Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Goddess In The Doorway
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 29, 2008 04:29

I was going through a box of CDs this week and found a copy of Goddess In The Doorway (with Blue on it even) that a friend had made for me. Along with Dirty Work and, uh, Emotional Rescue that I've been listening to this week, I started to play Goddess. So far it's just been the first track, what is that, Visions Of Paradise.

I like that tune. It grows. I think what bugs me is the production, all the swishiness of the percussion, etc...

So what I'm curious is, where among you that have it does it stand with the other 3? And does anyone like it? I listened to it when it came out maybe 5 times and then threw it somewhere. I'm not sure if it's any better than She's The Boss, which is quite bad.

Re: Goddess In The Doorway
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 29, 2008 05:00

I think She's The Boss is WAY better actually.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 29, 2008 05:13

I think Goddess has some great moments ie. Too Far Gone, Brand New Set of Rules, Dont call me Up. The thing that I hate is when Jagger tries to get too contemporary ie GUN which is just horrible.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 29, 2008 05:14

I enjoy listening to it. I like God Gave Me Everything.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 29, 2008 05:54

None of his albums are nearly as good as Wandering Spirit for me. Goddess, like Boss, has some good stuff on it. I like Hideaway and a few others, boredlines on guilty pleasure.

For the record I can't suffer through Primitive Cool.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 29, 2008 11:34

<Brand New Set of Rules>

Streets Of Love (Part 1) smiling smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:47

All I'd say is use a band live in the studio and not on a computer.There's now natural rythmn or swing and some tracks sound like samples have been pasted in.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:17

god gave me everything is a killer track. some other nice moments. but overall pretty boring. not to compare with wandering spirit (an amazing album)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 29, 2008 13:03

I think all the songs are great. But the very best thing of whole the set is the bonus track, Blue. I absolutely love it.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 29, 2008 13:11

1. Wandering Spirit - best Jagger solo effort
2. Goddess In The Doorway - very, good decent work
3. Primitive Cool - many people bitch about production, but it actually has a few great songs (Throwaway, Say You Will, Kow Tow, Party Doll).
4. She's The Boss - I never liked it. The only good songs are Just Another Night, Lucky In Love and Hard Woman (but only album version - single remix is horrible).

Worth mentioning is also Alfie soundtrack. Also some decent songs on it.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 29, 2008 13:29

Visions Of Paradise
Brand New Set Of Rules
God Gave Me Everything I Want

All good songs. I'd like to have heard them played with a live band, preferabley the Stones, in the Studio. I wonder how Jagger decides which songs will be for the solo work and which for the Stones.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: February 29, 2008 14:45

in addition to songs already mentioned, I'm fond of Joy and Lucky Day on Goddess. Wandering Spirit is by far his best, though. Wired All Night!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 29, 2008 15:10

I still listen to it quite a bit - it's a good car cd, but I agree with Franzk's order of Jagger's solo albums.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 29, 2008 15:31

Goddess is Jagger's second best solo album. I really like most of it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 29, 2008 16:29

1. Wandering Spirit (nice, balanced work)
2. Primative Cool (except "Let's Work", I really like "Say You Will")
3. She's The Boss (lots of humor, dated production values)
4. Goddess (somebody is trying too hard)

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 29, 2008 16:43

I really like the album, Goddess In the Doorway. I will never understand the vitriol associated with this work.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 29, 2008 16:47

I think there's 3 songs on Goddess In The Doorway that range from OK to good. They're still embarrassing to listen to.
Rest is absolutely awful. Sorry Mack, uh Mick.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 29, 2008 16:48

Shawn, do I owe you some CD's (Orlando, etc.)? If so , e-mail me. I deleted several people's addresses. Sorry.

The real Scotty

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 29, 2008 17:48

I think it's a great album and listened to it a lot. My favorites are Goddess, Don't Call Me Up, Brand New Set of Rules, Lucky Day, Blue, and Too Far Gone.

Date: February 29, 2008 18:06

I've always liked Primitive Cool because, for one, it has - not totally - better songs on it than She's The Boss and the production is a million times better. But Let's Work and the title track are pretty bad. Very bad. The title track is just smarmy. Let's Work is the weakest worst most tuneless song by Mick (I have never heard Bill Wyman's solo albums so I can't say it's worse than anything he's done and I've only heard 2 or so of Ronnies) yet alone any Stones tunes. It is the number one worst song in Stones history for me - solo and band wise.

I always thought Throwaway should have - could have - been a Stones song. And Lucky In Love, although with a better chorus. Obviously Just Another Night was - or still is - a Stones song but now that Mick has solofied it I bet Keith wants nothing to do with it.

Maybe Kow Tow could have been a Stones tune as well. Say You Will could have been better with the Stones, it's a very nice tune. And Peace For The Wicked is pretty good, it's slinky.

