Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cult UK Tour
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 23, 2008 03:27

Anyone going to see The Cult this week in the UK?

Re: Cult UK Tour
Date: February 23, 2008 23:21

Setlist from the Feb 22 show:

1. Sun King
2. Electric Ocean
3. Lil Devil
4. The Witch
5. Revolution
6. Edie (Ciao Baby)
7. Rise
8. Rain
9. Fire Woman
10. The Phoenix
11. Dirty Little Rockstar
12. Wildflower
13. She Sells Sanctuary
Encore
14. Born Into This
15. Love Removal Machine

Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: February 24, 2008 04:04

The Cult are a fantastic band! I've seen them many times. Wish I was there in the UK to see them. It would be great if they'd add King Contrary Man to the set list (I won't hold my breath). I believe the last time they played that one was in 1987. Wasn't a big hit for them. But man, does that song ROCK!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 24, 2008 04:42

when are they gunna stop playing the same old tired warhorses? Its time to give "edie (ciao baby)" a freaking rest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 04:43 by ryanpow.

Date: February 25, 2008 01:16

I think they played King Contrary Man at the NYC show that the DVD is of. But they left it off the DVD (???!). I can't recall if that show was released (Live Nation - I think - did all of their shows from that tour).

They're touring a new album. In the States they averaged 4 songs from Born Into This while still playing their warhorses, which a lot of fans are fed up with - one even refers to Edie as eDIE.

I could do without hearing a few (sound familiar?) of the warhorses in favour of some obscure LP tracks, more new songs and even some of their B-sides.

Have you heard King Contrary Man from the radio sessions? It's on one of the Singles box set records. It's also on Rare Cult as I recall (not positive). It's excellent.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 25, 2008 01:44

GREAT great band

Date: February 26, 2008 18:27

From the reviews of the first 3 shows of the UK tour so far they're really in fine form. They're still not playing many tunes off the new record at all though, just 2 per night so far. From Born Into This they've played Dirty Little Rockstar all three gigs, Savages, Born Into This and Diamonds.

New single, supposedly, coming out in March - the excellent thumping Illuminated.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 26, 2008 19:28

Hard to tell if the Times reviewer was impressed or not:

[entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

How many years older than this chap is MJ?

Date: February 26, 2008 21:59

Fantastic band. But only two new songs?

Date: February 26, 2008 22:06

Ah, the English critics are to typical like that. They're NEVER happy. So The Cult are getting old. Older. So what? You know, it's either go to a rock show and enjoy it or stay the fu*ck home with your stupid fish and chips (and be all posh about the old days).

That's what I'd tell that lot anyway. Heh heh.

Date: February 27, 2008 03:08

I was being sarcastic in my first post. Ive never heard of that song. I only know a few of their hits. actually The first music I bought was a Cult Cassette.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 03:08 by ryanpow.

Date: February 27, 2008 06:14

Well what's scary is how dead on you were about them playing their warhorses and singling out Edie!

But...just like the Stones or a number of other bands that have been around a while - there's always that, whatever, group of people that are wanting to hear Fire Woman and Sweet Soul Sister and Sun King, etc...

Ian has said about this tour and new album that it's about being current and new and moving ahead. When asked about is there anything in the back catalog he'd like to haul out he said No, not really. YET - they're playing mostly, bascially almost the entire show - OLD songs. The standard old songs of course, the ones that made them who they are etc... But they should be doing at the very least 5 new songs. Which would be , gee, how old skool is this? Touring the NEW RECORD. Does U2 come to mind? It does for me - they tour the hell out of their new records when they tour for a new record. But no, they're barely playing anything from the new LP.

Sound familiar? A Bigger Bang...really just a new tour name, not really so much from or for the new album....

Oh that set list I posted is supposedly wrong. I dunno. They played 3 nights in a row at the same venue and one night started out different.

Yeah, only 2 songs each night from the new album. That's just silly. I just don't get it. I really like the new album, partially because it's NOT Sonic Temple and Electric and Love. They left one of the best tracks they did for it off - it's on the Savage edition, Stand Alone. It's superb.

Date: February 27, 2008 07:39

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 07:41 by ryanpow.

Date: February 27, 2008 10:50

Earlier in the tour, they played at least 5 or 6 songs off the new album.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 27, 2008 12:04

Off to see them tomorrow at the Brum Academy

nothing like a good rocking!!!

Date: February 27, 2008 13:42

Have a good one!

Date: February 27, 2008 13:48

born into this was a horrible album

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 27, 2008 15:27

I saw them on Saturday and hated Edie. Not because I'm bored with it (in fact I was looking forward to it) but because they had turn it into a rockier version with none of the subtlety of the original. After reading the comments here I wonder if they are getting bored of it and have 'freshened' it up.

Hated the first support band (what happened to having a tune?) and thought Ian's vocal could have been better but a good show, though a bit short.

Date: February 27, 2008 15:30

<born into this was a horrible album>

Not their best, for sure. But a couple of really good tracks, Tiger In The Sun and DLR are good IMO.

Date: February 27, 2008 18:08

Here is from the 100 Club. They're pulled a couple of surprises here! For those of you that give a shit, notice: NO SONIC TEMPLE songs. But still only two Born Into This tunes:

Nirvana
Spiritwalker
Electric Ocean
Little Devil
Horse Nation
Rain
In The Clouds
Gone
Rise
Savages
Peace Dog
The Witch
Dirty Little Rockstar
She sells Sanctuary
The Phoenix
83rd Dream (with some lyrics from 'A Flower in the Desert')
Dreamtime
LRM

Date: February 28, 2008 13:44

DandelionPowderman
<born into this was a horrible album>

Not their best, for sure. But a couple of really good tracks, Tiger In The Sun and DLR are good IMO.

it had some good songs. i think the main problem was the production

Date: February 28, 2008 14:57

keefriffhard4life
it had some good songs. i think the main problem was the production

Agree. Comes out LoFi and raw, while the songs IMO don't suit that format at all. If it had been a pure rock album, their attempt would have turned out better, I guess...

Date: February 28, 2008 18:37

It's a good little record considering they didn't take all year to make it. It was New songs, bash 'em up, record 'em, put it out.

GREAT album? No. Good album? Yeah. Classic Cult? No. Not yet anyway. Any Classic Cult tunes on it? Yeah, eventually.

It's not Love, Electric, it's Born Into This. Better than their last 3 albums? Perhaps. Better than Ceremony and Beyond Good And Evil for certain. So there you go - new record, new sounds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home