Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shine A Light : PRODUCTION NOTES
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 2, 2008 20:35

Re: Shine A Light : PRODUCTION NOTES
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 2, 2008 22:24

thanks schillid - that will take some studying! but there's that list of numbers, not all of which are in the film -
Only Found Out Yesterday is the title of what Keith plays in Pirates; here i guess
maybe it refers to the second acoustic number in the closing credits -
but ... Drop Down Mama? is that in a rehearsal snippet?? and when are Paint It Black and Under My Thumb in the film?
or Fool to Cry, even if they got the title wrong? and so on. it's a mystery

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 22:34 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 2, 2008 22:34

Thanks! A lot to read...

But what's that "Only Found Out Yesterday", written and performed by Keith Richards?

- Doxa

Date: April 2, 2008 22:36

>> what's that "Only Found Out Yesterday", written and performed by Keith Richards? <<

sorry, Doxa - i was editing while you were writing.
see above for one thing that title refers to in another film, and a guess at what it refers to here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 22:36 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2008 22:37

Drop Down Mama .... Now where they hidin' that Sleepy John classic...????

ROCKMAN

Date: April 2, 2008 22:39

Ok, thanks with sssoul!

- Doxa

Date: April 2, 2008 22:42

with sssoul
thanks schillid - that will take some studying! but there's that list of numbers, not all of which are in the film -
Only Found Out Yesterday is the title of what Keith plays in Pirates; here i guess
maybe it refers to the second acoustic number in the closing credits -
but ... Drop Down Mama? is that in a rehearsal snippet?? and when are Paint It Black and Under My Thumb in the film?
or Fool to Cry, even if they got the title wrong? and so on. it's a mystery

I have heard "Under My Thumb" in one of those clips promoting the film - as a background music while Marty is talking or something.

- Doxa

Date: April 2, 2008 23:03

oh right - in the same scene where the trailer had You Can't Always Get What You Want
i didn't notice that in the cinema - or didn't remember noticing it, anyway. there was a lot going on.

but i want to hear all of Drop Down Mama! and the whole She Saw Me Coming rehearsal
[marching around with a gimmie gimmie gimmie sign]

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 2, 2008 23:07

dont forget the dvd is to come

OLDKR

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 2, 2008 23:10

Only Found Out Yesterday - that's gotta be Thru And Thru. Or however that tune is spelled.

What's with the songs that they didn't even play?

Date: April 2, 2008 23:11

>> dont forget the dvd is to come <<

[lighting the Incense of Bounteous Bonus Material
while marching around with the gimmie gimmie gimmie sign]

Under My Thumb is listed twice :E
and schillid, thanks again for posting all this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 23:12 by with sssoul.

Date: April 2, 2008 23:18

>> that's gotta be Thru And Thru <<

there's a character in Catch-22 who posts everything twice ...
see above: Only Found Out Yesterday is the title of the number Keith plays in Pirates of the Caribbean III.
(of course the title is plainly borrowed from Thru and Thru.)
the way it's listed here really does seem like it must be the second number played over the closing credits
after that wonderful Wild Horses.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 3, 2008 01:55

yeah, there's a brief clip of them rehearsing "Under My Thumb"; keith is playing a nice lick. I also noticed "Some Girls" in rehearsal, so I assume the same for thee others listed before the set list (Stones songs! not the classics. mick listens to Chopin as he flips through the [fictional?] song lists; I don't recall the Grieg).

unexpected space for Dirty Work in the band history! I'd add a line for Undercover too...

Date: April 3, 2008 01:59

with sssoul
thanks schillid - that will take some studying! ..

Don't get popcorn crumbs on your computer.
You're welcome.

Date: April 3, 2008 08:14

>> unexpected space for Dirty Work in the band history! <<

i've read that line about "fans wearing appreciation for DW like a badge of honour" somewhere before.

and the rehearsal bits ... okay, so Under My Thumb is listed twice because it's used twice? :E
and there's a bit of She Saw Me Coming rehearsed, so that's why that's there.
Paint It Black was played at the show, so we can hope it's in there as bonus material
along with Drop Down Mama and the complete uninterrupted Connection video to go with the sound

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 6, 2008 21:38

funny how blondie is not credited with guitar...

