Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine A Light Sampler CD
Posted by: David700 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 19:34

Working out of a Universal Music office works for me! I got the 6 song sampler.
Shine A Light
Live With Me
Sympathy for the Devil
Loving Cup
She Was Hot
As Tears Go By

for all the times i have seen the stones live over 4 decades i have never seen then play SAL, LC & Tears!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re: Shine A Light Sampler CD
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 25, 2008 19:48

is that from a download or do you have actual (official) disk?
just wondering.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: March 25, 2008 19:54

offical disc

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 25, 2008 20:02

While your at it, open the vaults.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 25, 2008 20:11

mickijaggeroo
that is not my job

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 25, 2008 20:51

No, no David, please don't be a jobsworthwinking smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 25, 2008 21:30

Shine a light: Nice version. You can hear Mick Struggling with his voice though. Great playing by Ronnie!

Live With Me: A fresh, rocking version! Christina screams her lungs out! (Guess many of you won't like it, but I do.) Actually her voice seems to fit Mick's very well! A better version than the LARS cd-single version.

Sympathy: This is ok. Plenty og guitars up front which is cool. Keith plays an ok solo (Not of his best, but better than many of last years performances). Charlie does some "messy" fills, but the groove is there.

Loving Cup: Ronnie plays a nice slide-guitar. Charlie "messing" about a little againwinking smiley Don't know what to say about Jack White. His voice blends nicely with Micks, but is a bit out of tune here and there.

She Was Hot: Better than expected when seeing the video preview posted here. Keith an Ronnie duelling a solo. Cool! Nice Berry solo from Keith, but he get's very repetitive as the song goes on. (Reffered to as noodling by some...)

As Tears Go By: This is beautiful! Keith on a 12-string acoustic and Ronnie also on an acoustic. Very nice and tasty playing by both! Mick sings it lovely.

This is my imression after just listening through the songs a couple of times, and in general the sound of it is very good. Lots of guitars in the mix, and the other instruments well balanced. Mick does struggle a bit with his voice, but it doesn't seem to bother him too much. Lokking forward to the rest of the album and movie!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-26 11:24 by audun-eg.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 25, 2008 21:56

David700
mickijaggeroo
that is not my job

Attitudes like that, will get you nowhere winking smiley
Imagine being the hero of thousands and thousands of Stonesfans, would´nt that be more worth than a job? I mean, there´s plenty of jobs out there...C´mon, go for it!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: March 25, 2008 23:45

maybe you can scan the box,i am interested how this promo looks
thanks

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: March 26, 2008 05:19

mickijaggeroo
David700
mickijaggeroo
that is not my job

Attitudes like that, will get you nowhere winking smiley
Imagine being the hero of thousands and thousands of Stonesfans, would´nt that be more worth than a job? I mean, there´s plenty of jobs out there...C´mon, go for it!

i don't work for unversal, i run a label out of the universal canada offices.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:12

I've listened to the sampler and I hate to say that I'm not in love with it. Thankfully, there's a movie that goes with it which I know I'll love. But the music itself as I find in the sampler---isn't anything that blew me away. "She Was Hot" was the highlight. My two issues that I think linger throughout the songs are two problems:

Mick's singing

and Keith's guitar playing.

Charlie is fantastic. I've never heard a bad performance from Charlie and he impresses me again. Ronnie...hmm...can't recall hearing too many Ronnie licks except for a brief but so beautiful slide at the beginning of "Loving Cup."

Anyway...Mick's singing bothered me throughout. At moments he became extremely nasally. To the point, where even I couldn't make the best of it. It's such a nitpicky thing but still made me notice it.

Keith...I can't disregard his performance for the entire album considering we only have a sample here and coincidentally all these songs were Keith not doing any warhorses (JJF, STU or BS) with his Fender Telecaster. Instead he's got the gibson strapped on and he's noodling the entire time. I absolutely cannot believe how many times Keith does that one lick...it's that long lazy bend. Does he think we don't remember him playing it a second ago? I have no idea why he does not use the blues penatomic scale during Sympathy. He sits on 4 notes constantly throughout it. He shines on "As Tears Go By" with his beautiful 12 string flourishes. His Chuck Berry solos are unmatched as it was in "She Was Hot." "Sympathy" is a little lazy. He takes his time with the solo and just listening to it makes me wonder what the hell is going on? He's taking so many pauses in between each lick.

