Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Voodoo -Bridges Leftovers LP
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:28

So...whatever did happen with that album of Voodoo and Bridges leftovers they were going to release but instead released No Security?

Anyone know? I read in Billboard that it was pulled ONE week before release.

It very well could have had It's Funny and the excellent Mmmm You Got It Made Baby For A Long Long Time/While.....time is money, while is for-heh-heh-ever.

Re: Voodoo -Bridges Leftovers LP
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:43

it's a tall order for a couple of queers at the corner of Walk & Don't Walk smoking smiley

Date: February 18, 2008 22:47

You be the Temptaaaaaashunz and I'll be the Four Tohpssss......

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 18, 2008 23:14

This is the earliest and most interesting item on IORR news, for my money. Does anyone have a link to the Billboard story Skipstone mentions? I've always assumed this fabled album was just an abandoned idea for bonus tracks on a Memory Motel CD single from No Security.

Date: February 18, 2008 23:18

I wish I could remember the exact details to this. I'm not 100% certain it was Billboard but I'm pretty sure. I do remember reading about it in a music magazine while standing around Tower Records in New Orleans. There never was an album title for it either but it just mentioned that because No Security was coming out the album of leftovers got canned. Cancelled. Something like that.

Which still makes no sense seeing that they put Rarities out so soon after ABB and right before (?) the DVD came out.

Date: February 18, 2008 23:38

I just emailed someone at Billboard. Perhaps they'll have a better idea. I swear I am not making this up. Because I remember being excited at shit that it was going to be the 1990s version of Tattoo You (not to be confused with thinking it would be as good) but then got disgusted when I saw they were canning it for another live album.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 18, 2008 23:58

3rd December 1998: New rare Stones release due out in UK next summer
According to the recent issue of UK collector's magazine Record Collector, there are plans for a new and rare Stones release by the time the Stones return to UK next summer. It is supposed to be a low profile release intended for hard core fans only, and it should be based on left over tracks from the Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon recording sessions. Bootlegs do circulate with some of this material, like Voodoo Brew and Voodoo Stew , but this might be a real goodie for real Stones fans!

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 00:04 by open-g.

Date: February 19, 2008 00:10

Thanks for both your efforts with trying to find out more about the infamous Leftovers album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2008 00:39

Hey and wasn't there ah small mention in MOJO of
rumoured 5? or was it 10? CD box-set of rarities that
was to be released around the time of Licks Tour...If the old
memory serves me well ... think Keith even hinted about it in some interview

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 19, 2008 01:34

skipstone
So...whatever did happen with that album of Voodoo and Bridges leftovers they were going to release but instead released No Security?

Anyone know? I read in Billboard that it was pulled ONE week before release.

It very well could have had It's Funny and the excellent Mmmm You Got It Made Baby For A Long Long Time/While.....time is money, while is for-heh-heh-ever.

No Security was released in November 1998. It's release had nothing to do with the project being shelved. The unissued "Memory Hotel" record was mentioned as being about to be released in May 1999 in time for the European tour, but it never appeared.

No track listing, serial number or cover art ever leaked for it, which seems a bit strange as it was mentioned on the IORR news here in May 1999 as being scheduled for release in a couple of weeks time. There was never any announcement officially that it was about to be released and no announcement that the project had been shelved. The story just seemed to appear from nowhere and was then forgotten about.

That lack of info would suggest to me that the whole thing was a bit of a red herring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 01:36 by Gazza.

Date: February 19, 2008 01:40

Rockman
Hey and wasn't there ah small mention in MOJO of
rumoured 5? or was it 10? CD box-set of rarities that
was to be released around the time of Licks Tour...If the old
memory serves me well ... think Keith even hinted about it in some interview

Prior to the Stones reaching an agreement between EMI and ABCKO to release a career spanning compilation in May 2002 (just in time for the press conference a few hours later), there had been unconfirmed, but widespread talk that they would mark their 40th anniversary by releasing a boxed set of unreleased material, which would be followed by a tour, because at that point, they hadnt recorded any new songs for five years.

The agreement they reached enabled them to take the more lucrative option and obviously if there had been any advanced plans for a boxed set, it was shelved indefinitely.

Date: February 19, 2008 01:51

Iorr news from
May 21, 1999: New Stones CD Memory Hotel out May 31st
The new Stones CD titled Memory Hotel will be out by Monday May 31st, to back up the European Tour. No news about the tracks on the CD, but it might be outtakes from the previous two albums, that are supposed to be finished for production by now.

Bjornulf, maybe you can shed some light on this?
it is history by now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 01:52 by open-g.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 19, 2008 01:56

At least we know that Memory Motel from March 3rd-5th 1995 was supposed to be there..