Date: April 10, 2008 01:52

There was a clip of the Stones performing Under My Thumb at the Fall 2006 concert in Chicago in "Shine A Light".It didn't last long - maybe ten seconds.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 10, 2008 02:15

Theif in the Night
There was a clip of the Stones performing Under My Thumb at the Fall 2006 concert in Chicago in "Shine A Light".It didn't last long - maybe ten seconds.

Ahh thats right, now I remember it exactly. They're on the b stage.

Damn, I had such fun at the IMAX in London last wednesday at the preview, I can't wait for it to be released this friday so I can head out and see it a few times!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-10 03:43 by Mr Jimmy.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 10, 2008 02:34

Are these part of press materials for the film?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 10, 2008 03:11

Schillid

where is this from? I just saw a "Media Packet" or something like that on e Bay which included production notes - probably these - and a cd in a case.

was going for something like 80 usd with 15 minutes to go, 7 bids. There is a TON of SAL stuff on ebay right now.

p

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 10, 2008 03:42

x

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-10 03:43 by Mr Jimmy.

Date: April 10, 2008 07:12

i found that "hip badge of honour" line: [www.rollingstones.com]
i feel like there's somewhere else i've read it as well, though - is it in the liner notes
of some other album too?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:37

Having looked through all the credits I would hazard a guess that the longest serving "employees" (using that word carefully) of Rolling Stones Ltd are:
ALAN DUNN
ARNOLD DUNN
JANE ROSE
TONY KING (off and on)
MICHAEL COHL -not classed as an employee
and JO WOOD of course!
I noticed also that Charlie doesn't require or earn an Assistant
But some of the Assistants have Assistants
That's show biz folks!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:25

Theif in the Night

It's also listed as: (Live in Chicago performance) the first time.

What's puzzling is that Satisfaction is listed twice, the second time credited as the Beacon performance, but none of the others are listed that way.

I suppose that means the recorded version is in the film somewhere, and only when a song needs to be listed twice are they required to differentiate the version as live?

J

Date: April 10, 2008 19:33

>> when a song needs to be listed twice are they required to differentiate the version as live? <<

that makes sense - ABKCO's rights have different boundaries for later concert renditions
than for the original recordings.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:59

"the number Keith plays in Pirates of the Caribbean III". Wow! I didn't realise he was - I thought he was just farting around. Is that - I have no idea - on the soundtrack or anything? Or is that just it, what is in the movie?

Date: May 11, 2008 03:09

Jumpin'JackFrash
Are these part of press materials for the film?

timbernardis
Schillid

where is this from? I just saw a "Media Packet" or something like that on e Bay which included production notes - probably these ...

Yes... media packet given out at the press conference.
Was given a copy.

Sorry so long to answer.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 4, 2008 02:11

as for the intriguing inclusion of 'only found out yesterday" that is being discussed here; here's a remark by reviewer Shirely Pollack from counterpunch.org (the full review is on Page 2 of BV's 'Shine A Light reviews etc...' thread)...
i don't think this answers any questions necessarily but this little grace note of sorts does sound intriguing...anyway, here's what she has to say about it:

"...In part of the DVD’s main feature, Shine A Light, Richards is seen wearing a red and silver pirate pin, a skull with crossed swords. It was a gift to him for his performance in Pirates Of the Caribbean: At World’s End. It is seen on his long black jacket as he performs “You Got The Silver.” As it turns out, in the Supplemental Featurette, there is a scene, presumably during a break of some sort, where Richards is alone on stage, engaged in his thoughts, and playing guitar. What he was playing sounded familiar. After an immediate second listen, I realized it was “Only Found Out Yesterday,” the same song Richards plays in Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End, in his role of Captain Teague.

The words from the song’s title, “Only found out yesterday,” are also lyrics heard in his heartfelt track “Thru And Thru,” from the Voodoo Lounge album. There is also part of the melody line that is reminiscent of that song, as well.

What is the connection with the line “Only Found Out Yesterday?” Well, there’s an interview question that no one has asked yet."

(p.s. thanks for the paste job with all that info Schillid)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-04 02:12 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 4, 2008 11:07

At least they made sure we'll be watching the DVD over and over, in search of the hidden songs ;-)

Jelle

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 6, 2008 23:02

schillid - are these production notes or part of a press kit? I saw an original set made for the berlin debut on ebay which was advertised as a press kit.

And then someone sent me a Word version but still with the SAL logo, etc, so thus official too.

p

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home