Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

8-Track Cherry Oh Baby Version
Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: February 25, 2008 16:53

Does anybody have the mentioned 8-track take of Cherry Oh Baby?
Is it a different take or just the official one (edited)?

760400C (probably) April: THE ROLLING STONES.
8-track-cartridge ‘Black And Blue’ (Rolling Stones Records TP 79104, -US).
Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Incl. an elsewhere unavailable version of
- Cherry Oh Baby (Eric Donaldson) -edited version

Re: 8-Track Cherry Oh Baby Version
Date: February 25, 2008 17:09

Last year,someone said that they were going to post in FLAC the 8 track alternate versions of Miss You,Shattered,and Beast of Burden but,I believe they only went up as mp3's.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 25, 2008 17:13

I will try and compare it later today.

JR

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2008 17:32

I read somewhere the other day that the 8 track version of She Was Hot was slightly longer. Don't know if it's true.

Date: February 25, 2008 17:40

I know that the promo music video version of She Was Hot is slightly longer also,there was an early extended version that a radio station got their hands on and broadcast.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2008 17:45

The extended version is one of the best I've ever heard. I wish they would release it in perfect quality.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 25, 2008 20:16

The video version of She Was Hot has an extra verse to it or something, slightly different words in one spot.

They were still releasing 8-tracks in 1983? It's funny that they'd put different versions on those than the vinyl and cassette records...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:02

Since 8-tracks consisted of 4 channels that were the exact same length, they would sometimes use longer or shorter versions of songs to balance the timing of the programming on the 4 channels. We got the longer version of Miss You, but I think (and I may be wrong) a shorter version of Faraway Eyes.

It was not uncommon for there to be several minutes of silence at the end of a channel, or a selection repeated to fill the space. The WORST thing was when the damn thing would change channels right in the middle of a song! All of a sudden, the song fades out - LOUD click - song fades in again. This happened TWICE on Sticky Fingers - right in the middle of Wild Horses and Sister Morphine.

What a crap format!

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 16:47 by Ross.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:40

Love in Vain (let it bleed)changed tracks at the beginning,which,i always thought was odd....

Date: February 26, 2008 02:15

Rumour has it that the 8-track version of Pink Floyds 'Animals' lp has extra music on it to allow a somewhat seamless transition from one track to another. But I haven't heard it.

Scotty

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:44

The Animals 8 track does have an extra track...My imputs are on the blink, so couldnt check the Cherry..I gotta buy some new gear...turntable works fine, though.

JR

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 26, 2008 12:44

(Experiencing deja vu here but anyway...)

Lou Reed's BERLIN on 8-track had an "interstitial" piece of music following the title track that was not on vinyl. I have the original CD but not the later remaster so I don't know if it was ever re-instated.

My favorite 8-track moment was on the title track of FUN HOUSE: it faded out right when Iggy was singing "We're being separated..." Someone had a sense of humor.

Also, I have Lou's METAL MACHINE MUSIC on 8-track (conveniently, each side of the vinyl release was a single track on the 8-track); it was amazing how different each of the 4 sides sounded if you switched from one to another.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home