Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: C. Richards on Beatles guitar playing
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 4, 2008 23:25

MTFan
Many of the beatles great songs contain advanced harmonics.
That's the reason they are in the real book.
There are chord chanches containing -7,augmented, ø,?7,ß9/#9,-6 chords,
all used by inspiration of mc Cartney.
He represents the beatles to me.

Oooo, yes, by all means, let's perpetuate the notion that music is somehow better if it is more complicated...

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 5, 2008 00:31

farawayeyes2
Indeed John Lennon is worth nothing,as a guitarplayer/singer/songwriter.(Just my opininon)

that guy wrote, sang and played some of the best songs of the century MTfan, how can he be worth nothing?[/quote]

Not a very big Beatles fan, but John had one of the most characteristic and cool rock 'n' roll voices I've ever heard. Simply love the way he sang!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: February 5, 2008 01:41

texas fan
MTFan
Many of the beatles great songs contain advanced harmonics.
That's the reason they are in the real book.
There are chord chanches containing -7,augmented, ø,?7,ß9/#9,-6 chords,
all used by inspiration of mc Cartney.
He represents the beatles to me.

Oooo, yes, by all means, let's perpetuate the notion that music is somehow better if it is more complicated...

I'am sorry for you if you find the Beatles a bit complicated, they were no jazz musicians.
Even my cousin(10 years old)sings along with yesterday.
What's the musical wreckage you hold on then ..
The Stones ship that sunk some 30 years ago?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 5, 2008 01:49

Its pointless trying to convert some people's opinions...

I feel that all three, Macca, Lennon, and Harrison were wonderful guitarists...listen to The End for some sublime, tasetful, and restrained soloing where all three duel.

Lennon has a great quote: "I am not the greatest guitarist, but can make it howel".
Indeed. He also does some beautiful finger picking from Dear Prudence to his accoustic version of Woman.
Macca played some great leads with the Beatles...Taxman is incredible
And George was tastefuly restrained and added just the right touch, and became an incredible slide player.
But again no use trying to change peoples minds, its just what I am into...and again love both The Stones and The Beatles...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 5, 2008 01:57

i think what's most significant about c. richard is how he sold a lot of watered down swill that were legitimate hits in the UK, and still manages to be so totally insignificant as an artist to the entire culture. he never made the slightest blip in the states. kids who's favorite bands were herman hermits thought him shallow. he said what about whom? he's a haircut; elvis' when elvis was big; beatle bop when that was big. his stuff is lighter than a dove's fart. ok one nice Christmas song in duet on a Van Morrison album. when Van's on something it's already solid. he does not even get a full asterisk imo. the only reason his name is ever in the same sentence as the beatles was because they knocked his silly ass into oblivion; for that alone, people should respect the beats...rest in peace john and george!

Date: February 5, 2008 02:01

audun-eg
farawayeyes2
Indeed John Lennon is worth nothing,as a guitarplayer/singer/songwriter.(Just my opininon)

that guy wrote, sang and played some of the best songs of the century MTfan, how can he be worth nothing?

Not a very big Beatles fan, but John had one of the most characteristic and cool rock 'n' roll voices I've ever heard. Simply love the way he sang![/quote]

He wrote the lyrics of many Beatle songs,but when you compare the solo works of Lennon & mcCartney after the Beatles split up, one must admit that mr Lennon was not very gifted as a composer nor as a guitarplayer,and the Beatles "wind" was defenitly mcCartneys job.
There is a simple musical explanation:If you can only play 3 chords,your songs won't contain more.
Lennons voice is very recognizable indeed.
I like the Beatles a lot,but give the King what belongs to the King.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 5, 2008 02:22

Elvis is the King but when you are in Texas...Bob Wills is still the king...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 02:53 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 5, 2008 02:23

