Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Great black and white pictures from 1964 - 1974
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 24, 2008 13:17

Great black and white pictures from 1964 - 1974

Februari 24 , 2008

For download in one Zip-folder see Rolling Stones pictures from 1964-1974

Empty glasses, full itinerary!

The Stones pose by their tour bus with their guitars and trademark unsmiling expressions. It's early January 1964 and the group have just begun their second British tour.

April 8, 1964; The Stones pictured during a break in rehearsal for the Mad Mod Ball show at the Empire Pool, Wembley, in suburban London.

April 26, 1964; TV show Big Beat' 64. "I never did like wearing a suit. Maybe I'll like a suit when I'm 25." Mick Jagger.

June 1, 1964; The first press conference in Kennedy Airport, New York.

Early june 1964; While in L.A. preparing for their live American debut in San Bernadino, the Stones went on a shopping where they spent about $500 on clothes.

Brian Jones went along with this "On top of the world" shot to celebrate the group's first ? 1 hit on July 6, 1964.

August 2, 1964; The Rolling Stones onto the imposing flight of steps at the front of the Longleat House.

August 10, 1964; Mick Jagger and his lawyer Mr. Dale Parkinson.

November 26, 1964; Mick leaves the court after being found guilty of three traffic offenses.

Andrew Oldham was the first of a new breed of pop managers — hip, young and creativly-minded. At 20, he was even younger than the band he represented.

The Stones' performance at the ABC Theatre in Belfast on January 6, 1965. It was all smiles backstage, but when the curtain went up, the group were bombarded with dangerous objects as the crowd's enthusiasm threatened to get out of control. .

August 18, 1965: Mick Jagger and Chrissie Shrimpton pictured at the party to celebrate "the zaniest wedding of 65". Getting spliced were Swinging Sixties photographer David Bailey and up-and-coming French actress Catherine Deneuve.

August 23, 1965; After being made up for an appearance on Granada TV's Scene At 6.30, the Stones went to a neaby window to peer down on girl fans below.

September 8, 1965; Mick, Keith and Charlie try their luck on a roulette table in Douglas on the Isle of Man.

September 28, 1966: Mick Jagger and Chrissie Shrimpton narrowly escape injury when Mick's 25,000 midnight-blue Aston Martin DB6 was involved in a collision with a Ford Anglia belonging to the Countess of Carlisle in central London, near his Marylebone flat.

No one was hurt, but Jagger was none too happy: "I only bought the car three months ago," he said. "The damage is going to cost about 200 pounds."

The Stones fly off to America for a month-long tour on June 23, 1966. News that fourteen New York hotels had refused to accommodate the Stones obviously concerned Brian Jones, who clutches a copy of The Good Loo Guide.

Bill, Keith, Brian, Charlie, and Mick backstage at the band 's infamous Royal Albert Hall show. Jones had cracked two bones in his wrist while in Tangier, hence his bandaged hand.

Green Park, London, January 11, 1967. The shapes and sights of things to come. The Stones emulate the Sun Francisco hippie fashions that swept the world during 1967.

Green Park, London, January 11, 1967. The shapes and sights of things to come. The Stones emulate the Sun Francisco hippie fashions that swept the world during 1967.

January 22, 1967. Promoting their latest single, "Let's Spend The Night Together", at the Palladium in London. The band walked off as the revolving stage began to move, prompting the show's director Mr. Albert Lock to protest: "Who do the Stones think they are?"

On February 5, 1967, The News of the World claimed Mick Jagger had confessed to taking LSD.

That evening, the Stones performed on the Eamonn Andrews Show.

Mick used the occasion to announce that would be suing the newspaper for libel. Backstage, he faced a barrage of questions from an inquisitive press.

March 6, 1967. Mick Jagger, on his return flight home from Brussels, when he was met by Marianne Faithfull.

April 11, 1967. Jagger flies off to join the rest of the Stones in Paris.

April 18, 1967. Bedraggled! Mick, Brian and Charlie return home after the Stones' spring European tour ended with a huge show at the Panathinaikos stadium in Athens, Greece.

Mick and Keith step out of the guitarist's Redlands cottage to a beautiful spring day - and a car waits to take them to the West Sussex Quarter Session court.

Brian Jones, dressed in what one headline described as: "The gear that grandma used to favor". He is pictured at his Mellotron, ready to add a demonic instrumental part to " We love you".

