Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any Savoy Brown fans???
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 29, 2008 15:46

I recently bought an old Decca cassette of "Helbound Train" by Savoy Brown.
Although I'd heard of them many times, this is the first time I've ever heard their music and I really enjoyed it.
Can anyone reconmend any of their other albums?
Also, how does this album compare, is it held in high regard among Savoy Brown fans?

Cheers, Vudicus.

Re: OT: Any Savoy Brown fans???
Posted by: Des ()
Date: January 29, 2008 18:45

My second concert ever was a triple bill, Long John Baldry (pushing his Don't Lay No Boogie Woogie), the original Fleetwood mac and as a closer Savoy Brown. Baldry set the bar high for flat out heavy guitar rock, Fleetwood mac came out and put everybody to sleep (blues bands not that big at the time), then SB comes out and states they are a party band and proceed to rock the roof off. Still one of the most energenic concerts I ever attended.

To capture that live atmosphere, like the stones they were a performing band, get their Concert in Central Park (voted concert of the year), give you an idea how to rock in the early seventies.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 29, 2008 20:48

Thank you for the recomendation des, I will be shure to check it out.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 29, 2008 20:50

I really thought that the Savoy Browns would get farther in the playoffs.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 29, 2008 22:12

Ba dump
bump

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: January 29, 2008 23:17

Street Corner talkin'...a great album and part of the soundtrack of my youth!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 29, 2008 23:30

Des - where did you see that concert? I saw it too, in San Bernadino, Calif.
back then, Didn't care for Long John and him proclaming himself: The King of
Rock & Roll... He did the name drop thing too, saying that he told "Jagger"
he was playing San Bern. and Mick said he remembered playing there: With Fond
Memories... a bunch of the girls screamed...

I really liked Fleetwood Mac, was a fan of Danny Kirwan he played some good stuff that night. We liked Fleetwood Mac better than Savoy B. although Kim
Simmons impressed me..

MLC

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 30, 2008 00:01

the first seven albums must have,,,,

Posted by: mrgrowl791 ()
Date: January 30, 2008 01:44

luxury man
Street Corner talkin'...a great album and part of the soundtrack of my youth!

This is my personnal favorite also, followed by Blue Matter.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 30, 2008 01:52

Thanks for reminding me about Savoy Brown vudicus ,I have a couple of vinyls somewhere I must dig out

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 30, 2008 02:06

Hey MCDDTLC,

Was that show at the Swing in San Berdoo? We used to drive out there all the time from LA. Saw Zeppelin and Jethro Tull together, Grateful Dead and Country Joe, Creedence and Lee Michaels, Iron Butterfly!, 3 Dog Night, and more at the Swing. Did you go to the Shrine in LA? That's where I saw the original Fleetwood Mac with Jeremy Spencer and Peter Green.

Saw Savoy Brown at Cal State Fullerton in 1970. Great show, but the power went out in the middle of it. They waited about 20 minutes, the power came back on and the show went on.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 30, 2008 02:20

in the spring of 1970 @ a local college gym went to a gig where Blue Oyster Cult headlined backed by Savoy Brown ,id say only about 400 people there , both bands were good .

Fav Savoy Brown songs " If i could see an End " & Tell Mama

Posted by: Fritz the Cat ()
Date: January 30, 2008 04:35

I don't think George Harrison ever played this song live in concert. (Very compressed sounding, innit?)

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 1, 2008 19:19

MCDDTLC asked: Des - where did you see that concert?

I saw it at the Forum in Vancouver. We showed up without tickts, bought three scalped tickes ($5.50 Can) but he mistakenly slipped us four tickets. We gave one to a guy begging for pennies to buy a ticket. He was so stoned he walked back and forth up the line telling everyone we just walked up to him and gave him a ticket...quite funny. I also recall it was a doulbe show, all three bands playing two shows. We were supposed to end at 10:00 but set changes and Savoy kept the first show going to well past midnight while the second crowd stood in the rain, they yelled at us as we left.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 2, 2008 02:22

Savoy Brown "When I Was A Young Boy"
Thanks for he reminder, Vudicus!!!!!!!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 2, 2008 16:54

Savoy Brown has a song called 'Feel So Good' - recorded live and it's about 23 minutes long. Absolutely rocking, really tremendous. Strongly recommend if you like all-out boogie.

Posted by: DocL ()
Date: February 5, 2008 16:58

Here's a recent blog I did about Savoy Brown/Kim Simmonds:

[blog.myspace.com]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 24, 2008 13:14

Shake Your Hips by Savoy just rocks! good band, not a well-known one but still I enjoy them.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 24, 2008 13:44

Saveloy? Did someone mention saveloy. With a nice portion of chips. Hmmm. Yummy.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 24, 2008 14:47

My older brother had a single of theirs called "Train To Nowhere" which he played to death.

Then, lo and behold, I saw them in the flesh when they turned up as support act to Status Quo at the Liverpool Stadium back in 1973.

They were excellent.

Date: December 24, 2008 15:07

yeah LOGIE, Train to Nowhere is magical stuff... Ten Years After did a not-so-sure rip-off called "Two Time Mama", but I don't mind, both tracks are great.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 24, 2008 15:11

LOGIE

Then, lo and behold, I saw them in the flesh when they turned up as support act to Status Quo at the Liverpool Stadium back in 1973.

They were excellent.

I saw that tour as well (in Glasgow). Been sitting here trying to remember when I saw them, but that was definately it, supporting Status Quo at one of my first (of many) visits to the Glasgow Apollo. And I agree, they were very good. I remember being surprised how many of the audience had heard of Kim Simmonds. Bit of a guitar hero in those days and a general expectation that he would be HUGE....like Clapton, etc..

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 24, 2008 23:04

One of my favorites

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 24, 2008 23:09

simmonds has long-since taken over lead vocals in the current incarnation of savoy brown, which is now a power trio...saw them at a blues fest in '07 and thought they did a good job....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 24, 2008 23:22

I saw Savoy Brown in 1975 or early 1976 at the "Backdoor" at San Diego State University. Within that same year & a half (the time it took me to complete my junior & senior years) I saw Willie Dixon and Roy Harper in the same tiny venue...memories!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 24, 2008 23:53

I liked 'em..haven't heard them lately.

Date: December 24, 2008 23:56

just pick up 'Blue Matter' texas fan! it's fun to listen to some old records smiling smiley

Posted by: deepinder ()
Date: December 25, 2008 00:10

I like Martin Stone of Savoy Brown. I think he was sacked because he was a bad influence after a spell in Denmark, LSD! LOL. The others in the band were just too young and tender in years.

If anyone is interested the front cover of their Debut Decca LP, Stoney remembered instantly when asked that it was in a soon to be demolished house in Hampstead

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home