Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Best Ever
Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:03

Cuttinfg aside all the recent mediocre DVD performances what is the single very best song performed by Stones on film/video etc

In my view its MSG Satisafaction on Gimme Shelter DVD

Followed a long way behind by daylight............

Re: Best Best Ever
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:08

Hound Dog from Memphis 1978.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:25

Best recently I think is That's How strong my Love Is

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:27

ERC6761
Cuttinfg aside all the recent mediocre DVD performances what is the single very best song performed by Stones on film/video etc

In my view its MSG Satisafaction on Gimme Shelter DVD

Followed a long way behind by daylight............

I'll have to agree with that choice. I can watch that over and over.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:33

Around and Around - '64 TAMI Show
(Very effective and sometimes beautiful camera work during this show)

LIV - L&G
(Its thrilling. For once the camera stays where the action is)

(BTW: I have no quibble with the above-mentioned '69 Satisfaction.)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:41

On video?

Honestly? - the one which still gives me chills and a lump in my throat every time I see it is Keith doing "Learning The Game" from Austin.

Little Queenie from Buenos Aires '98 knocks my socks off every time as well.

Brian working the crowd up into a frenzy during the performance of "Its all over now" from the TAMI Show (that whole performance is one of the best ever) is also worth a mention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-17 01:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 17, 2008 02:09

Gotta be "Out Of Control" off the "Bridges To Babylon Live" DVD.

By The way, recent DVD performances are far from being "mediocre": it shows the best live act out today, in fact.

Rolling Stones Best Band In The World.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 17, 2008 03:41

last 20 years: thru and thru at MSG licks tour.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 17, 2008 04:33

ditto Out of control from Bridges... was watching that this last weekend
plus Learning the Game at Austin

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 17, 2008 05:51

That's How Stong My Love Is -- good god, on both film and the live album, the ebbs and flows,peaks and valleys, it just grabs me. Wish they would bring that back live. Not saying the best, I rarely ever say that, except O2 #2 my best live show ever.

p

Date: March 17, 2008 07:46

am amazed that of the nine responses to date, six are tending towards what i would call recent perforances ie 1980's and beyond.

I thought there was consensus that the golden age in all respects was 69 to 75

Date: March 17, 2008 11:06

timbernardis
O2 #2 my best live show ever.

p

Yes, that one was amazing! Shine a Light!!!

Date: March 17, 2008 11:43

in fact I would go as far to say that all those favouring post 80's as best best ever have never even seen Gimme Shelter, otherwise its a no brainer. Another stand out performance on video/DVD is Sympathy from R N R Circus, it doesn't get much better than that.......

have to agree those TAMI clips are good, but its the 69 MSG footage that captures true essence of band at its peak, you can sense the excitement/tension in the air

as for the being "the best live act out today" get real, this is just not the case, good but not the best............

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 17, 2008 12:05

"recent mediocre DVD performances"

Eh? nearly forty years later and the stones still can produce so what you on about?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 17, 2008 12:22

That's How Strong My Love Is at Paris Olympia without a shadow of a doubt. It's almost like going back in time to 65. Jagger hasn't sung with so much conviction live since the 70s...maybe even the mid-60s. Tremendous soulful performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-18 15:29 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 17, 2008 12:27

That's How Strong My Love Is at Paril Olympia is a good choice, but I prefer Midnight Rambler from MSG 2003 on FF.

Date: March 17, 2008 12:58

ERC6761
as for the being "the best live act out today" get real, this is just not the case, good but not the best............

Maybe some times they're not the best as far as the performance is concerned (mostly due to Keith underperforming, since Mick is the best frontman by a very long shot, Ronnie is back on track and Charlie is Charlie nuff' said), but they are by far the best in terms of excitement, entertainment, and shownmanship... and when Keith's on YES they are the best live act out, sorry!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 17, 2008 15:02

I also agree with the "That's How Strong My Love Is" from the Paris Licks show.

It's also proof that even in a tiny venue, Jagger is STILL the Greatest front man in the world!

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 16:24

Satisfaction from the Babylon DVD blows the Gimme Shelter version out of the water.Not even close. The GS Satisfaction is the worst I've ever heard.Sounds like Jagger hooked up with a garage band full of 13 year olds.

YCAGWYW from LSTNT is a great moment. The sound of Ronnie's guitar is what a guitar should sound like. My favorite Woody solo of all time.

I propose a new thread.

OT:The best best of the best threads thread

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 17:24

All Down the Line, Brown Sugar, or Jumpin' Jack Flash from Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones. Hands down, they're best performance caught on celluloid.

On DVD, I would agree Satisfaction at MSG in '69 was fantastic! Of their post '81 shows I would agree to add "Out of Control" in '97, and without a doubt, IMHO, Mick's most energetic and best performance of a song "Sympathy" on RnR Circus.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 17, 2008 18:17

Are we talking official releases here?
You Can't Always Get, RnR Circus!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: March 17, 2008 19:04

Here's a few to ponder:

Brown Sugar - BBC Top Of The Pops 1971, only Jagger is 'live' but visually great!

Midnight Rambler - Paris 1976, Aux Les Abbatoirs TV broadcast

+ anything from the 1995 'club' gigs broadcast on 'Stripped'.

Agree that Love In Vain from Ladies & Gentlemen and Satisfaction from Gimme Shelter are superb!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 17, 2008 19:28

Shine a Light I suspect will take some beating......

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 17, 2008 19:34

seen a clip of "heartbreaker" live from 1973 on you-tube, it was awesome.

"shattered" live from 1981 was great aswell.

"love in vain" from 1972 was fantastic.

"little t and a" from 1981 was great.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: March 17, 2008 20:04

yapyap5
Satisfaction from the Babylon DVD blows the Gimme Shelter version out of the water.Not even close. The GS Satisfaction is the worst I've ever heard.Sounds like Jagger hooked up with a garage band full of 13 year olds.

Smoke a bowl (or four) and then rethink what you just said.

Date: March 18, 2008 01:58

thanks JJFrash for bringing some sanity back into the debate..........got a feeling that the age profile of the posters on this site may be a factor.

For anyone who was around in the early 70's and were into Stones at the time, there just no way they can be saying Babylon performances were on a par with the 69-75 period. I still maintain that all those responders have not yet seen GS or Circus or LGRS.......their knowledge of Stones is from recent years and no matter how good they are today, just not as good as before. Fact of life, happens to us all.

Furthermore if you need any further evidence of 69 live Stones v 80's/90's live Stones just look at the audience, at MSG they were on their feet and just smokin (literally), as much part of the performance as the band - crowds at Stones gigs these days (as has been amply discussed here before) are seated, restrained and having been paid the big bucks want a return on their dollar.

I know which I prefer - MSG 69 or some echoey Starbucks sponsored stadium

Date: March 18, 2008 02:01

and Ablett SAL basically slots into the same category as the recent mediocre DVD releases, pretty much more of the same.

Which is why there is increasing demand for all the old stuff/vailts to be opened up.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 18, 2008 03:45

Gazza
On video?

Honestly? - the one which still gives me chills and a lump in my throat every time I see it is Keith doing "Learning The Game" from Austin.

This is a great performance. Musically it sounds cool. I also love Keith's Delivery. When he nods and points to the crowd singing "Thats when Your learning the game". Its like he's really speaking from experience and giving advice to people in the crowd. Gives me chills and a lump in my throat too.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: March 18, 2008 04:53

Jumping Jack Flash from "Gimme Shelter"

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: March 18, 2008 05:50

Happy from Ladies and Gentlemen. Intensity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-18 05:52 by Ringo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1620
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home