Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
worst album of each decade
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:24

60s: GLIYWI and The Rolling Stones No 2
70s: Sticky Fingers (great songs: Dead Flowers, BS, Sway, MM - and two pointless songs (IGTB, YGM is great great great live but not here, Bitch: great ending of a song and the solo is fantastic - the album feel is not there)
80s: Ditry Work
90s: Voodo Lounge/Flashpoint

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-18 21:27 by LA FORUM.

Re: worst album of each decade
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:27

LA FORUM
70s: Sticky Fingers

?????????

what kind of crack are you smoking?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-18 21:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:31

This is a tough one if limited to studio releases as I do love the band after all. If I treat as least favorite, I can do it (bearing in mind it gets a bit silly post '80s):

60s: SATANIC MAJESTIES
70s: BLACK AND BLUE (some of which I love)
80s: UNDERCOVER (some of which I love)
90s: BRIDGES TO BABYLON (an album I rank very highly, but VL gets the edge)
00s: A BIGGER BANG (lets hope there's a best CD before the decade ends)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:32

Sticky Fingers ? Rolling Stones No 2 ? Holy mother

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:38

Yeah but Sticky is not a great album, some great songs, some of their best, but the album...nah. I never listen to it.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:39

Aftermath (sorry - too much 'pop' and much of it 'designer' goods)
IORR (see Aftermath)
TY (seventies leftovers - fresher than ER, but not a new album in its own right)
VLounge (see Aftermath and IORR)
ABB (see VLounge and Aftermath and IORR)

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:40

60s:

No such thing as a bad stones album in the 60s.

70s:

It's Only Rock N Roll - Yup, it has three out and out classics on t, some good songs, but a few turds too.

80s:

Dirty Work - Half of it is very good, half wretched.

90s:

Bridges To Babylon - Almost irredeemably bad. I wish I'd just bought anybody Seen My Baby and hadn't bothered with the rest.

00s:

ABB- Overpraised, overlong, underpar.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:42

to each their own... This thread inspired me to listen to sticky fingers when I get home!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-18 21:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:57

60s : -
70s : UnderCover ( a 70s spirit album )
80s : Dirty Work
90s : -

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:06

60's Between Buttons
70's Black N Blue
80's Dirty Work
90's B2B

MEZ

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:13

1960s - Satanic Majesties - should have been an EP....
1970s - Some Girls - the least listened to in my camp...of all the 70s LPS.
1980s - Steel Wheels - couple of good tunes, otherwise it's just...vanilla.
1990s - Bridges To Babylon - I do like the album but not as much as Voodoo.
2000s - Licks Live - Like we needed Satisfaction etc...again. Disc 2 is great.

It is a funny way to look at things. They held up pretty good in the 70s with output. The 80s slag and the 90s - TWO releases! That's just crap. GLIYWI is terrible and actually I dis-own it as a Stones album. I just can't ever see owning it again. Does anyone actually like it? I recall Lady Jane being the ONLY worthy track on the thing. But otherwise it's, what, just them in the studio live and the audience O/Ded right?

Let's hope they throw an album together quick like and record another album in the midst of releasing the first one and then go on one last tour, And that quick album? A BLUES album dammit. They could even be real snobs and make it a double - disc one being new blues - whether it be originals or new covers - and disc 2 being a comp of all their blues recordings (1972 on since ABKCO owns Sticky Fingers and 4 from Exile) on albums as well as any unreleased.

Ha ha. Steel Wheels over Dirty Work? Yeah. Because Steel Wheels is about as interesting as a hospital - it's just sterile and fould smelling with horrible lighting and the only good thing about it is the cute nurses (Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Break The Spell). At least Dirty Work doesn't claim to be anything and it's a rotten sounding album. The songs on SW are better but DW is just that much better of an album. Including what they left off.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:23

60s Satanic Majesties
70s Tom Donahue interviews Mick Jagger 1971
80s Place Aux Dames - Shades N Canes
90s Surprise....It's Cologne
00s That album with Streets of Love

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 01:04 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:27

60's Between the buttons
70's IORR
80's Steel Wheels
90's Flashpoint
00's Live Licks

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:38

STICKY FINGERS the worst 70's album!?!?!?! COME ON MAN, it flows and has EVERY style on there from Blues (I Got the Blues, YGTM) to Country (Dead Flowers) to Rock (BS, CYHMK, Bitch) to almost Hard Rock (Sway) to Ballad (Wild Horses) to Super Pretty (Moonlight Mile) - GREAT balance on that album.... I like it as much or MORE (slightly) than EXILE. I'm Burnt out on TUMBLIN' DICE and HAPPY and ALL DOWN THE LINE big time.... The worst 70's album is EMOTIONAL RESCUE by far (and then BLACK and BLUE which could have been a GREAT album)