This unusual session was shot at Olympic Studios, Barnes, in south London, on May 19, 1967. Mick Jagger in the control room with engineer Glyn Johns, holds a fetching grimace for the Daily Mirror photographer.

June 2, 1967. A typically dapper Brian Jones leaves a gaggle of girl fans speechless as he waltzes out of West London Magistrates Court after being bound over for trial in October.

July 4,1967. Mick and Keith in defiant mood in the garden at Redlands. Three days earlier, The Times newspaper had published, an impassioned defense and within a month, their sentences had been quashed.

August 13, 1967: Days after producing two songs for Marianne Faithfull, Mick and Marianne flew to Dublin for a Weekend trip. While there, they drooped in, apparently uninvited, at in the Butler Society Dinner, held in Kilkenny Castle. The pair, dressed in full hippie garb didn't fit and after grabbing a bite to eat, made a harried exit.

August 25, 1967. To the meeting with "Mystic from the Himalayas Maharishi Mahesh Yogi". After the late arrival of Beatle George Harrison had delayed the train's departure, the 3:05 from Euston eventually left the station with Mick Jagger and his incense-carrying girlfriend Marianne Faithfull sharing a carriage.

Jones looks haunted and guilt-ridden as he sneaks into the central London Harley Street Nursing Home after narrowly avoiding a prison sentence. Days later, he was recuperating in the Priory Nursing Home, in Roehampton, south London.

January 28, 1968. A bearded Brian Jones with Diana Ross, Supremes' lead vocalist. The pair were pictured at a party held for the American singing group at the John Bulls restaurant in King's Road, Chelsea.

The Stones pictured in their dressing room with the trophy for Best R&B Group. It was the fifth consecutive year they'd won the award, but it was to be their last - the annual show was canceled after 1968.

The band looked in better spirits than they'd done for some time, and received an ecstatic reception from the crowd after playing their latest 45, "Jumping Jack Flash", and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction".

It's great to be free! Jones receives some much-needed support from Mick and Keith after narrowly avoiding as jail sentence. "I was sure I was going to jail for at least a year," he told reporters.

[September 6, 1968; A Stone under pressure. Brian waits for lunch at the Ship pub in a break from his case at inner London Session. Girlfriend Suki Poitier and chauffeur Tom Keylock appear surprisingly relaxed.
/center]

The group made their first public appearance for six months as guests on the Frost on Saturday TV show, broadcast on November 30, 1968. These pictures were shot during rehearsals the previous day.

The group made their first public appearance for six months as guests on the Frost on Saturday TV show, broadcast on November 30, 1968. These pictures were shot during rehearsals the previous day.

A few weeks earlier, on October 12, Mick had starred in the first episode of the show discussing sex before marriage with the scourge of the permissive society, Mrs. Mary Whitehouse. The debate had been prompted by the announcement of Marianne Faithfull pregnancy - despite the fact that she was still married to another man, John Dunbar.

The Stones launch their long-awaited Beggars Banquet LP with a press party at the Kensington Gore Hotel's Elizabethan Room.

Mick Jagger's pie-in-the-face for Brian Jones provided the cue for an all-out food fight. Even guest of honor Lord Harlech, earlier described by Mick as "a groove, a lovely cat", needed his suit dry-cleaned afterward.

John Lennon and girlfriend Yoko Ono were among the guest celebrities at the Rolling Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus, television spectacular, but the show was later scrapped because the Stones were unhappy with the finished product.

June 13 1969. The Rolling Stones unveil Mick Taylor, their replacement for Brian Jones, at a press conference in London Hyde Park. "He's very level-headed", said Mick Jagger. "I don't think we'll have any trouble".

July 5, 1969: The Stones arrive for the Hide Park concert, the band's first real London show since September 1966. Behind Mick Jagger is new guitarist 21-year-old Mick Tailor, making his Stones debut.

July 5, 1969

Among those getting a stage-eye view were Marianne Faithfull (face hidden) with her son Nicolas, manager Allen Klein. MC Sam Cutler (in dark glasses), and sixth Stone Ian Stewart, nursing a bottle of beer.

With newly-shorn hair and a ragged beard, Mick Jagger - as Australian's legendary out-law Ned Kelly - looks on as the crew prepares to shoot the next scene.

October 17, 1969; Despite spending just one day in London between vacationing in Indonesia and flying to America, Mick organized this photooportunity to emphasize the Rolling Stones' new businesslike ways.

