Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Could SAL be the best Live lp since YAYAS??
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 22, 2008 22:06

Just heard Champagne&Reefer on Sirius and along with the other snippets from the show I've heard, THIS could be incredible!! Absolutely LOVE the sound and the performance so far. Cant wait till the Japaneese cd arrives (May just have the get the US version at best buy also if the JP version isnt shipped till April 9th)

Re: Could SAL be the best Live lp since YAYAS??
Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 23, 2008 00:53

At least there won't be overdubs, as in Ya Ya's, one would think.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 01:53

I thought it had been settled that no instruments were overdubbed on Ya Yas. Just vocal overdubs on half the tracks by Jagger and a few backing vocals by Keith.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 23, 2008 02:04

lamemodem2
I thought it had been settled that no instruments were overdubbed on Ya Yas. Just vocal overdubs on half the tracks by Jagger and a few backing vocals by Keith.

Thanks for the clarification, as I was unaware that only the vocals were overdubbed. Still...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 23, 2008 13:10

well, YaYas does not have "guest stars" who ruin songs like Live With Me and Loving Cup!!! thats a big harm done to the impact of SAL! such a pity because Live With Me and Loving Cup are really well played, but the guest stars spoil me no end.

just compare Sympathy from YaYas with Sympathy from SAL - it will answer your question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-23 14:02 by alimente.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:04

from the promo songs i've listened no way this is going to compete in the same league as get yer
still can be the quality of the prelisten files that does not match the real product
i am not fond of duest too, alimente, but i have to admit that aguilera is doing good job on live with me
sympathy imho is damn bad
good SWH, good SG but to get to the status of Get yer...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:11

alimente, run out of cereals this mornin'? DrPeter actually asked
abot best Live lp, didnt he.. He didnt ask for best renditiomn
of SFTD, we all think it has worsened.

Just wait till it's released, right!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:27

Best since Yayas? No way.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:30

can it be as bad as "3 sides of love u live or live licks.I hope i am proven wrong.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:48

apples & oranges imo

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:51

Could it be the best since Ya yas? Yes, up there with Stripped. It's awsome, and I hope they've captured the magic of those two nights on the upper west side. Havn't heard the entire album, but nice snippets and they're very promising.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 23, 2008 14:52

from all Stones' live albums I don't love only Still Life (sax on Beast Of Burden, shut this up!).

Love You Live has energy, Ya-Ya's is first best live album ever (second - Live At Easy Street by Pearl Jam, any fans here?), third No Security for sweet setlist and 4th Live Licks for awesome work of all musicians. (edit: oh, I forgot Stripped, yeah its great too tongue sticking out smiley)

I still haven't heard the whole SAL but I think it's gonna be somewhere between No Sec and Ya-Ya's smiling smiley

anyway, is it only me again looking for a problem ^^, or do you guys also would like to hear live album with, lets say, 8 tracks, with SFM lasting for 8min, with 20min Midnight Rambler, You Got Me Rocking, Wild Horses, Rain Fall Down and Sway, and that's all? smiling smiley or maybe 7 track thing, Soul Survivor live... smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-23 14:53 by Amused.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 23, 2008 15:32

DrPete
Just heard Champagne&Reefer on Sirius and along with the other snippets from the show I've heard, THIS could be incredible!! Absolutely LOVE the sound and the performance so far. Cant wait till the Japaneese cd arrives (May just have the get the US version at best buy also if the JP version isnt shipped till April 9th)

Champagne & Reefer is one of the absolute highlights in the movie - instant love.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: March 23, 2008 16:49

CanĀ“t wait. I just hope the dvd is released ASP. One occasion, the bootleg recorded in Beacon wasn`t really fantastic,, overdubs..

