Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chris Robinson on Stones bootleg
Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 12, 2008 13:45

In an interview with "Off the record" (Dutch magazine) Black Crowes' singer Chris Robinson talks about bootlegs and says:

"A few nights ago I played Philidelphia Spectrum of The Rolling Stones 1972 on vinyl and I thought: Wow, this must be the best show ever!"

Re: Chris Robinson on Stones bootleg
Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: March 12, 2008 14:31

He is right

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 12, 2008 14:42

One of the best anyway....The original Phili Special, MCV version on RSGL, simply RULES. WAY better than the Swinging Pig, no noised to death version. Keep Your Motor Running, is stunning too, but in MONO.

JR

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 12, 2008 18:01

Hot Shows indeed. What does the original Philly Special sound like? Similar to KYMR? Much hiss? Or did the Swinging Pig people just push a little too hard?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 12, 2008 18:11

stone-relics
One of the best anyway....The original Phili Special, MCV version on RSGL, simply RULES. WAY better than the Swinging Pig, no noised to death version. Keep Your Motor Running, is stunning too, but in MONO.

JR

Please JR . . what do you mean by MCV on RSGL ? And vinyl or CD?
Better than original S. Pig vinyl boot (which was quite hissy) ?!?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 12, 2008 19:32

Is that the show where Mick says 'Thank you Philly. Thank you' in an almost sincere voice? I think they go into Gimme Shelter after that on the one I have. And then later on in some goofy voice ahhhh thank yaa very much?

Date: March 12, 2008 20:32

CousinC
stone-relics

JR

Please JR . . what do you mean by MCV on RSGL ? And vinyl or CD?
Better than original S. Pig vinyl boot (which was quite hissy) ?!?

Vinyl Boot...RSGL (Rolling Stones Great Live-is the record label, etched into the dead wax) MCV, MULTICOLOR VINYL edition. Black and White, laminated cover. Swinging pig editions used a different photo and are in color. Issued in he mid 80s, made in Germany, by the Predessors of Swinging Pig. Chris Robinson mentioned vinyl at the top, so, I figured it was a given. sorry for the mixup. Here is the record, although comes in 5 different color combos. I like this one, the last pressing, as it had the photo inserts (same two photos on the inside of the gatefold)....got rid of the other 4 variations a coupla years ago. All of the variations are hens teeth rare...I think a coupla hundred of each. But its a KILLER...performance AND quality.

JR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-12 20:35 by stone-relics.

Date: March 13, 2008 11:21

NICE cover, I see they borrowed the front design for an inner sleeve of the Touring Party box set. Nice lables too!

I still remember how excited I got when I first put on the Swinging Pig one. You could get all their releases legally here in Germany then. And they were all over the place. Those were the times...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-13 11:28 by Greenblues.

Date: March 13, 2008 14:35

The Swinging Pig is nice, I have MCV of both Philadelphia Specials. Part 2 is MUCH better sound....as is the Rocks Off LP.

I think the Rocks Off is TSPs best sounding LP. They learned to control the No Noise....

JR

Date: March 13, 2008 17:09

And that's exactly the point where I switched to CD. Sh.....! ;-) Still glad to have the CD at least. Fantastic show too. Maybe a little bit sloppy here and there, but amazingly raw. They even reviewed it in a HiFi-Magazine over here, believe it or not. And termed it the best sounding "legal" Stones boot of the lot.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-13 17:35 by Greenblues.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 13, 2008 17:16

Chris's got a good taste...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 13, 2008 18:35

Greenblues
And that's exactly the point where I switched to CD. Sh.....! ;-) Still glad to have the CD at least.

The CD is just like the LP - apart from not being analogue...and not having such a great gatefold cover
Stone-relics is right; I also think Swingin Pig's work on Rocks Off is superior to their prior releases.
Nevertheless; the Dogs&Cats release "Happy Birthday Nicky" contains Perth and first Sydney show in best ever quality....recommended.!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-13 18:38 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 13, 2008 19:54

...saw that one also in the shops at the time. Double CD with the Australian tour logo on it, wasn't it? Must have been a different label, though, cause DAC wasn't working then. I think it was Oh Boy, a label from Luxemburg.

Anyway, great to hear I didn't miss too much with my CD-Copy of RO. And as good as vinyls are, I rarely play mine at the moment anyway. Sad but true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-13 19:55 by Greenblues.

Date: March 13, 2008 20:36

Oh Boy's version from 1992 is not very good, Greenblues
The new D&C is much better

Date: March 14, 2008 11:34

I see. I rememeber reading the sound quality of the Oh Boy version was inferior to Rocks Off, so I sidelined it a little bit. Also, the liner notes read "Perth, first and second show" (which was wrong as we know) when I supposedly had one complete show from Perth already (which was also wrong - @#$%& liner notes!).

But now there's a new entry on my list. I'll try to get the DAC version. Thanks for the info!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-14 13:15 by Greenblues.

Date: March 14, 2008 16:09

Perth / Sydney 1973 from above...somebody must have traded my tape. I havent heard those cds, but if they are as good as my tapes, then they ARE darn good.

Keep on colllecting.

JR

Date: March 15, 2008 14:53

Might the "The original Phili Special, MCV version on RSGL", the one that RULES, be available somewhere within this site. I tried looking and can't seem to find that particular recording.

You've got me intrigued...now I need to hear it for myself.

Date: March 15, 2008 15:28

I dont have a digital version of it. Only on cassette and the record. Dont have a way to digitize it. Sorry about that. You might be able to put a request for it on Hot Stuff, as I am sure someone has it.

JR

Date: March 15, 2008 22:41

Haven't heard the RSGL LP...unfortunately; but the best sound for this material - CD wise - is the 2nd edition gold CD of Philadelphia Special from VGP. Maybe they just copied a cracklefree RSGL LP ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home