The Stones left Heathrow Airport on October 17, 1969 for their first American toir since 1966. On arrival, the band were greeted by a storm over the high ticket prices — but the shows were phenomenal.

December 8, 1969; Just hours after the show at Altamont, in California, where a fan stabbed to death in front of the stage, a somber-looking Keith Richard and Charlie Watts return to London.

Anita Pallenberg and four-month-old son Marion, were at the airport to meet them.

August 28, 1970: Anita Pallenberg, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard (with son Marion), probably the three most powerful figures in the Rolling Stones camp during the seventies.

Mick Taylor and his girlfriend, 22-year-old Rose Miller - proud parents of "Chloe, the new Rolling Stones baby"

March 5, 1971: The Stones' early seventies' vibe was markedly different from the just-holding-it-together mood of the late sixties. Jagger's pout and strut epitomized a new arrogance.

March 4, 1971: An early glimpse of Mick Jagger's new girlfriend "Blanca Marcas" (sic) as the pair arrive at Newcastle Central Station for the first concert of the Stones' spring 1971 British tour.

March 4, 1971: Mick Jagger talks to the press before the Stones' Newcastle City Hall show. The hot story was the band's intention to move abroad, widely seen as a way of avoiding Britain's redistributive tax system.

Keith Richard and Anita Pallenberg's south of France residence bore all the trappings of Hollywood-by-the-sea, and domestic scenes such as these were few and fare between.

Keith Richard and Anita Pallenberg's south of France residence bore all the trappings of Hollywood-by-the-sea, and domestic scenes such as these were few and fare between.

25 May 1972: Keith Richard and Mick Jagger in relaxed mood as a major, two-month-long American tour looms ahead.

The Stones made a rare exception to their own "no charity events" rule after an earthquake in December 1972 destroyed Managua, Bianca's birth-place in Nicaragua. The benefit show took place at the Forum in Los Angeles on January 18.

Unzipped for action. Mick Jagger flitted between a leather-look biker image and the more effete costumes of glam rock during the Stones summer tour.

Having just reached the grand old age of 30, there was considerable speculation that Mick Jagger would soon announce his retirement. But nothing in his stage performances suggested he was about to give up.

Mick Jagger turns up to lend moral support to his increasingly troubled collaborator-in-chief. Riachard admitted after the case: "it looked bad for me".

Keith and Anita arrive at court to face the charges. Behind them (far right) is the ever-flamboyant Prince Stanislaus Klossowski, who was with the pair when the bust occurred.

October 4, 1973: Kieth and Anita leave Marlborough Street Magistrates Court after being fined &205 on drug and firearm charges.

Keith surrounded by artefacts rescued from the fire that all but destroyed his Redlands house. The animal-skin rug is probably the one Marianne Faithfull infamously wrapped herself in during the 1967 drug bust.

November 5, 1973: Mick Jagger and Faces guitarist Ronnie Wood return from Munich where the Stones have been recording material for their new album. Mick Taylor was mysteriously absent from the session.

Ronnie Wood outside The Wick, his home in Richmond, Surrey. He told reporters that his romance with ex-Beatle George Harrison's wife Patti Boyd was "definitely on". Wood officially joined the Stones on February 28, 1976.

Source pictures

??????? 1964 — 1974 ? ???????????

Stones info group

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-25 18:39 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Great F*cking black and white pictures from 1964 - 1974
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 24, 2008 13:24

Great photos...!
...hmmm maybe it's just me who suspect most of these photos to be copied from this board; then again hmmm

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 13:42 by Erik_Snow.

The Credit Where Credit Is Due Department
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 24, 2008 13:46

>> This site has simply copied them.... Is there any attorneys on this board? <<

yeah, maybe Rockman's ... and a few other people's ... and i know how you feel Erik honey.
but all we do is scan/post them - and if even we would like credit, think how the photographers must feel.

actually most of these are i believe Daily Mirror Archives shots, or one of those newspaper archives
that bought the photos/rights from the photographers and never bother clarifying who took what.
maybe the site Urban Steel copped them from did credit the archive or book somewhere?

there must already be quite a few theses on The Effects of Digital Technology on Courtesy & Honesty.
on the other hand, the old manuscript illuminators were no doubt screeching blue murder
when the printing press was developed, so ... sigh: have some popcorn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 13:56 by with sssoul.

