Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Could SAL be the best Live lp since YAYAS??
Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: March 24, 2008 19:23

I had high expectations, but what I heard so far is sort of a mixed bag. On the one hand, I thought the guitars sounded quite good on the tracks I got my hands on. Lots of energy, good mixing, and even something new on Some Girls and She Was Hot. On the other hand, I thought Mick's vocals on both those songs were pretty sloppy. On Some Girls, aside from skipping the line about black girls, the singing is pretty passionless. On She Was Hot, he sounds out of tune; almost as if he can't remember how the song goes. Overall, I am quite happy with Shine a Light, Loving Cup, and As Tears Go By. The question for me is whether the songs I haven't heard yet sound more like the former or the latter. I have no doubt it's going to be enjoyable, but I was (am?) hoping for something really great.

Date: March 24, 2008 21:03

I listened to the 6 tracks available now, and this is not the best since Ya-Ya´s. It´s maybe the best since No Security IMO. She Was Hot and parts of Live With Me and As Tears Go By is good. Surprisingly, the weakest link is Jagger. His singing is not up to par IMO.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 24, 2008 23:08

No.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 24, 2008 23:44

I love how everyone listens to 6 songs out of the context/immersive experience of the actual album/film and immediately says it is crap.

Fer chrissakes, the album hasn't even come out yet and you're debating about whether or not it's good!

How about everyone takes a break from the Stones until the film comes out. Visit your families. Spend time making a new friend. then (once you've seen the film AND listened to the album) you can tear it apart to your hearts content.

We're all burnt out by the last tour and all the negativity that has just swelled inside of us - boo hoo, setlists are getting shorter, boo hoo Keith will never recover, boo hoo back-up musicians, boo hoo! Everyone's pretty much trashed them to the point where we want them to fail it seems - we're just waiting to see them slip and then let fly with the comments.

Does anyone remember a day when they just used to like the Stones? Nothing more, nothing less?

I seriously think that everyone should check out from here for a while, don't listen to the music, don't think about it, whatever, and go into the film and album with an OPEN MIND.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2008 05:01

Eh? I was comparing past released live tracks. Having watched the She Was Hot video a few times...that might be enough to form an opinion, just like any other clip on the web that one has seen a few times and thought it's great or bad or whatever (like that one of Sway - terrible).

I just remember people hoping the mix would be across the board instead of following the camera and...it follows the camera. So there are already some opinions - it's not the end of the world. Whether or not I like the trailers or the sound or I think they phone it in on whatever I'm still excited and am gonna hopefully go see it and no matter what I am buying the album.

When it comes out, we'll know. Seeing it loud in a theatre will be fantastic no matter how good or bad the performances are.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 25, 2008 13:44

It will be "The" Stone´s Live Album!!

Well, that is a feeling of mine...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 25, 2008 13:46

I suspect it'll be better than Live Licks, No Security and Flashpoint.....

Date: March 25, 2008 14:28

<I just remember people hoping the mix would be across the board instead of following the camera and...it follows the camera.>

The cd mix is not following the camera.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:20

One can't compare this to Ya-Ya's, that's just not reasonable, or any official or unofficial live recording up to 1982.

On that note, I'm hoping it can top most of disc 2 of Live Licks.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 25, 2008 15:42

These recordings were done at the time when the Stones were postponing shows left and right because of a throat problem that Jagger was supposed to be fighting.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:23

Did anybody notice the change in the sound of Jagger's voice after the first verse of Shine A Light? It's either a change of Jagger's voice EQ'ing during the final production (which would indicate a sloppy production job) or the first verse was dropped in from a different performance. Either way it is quite noticable and sounds strange somehow. Not like the poor Rocks Off-edit on Live Licks, but even with vocal overdubs I did not notice any such sloppy production thing on YaYas! One would think that nearly 40 years onwards better technology should prevent such things...

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:41

I like all the live albums, no real complaints about any of them. This one will be great too.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:51

Isn't it great that SAL is even been compared to Ya Ya's nearly forty years later....

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 26, 2008 00:32

i like all the live stones cd,s.

and as all of them have included an average of 7-8 previously unreleased live material then its not as if we can complain its the same songs rehashed.

the standard varies on all these cd,s considerably but overall its quite high, im amazed of the amount of people who pan "still life", i think its great, especialy "shattered".

hope its not too long before the stones release a live cd of various songs from the bigger bang tour taken over different gigs.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:59

I think the band played A LOT better on other live albums, if we compare the band playing on Still Life with the 6-7 songs from SAL we got: a band that rocks but doesn't roll, guitars ON TUNE on Still Life with guitars OUT OF TUNE on SAL including 70% of random riffs, great Mick vocals on SL and an adult Mick on SAL trying to sing the best he can now.

The boys are pretty old, SAL would be a good live album for sure but I will always rate LYL and SL above SAL.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:15

Still Life is a nice little live album but it's no Live At Leeds or Ya Yas. Don't you think you should hear all of SAL before deciding it isn't as good as SL Georgie?

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:15

At least Mick still throws off plenty of attitude in Some Girls! That clip is very entertaining - he seems to be enjoying the hilarity of the tune. And it is DUMPY!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:40

I think still life sucks big time, don't get me wrong I love the 81 tour but the bootlegs blow still life away.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:15

most wont ever know,, basically, no ones gonna buy it.........

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:15

From just listening to those snippets and the boots I'm afraid musically (from the playing) it'll be the worst live-set yet!
The licks tour (Live Licks) was superiour.

Only 2-3 songs seem to be really good plus some nice moments here and there.
But the recording will be good and hopefully they managed to work it up by clever mixing/ overdubs,etc.

After some weeks on the market we'll see where it stands in the Stones live canon.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:26

FrankM
Still Life is a nice little live album but it's no Live At Leeds or Ya Yas. Don't you think you should hear all of SAL before deciding it isn't as good as SL Georgie?

The CD would be good, the song selection alone is great but I know what to expect: Rolling Stones in 2006.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home