Date: February 19, 2008 01:58

Was it going to be Motel or Hotel?

on the other hand - it ain't there anyhow...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 19, 2008 02:08

open-g
Was it going to be Motel or Hotel?

THe CD was to be called "Memory Hotel"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 02:11 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 19, 2008 04:40

Wow! So I wasn't losing my mind. All I could remember was no album but a live album. And it was right around the time of No Security.

Was the Memory Motel...what now? First it was a single with extra tracks and that got canned...I'm guessing it was tied in with the video? I liked that video actually. Although I think that Dave Matthews guy ruined the tune.

Date: February 19, 2008 04:49

Gotta crack when Mick sings Mem-O-Weeeeeeee Motel at the 37sec mark....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:05

About Memory Hotel, the tracklisting rumored at the time was the 6 songs from the Tokyo Sessions in 1995 and the B-sides of Voodoo Lounge and B2B, that would be:

Honest I Do
Let's Spend The Night Together
Beast Of Burden
No Expectations
Memory Motel
Let It Bleed
The Storm
So Young
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Anyway You Look At It

Or something like that.

About the Boxset, it was all over the news in late 2001, even Billboard published it:

Stones Readying 40th Anniversary Box Set
By Nigel Williamson, London
Publication: Billboard
Date: Friday, December 7 2001

The Rolling Stones plan to celebrate the group's 40th anniversary next year with the release of a box set, featuring rarities, outtakes, and unreleased live tracks taken from different stages of the band's career.

A spokesperson says the group is not yet ready to announce plans for its 40th anniversary, but guitarist Ron Wood has revealed that the Stones are is already at work compiling the box set in an interview due to be published in January the British rock magazine Uncut. He also suggested the release would be supported by tour dates in autumn 2002.

Details remain sketchy, but according to Wood, all members of the group were recently delivered "hundreds of hours" of tapes and have been sifting through them to select potential material for the project. In the interview, Wood says he has already been comparing notes with Stones guitarist Keith Richards over what should be released from the tapes.

Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the Stones' first appearance on the stage of London's Marquee Club, on July 12, 1962. However, according to Wood, the commemorative box is unlikely to be released before September. Mick Jagger told Billboard last month that "we're trying to cook something up. I don't want to talk about it too much yet, but the 40th anniversary is a good party to give."

If a tour gets off the ground, it would be no surprise if their longtime tour producer, Michael Cohl, would be in on the action. Cohl, whose Toronto-based concert promotion firm The Next Adventure was acquired by Clear Channel Entertainment (then SFX) in 1999, would not comment in late October on any specifics regarding a Stones tour, but did tell Billboard, "I love the Rolling Stones. Every year I propose they should tour, and this year is no different."

[www.allbusiness.com]

Also we can see it on Being Mick, all the work on the old tapes. The Forty Licks thing canceled maybe 2 years of work and after 6-7 years we are still here, with another live album coming out next month and with the box set in the vaults, each year with less sales potential.

Date: February 19, 2008 05:12

Fanks george....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:38

Perhaps we're seeing that compilation being worked on in the scenes in "Being Mick"?

Date: February 19, 2008 07:33

It sure looked like it, in Being Mick. All those 2"analog canisters.

What gets me is - they HAVE to know! The have to! That us fans want all those goodies in the best way possible - OFFICIALLY released...not cruddy bootlegs. I don't give a shit if they're still touring or not. I'm gonna buy a new record that they record and put out whether they've got a box set out or not.

I know this might sound stupid but maybe even a sort of Beatles Anthology thing - I dunno how it would work, what years. I guess it would be somewhat determined by the publishing rights, which would eliminate anything leftover from SF or even some of Exile. But there are those handful from before the GHS sessions and so on. Tons of leftovers from the 1970s, a shitload from the DW sessions...Voodoo...and they must have had a bunch leftover from Bridges.

And it sure would be nice if they didn't put anything ordinary on any of them. Not another goddamn release of Everything Is Turning To Gold (70s, Collectibles, Rarities) and the lot. Not another release of the Miss You 12".

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: February 19, 2008 09:50

Hmm...this would have been more than interesting. Imagine all the stuff that must be out there! Sheesh.

Date: February 19, 2008 14:17

CharliMoon
Hmm...this would have been more than interesting. Imagine all the stuff that must be out there! Sheesh.

Doubt they could have done much touring behind it, in the way 40 Licks worked.

You cant really picture Mick running onstage and opening the show with "I love Ladies" or "Criss Cross", can you?

