Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
bridges to babylon
Posted by: bikerboot ()
Date: February 26, 2008 22:56

I actually like this album. Except for the Dust Bros. Bullsh*t. I seem to remember at the time of it's release Keith bitching about having "better mixes at home in the drawer" and saying it was okay for a solo Jagger album. Has any other mixes of BTB popped up? I would love to hear what Keef was talking about.

Re: Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2008 23:59

whoa nelly: Keith was only talking about Might As Well Get Juiced, not the whole album -
but yeah, he said they have a killer alternate mix of that one.
i love Bridges to Babylon 99 degrees. mature artists laying down an amazing body of work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 00:24 by with sssoul.

Re: bridges to babylon
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 27, 2008 00:08

I've always found Bridges to be...refreshing...when compared to Voodoo and for shits sake, obviously Steel Wheels, and so on...Dirty Work, Emotional Rescue, hell even Some Girls. I still like Undercover more than Some Girls. Everything but Tattoo You and Undercover. Actually I've listened to Bridges more than A Bigger Bang - and I LOVE A Bigger Bang. Keith's songs on Bridges are outstanding. Just supreme - probably his best ever.

But there are the ones that I skip a lot. Might As Well Get Juiced is one. Always Suffering is another. Gunface is the other one. The rest of it - pretty damn good I think. Even that B-side, as soft and sappy as it is, is NICE - it has nice playing on it. That's what I love, ultimately, about any new Stones release - it's one more album to listen to them play.

As I recall, Rolling Stone gave Bridges a 5 star review. Maybe it was because they had only been off the Voodoo tour for, what, less than a year? They got right back to it. What's so odd about it is how completely different it is next to Voodoo.

Did anyone get the Rolling Stone that had the Bigger Bang Stones on the cover? I had a slight problem at that time and never did get my subscribed issue of that. In fact, I even emailed them and talked to them, told them my problem - all I wanted, out of all the issues I did not receive during my subscription, was THAT one - to my new address.

Was it any good? I recall the Voodoo issue and the Bridges issue to be excellent. I still have those.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 00:12

for me the best of the newer records, i also like the dust brothers songs very much.
they should work more with that kind of modern producers.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 27, 2008 00:16

Keith must be reffering to just the song "juiced" when He said its "OK for a jagger solo album" because three of the strongest tracks on it are Keith's... "You don't have to mean it", "thief in the night" and "how can I stop" that is why I don't agree with the criticism of this album being just Mick's leftover solo material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 00:17 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2008 00:25

For all those "Might As Well Get Juiced" haters out there. I suggest you get the vinyl version and play it really loud.

You won't be disappointed!

On the other hand, I love this album. One of my top 5 from the stones.

Date: February 27, 2008 00:27

Mick's leftover solo material.

His last solo album was in 1993. Was he working on solo material after that?

I'm not positive about this but my guess on what are Mick songs on Bridges:
Anybody Seen My Baby
Might As Well Get Juiced
Saint Of Me
Gunface
Always Suffering

Those sure seem, to me, to be the most obvious Mick songs. Already Over Me seems like it could very well be a Mick/Keith tune. Obviously Flip The Switch and Lowdown are Keith tunes...Out Of Control just has to be both...not sure about the 3 Keith sings, they seem to be pretty much all him...Too Tight is just something they wrote while, I dunno, sharing a cigarette. And Anyway You Look At It - musically it seems Mick but it's got some interesting things happening in it that say Keith.

Date: February 27, 2008 00:31

I dont want to be misunderstood as a might as well get juiced hater. Ive never heard the stipped down version keith talks about, I would like to. I actually do like the version on the album a lot.

Date: February 27, 2008 00:33

skipstone

H...Out Of Control just has to be both....

im pretty sure OOC was a leftover Mick one.

It actually started out as a cover of "papa was a rolling stone". If you listen you can really hear the similarities. During the slow part.

Date: February 27, 2008 00:38

No, I thought the whole thing about Papa Was A Rolling Stone was more of a joke actually, that they sort of put that in there with a gleam in their eye kind of thing. That's how Rolling Stone viewed it. I recall it being Oh it's similar, yes...sort of trip.

Juiced is OK. It's just kind of bland, a long noisy...Down In The Hole is still much much better har har....and yeah, c'mon Keith - where is the better mix of it?

