price.

But like yourself Gazza I hope there is some activity.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2008 21:21

I'm actually very surprised they're still taking another year off. Charlie and Keith made it sound that things were going to be starting up just around the corner. I don't think it's a good idea. They sorta have to act like they gotta beat the clock...no more long breaks. Even so...no more long tours. Instead: Short tours...short breaks...new album....short tour....repeat and repeat....

With Ronnie wanting to do a new album (and tour???), Keith doing a couple Winos tracks and Mick doing some films--it's obvious that they need one more year to get back into the Stones. It's always the same with them....after a huge tour and Stones Stones Stones...they need time off and they each do one BIG solo thing. Either a movie, CD or tour. Then when they're done having their time...they go back to their baby: The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 4, 2008 21:41

HelterSkelter
CBII

Yeah, OK, it was....

they did that, it was call EMOTIONAL RESCUE.....

Don't forget "Undercover" wise-guy.

Keith intended to tour "Dirty Work." Mick nixed it. "Emotional Rescue" was, in part, "Some Girls" leftovers, and "Indian Girl" notwithstanding, a good, though hardly great effort. Like "Undercover" it was allowed to sink or swim on its own merit and not as the catalyst for a massive tour. After 19 years of album/tour/album/tour I think the Stones AND their audience might enjoy music-for-the-sake-of-music refreshing, whatever the outcome. Such an effort would need to be fueled by artistry rather than commerce and I don't know if the Stones have that in them anymore. I'm guessing they don't even know themselves which is why the effort might yield something amazing rather than the predictable musical template the band has followed since "Some Girls."

Date: April 4, 2008 22:02

>> I'm a legendary 'performer', dear <<

Gazza honey we all KNOW that smoking smiley
which is why i explicitly specified that i was asking whether
what you do for a living is a performance-type job.
(i'm no longer really asking, you understand -
just having fun watching you wiggle away from the question smoking smiley)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2008 22:08

melillo
Whi said 2008?

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 4, 2008 22:21

Maybe keith is going to Elton's for the hair weave!

Date: April 4, 2008 23:15

Baboon Bro
melillo
Whi said 2008?

well keith and charlie made it sound like it was going to be sooner than later, so i just thought they meant this year

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 4, 2008 23:22

Black N Blue,

Thats straight up mean. Here in the states we would call that Player Hating. Keith is a personal friend of mine, please don't insult him like that.

Those guys have brought a great deal of very good music to all of us. They also made it possible for many, many established and up and coming bands a template to use for their success just as my father did for them.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 4, 2008 23:38

Gazza

I'm a legendary 'performer', dear...smiling smiley

"The girls still scream when you perform?" smiling smiley

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2008 23:39

Gazza
with sssoul
Gazza dear, do you do a performance-type job for a living?
i wonder about that every time you say it's not hard work.

Oh please. it's hardly THAT taxing, and its not exactly akin to working down a coalmine.

For those used to the coalmine that aint necessary worse.
Im some ways rock and roll tourin' might be tougher.
They can never ever get out off their rock self.
They travel between continents all the time. I wouldnt do it for a fortnite.

I can also tell the few here who dont know; that hotels become a bore
quite fast as well.

And I have never said poor b*ggers.

I think some tiny bit of despise towards musicians and cultural workers
is dwellin inside ya, good Gaz.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home