Well again, opinions are like kleenex, you pull one out and there is yet another one waiting for you (thought I would refrain frm the more obvious anology).
But to describe Lennon's solo career as sub par when compared to anyone- just listen to the opus of John Lennon and the Plastic Ono band. INCREDIBLE! With only Lennon on guitar/piano (and he indeed makes it howel on several cuts: Well Well Well, I Found Out, and plays some heartaching fingure picking, Look at Me, and beautiful piano, Isolation), Klaus Vorman Bass, Ringo drums, Billy Preston Piano, and Phil Specter piano/production (his most minimalist production ever)...it is a gut wrenching seering emotional roller coaster ride of self reflection, pain, honesty, and beauty. That musical statement alone is more than the sum total of most recording artists. Then followed up with Imagine...and prior to his post Sean retirement we got two incredible releases, Rock and Roll and Walls and Bridges...both stellar works.
Now I am also a McCartney fan, and you can see that the two of them together were a rare phenomina in music, because they balanced eachother and their competition brought out the best in eachother. One would have thought that if Lennon was working with McCartney during the 70's Macca wouldn't have released Marry Had a Little Lamb, and McCartney would have tempered some of John's more banal political diatribes found on Sometime in New York City (but I admitt I love that disc!).
Lennon said it best when he remarked: "look The Beatles were a band, that's it! Now they are gone and instead of getting three tunes from me, or Paul, and one from George on each album, you get four albums a year from each of us!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 02:27 by whitem8.

Date: February 5, 2008 02:30

MT Fan said:

I'am sorry for you if you find the Beatles a bit complicated, they were no jazz musicians. Even my cousin(10 years old)sings along with yesterday.
What's the musical wreckage you hold on then ..
The Stones ship that sunk some 30 years ago?[/quote]

So, the Beatles are better than the Stones, and jazz is better than the Beatles?

Is Brubeck's music better than Armstrong's because it's more complex?

I never said the Beatles music was too complicated. I just think this "complicated is better"approach to music is a bit unsophisticated and spiritually infirm.

Music is not notes and chords. Those are merely inadequate descriptions of music.

Having said all that, I am just taking issue with your premise, not attacking you. I don't think calling me stupider than your 10 year old cousin was a very thoughtful response. Now you have another chance.

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: February 5, 2008 02:39

OK EVRYBODY LISTEN UP. Listen to the guitar solo on All YOU NEED IS LOVE. Total garbage. Sounds like he didn't even finish it!!! If this is what C Richards is talking about, I agree. Surprised he didn't say how bad Ringo is.

Date: February 5, 2008 02:57

Yeah Beely, sad, we need a don't feed the fish sign here for bottom feeders.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 5, 2008 03:11

farawayeyes2

Yeah, that's right farawayeyes2, Lennon was pure shit - good jive boy though, fooled the whole world (i guess we were just REALLY stupid in 1967, unlike now when everybody is a brainiac effing genius......Sometimes you just so understand Kurt Cobain and why he HAD TO get away....

NOTHING (example #1)

NOTHING (example #2)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2008 03:26

Maybe Cliff (and some on here) haven't heard "Dr. Robert", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Paperback Writer", "Day Tripper", "Revolution", "I Feel Fine", and many other examples of great Beatle guitar playing. Get a grip on reality.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 5, 2008 03:51

Of course, Elmo. We sometimes forget that a guitar player's REAL job is to make the song as good as it can be, not to impress the very important IORR critics.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: February 5, 2008 10:03

The thing is clear to me: you only can judge music by the pleasure that delivers to the listener, a very personal matter indeed. The main thing for me is the finished song or musical work in its entirety. Simple or complex don't mean anything, those can't be the categories to label music as "good" or "bad".

And of course, The Beatles put together one of the most amazing legacies in popular music during last century, out of tune or not, "virtuoso" or not... By the way, I also think myself that their songs are usually more innovative and complex than it seems at first glance just because the melodies are always so catchy...

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 5, 2008 11:03

Yeah, whatever you are bigger + better than the Beatles.
Nobody in the United States even knows who this tool is.