And whatever happened to the Babyface version of Already Over Me? Did Mick take the cultural temperature and decide that since Babyface was already on his way out that it wasn't worthy of releasing?

How right he was. If that's the case.

I dunno. Keith sort of made light about the Mick tunes on it and I don't recall Out Of Control being viewed as just a Mick tune. Well if it is a Mick song only then it's one of Mick's better tunes.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 27, 2008 00:38

skipstone

His last solo album was in 1993. Was he working on solo material after that?

I'm not positive about this but my guess on what are Mick songs on Bridges:
Anybody Seen My Baby
Might As Well Get Juiced
Saint Of Me
Gunface
Always Suffering

Those sure seem, to me, to be the most obvious Mick songs. Already Over Me seems like it could very well be a Mick/Keith tune. Obviously Flip The Switch and Lowdown are Keith tunes...Out Of Control just has to be both...not sure about the 3 Keith sings, they seem to be pretty much all him...Too Tight is just something they wrote while, I dunno, sharing a cigarette. And Anyway You Look At It - musically it seems Mick but it's got some interesting things happening in it that say Keith.

Didn't Keith say in telvision special that Already Over Me was a Mick tune and that he was more like a session musician on that one? Other than that, I think you may be right.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: February 27, 2008 01:02

I never saw anything on TV about the album (I didn't have a TV at the time). In fact, I was elated just to be able to catch the live radio St Louis show (I taped it). I hung out at home, that Thanksgiving whatever, with my cat and 6 4-packs of Guinness blasting the Rolling Stones live...and listened to the tape over and over and over and over...which was why I was so glad a live album came out...and then what was even more cool, personally, is that 2 of the St Louis songs are on No Security...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:13

skipstone
c'mon Keith - where is the better mix of it?

I'm dying to hear this version!

Maybe it was planned for the "Memory Hotel" album we discussed last week.

Date: February 27, 2008 01:14

Ahhhhh.....see? Another reason - those FU*CKERS! Yeah Mick - SITTIN' ON THE CAN...

@#$%&.

Date: February 27, 2008 01:39

skipstone
Ahhhhh.....see? Another reason - those FU*CKERS! Yeah Mick - SITTIN' ON THE CAN...

@#$%&.

I'll drink to that!! As I posted in another thread, how about a Four Flicks from 1969 thru 1975!!! I would love to see a complete concert from 1969.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:25

Bridges is such an excellent grab-bag of styles and experiments. It sounds like the Stones really pushing outward creatively--whether on Mick's work with the Dust Bros. or on Keith's staggering end-of-disc triumphs.

I love the album's mixture of spirit and nerve with hard-earned wisdom and experience. They're the threads that tie "Always Suffering" to "Already Over Me" to "Out Of Control" to "How Can I Stop" and so on...

More than a decade later, the album makes me very proud of the boys...

PS: For those who would knock "Juiced," that track is as much in the spirit of Exile side three as anything they've done.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:47

There is a bootleg of "BtB" called "Bridges to Babylon remixes" which contains a mix of "OOC" called the "Papa Was A Rolling Stone Mix" (10:10), where you can really hear the similarities. (My official CD single contains four more versions, none of them adding to the song)

Also on the boot is "Might As Well Get Juiced", listed as "Keith's Revenge Remix" (10:54). I can't really remember if this is better than the "original" mix as I haven't heard it for some years and it's too late/early to do it now. Perhaps tomorrow.....

The rest of the boot is as follows:

"Always Suffering" (Sentimental Remix) (09:27)
"Already Over Me" (Ambient Remix) (08:43)
"Anybody Seen My Baby?" (Orig. Remix) (09:41)
"Low Down" (12" Edit) (06:19)
"Saint Of Me" (Alternate Mix) (05:15)
"Anybody Seen My Baby?" (Armand's Tuned Club Cut) (09:32)

The whole boot clocking in at 70:15.

As far as I can remember, this is a boot you don't want to listen to again and again. You spin it a few times and file it under curiosa. I have never been too crazy about the Stones' remixes - except for "Miss You" , I think it is? ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 02:52 by mofur.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:51

That "boot" is a fake, made by criminals.

