Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Cursed By Stones?
Posted by: russr ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:14

The more I listen to old Faces concerts/boots and hear just how amazing Ronnie's playing is the more convinced I am that he sold his soul when he joined the Stones.

He got job security and a big payday, but at what price?

He took a backseat, swallowed his creative drive, and, sadly, I don't think he's ever shined with the Stones the way he did with the Faces...neither writing nor playing.

But I'm sure it was worth it....Ronnie?

Re: Ronnie Cursed By Stones?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:16

He did a helluva job this summer. Listen to any boot.
At Brno I felt honoured to hear his efforts.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:31

Hmmm...interesting idea. I will say that Ronnie's creativity in the Stones dynamic isn't really put to its full potential. Playing with them live, is the most, I think, he can put out. Yes, the tail end of the last legs of the tour he was on fire and completely carried the the guitar section while Keith was really not in the zone. Still, even live, Ronnie can't really spread his wings. Although no one really has the titles lead or rhythm guitar between Keith and Ronnie it is always assumed that Ronnie follow Keith's lead. If Keith decides to take a solo...Ronnie has to step aside. If Keith takes the lead on a song--Ronnie has to play around him. Ronnie has a powerful guitar sound and can do more than add flourishes here and there and fill in the gaps that Keith leaves behind. If Ronnie only beefed his presence up more while playing with Keith--we'd hear some pretty great things.

One things for sure...not letting Ronnie involved in more songwriting is a big minus. The guy can write some wonderful melodies and ballads. A touch of Ronnie in a couple of those Jagger-ballads....that'd be pretttttty nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 23:32 by Justin.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:38

When You Listen to the Faces and his solo stuff...It was a no brainer that he was asked to join.

Ronnie is smarter than all of them...just 3 nights at Giants Stadium on any particular tour is more $ in the bank than a Ron Wood Platinum solo album.

Go Ronnie...and thank all of the Stones for the mutual decision.

PECMAN

Date: February 12, 2008 23:38

Man, you said it really well: he can't spread his wings.

I listen to the Faces, on record...and live...and hear him in full bloom and realize what an amazing set of wings he had.

On the other hand, while I've heard some great Taylor post Stones (Dylan, Mayall, solo), I just don't think he's quite as focused as he was with the Stones.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:41

I think he joined the band he always wanted to be in, and the perfect guy for them. Thank god he joined, he reignited them after the boring soft fluff they were starting to play on ghs and iorr .

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:43

Ronnie said it himself that he and Keith were writing som great songs together, but he stepped aside because Keith and Mick could write even better songs. I believe Ronnie has still got the creativity. Just listen to Not For Beginners. Some lovely songs there, and man, he's really nailing the guitars on that one. So beautiful it makes me weep, some of it!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:43

Hmmmmm. This smells like thinly veiled Ronnie vs Taylor thread.

Date: February 12, 2008 23:47

No. This has nothing to do with Taylor. It has to do with the fact that I LOVE Ronnie's work with the Faces and just am not knocked out by his playing with Stones in same way.

Plain and simple.

For the record, I thought Taylor sucked with the Faces. :-)

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:52

Me too smiling smiley

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 12, 2008 23:53

russr
For the record, I thought Taylor sucked with the Faces. :-)

HAHAHA Nice one!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:58

...if you read his autobiography I don't think he feels he's been slighted or has any regrets whatsoever about joining the Rolling Stones..........just that he's had several poor managers.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: February 13, 2008 02:28

Ron Wood's playing with the Stones in America in 2002/03 and on the last tour was amazing! The songs where he stretches out such as CYHMK, YCAGWYW, and Sway solos are unbelievable. The many boots of CYHMK have amazing playing with Keith (along with a hundred plus Gimme Shelter and many other songs)

Plus, I remember comparing with friends which guitarist was playing better at a specific show (since 78) and many pick Wood's as the main drive guitarist (particularly the last few tours).

Would Wood's (that sounds weird) have had the audience as he has with the stones- no. Would he have brought as much happiness in the world as he has with the stones-no.
Would he have been a big influence in the greatest band ever- no.