Date: February 5, 2008 11:50

Having said all that, I am just taking issue with your premise, not attacking you. I don't think calling me stupider than your 10 year old cousin was a very thoughtful response. Now you have another chance.[/quote]

I didn't call you "stupid",that are your words,
nor did I say the Beatles are better than the Stones..the Beatles chord progression
is more advanced...and if a 10 year old child can sing it..you can?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 5, 2008 12:11

MTFan.... I seem to recall you weren't gonna post here anymore once there was a rumour the stones were to tour again?

And the rather ridiculous assumption that Macca's better than Lennon, name me one album by Macca that comes even close to the Imagine or The Plastic Ono band LP's?
Macca don't even come close to George Harrisons All Things must pass!

Date: February 5, 2008 12:21

ablett
MTFan.... I seem to recall you weren't gonna post here anymore once there was a rumour the stones were to tour again?

And the rather ridiculous assumption that Macca's better than Lennon, name me one album by Macca that comes even close to the Imagine or The Plastic Ono band LP's?
Macca don't even come close to George Harrisons All Things must pass!

May I ask you a question:
Are you a musician?

Date: February 5, 2008 12:25

Why on earth does that matter either way. Do you have to be an artist to appreciate art, Gordon Ramsey to cook?

Date: February 5, 2008 12:47

ablett
Why on earth does that matter either way. Do you have to be an artist to appreciate art, Gordon Ramsey to cook?

Musicians many times have a different approach towards music.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 5, 2008 12:58

HelterSkelter,
that's what MT fan wrote, not ME. just read all the thread betterwinking smiley

Date: February 5, 2008 13:00

Music's made to be listened to not analysised. It aint stamp collecting.

Thats the trouble with you 'Taylorites' (far to close to 'Thatcherite' for me). You have this high brow air that if a music lover can't strum some distant cord then we can't appriciate or understand music.

Totally wrong. Do you think anyone worried about the cord sequence that Robert Johnson played? Know, it was the feeling, the emotion that his playing inspired.

Thats what made those early bands aspire to.

I'm sure there's an Asia thread that you can all revel in the wonderment of some long, drawn out twelve string spanish gutar nonscence.....

Date: February 5, 2008 13:02

Any way, you still haven't named that Macca album yet?

Date: February 5, 2008 13:14

MTFan
He wrote the lyrics of many Beatle songs,but when you compare the solo works of Lennon & mcCartney after the Beatles split up, one must admit that mr Lennon was not very gifted as a composer nor as a guitarplayer,and the Beatles "wind" was defenitly mcCartneys job.

Kidding? Jealous Guy and Imagine are songs that no one can touch...

I'm a musician, and for me Lennon's (and Harrison's) work is far, far better than what McCartney has put out.

Don't know why stones fans suddenly are emphasizing technical abilities and virtuousity when it comes to guitar playing and rock'n'roll? We love the stones because of their songs, their attitude and their sound, not because of noodling and fast, technical guitar playing. The Beatles has also proved that the song is the most important thing in music, and Lennon has certainly contributed to the songs - much more than writing lyrics (!)

Date: February 5, 2008 13:16

Totally agree. Lets see what MTFan comes back with......

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 5, 2008 13:22

Harrisons solo work and Lennons solo work prove that they both were such gifted as songwriters, both genius. Better than McCartneys one does, maybe.

Date: February 5, 2008 13:24

I like to argue about music,and everybody has his own taste.
But when I argue ,I try use musical arguments.
Analysing music can be very interesting,and they teach it on every music college,
so why wipe it away?
Using words as"spanish guitar nonsence" means nothing to me.
Using words as:"Taylorites" means nothig to me,let alone "Thatcherite"

Just listen to mcCartneys music and please explain why you do or don't like him,
but please argue in a musical way?

Date: February 5, 2008 13:25

Hey, you Lennon bashers, give a listen to "In MY Life". George's playing on there is nothing fancy, but just right.

There's nothing wrong with digging the Beatles and the almighty Keef, King of Riff.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 5, 2008 13:27

>grinning smiley<

As for Cliff Richard, "Daddy's Home" NEVER gets mentioned with "Satisfaction", "Hey Jude", etc. as one of the greatest songs ever. Wake up and smell the coffee, wimp boy.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-05 13:28 by Elmo Lewis.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home