Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith on piano: "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby"
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 13, 2008 04:56

I didn't know Keith played piano until I saw this. Or is he faking it?
How about Charlie's glasses!

Re: Keith on piano: "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby"
Date: March 13, 2008 05:00

Is Mick flirting with a mullet?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 13, 2008 05:15

Yup Keith has always played piano. And plays very well. He says he likes to write with a piano at times because it's a diferent approach from the guitar.

Here's his most famous evidence of Keith and his piano playing:

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 05:47

Nice Justin! Nearness of You used to tear me up when my wife was going through breast cancer problems back in the late 80's. Happily she is alive and well these days, but that rendition always brings me back to those times and makes me feel thankful she is still here to share my life with.

What a shame Keith and Gram never taped anything when they played together. I always thought this material would be wonderful to hear as those guys really seemed to connect musically. Maybe something will surface, but alas it seems unlikely after so many years.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 13, 2008 07:39

filstan
Nice Justin! Nearness of You used to tear me up when my wife was going through breast cancer problems back in the late 80's. Happily she is alive and well these days, but that rendition always brings me back to those times and makes me feel thankful she is still here to share my life with.

I am happy to hear that your wife is still with us!

Re: Keith on piano: "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 13, 2008 07:55

The Sicilian
I didn't know Keith played piano until I saw this...

That's a Hammond organ and they're miming.

It's not much of a stretch for any good musician to get something out of a piano, there's a few tracks from the 60's that feature Keith on organ and/or piano, all very basic.

Keith is shown playing mellotron during the We Love You film.

Re: Keith on piano
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:14

there's some interview where Keith talks about liking the fact that piano
"lays everything out in front of you" in set-up that stays put -
such a simple observation but he poignantly expresses how very odd it is to spend your entire life
peering over the edge of a piece of wood hanging from your shoulders

meanwhile a highly worthwhile site about those 81 piano sessions: [www.studiowner.com]
that's just one page out of a few about Keith's reconnaissance mission to Longview Farm;
there's more music on the following page. and the whole "book" is really worthwhile,
about the Stones' rehearsals there. have fun

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:19

More Keith on Piano

Date: March 13, 2008 08:23

BluzDude
More Keith on Piano

same version sung live, I think

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:27

Keith bangs out some of Honky Tonk Woman on the piano on one of the Four Flicks dvd's... I think Madison Square if I recall

Date: March 13, 2008 08:32

>> sung live <<

right: the vocals on the Sullivan shows were live, but after February 1966 the rest was playback

Date: March 13, 2008 08:38

with sssoul
>> sung live <<

right: the vocals on the Sullivan shows were live, but after February 1966 the rest was playback

No wonder the timing was perfect.

Date: March 13, 2008 10:00

>> No wonder <<

smile: ah but it is a wonder - making music at all is a wonder,
and something like that ... thanks and praises
(they weren't "unlive" when they made that playback recording)

- november 1966 by Tom Keylock (courtesy of BrownEyedGirll)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 13, 2008 15:37

Yeah, they are miming, but perhaps there is not barely an occasional 'image' reason why Keith picked up the piano:

"Yeah, I played piano on Let's Spend the Night Together, and then I overdubbed the guitar. To me that song was a progression from Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby. It was like Have You Seen Your Mother was a step toward Let's Spend the Night Together, because the chords and the structure of the song are very similar. And the fact that I'd wrote them both on piano, one was almost the same as the other. " - Keith Richards, 1982

I would not say that Keith was any strong pianist - at least at the time of 66 if ever - but he has those strong instincts what to do with the instrument, how to make especially songs out of it. It's just the quality of song maker of how to do it. You don't need much technique - think for example, how Jagger with his limited guitar technique created things like "Sympathy For The Devil" or "Brown Sugar". I once remember Keith describing the making of "Let's Spend The Together" barely by playing the riff of "Satisfaction" with piano, and that's was it...