She's The Boss reeks of 1980s production - obviously - but that was the rage at the time. I think the songs - the tunes of the songs - still cut through the crap but it's all mired in that bullshit noise.

1/2 A Loaf is a cool tune musically, it's just got stupid words. Running Out Of Luck is interesting but a bit silly, which I think is kind of appealing. Secrets, for me, is the best tune on Boss.

There is no need to talk about anything on Wandering Spirit. There's nothing wrong with that album. It's perfect (or as close to perfect as Mick will ever get).

So I guess my spring is going to be listening to some of the slagged albums, like I have been with Dirty Work, and getting past the 'knowledge' of how bad they are and just listening to them for what they are - an album of songs done at a weird time - and go from there.

Albums should be like people - everyone is different. It's just sometimes that is not the case.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 6, 2008 16:44

GITD has a nice pleasant tracks on it. "Visions Of Paradise" is exquisitely produced to sound as bland as radio stations would require to play it. "Joy" is a first highlight, with Bono's contribution to the groove being comparatively negligible over Townsend's. "Dancing in the Starlight" suffers from the same production troubles as the single. "God Gave Me Everything" is all Lenny Kravitz, but it's nice to witness Mick as an interpretative singer again. "Hide Away" with its Wyclef production actually works very good in the opinion of this listener and is a personal favourite of mine from this disc. "Everybody Getting High" has got the album's best lyrics and would have done well as a Stones song. "Brand New Set Of Rules" is a good closer for the set. "Blue" is the only tune from the sessions that truly has that blues thing going on. I've found "Too Far Gone" and "Lucky Day" to be at least likeable at one point, but haven't listened to them in ages. The rest of the album is not worth mentioning.

Feel free to pick up a used copy of it if you're interested ;-)

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 6, 2008 17:31

1. Wandering Spirit
2. Goddess in the DW
3. Shes the Boss
4. Prim Cool

WS is obviously the strongest of the bunch, but I think Goddess is a better listen than the other two. For me, there are only a couple tracks that annoy me there, like Joy (even though I think Bono sings well on it) and Visions-- which simply sound waaay too top40 to me, almost like sitcom theme music. Cheesy guitar solos. But for me, both She's The Boss and Prim Cool contain a majority of annoyingly produced top40-esque pop songs and I can't even listen to them all the way through. There are no real greats on Goddess, but I like it better than the other two.

WS, otoh, is full of great tunes and plays like a Stones album for me. Don't Tear Me Up I think is one of the best singles Mick has written and recorded with or w/o the Stones since '81.

Date: March 6, 2008 17:49

God Gave Me Everything reminds me of, in some places, Ruthless People - probably Mick's best solo song/single EVER. Reminds me of - I mean there are some string and vocal elements that are similar to it. The songs couldn't be any more different from each other if they tried. But there's some kind of chime thing going on in GGME that is sonically similar to parts of Ruthless People.

How come that didn't make the Jagger hits comp? Is it even available on CD? The B-side was pretty cool too. What a bunch of bullsh*it that it isn't out on CD anywhere. If it isn't.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 6, 2008 18:26

TrulyMicks
I think it's a great album and listened to it a lot. My favorites are Goddess, Don't Call Me Up, Brand New Set of Rules, Lucky Day, Blue, and Too Far Gone.

I just realized I made a typo....I listen to Goddess often, not listened. 8)

It's a great album.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 7, 2008 03:00

Elmo Lewis
1. Wandering Spirit (nice, balanced work)
2. Primative Cool (except "Let's Work", I really like "Say You Will")
3. She's The Boss (lots of humor, dated production values)
4. Goddess (somebody is trying too hard)

I like the way you think you red,fuzzy creature!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 7, 2008 12:26

Best in my opinion
1. Goddess
2. Wandering Spirit
3. Alfie
4. She´s the boss
5. Primitiv cool

Posted by: Stones CAT ()
Date: March 7, 2008 14:51

1. Wandering Spirit
2. Goddess
3. Alfie
4. She´s the boss
5. Primitiv cool

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: March 7, 2008 16:21

God gave me everything is a real good track. I wish the Stones would have released a track like that on one of their latest albums.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2008 17:54

SHE'S THE BOSS is the worst with only a couple passable songs
GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY has a few good songs with a lot of awful dreck
PRIMITIVE COOL is a pretty good album marred by a terrible single
WANDERING SPRIRIT is brilliant. A gem from start to finish

The ALFIE soundtrack would fit in with GITD quite well

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:23

skipstone
Maybe Kow Tow could have been a Stones tune as well. .

I doubt Keith would have been too keen to do much work on a song which (like 'Shoot off your mouth' on the same album) is quite obviously a vitriolic diatribe against him.

I cant see how you can say these songs could/should have been Stones songs when they were cut at a time when the band had pretty much ceased to exist and Mick & Keith's only form of communication was insulting each other through the press. They were solo songs from the outset and with good reason

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home