Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:The Moody Blues
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2008 04:56

OK,another week,another fossil rocker for me to go see....LOL...Actually really looking forward to this one. One of the few bands I can say I've never seen before. The Moody Blues,no reason really. I've always liked thier music and they tour pretty regularly. But, everything aligned just right,so I'm finally seeing them Tues. night at a small theatre in San Francisco. It also happens to be the tour opener. These guys have had to have been around almost as long as the Stones right?...Anybody seen them in recent years?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-04 16:15 by sweetcharmedlife.

Re: OT:The Moody Blues
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 4, 2008 05:16

Haven't seen them but liked a lot of their stuff. Justin Hayward did some good vocals on War of the Worlds which I vaguely remember scared the crap out of me at some late, substance-enhanced parties during my misspent youth. (Or was that a well spent youth?)

Date: March 4, 2008 05:20

SomeTorontoGirl
Haven't seen them but liked a lot of their stuff. Justin Hayward did some good vocals on War of the Worlds which I vaguely remember scared the crap out of me at some late, substance-enhanced parties during my misspent youth. (Or was that a well spent youth?)

Either way works for me STG.smiling smiley...But yeah I like Justin Hayward. He pretty much IS The Moody Blues from what I've seen and heard in recent years...But this will fill in one of the holes on the old Rock & Roll resume.

Posted by: jimpietryga ()
Date: March 4, 2008 06:30

Seen them probably 10 times in the last 8 years or so....3 original members and they do a great job !! Their new music in the last few years is especially good and they usually do a few of these. Too late to buy the cd's now but I usually like to hear the new music a few times before I hear it live.
You'll have a great time!!!! Let us know...

Date: March 4, 2008 09:54

Wow, they're still around?
I saw them several times in the 70's and 80's...1986 was the last time I saw them but I do remember they sounded great and played the hits. I'd see them again.
Why not?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 4, 2008 09:55

Speakin of... Just stumbled over the original to Go Now.. Bessie Banks

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: March 4, 2008 13:42

The Moodies play a great show. Hayward, Lodge, Thomas, and Edge are all great musicians and vocalists who never fail to satisfy. If you have the chance, see them!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 4, 2008 18:40

Always a great show. Haven't seen them in a few years...They don't come to France anymore.

Maybe this year I'll catch 'em in London.

It's amazing all that music they wrote between 1967 and 1972...Just incredible.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 4, 2008 19:55

I saw them at an outdoor show several years ago and thought they were pretty good. They were backed by the Nashville Symphony. They're gonna play at the Ryman in April, I'd like to go but not sure yet if I can. A friend is, so I'll at least get a good account of the show.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 4, 2008 23:03

I love the Moodies, and have seen them a few times in the 80's. The magical albums are from 67 to 72, then they had a few decent tunes in the late 70's thru mid-80's, but really went into royal lameness at that point in terms of their studio output. I am a BIG fan of their early stuff, but can't even stomach most of the later stuff. It's awful (imo).

There was a recent gig shown on PBS a few months back. Not a bad performance. The Moodies are legends, there's no doubt... you're surely in for a great show. Thomas is not in the line-up anymore, but I heard there is a woman who plays a great flute to replace him. It's too bad still, because he had some excellent vocals.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 5, 2008 19:07

How was the SF show? I almost went...

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 5, 2008 21:46

The Moddy Blues are in the TOP 10 of my Must-Have-Seen-In-Concert-List. I really hope, that I can see them also 1 day live.

Date: March 5, 2008 22:08

Keep watching their site, Ladykiller, they tour a lot these days...

Date: March 6, 2008 00:31

I went to the latest tour opener last night in San Francisco. First time ever catching them live. Good show,a lot of fun. I don't have the exact setlist,but they ran through pretty much every hit. Justin Hayward sounds good.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 6, 2008 06:09

glad to hear you had a good time. IM not that familiar with the moody blues, I just know some of their greatest hits. I like thier cover of "Go Now." did they play that one?

Date: March 6, 2008 06:18

No, I don't think they have played that one in quite a while Ryan. But it was fun. It wassmiling bouncing smiley at the Orpheum on market. Which very rarely has concerts. Talk about your Thee-A-Ta...LOL...No drinks allowed at your seats,or during the performance. Don't they know I have a liver to feed?...But A real fun night. The crowd actually seemed older than me,which is very rare.

Posted by: jimpietryga ()
Date: March 6, 2008 06:21

For those of you who haven't seem 'em...From 2 years ago...in Chicago

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 6, 2008 06:25

Nice pic jim!

Yeah SCL I remember being at the orphium when I was very small to see a play. Oaklands Paroumount is also a "theat-a" going experiene. I dont think they allow drinks there either but its a really cool venue. went there last year to see brian wilson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-06 06:26 by ryanpow.

Date: March 6, 2008 06:43

Yeah The Blues still put on a good show. Still turning warhorses like Ride My Seesaw,Question and espicially Story In Your Eyes and Knights In White Satin into crowd pleasers.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: March 30, 2008 04:31

Long distance voyager from around 1981 are my favour. But they peak in 1967-1972

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 30, 2008 05:01

You are probably right about that being their peak but they had a couple great songs in the Eightees. The Voice and another one I think it was called 'In Your Wildest Dreams" or something like that.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: March 31, 2008 00:32

You are right Frank. The Voice is from the album I mention, Long Distance Voyager from 1981. A great album. In Your Wildest Dream are the opening on a 1986 album. The Other Side Of Life. It is ok, but far from Long Distance Voyager. Then I Stop buy there album, they got really bad. But in 1999 they released Strange Time. That's a god album to. But after that I don't know what happen to them

Date: March 31, 2008 05:08

There are 7 studio albums and one live album from the 67-72 period that are really great, totally worth owning all of them if you like their sound from this period.

They didn't put anything out until '78 after that, and thus began a long stretch of sub-par albums, beginning with 'Octave,' which is a difficult listen. Then Mike Pinder left the band and they were never the same. I will agree that there are a smattering of enjoyable songs from those 80's albums, and I did enjoy a couple samples off that 'Strange Times' album from only a few years ago, but really, nothing compares.

It's nice they still play a lot of the older tunes live, and do it quite well. Ray Thomas has recently left the band too, so there are only really three members left from the golden era. His voice was essential, I think, as was his flute playing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home