80's worst was STEEL WHEELS by a hair 1/2 of DIRTY WORK is Brilliant 1/2 is HORRIBLE

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:45

Beteween The Buttons -60's
Love YOu Live - 70's
Still Life - 80's
Flashpoint - 90's
Live Licks - 00's (it's ok but worse than ABcool smiley

Date: February 18, 2008 23:01

Har Har Har Har

1960s Beggars Bleed
1970s Some Sticky Girls
1980s Emotional Dirty Wheels
1990s Bridges To Voodoo
2000s A Forty Licks Bang

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 18, 2008 23:06

The post-TATTOO YOU albums will also seem a mixed bag because the classic rock era had ended.

UNDERCOVER has a spirit of adventure about it and at no time seems like the band is trying to recapture their past. The only track I hate is Too Much Blood. Mick has great lyrics throughout (its the last disc with lyrics that are never cringe-worthy). Musically, the band makes their final album with a sense of continuity. From this point on, they were essentially making reunion albums with an eye on re-bottling the magic.

DIRTY WORK is a mixed bag. It contains some of Keith and Ronnie's finest guitar work together (One Hit, Dirty Work, and the instrumental half of Hold Back) and several standout tracks (Harlem Shuffle, Had It With You, and Keith's two lead vocals) as well as the beginning of Mick's hackneyed lyrics (Hold Back) and songs that are the musical equivalent of idiot savants being equal parts brilliant and inept (Back to Zero). Lillywhite's much-maligned overproduced drum sound successfully masks the rotation of session drummers and helps give the album a sense of continuity without relying on UNDERCOVER's incessant synthesized percussion tracks.

STEEL WHEELS is a rare Stones album that has not aged well. At the time, it sounded like a band getting their second wind, albeit one desperately trying to rewrite HOT ROCKS as a new album with songs that were interchangeable with many of the hit singles of the past (a point that has led to new material suffering in concert ever since). Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away, and Continental Drift are the true classics hear that redeem the album. Hold On To Your Hat and Hearts For Sale repeat many of the flaws of DIRTY WORK (overproduced drum sound, Jagger shouting, and lyrics that tend to fall apart). Not a bad album by any means, but the first overtly fashioned to remind listeners of the past rather than showcasing the creative evolution of a veteran band.

VOODOO LOUNGE is the beginning of the Stones' bronze age for me (unless one counts MAIN OFFENDER and WANDERING SPIRIT). The golden age was the much revered 1968-1972 era and the silver age was the commercial rennaissance of 1978-1981. VOODOO LOUNGE and its immediate successor never approach the peaks of the band's earlier crowning achievement, but succeed in giving us late-period work of more merit than one could have reasonably suspected for a band who had now established a working pattern built around mammoth nostalgia tours separated by solo projects. If the post-DIRTY WORK albums are cynically viewed as reunion tour product, the 90s offerings are surprisingly strong and cohesive and argue that Jagger and Richards, who seemed like active solo artists at the time, could successfully pool their strengths and create something approaching the heights achieved in their youth when their musical partnership was in full force and not merely a means to an end. The loss of Bill Wyman seemed to have galvanized the remaining band members to work harder to prove they could still deliver the goods. Not all of the songs are up to snuff and they never depart from established muscial formulas, but the album shows them firing on all cylinders and is just the sort of timepiece album nostalgic bands like The Black Crowes or indeed Jagger and Richards' recent solo output had struggled to achieve.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON's greatest achievement is that a mere three years (and one world tour) after VOODOO LOUNGE, the band made such a remarkably different album. The spirit of adventure resurfaces for the first time since UNDERCOVER, but only at the expense of jettisoning a genuine band effort for a series of compromised sessions topheavy with multiple producers and session players to achieve Jagger and Richards' sometimes opposing view of the band's identity. The songwriting is uniformly stronger than VOODOO LOUNGE, but some of the fashionable production decisions (drum loops and sampled rap on Anybody Seen My Baby and techno mix on Juiced) doom the album to dating as badly as the overproduced drum sound or synthesizers of some of their '80s efforts. Regrettably, this is the beginning of the band's decision to virtually abandon the album for a larger and larger nostalgia tour highlighted by performances of obscure songs. The decision to largely abandon songs from recent albums also conveyed to the public that new material doesn't really matter and is just product to justify a tour. As strong as the album is, it is a somewhat counterfeit offering in terms of musical creation and its onstage presentation signalled the lack of interest in creating new work in future years.

