Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Stones take a break for a year
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:00

Don't know it this has been up here, but...According to usatoday.com there'll be no Stones-work for a year! Keith maybe to record some songs for the Winos.

[www.usatoday.com]

Re: The Stones take a break for a year
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:15

Probably not the news we wanted but entirely understandable. Everybody needs to recharge their batteries.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:15

Bad move, they're getting too old to have so much down time....Mick can do it but Keith isn't playing as good as he once did and it ain't gonna get any better. I'd do a big tour in 2009/2010 and QUIETLY (privately) call it a day....doing a few gigs here and there, once in a while if possible.... I just can't see this kinda show hit the road when they are in their 70's, sooner or later it's gonna end.... Time is not on their side anymore.....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:40

Problem is Keith weakens fast these days and needs quite some time to recover again. The price for a life . .

I can't really imagine a world without the Stones. On the other hand it's not fair to take that much money for a gig when you hardly can't play the guitar anymore.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:41

[www.expressen.se]

Read this an hour ago but couldnt find the source, thanks.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:43

Any theories? Sounds like Mick got fed up for now.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 4, 2008 15:52

A year isn't long . We're now in April. 2009 is only about 8 months away.
I suspect that by the time the Stones do work again, Keith will be in better nick than he was for the post bump on the noggin half of the ABB tour.
Looking back at it, he was probably more just plain tired and knackered than anything. Keith being Keith wouldn't admit it...but he needed to rest and recover.
I don't buy the "he can't do it any more theory". I just wish he'd get his head down a bit more, wing it a bit less and cut back on the mugging.
He can still play if he wants to.

Interesting that Keith says he and the Winos might cut three or four tracks for downloads because " nobody is interested in whole albums anymore"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-04 15:53 by Spud.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:12

"On the other hand it's not fair to take that much money for a gig when you hardly can't play the guitar anymore."
I agree, watching Chuck Berry these days is just sad sad sad!

Date: April 4, 2008 16:15

SPUD, have you heard his playing on SAL?? In the last few years it's really gone in a bad way... I'm not sure what year it started but it's getting pretty bad. SYMPATHY on SAL, that should have been over dubbed or something...SAD SAD SAD....

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:19

"when you hardly can't play the guitar anymore"

Have you seen SAL???

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:20

ROLLINGSTONE
Probably not the news we wanted but entirely understandable. Everybody needs to recharge their batteries.

i'm still recharging my bank account from 2007.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:25

"SYMPATHY on SAL"

One song????

Keith's solo's have been ropey for years.....

Doesn't mean he's unable to play. The ABB shows I saw were among the best.....

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:31

Yes, keith's bashing on iorr is starting again and incredibly enough on a live recording that is pretty much an official bootleg of one night with no overdubs and no edits out where basically he fu** up just one thing (and he does it badly!): the solo on SFTD. I just cant believe it

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:32

Well I quite like these quotes from that USA Today article, especially the second one.

"I feel blessed that I invented a way of life I can actually live with. I would have been no good at anything else. Carpentry? Rubbish. Plumbing? Forget it.

"People can say, 'He's a bit weird, but he's a funny bloke and he did give us a few good songs.' I'm comfy with that."

Yeah, not surprised they're taking 2008 off, why the hell not ? But they hardly need us genuis types to point out to them that perhaps time ain't quite as much their side anymore as once it was, so IF they're gonna do something or other again, a reasonable guess would be that it would be in 2009. And personally, I just hope that they forget about stepping out on this grand scale; i.e. doing yet another bleedin' great stadium tour etc, I'm wishing for them to opt for something or other on a lesser scale. Wishful thinking perhaps, but ......... !!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2008 16:35

What is the surprise-value in this piece of news?
Havent they been goin for like four year or so, studio album, pc,
a three year long world tour.. Gimme & give'em a break..