Date: February 27, 2008 03:02

Erik_Snow

what do you mean? is it other people actually playing the songs?

Date: February 27, 2008 03:10

Erik_Snow

Huh ?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 27, 2008 03:50

"Might as well get juiced" is a good song but the other day I was listening to XM radio, the Blues channel and a song from a guy named R.L. Burnside came on, it's called "Come on in" It's a blues song with a "loop" and the vibe is really haunting. The rythm is smooth and it drives you in the song; very modern and original. Right away I thought about MAWGJ and how cool that would have been if the Stones had done something similar with their song. Anybody knows that guy R.L. Burnside?
Mops

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:25

Erik Snow is correct. They are fake remixes, not authorized ones. Both Remixes discs were counterfeit. There are two Out of Control mixes worth hearing...Danny Saber's final mix is very good and the live version with no audience noise Don Was mixed is very good. Both can be found on different Out of Control CD singles. Avoid the Bi-Polar remixes like the plague. Do the poster who recommended playing the vinyl version of Juiced loud...is it different on vinyl?

Date: February 27, 2008 06:01

RL Burnside is awesome. If you stay away from the sampled loop stuff - which I like, to a point - you'll find a genuine bonafide rotten blues vamp dirty Mississippi bog blues that is just on the verge of falling apart but somehow keeps on goin' that cuts and tears through anything. And some of the timing can't even be written out.

But his real stuff is just rotten to the core!!!

WELL WELL!! Thank ya again!

Re: B2B
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:19

>> That "boot" is a fake, made by criminals. <<

yeah, that "Keith's revenge" mix thing is most definitely NOT the killer mix that Keith was talking about.
i don't know what the rest of that disk is like but i agree with Erik's assessment about that track.

i'm another one who doesn't have a problem with Juiced as it is on the album,
but someday i would love to hear the mix Keith loved.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 27, 2008 10:23

I hate BTB. Worst Stones album in my opinion.

Date: February 27, 2008 10:48

I think the closest thing to the remix Keith talks about is the live version from MSG smiling smiley It's great to my ears. But the song is mediocre at best. So is the album IMHO.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 27, 2008 11:55

Thanks Rocky Dijon and With Sssoul. I don't think it's nice to just rework something oneself and pass it off as "Rolling Stones".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 13:03 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 27, 2008 12:52

skipstone
I never saw anything on TV about the album (I didn't have a TV at the time). In fact, I was elated just to be able to catch the live radio St Louis show (I taped it). I hung out at home, that Thanksgiving whatever, with my cat and 6 4-packs of Guinness blasting the Rolling Stones live...and listened to the tape over and over and over and over...which was why I was so glad a live album came out...and then what was even more cool, personally, is that 2 of the St Louis songs are on No Security...

There was a TV special on a norwegian tv station around the time they headed out on the Bridges - tour. Got it on VHS somewhere.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 27, 2008 13:00

bikerboot
I seem to remember at the time of it's release Keith bitching about having "better mixes at home in the drawer" and saying it was okay for a solo Jagger album. Has any other mixes of BTB popped up? I would love to hear what Keef was talking about.

Keith bitching about Might As Well Get Juiced - well, obviously time heals all wounds because two years later, in 1999, he had no problem with Might As Well Get Juiced being used as intro music for the No Security tour. Makes me think that if a musician like Keith really dislikes a certain tune, he would veto against its use as opening music night after night while he is waiting behind the stage to start the show with all his might!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: February 27, 2008 13:05

I don't understand why so many of us put "Might As Well Get Juiced" down. It may be a love it/hate it track, but I find it quite effective and pleasent: the Stones playing around with contemporary sounds, injecting some Stones feel. Mick's vocals may sound like parody (they often do!), but I like the track in the way I liked, say, Undercover. And talking about the live version from MSG, it's one of the highlights of this particular show. It would be boring to hear them deliver standard Stones fare all the time - and even if they did: they didn't manage a new Start Me Up for many, many years.

Just look at some of the newer highlights: Out of Control - it works, cause they dared to have a Miles Davis like trumpet in it. When Mick sighs or barks or growls in these newer tracks he's not the cool one of old, but an older rock star giving his best, being Mick. In a weired way this is an honest thing to do for a band with colored hair and prop-stage-clothing, still pumping and refusing to die.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home