I would say Ronnie is blessed to be with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-13 04:05 by dougie.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 13, 2008 03:27

"Cursed by Stones" is a strong statement because Ronnie in fact is able to do his solo stuff and play with the stones. For ronnie to be a Rolling Stones is a plus as long as he is free to express himself outside of the Stones, and he does it well. I prefer to believe that it is the Stones who are cursed by not taking more advantage of Ronnie's skills.
mops

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 13, 2008 03:53

I think Ronnie Wood has contributed mightily to the Stones, even before he was in the band. But...Some Girls wouldn't be as good as it is without Ronnie's playing of everything he plays. Even Emotional Rescue would - imagine She's So Cold without Ronnie in there? And even though he's got a minimal role on Tattoo, he's all over Undercover, which I happen to like a lot. And of course Dirty Work.

I think his playing has been overlooked in general.

Of course, on the Licks tour, that solo in CYHMK on Four Flicks is pretty sloppy. A lot of bum notes...but his playing has charm. His leads on Don't Stop harken back to the Some Girls style in a way.

However, his playing with The Faces is dynamite and he had it all on him. If Keith continues to nod out while being awake while playing...does anyone remember that solo Keith did during Sympathy for the Voodoo PPV when he played in the WRONG KEY? And on Lick's Whip...Keith totally botched that while Woody was playing it so true. I think if Woody was pushed a bit higher in the mix...

I don't know who Ronnie Woods is though. Never heard of 'em.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 13, 2008 04:58

the odd thing is that it's not even like he has written tons of songs that they've refused to record, a la Harrison. The few songs he has done with the band, he includes in solo sets, like "Pretty Beat Up." I love that cut but the writing is not what makes it.

similarly, I just read here recently that "Long Black Limousine" was first done--separately from the Tattoo You track--years before. Again, I love the cut, but thought it was more of a jam than a written piece to be carried around year after year.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 13, 2008 14:48

I don't think Ronnie went into the Stones arrangement with any sense of false hope; I believe he knew exactly what he was getting into, and understood the dynamic. I think it was a trade-off, and I agree, he did shine when he played with the Faces. I used to love the Faces but of course their music was never appreciated in the same way that the Stones' music is valued. I bet ole Ronnie is basicly happy.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 13, 2008 14:52

And maybe, just maybe he has contributed a lot to the Stones staying together. That's a great contribution, even though we don't know what would have happened without him.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: February 13, 2008 14:53

do you think anyone would care about his artwork if he wasn't a stone?
i think he is a hell of a painter... but i don't see his portraits of keith or mick selling for a quarter million

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: February 13, 2008 15:31

I have a mixed response to this,

On one hand I think Ronnie's creativity has been supressed by the Stones and I think his influence could have been used more in the song writing.

On the other, I would agree that the Stones has provided a platform for Ronnie to use for his solo works and probably his art too. If I'm honest, I'm 30 years of age and if it wasn't for the Stones I would probably never have heard of Ronnie Wood, and if I had, I doubt that I would have bought any of his solo work (as much as I now like it)

I think Ronnie has maximised the benefits of being a Rolling Stone, I don't think the Stones have maximised the benefits of having Ronnie, in the studio at least.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 13, 2008 15:44

I think that the Ronster is great, and he is better in the Stones than he is anywhere else. The problem is that Ronnie's songwriting (Which is great) can't get across in the Stones (Although he was responsible for great stuff. Ronnie's songwriting influence can be heard on everything from Some Girls to Dirty Work). I think they should take Ronnie into account some more. It's not as though he hasn't proved his mettle. Ronnie is great.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 13, 2008 16:19

Ronnie better in Stones than anywhere else? Here's a few words in rebut:

Stay With Me....Too Bad...True Blue....

Come on,like 'em or not, he helped write and shape many of faces best songs and was major part of their sound (and remember he was lone guitar in faces!!)

He's done great work in Stones, but fundamentally he's a hired gun and support player at best no matter how you cut it.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: February 13, 2008 17:08

Ronnie Wood was good within the Stones between '75/89, where I personally prefer his playing in 75-76-78 - 81/82

He was almost non-existent during the '97/98/'99 tours.
During the 2003 tour he was very inconsistent and 'mediocre' at his best.
During the last tour he was also just average. No, I did not attend any of the shows but listened to enough good sounding bootlegs. The only difference is that Keith became worse and therefor there was more space for Ronnie to shine.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 13, 2008 17:11

russr
Ronnie better in Stones than anywhere else? Here's a few words in rebut:

Stay With Me....Too Bad...True Blue....

Come on,like 'em or not, he helped write and shape many of faces best songs and was major part of their sound (and remember he was lone guitar in faces!!)

He's done great work in Stones, but fundamentally he's a hired gun and support player at best no matter how you cut it.