FOUR NEW LICKS is where the bottom drops out, sadly. Don't Stop is imitation Stones that never quite works. Mick's other two efforts never even reach that level and Keith hits a comfort zone of tossing off a lounge piano ballad that is sure not to challenge him on any levels. The nostalgia tour that followed and the lack of creativity in releasing four lacklustre studio tracks with a career retrospective seemed excusable provided the band followed with a return to form and much needed rejuvenation.

Sadly, A BIGGER BANG failed to deliver. Jagger turned out his worst cliched Stones songs yet (Rough Justice, ONNYA, etc.) alongside several stronger candidates (Dangerous Beauty, Biggest Mistake, Laugh I Nearly Died) that the band completely ignored by refusing to play live. Keith's creativity appeared largely spent. Its difficult not to view his lack of songwriting credits and reliance on recording and performing cover versions (You Win Again, Still a Fool, Nearness of You, Love Hurts, among others) as proof he has indeed lost his touch. The stripped down arrangements and production should have been a boon, but the dominance of Jagger who plays nearly 70% of the instruments on the album, the lack of creative spark in what did see airplay, and the decision to virtually abandon the album on the subsequent nostalgia tour (resulting in a live album and concert film with no songs written after 1983) point to the band being a spent force musically.

As a diehard fan of the band, I have some slight hope a new recording contract and desire to do it again one last time could result in one more album and one better suited to their legacy, but at this point I really wouldn't put money on it.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 18, 2008 23:14

STICKY FINGERS the worst album of a decade??????? That shitty statement got to be just pure provocation!!! Totally absurd and untrue.
Mops

Date: February 18, 2008 23:23

Sticky Fingers not a good album? Good songs but not a good album?

TATTOO YOU ring a bell? Sure, SF has some Bleed leftovers on it...but it's still a dymanite album.

Maybe he needs to go listen to Dirty Buttons...of Between The Wheels...

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 00:00

60s - BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, it just doesn't do it for me. It sounds slick but doesn't really go anywhere.

70s - LOVE YOU LIVE, the worst live album of their career. The song selection could have been much better and there was obviously better shows recorded (from the boots I've heard).

80s - STEEL WHEELS, this is the band trying to hard and it shows. Sounds like a collection of rushed solo material.

90s - FLASHPOINT, only because I really like the 2 studio albums they did.

00s - verdict is still out, A BIGGER BANG sounds better each time I listen to it.

Posted by: benon ()
Date: February 19, 2008 00:10

60`s - all great
70`s - all great
80`s - Undercover which is great
90`s - No security
00`s - Live Licks and the worst Stones album of all decades - ABB

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 19, 2008 00:58

ack!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2008 01:22

60's: Their Satanic Majesties Request (half of the record is great)
70's: Goats Head Soup (still a great record, at least the side 1)
80's: Steel Wheels (not a bad album, but the other 4 are better)
90's: Bridges To Babylon
00's: ABB

Worst album ever: ABB
Worst live album: Live Licks

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: February 19, 2008 03:09

60's - December's Children (great album, but not as strong as any of the other ones)
70's - Goats Head Soup (see above)
80's - Dirty Work (no explanation necessary)
90's - Voodoo Lounge (weak album, B2B is better in every way)

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:07

My choices are:
60's Got Live if You want it (horrible)
70's Love YOU LIVE ( Mick never sound shittier)
80's tough one since both Still LIfe, and Undercover suck big time. The rest aint much better
90's Flashpoint
00's Gotta go with Forty Licks-heard them all before. I really like ABB, and the 2nd disc of LIve Licks I find pretty hot not counting the inexcuseable editing in ROCKS OFF

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:47

ryanpow
LA FORUM

?????????

what kind of crack are you smoking?

Remember Jon Landau, Springsteen's major domo,
gave Sticky Fingers a "zero" stars review in Rolling Stone magizine.
It's a hoot of a read, actually. I believe he's also the one
who called Clapton in the Cream days "the master of the cliche."
Personally, I think Landau did these reviews just to be different
and make a name for himself.
As Dylan said regarding his review of the Pat Garret soundtrack
"Landau's got his head up his ass."
Mind you , Pat Garret is not a mind-blowing album,
but that's not the point.

Date: February 19, 2008 11:02

60s: Between The Buttons
70s: Goat's Head Soup
80s: Steel Wheels
90s: Bridges To Babylon

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:11

Worst album ever: ABB

This whole thread is pointless!

Date: February 19, 2008 11:23

60’s-------------------
70’s –Black and Blue
80’s -Undercover(possibly my least favorite Stones album of all time)
90’s- Voodoo Lounge
00’s- ABB

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:46

"Gotta go with Forty Licks-heard them all before"

Its a greatest hits compilation????

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2385
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home