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: March 23, 2008 16:55

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 13:37 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 23, 2008 16:59

>>One occasion, the bootleg recorded in Beacon wasn`t really fantastic,, overdubs..<<

what's that you're saying?
Yes, the bootleg has a miserable sound-quality - but overdubs? haven't heared one yet.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 23, 2008 17:15

UrbanSteel, OK, my mistake, by saying "Still Life" I meant whole tour ;-) They played BoB on almost every show and on every bootleg from this time I got smiling smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: March 23, 2008 17:18

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 13:36 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 17:56

I do like live licks - it has a brilliant sound, good up front mix (low backing musicians) and an energetic feel. It also has quite a few songs new to live albums. If you were to take out the bad cuts (Rocks Off) and leave in the rarer songs and maybe add in a couple of others you would have something special. As it is, the numerous warhorses on CD1 and the poor editing mean it will forever be seen as a poor quality release - unjustified IMO.

No Security had a good song list but sounds really dead. If only they could have mixed it better and maybe mastered it better too it could have been brilliant. As it is, it just misses the mark entirely and I can hardly ever play it in it's entirety.

Let's face it - the Stones have hardly ever managed to put out a live record that accurately reflects the greatness of their live perfomances. Brussels Affair, the unreleased 72 live album or something similar would have tipped that balance but they were never released so can't be counted. Stripped came close but again just missed the mark, as good as it was it will not be remembered outside of stones fans as a classic live album, not least because much of it wasn't live.

I don't know what SAL will sound like but I hope it is better than LL, LYL, SL, FP, Stripped etc. In fact, despite not being too keen on the version of SG I have very high hopes. Let's just hope I'm not let down.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 23, 2008 18:07

We will find an answer in the next two weeks, but why does everybody hate No security, it is not so bad, I enjoy OOC and FTS and SM on it.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 18:10

windmelody
We will find an answer in the next two weeks, but why does everybody hate No security, it is not so bad, I enjoy OOC and FTS and SM on it.

I like the songs but the sound of the album is just really dead. I can hear that they were all well performed but it is all ruined by an uninspired guy behind the mixing desk in the studio. It's a shame really.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 23, 2008 18:24

Sjs 12, I agree about the sound!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 23, 2008 19:03

i think no security is great, good choice of song good sound

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 23, 2008 22:17

Nothing can beat Ya Ya's........just listen to "Stray Cat Blues"

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 23, 2008 22:22

I dont hate No Security.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 23, 2008 22:30

I wasn't impressed with the Some Girls video clip I saw.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 24, 2008 03:51

If SAL could be the best Live LP since YaYas? It is possible, but we won't know until we will be able to hear the damn thing in it's entirety!

However, I don't think that any Live LP since YaYas is really bad. It's just that out of all Stones live albums, YaYas has stood the test of time at best. I loved all live albums when they came out, nowadays some I like some more than others, but YaYas always was and still is a different beast. The flow of the music, the sheer musicianship, the dreamlike interaction between the players is unequalled until now. Another thing with YaYas is that those live renditions are not just reproductions of their studio counterparts. Several songs come in drastically rearranged versions which almost turned them into different songs (Stray Cat Blues, Love In Vain, Sympathy For The Devil) - simply f***in' brilliant!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 24, 2008 06:00

Shit, Dan isn't impressed.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 24, 2008 06:10

It will probably be better than live Licks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-24 06:12 by ryanpow.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 24, 2008 18:09

No Security sounds good - it's a really good mix. Live Licks sounds good too - Brown Sugar snarls. The edits, eh, I dunno. Brown Sugar is short - it's even funny that they cut out the one bit but left the yeah yeah bit that happens AGAIN...

I think the reason Ya-Ya's sticks out so much as being such a great 'live' album is that the performance of the band is unique - they've never sounded that inventive or that good since. They've never performed with that energy since. Then they were rocking through SFTD. It's been on cruise control since 1989. JJF never sounded better and it hasn't since then. That's been on cruise control since 1975 and it remains terrible to this day. Stray Cat is slinky. Live With Me moves. Now when they play it it's actually more like the LP version - lethargic only more so. I like the Ya-Ya's version better. The LP version sounds lazy on purpose. But now when they play it live it just thuds along.

Having songs reappear on live albums over time obviously creates comparisons, as I am doing here. Which version of Live With Me is better? Ya-Ya's or the Stripped B-side/Rarites or the No Security one? We all know the answer to that one. As much as I dig Gimme Shelter from the movie I prefer the No Security version. Etc...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home