Stay With Me could have been written by The Stones. You don't think it sounds like Mick and Keith could've written it? Yet another reason to pick Ronnie.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 13, 2008 17:25

I'm thankful Ronnie was asked and agreed to join the Stones. His creativity has taken a back seat as far as writing with the Stones, but he has a solo and art career and is able to channel his creativity through these outlets. If he's had any lackluster performances live with the Stones, I think it's fair to say it was the curse of partying too much than for joining the Stones.

I hope he picks my song suggestion for his upcoming album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-13 17:27 by TrulyMicks.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 13, 2008 19:09

Interesting post!

A slightly different angle, his talents aside. When I first heard Mick T. was leaving the band, and without any knowledge of the circumstaces and that Ronnie had already expressed interest, I immediatly said Ronnie Wood is the man for the job.

Why so fast. Because I was a huge fan at the time of what the British did for beafing up rock guitar sound in the sixties and early seventies. Rod, Long John Baldry and others had that hard R&R sound compared to NA pop music, an edge so to speak. Of a select group of rockers playing this type of music Ronnie just poped out as the perfect fit.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 13, 2008 19:16

russr

Funny is that is exactly how I feel about Taylor, a hired hand that never really seemed right for them, sure he could play great guitar solos , he was better then the rest of them in that regard but I never felt that is what made the band great.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 13, 2008 19:27

If both Keith and Ronnie were simultaneously sober, in good health, and Keith stuck to rythym and Ronnie always played lead. . ..

Imagine how good they would sound!!!

Think of SFTD with a sober, focused Ronnie on extended, jamming lead!

Imagine all of those boots on cd we'd have instead of some of the train-wrecks on cd we actually do have.

Forgive me all those who I may have offended, but I love their music.

If ABB cd had been the work of a 20 something year old band it would be hailed as the great work of the next big thing. All of the kids would be listening to it. Sadly, image is more important than the actual music itself.

Modern-day youth pop culture makes the actual creative output less important than the appearance of 'artist.'

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:01

kees
Ronnie Wood was good within the Stones between '75/89, where I personally prefer his playing in 75-76-78 - 81/82

He was almost non-existent during the '97/98/'99 tours.
During the 2003 tour he was very inconsistent and 'mediocre' at his best.
During the last tour he was also just average. No, I did not attend any of the shows but listened to enough good sounding bootlegs. The only difference is that Keith became worse and therefor there was more space for Ronnie to shine.

Totally agree, allthough seeing and hearing the Stones live on stage is a very
different experience than only listening to the best bootleg available.

He really plays some false notes (bends or moving to far on the neck). For music critics it sounds bad to the ears.
What's left is just the whole experience, the fun, the energy, the myth, the living legends, the spectacle of the Stones still playing live. But musically, no, they have a lot of bad nights, and a few good nights. Where is the rhythm guitar in Loving Cup or Some Girls for instance, which is so important in these songs? That rhythm is Keith's signature, so where is it? It's sloppy. He still plays full rhythm in the studio, why not live??

Respectable live (since No Security) ain't respectable anymore, the rhythm is totally different from the original.

The only professional musicians on stage are Charlie and Mick (and the backup band of course).

At least, that is my opinion! Fortunately I still enjoy them, cause'hey... they are the Stones!

Í am very curious about Champagne & Reefer with Buddy Guy, from Shine A Light, that must be a high light!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:20

Ronnie's done some good stuff, some nice touches, with the Stones. But the faces was his spiritual home, HIS band as much as Rod's, and as much as any of theirs.

That's why I've never really considered him a 'full' Stone - because he had such a stronger identity and presence in his main band - where he had full creative freedom of expression. His solo albums have been the outlet for that since.

Ronnie kept the Stones going and has done some good stuff with Keith. Other than the obvious SG, there's particularly ER, Undercover, Dirty Work and SW. Since then, more of a session-musician adding lead fills where required, (some exceptions on VL). But he never revolutionised them like Taylor did - to give them such breadth and depth and on-stage supremacy. Taylor never had a strong, permanent musical home/presence before or after the Stones. And since his presence was so massive within them, and his legacy so enduring, that's why I always give him full-stone status. He was consistent and fully committed, until 1974 - and then he quit. Honourable exit.

A hard act for anyone to follow. But harder for Taylor, then, to ever live up to those heights and his own full potential afterwoods(!).

Not knocking Wood - some defenite big plusses. But he's never been stronger than he was in the Faces. Perhaps he became a Rolling Face.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2200
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home