People usually praise Brian Jones for his multi-instrumentalism - that he could make decent or even beautiful sounds from any instrument 'just like that'. That mght be true, and great for him, but I think the musicality of Keith and Mick went even further: they could compose songs with an instrument 'just like that'. Different kind of geniousy.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-13 15:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 13, 2008 16:02

The limited access we have to Keith's piano playing confirms that it's really much like his guitar playing. Not based on any great technical ability but carried by his feel,timing and touch.

Date: March 13, 2008 18:31

From Keno's website:

HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER, BABY,
(STANDING IN THE SHADOW)

Recorded August thru September, 1966. Released as US & UK Single in September, 1966.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger Guitars: Keith Richards & Brian Jones Bass: Bill Wyman Drums: Charlie Watts Piano: Ian Stewart Brass: ?

RUBY TUESDAY

Supposedly the lyrics were written by Brian Jones & Keith Richards, with the music written by Jones, but he was never credited. Recorded in November & December, 1966. Released as a US single on January 13, 1967 and went to #1 on the charts. Released as a B side single in the UK also on January 13, 1967. Released in the US on the album Between The Buttons on February 11, 1967.
Vocals: Mick Jagger Recorder: Brian Jones Piano: Brian Jones Acoustic Guitar: Keith Richards Cello: Bill Wyman Drums: Charlie Watts Backing Vocals: Brian Jones and Keith Richards.

Somewhat of a different lineup in the video.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 13, 2008 18:44

clarkemf
Keith bangs out some of Honky Tonk Woman on the piano on one of the Four Flicks dvd's... I think Madison Square if I recall

Yeah, wish he wouldnt do those things, part of the post 80s show. Ronnie runs across the stage during Miss you, Keith hammers on the little piano on HTW.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 13, 2008 19:11

I've heard a recording of him doing Heartbreak Hotel on solo piano. It was on Randy Bachman's CBC radio show 'Vinyl Tap'.

You all would have loved that Stones-based episode!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 13, 2008 19:57

filstan
Nice Justin! Nearness of You used to tear me up when my wife was going through breast cancer problems back in the late 80's. Happily she is alive and well these days, but that rendition always brings me back to those times and makes me feel thankful she is still here to share my life with.quote]

Yes Filstan - good to hear your wife got the better of that most horrible of diseases. Someone very close to me has been going through it too recently. Always encouraging to hear a success story.

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: March 13, 2008 20:40

On Ruby Tuesday, he only played the piano when they were performing it live in the earlier days, right?
So, he doesn't play it in the studio on Between The Buttons or what?

However, I love him playing the piano. He plays erally good, and I also remember him saying "When I'm home I sometimes try a little Bach, which I know I'm useless at, to distract myself" or something like that.

Well, Keith, how about you come over and we play Bach together? grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 13, 2008 22:24

He plays a nice piano part on Too Tight after the solo, some seconds but it's great.

Date: March 13, 2008 22:29

The Sicilian
From Keno's website:

Keno's crediting is often rubbish.

Very doubtful that Brian plays guitar on either of those tracks and although Bill's books credit Brian with piano on Ruby Tuesday, the presence of Jack Nitzsche during those late 66 sessions makes me seriously doubt that.

Date: March 13, 2008 23:21

His Majesty

Keno's crediting is often rubbish.

Very doubtful that Brian plays guitar on either of those tracks and although Bill's books credit Brian with piano on Ruby Tuesday, the presence of Jack Nitzsche during those late 66 sessions makes me seriously doubt that.

You are refering to the studio tracks I assume, in the video Brian is playing guitar in HYSYMB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-13 23:24 by The Sicilian.

Date: March 14, 2008 00:09

Wow Sicilian. Thanks for that retro look at Have You See Your Mother Baby. It's the first time I've seen the video. That song was my first introduction to the Stones. I bought the single in 1968, a couple of years after it was released. Great to see the original line-up. THAT WAS THE STONES.

Date: March 14, 2008 07:57

The Sicilian
You are refering to the studio tracks I assume

Yes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home