Date: February 19, 2008 14:27

georgelicks

About Memory Hotel, the tracklisting rumored at the time was the 6 songs from the Tokyo Sessions in 1995 and the B-sides of Voodoo Lounge and B2B,

georgelicks
Thats not how I recollect it. It was actual leftover songs, not an album containing b-sides. Any speculation re the tracklisting was unfounded anyway. It was never confirmed. There was even a rumour of song titles going around in spring 1999 (Poor Little Johnny Glass/3 Valley Place, etc) which were probably bogus.

Also we can see it on Being Mick, all the work on the old tapes. The Forty Licks thing canceled maybe 2 years of work and after 6-7 years we are still here, with another live album coming out next month and with the box set in the vaults, each year with less sales potential.

the caption on 'Being Mick' in that scene refers to old Stones recordings being remastered. It doesnt specifically mention for a boxed set of unreleased material. You can see a box with a few song titles emblazoned on it (I think "Rotten Roll" is one) but theyre alongside officially released songs too, so its unsure whether the masters in those boxes being worked on are going to be the released songs from those sessions or the unreleased ones.

The Stones had plans to tour in 2001. I remember a piece in Record Collector that year which stated that plans for an album and a tour which would be called "2001 - A Stones Odyssey" (urgh) had been shelved and it was likely they would tour in 2002 to mark their 40th anniversary instead.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 19, 2008 14:51

I remember when we had this discussion the last time. I think that was sometime early 2006. We started talking about this Memory Hotel CD that never happened, and I wrote every damn music company in the world to find out more about it. Nobody knew anything, or they didn't wanna tell me about it (Despite being so polite my tongue was brown).

I think maybe they saved it for some future vault release. This ain't no bad idea either. Were they to make a career spanning box of rarities they need some stuff from these latter years (And by that I mean complete, or somewhat complete, songs), and I'm not sure they have too much as it is now. If they had released Memory Hotel (Which BTW is a great title - Gets me thinking about The Doors' Morrison Hotel, Elvis' Heartbreak Hotel and the Stones' own Memory Motel - Way cool) they would probably not have much to put on it from around 1993 to 2008.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 19, 2008 15:16

as far as I'm aware, there werent a lot of BTB songs which were finished but didnt make the cut....and most of them were songs sung by Keith.

maybe they just figured that an album consisting of songs left over from two albums recorded four years apart which sounded drastically different from each other was a silly idea to begin with and that any such songs would work better in the context of a mult-disc release spanning a much wider period of their career.

Date: February 19, 2008 15:39

Well, "Ever Changing World" and "High or Low" were definite contenders from BRIDGES TO BABYLON as the former was mentioned as a non-LP B-side by Don Was and the latter was even covered, though never released, by Sheryl Crow who loved the outtake Keith played her. Allegedly "Honest Man" from VOODOO LOUNGE would have made the grade as it was claimed Mick's reaction to the Vigotone box sets was largely based on the fact that this track was earmarked for official release. One would imagine more redone unfinished tracks like "So Young" were worked on. Rumors claim that "Fiji Jim" was rewritten and recorded at the same session as "So Young." Keith also claimed to be eager to release the undoctored (or should I say unDusted) mix of "Might As Well Get Juiced" which would have been that album's "Back of My Hand" or "The Storm." There is also an unknown VOODOO LOUNGE leftover that was waiting for a Sonny Rollins overdub according to Bill German. The track is listed on Nico's site as "Sonny" which is certainly a working title only so who knows if its one Vigotone unearthed or not. There's also supposed to be a track written about OJ Simpson that never materialized either (or else changed so much to obscure identification..."Gunface" may be a contender). Finally, when the inevitable reissues do come, I hope BRIDGES substitutes the No Biz edit of "Anybody Seen My Baby" and rescues that song from its only cringe-worthy moment.

Date: February 19, 2008 17:48

It's an odd thing, The Rolling Stones and reissues, because although Virgin made the effort and came through with the album artwork etc...and superiour sound with the remastering...there was no effort made to add on B-sides or whatever...like Rhino.

And even ABKCO - no need to add anything I guess with everything being out anyway - didn't bother.

I'm guessing we'll never get these unreleased tracks. I would love to be wrong.

Date: February 19, 2008 18:56

I would imagine they could well be the 'carrot' dangled in front of us to persuade us with our hard earned cash next time around.

Date: February 19, 2008 19:35

Nahhh, the Stones would never go for including anything extra. Just look at the majority of their B-sides - mostly LP tracks...they've always been cheap like that. At least in the 1970s and 1980s, up until Steel Wheels at least.

Let It Rock, Through The Lonely Nights and Everything Is Turning To Gold are the 1970s exceptions...I Think I'm Going Mad, Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues and Wish I'd Never Met You being the 1980s exceptions...at least in the 1990s they gave us all something non-LP issued...so more than less were there LP B-sides.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home