The only reason I've noticed Keith more this time is because these are 6 songs right after the other that feature Keith not doing what he does best (anymore) which is soloing and not slashing away chords. Normally these songs are separated with other songs like "Tumblin Dice" and "Brown Sugar" so it softens the blow. It's a bit of a punch in the face to hear Keith play this way song after song as it was in this sampler. It only confirms the fact that Keith's playing has changed. How did it change? Who knows? I am definitely not getting into that. But changed, it has.

I think I'll like the music more when the visual is attached to it when I see the movie. It is extremely premature and stupid to make comments like what I'm going to make but...listening to this sampler made me realize that one day (if not already) the Stones will only be great to actually ATTEND a concert to but not to listen to at home on your stereo. They're perfect for a concert: to party, enjoy the music and have them play in front of you but the days of putting their live and hardly overdubbed performances on record are drawing to a quick close.

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:33

I love the reviews. I completely agree with all of them. It does not blow me away but I am sure onceI see the movie it will be great. My fav. of all them was Loving Cup but thats because of the guitars and Mick's singing. I really wish they didnt have Jack White, its to much country. Other than that I'm not to excited about the others. But of course thats all I listening to right now.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:55

Justin Hit the nail on the head!

I've lurked at this site for years and finally had to register to thank him for putting words to Keith's playing. I couldn't figure out how to describe that "long lazy bend," but it depresses the heck out of me every time he plays it.

I listened to the sampler on my couch last night and said, "I want so badly to like this, but I'm having to work too hard."

That said, I am reserving judgment until I hear the whole thing. In She Was Hot his soloing never gets lazy, and the playing on ATGB is gorgeous.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:56

Justin hits the nail on the head. Keith takes too many solos during the live performances of the past few years, and keeps covering the same old ground. Compare his playing now with the live stuff from 78 and 81 especially...makes me nostalgic for the old days when Keith would lock into a groove with Charlie, or weave with Ronnie. Now he prefers to pose for the crowd and knock off an easy riff - usually that one with the long bend (ie C) followed by the two quick notes (D & G) played four times. I don't know why his playing changed - it can't just be the physical condition of his hands

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 26, 2008 07:18

TeaAtThree
Justin Hit the nail on the head!

I've lurked at this site for years and finally had to register to thank him for putting words to Keith's playing. I couldn't figure out how to describe that "long lazy bend," but it depresses the heck out of me every time he plays it.

I listened to the sampler on my couch last night and said, "I want so badly to like this, but I'm having to work too hard."

That said, I am reserving judgment until I hear the whole thing. In She Was Hot his soloing never gets lazy, and the playing on ATGB is gorgeous.

Haha well I'm glad my post made you register! Welcome aboard and please do post more often.

Yes, that bend depresses me also. Every time I heard it on the sampler I couldn't help but shake my head. I couldn't believe how many times he did it. I think he does it at least once in every song.

Angus MacBagpipe, nice job tabbing what that bend is--yes that is what he plays. I'm not sure when he started doing that lick but it needs to go away.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 26, 2008 10:21

Posted by: hodouvodo ()
Date: March 26, 2008 10:28

Does it say 'Promotional Use Only' or 'PROMO' on the CD or Sleeve Cover? Does it have a "Pic Sleeve"??? How can I get one?? You also, going locally: to see the Premier of SAL, somewhere?? just curious..

Date: March 26, 2008 11:31

Angus MacBagpipe
Justin hits the nail on the head. Keith takes too many solos during the live performances of the past few years, and keeps covering the same old ground. Compare his playing now with the live stuff from 78 and 81 especially...makes me nostalgic for the old days when Keith would lock into a groove with Charlie, or weave with Ronnie. Now he prefers to pose for the crowd and knock off an easy riff - usually that one with the long bend (ie C) followed by the two quick notes (D & G) played four times. I don't know why his playing changed - it can't just be the physical condition of his hands

And his lovely playing on ATGB showa that he's still able. A 12-string acoustic is much harder to play than a 6-string electric. What bothers me the most is that he continues playing the bending riff during Ronnies soloes! When I fell in love with Keiths playing in the late 80's it was because of his hard hitting chord-riffs! He has played some lovely solos, but let's face it: He is (or was?) the Riffmaster!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: March 26, 2008 11:37

This seems more promising, though... And surely nice to see his custom tele!

Picture of Keith bashing

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 26, 2008 12:41

She was hot!

Man that is a HOT version! Great, great, great.

Miss Aguilera is a pleasant surprise too (vocally, I mean. Haven't seen the movie yet).

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:05

there's one up for sale on ebay

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Lazy Bones ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:16

a second one now up...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home