Re: The Credit Where Credit Is Due Department
Date: February 24, 2008 13:50

Yes you're right, With Sssoul, I just thought about the same things myself, so I edited my post, before your reply. THe pics are probably from some UK news-archive.

Re: F*cking great black and white pictures from 1964 - 1974
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 24, 2008 13:58

Nice collection

Date: February 24, 2008 14:00

>> I just thought about the same things myself, so I edited my post, before your reply. <<

ahh okay ... i was busy with my post and didn't see your edit. can i leave my post there anyway, Erik?
every once in a while i like to make the point about how worthy it is to credit the photographers whenever possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 14:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: February 24, 2008 14:22

Date: February 24, 2008 14:46

Yes of course, with Sssoul - leave it as it is.
Photographers should be credited; and bootlegs should give credit to the guy who recorded it/shared it, but for some reason they like to keep it secret.
However, I don't expect this Russian site's picture uploads to be legal....it's a nice compilation tho'

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: February 24, 2008 14:46

"August 2, 1964; The Rolling Stones onto the imposing flight of steps at the front of the Longleat House."

Wow,the very first Onstage-tickets :-)

Big T

Date: February 24, 2008 15:21

>> Photographers should be credited ... However, I don't expect this Russian site's picture uploads to be legal. <<

i know what you mean, Erik - but just to wave my Credit Where Credit Is Due banner a little more:
adding photographer credits doesn't make it legal to upload the photos - unless we own the rights to the shots,
or have permission from whoever owns the rights, it's not actually legal for us to upload them.
my Thing about crediting the photographers is more like ... if we dig someone's work enough to post it,
we should at least make sure to let people know whenever we can whose work it is we're enjoying.
otherwise it's like circulating a recording without saying who performed the music - except that with photos,
most people can't guess who took them unless we state it. so not saying it is (to me) like vandalism.

at least the Russian site's made a good effort toward letting us know the dates of the photos.
it's always good to know what we're looking at ...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 24, 2008 15:51

Everyone of those photos is in The Rolling Stones Files by Mark Paytress and I'll assume they are also in the Unseen Archives book, all via Daily Mirror Archives.

I do feel a bit, edgy and paranoid about all the pics I've posted as I know full well that it's illegal! Perhaps one day relevant copyright holders might chance upon this site and take action!!! eye popping smiley

I've been on the brink of deleting my photobucket and just sharing/trading them privately. I hate the idea of such amazing work sitting in some hidden archive though!

The least we can do, if possible, is credit the photographer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 15:57 by His Majesty.

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: February 24, 2008 16:40

Thanks for these great photos! They are appreciated

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 24, 2008 17:02

what a style ! they have it...

I like a lot the 25 May 1972 on, Keith in black, Mick in white.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 24, 2008 17:15

Thanks Urban Steel

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 24, 2008 19:48

The november 5 1973 picture of Mick and Ron? Is it really 1973? I would rather think 1975. The way they both look and dress suggests 1975. Am I wrong?Anyway fantastic pictures!!!! Thank you
Mops

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 24, 2008 19:51

I have to correct myself;it isn't 1975 but 1974.
Mops

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: February 24, 2008 19:52

Thank you so so so so much! Great pictures and although I already knew most of them, there still are some in this bunch I've never seen before. winking smiley

Date: February 24, 2008 19:53

>> november 5 1973 picture of Mick and Ron? ... I would rather think 1975. <<

the caption to it suggests 75 as well (and either not Munich, and/or not november)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 19:56 by with sssoul.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 24, 2008 20:36

Hey sis....im a vandal..winking smileyyes i can see your point and your right...but you know like this thread...you just get lost in the pics..such a beautiful time machine!... than you begin to think what year and who took ...its almost like a saturday night game...detective game.....cheers!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 24, 2008 23:49

Never seen alot of those. Excellent. Love the one with keith, one where he is sitting in that chair with his butt in his lawn.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 25, 2008 00:38

Great pictures,Thanks for posting them,Brian did look great in those earlier shots he was the most flamboyant of the bunch.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: February 25, 2008 00:43

What a great collection of pics!

It seems like I can't help but focus on Brian and his slow decline over
the years. It's really kind of scary and heart breaking.

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: Great black and white pictures from 1964 - 1974
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 25, 2008 18:37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 316
Record Number of Users: 135 on May 20, 2015 22:23
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home