Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The sax player on Brown Sugar - 1971 TOTPs video
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 30, 2008 15:46

Anyone know who the sax player is who so ignominiously stands all alone below the stage on the Top Of The Pops 1971 video. Also, was this shot without the normal Top Of The Pops audience as it would have been probably the first time a band did this?

Re: The sax player on Brown Sugar - 1971 TOTPs video
Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 30, 2008 16:38

Trevor Lawrence according to Nico Zentgraf's site. I have a feeling the film was shot elsewhere and just given to the BBC to show on TOTP, sort of a 'live' promo, but I may be wrong.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 30, 2008 17:17

If I'm not mistaken, wasnt this a "live" vocal sung to the studio inst. track? I wonder how the sax player felt miming Bobby Keys work?!!

Posted by: Kick Jaggards ()
Date: January 30, 2008 19:00

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 30, 2008 20:27

scottkeef
I wonder how the sax player felt miming Bobby Keys work?!!

Probably as good as Ronnie miming Mick Taylor's licks on GYHMK... :-)

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 30, 2008 20:45

Ronnie didn't mime Mick Taylor's licks on CYHMK, he was actually playing. Your intent however is like saying Probably as good as Taylor miming Brian's licks on No Expectations.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 31, 2008 00:03

Did you notice Keith Richards' Dan Amstrong is plugged, while MT and BW instruments are unplugged?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 31, 2008 00:23

That was awesome! Have you EVER seen a guy look so sexy in PINK?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 31, 2008 00:30

This was part of a 3 song album showcase for "Sticky Fingers"
They also performed/mimed "Bitch" and "Wild Horses" but I don't think they've ever been repeated.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 31, 2008 12:43

So still no definitive answer then. I guess it must remain one of the Stones' big mysteries. If it's Trevor Lawrence - who is he? How did he get the gig?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 31, 2008 14:50

vudicus
This was part of a 3 song album showcase for "Sticky Fingers"
They also performed/mimed "Bitch" and "Wild Horses" but I don't think they've ever been repeated.

All 3 songs were recorded together at the end of March, I think. 'Brown Sugar' was broadcast on 15th April (and repeated 6.5.71) and the other two in the 'album slot' that briefly was a feature of TOTP around then on the 22nd April.

Tseverin can probably confirm this (as he told me something along these lines about 12 years ago!) but none of these two broadcasts from 15th and 22nd April still exist in the BBC archives. They were wiped many years ago. The clip of 'Brown Sugar' is actually a rerun from the Christmas edition of TOTP (I think its the same thing with the oft-repeated 1967 clip of 'LSTNT').

Oddly enough,the edition dated 29.4.71 where the Faces appeared in the album slot and played 'Richmond' and 'Bad 'n' Ruin' still survives. UK Gold broadcast the entire show around 1994 when they were re-running come classic TOTP editions from their archives.

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: January 31, 2008 14:59

Rocky Dijon
Ronnie didn't mime Mick Taylor's licks on CYHMK, he was actually playing.

i think you're being pretty generous...

Date: January 31, 2008 15:27

Silver Dagger
So still no definitive answer then. I guess it must remain one of the Stones' big mysteries. If it's Trevor Lawrence - who is he? How did he get the gig?

Lawrence is a highly renowned session musician, who has played with lots of major artists, such as Stevie Wonder.

However, as far as I know, hes based in LA, (or the US at least). Unless he happened to be in Britain on a prior engagement I cant imagine why he would have been hired to stand in a studio in London miming a sax part on a Stones record that he didnt play on. I dont know if its him or not, but the idea of hiring him for that 'gig' seems a bit implausible.

Date: January 31, 2008 15:41

"All 3 songs were recorded together at the end of March, I think. 'Brown Sugar' was broadcast on 15th April (and repeated 6.5.71) and the other two in the 'album slot' that briefly was a feature of TOTP around then on the 22nd April.

Tseverin can probably confirm this (as he told me something along these lines about 12 years ago!) but none of these two broadcasts from 15th and 22nd April still exist in the BBC archives. They were wiped many years ago. The clip of 'Brown Sugar' is actually a rerun from the Christmas edition of TOTP (I think its the same thing with the oft-repeated 1967 clip of 'LSTNT')."

Spot on as usual Gazza. Impressive recall!

Date: January 31, 2008 15:43

All 3 tracks do exist on audio however.

Date: January 31, 2008 16:01

they do, but the video of 22.4.71 remains elusive

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 31, 2008 16:06

excuse the slight digression; but what an excellent live vocal by mick in this performance! real funky and soulful and hot; he was into it. what a champ.

Date: January 31, 2008 17:50

duplicate post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 20:13 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 31, 2008 17:52

Trevor Lawrence also plays on GOATS HEAD SOUP and toured Europe with the Stones in 1973. Photos of the brass section from that tour look like the same guy seen in the Brown Sugar TOTP performance.

Brass Olive, I said nothing about the quality of Ronnie's playing, unless you're suggesting Ronnie mimed to a pre-recorded track of Taylor you're missing the point entirely.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: February 1, 2008 09:58

There is no audience present during 'Brown Sugar'but it's definately the TOTP studio. There is another clip of the Who doing 'Won't Get Fooled Again' on the same stage in another show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home