Date: April 4, 2008 16:35

Yeah, he has his "Off Nights" and his "On Nights". The point is, Mick and Charlie have gotten better and Ronnie's good when there's no drink around, when he's "on the wagon" Keith is the one that's gonna make or break the future of the Stones as a touring Band IMHO - the way he goes is the way the band goes. The thing about SYMPATHY is SAL is not a bootleg, it legit but yet they left that in.... don't understand the point.....

Date: April 4, 2008 16:56

HelterSkelter
SPUD, have you heard his playing on SAL?? In the last few years it's really gone in a bad way... I'm not sure what year it started but it's getting pretty bad. SYMPATHY on SAL, that should have been over dubbed or something...SAD SAD SAD....

I just look at those knuckles and I feel so sorry for Keith. His joints must give him some pain and for a guitarist it will inevitably affect performance.
Still you never hear him moan about it.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: April 4, 2008 17:23

Album next spring

Rehearsals in late july in toronto

gigs start in late august

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 17:29

chelskeith
Album next spring

Rehearsals in late july in toronto

gigs start in late august

What ... this came to you in a dream did it, or it's 100 percent factual - substantiated by the Rolling Stones press office no less ?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 4, 2008 17:30

It would be interesting if they did only a NFL stadium tour. That's...32 shows, right? Do it within 2 months. That could work.

Date: April 4, 2008 17:36

Adrian-L
ROLLINGSTONE

Too right Adrian-L same here but I'm hoping it'll get a boost tomorrow with the words "and it's Tumbling Dice by a length"! drinking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 4, 2008 17:49

No one is interested in albums anymore? I am. Did he mean the band and the work it goes into making one or people not buying them anymore? I'm guessing the latter. I don't think that's true - not yet. It's getting there. Especially with bands that seem to only work on 3 or 4 songs and then puke into the mic for the rest - they should just stick to doing singles.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:03

ROLLINGSTONE
HelterSkelter

I just look at those knuckles and I feel so sorry for Keith. His joints must give him some pain and for a guitarist it will inevitably affect performance.
Still you never hear him moan about it.

Obviously his fingers ain't as nimble as they once were...but that's never been the basis of his guitar playing, He can and still does play the most rivetting and exquistely timed rythmn guitar and fills on the planet.
He could also quite easily come up with simple and effective solos if he applied himself. His main issue IMHO is that he can't be bothered. He prefers to wing it in the time honoured fashion. The results are sometimes a train wreck...but that's Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-04 18:12 by Spud.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:09

skipstone
It would be interesting if they did only a NFL stadium tour. That's...32 shows, right? Do it within 2 months. That could work.

you are aware there is a world outside of the US ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:11

ROLLINGSTONE

eh? Theyve worked for 3 months since November 2006 and have been totally inactive since August 2007 - unless you count attending three movie premieres as work.

Seriously - how exhausting can playing 30 shows in 3 months, living in 5 star luxury hotels and flying by private jet possibly be?

Anyway, there could well be some activity before that from what I've heard.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:13

ROLLINGSTONE
Adrian-L
ROLLINGSTONE

Too right Adrian-L same here but I'm hoping it'll get a boost tomorrow with the words "and it's Tumbling Dice by a length"! drinking smiley

it's a cert- it can't lose!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:14

Baboon Bro
What is the surprise-value in this piece of news?
Havent they been goin for like four year or so, studio album, pc,
a three year long world tour.. Gimme & give'em a break..

LOL..every time I read about the length of that tour, it seems to be getting longer!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:18

Gazza dear, do you do a performance-type job for a living?
i wonder about that every time you say it's not hard work.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:19

Seems like I thought they were still out there.. Ok, two years, then smiling smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:34

What's all the fuss about?
So the Rolling Stones have a break after three years - big surprise^^

They all have some loose ends to pick up which they can't do when the Stones machine is rolling.
Keith needs to sit back to write songs and his autobiography. would be great to hear some new Winos tracks.
I can imagine Ronnie doing his Supergroup thing, will encourage Keith to do some of his own stuff anyway.
While Mick is busy doing production work on a movie and with Martin Scorsese.

doesn't really sound like they're going into hybernation^^

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home