Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Plant slates Radiohead
Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: January 23, 2008 17:05

Tryin once again with the pix , sorrt if I can`t make it ( maybee to many thumbs )

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: January 23, 2008 18:36

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART??? Love him to death but it's not exactly music for a quiet drink with a lady is it?!!

And neith is Radiohead obv.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 23, 2008 19:56

Nice to see old Robert still gets down to the pub for a few drinks. I guess sitting around your giant medieval castle and writing songs about dragons and fairies gets old after awhile.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 23, 2008 20:38

@Come on
Lots of Beefheart stuff you can get. Trout Mask Replica is Beefheart at his most Beefheart. You might not like the album immediatly but it sure is something different from what you ever heard. Stuff that's a bit older, like his first album with great guitar parts by Ry Cooder, is a bit more accessible.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: January 23, 2008 21:33

@Whale
Well , thats interesting and good to know , by a little more resarch I even found him on the music magazine Rolling Stone`s top 500 ( with the album Trout Mask Replica ) as number 58 , straight afther Stones , who`s on the list as number 57 with Beggars Banquet and before the four fabs ( with Meet the Beatles ) and I also understand he was influenced by Howlin`Wolf . By the way , if you can tell me more , did the Captain play the harmonica too on the first album with ( or without ) Ry Cooder ?

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 23, 2008 21:34

Thing is I doubt a Pub is gonna have a CAPTAIN BEEFHEART CD... Robert needs to bring his own along.... Didn't RADIOHEAD evolve out of HOOTIE AND THE BLOWFISH which became THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND and then BLUES TRAVELER for very short time - self important "Student Music", you can't beat it......

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 24, 2008 10:45

Funny little story involving Robert Plant in the pub.

A good number of years ago Plant was playing Sheffield City Hall.
A mate of mine [who shall be called Dave] is a long time big fan who is known to Mr plant on a nodding hello basis.
Dave's hunch was that Plant would be having a pint before the show in a certain quiet little little pub close to the venue.
So a couple of us went down to whet our whistles at the same hostelry.
Sure enough, Plant and a couple of his entourage were standing at the bar in the "snug". We stood at the other end of the bar.
Mr Plant appeared to look over but didn't clock Dave's greeting and appeared to blank him...leaving Dave feeling a little embarassed.
At that point a bunch of kids walked into the bar and spotted Mr Plant

"Hey..isn't that Ro...."
"..Yeah...some C*NT Plant or other ! " interjected Dave, quite loudly.
At which point Mr Plant coughed half his pint up onto the bar whilst pissing himself laughing and before giving a Dave a big hello mate hug.

We enjoyed the next pint in Mr Plant's company..and the show was great too ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-24 10:47 by Spud.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 24, 2008 11:16

Spud
Funny little story involving Robert Plant in the pub.

A good number of years ago Plant was playing Sheffield City Hall.
A mate of mine [who shall be called Dave] is a long time big fan who is known to Mr plant on a nodding hello basis.
Dave's hunch was that Plant would be having a pint before the show in a certain quiet little little pub close to the venue.
So a couple of us went down to whet our whistles at the same hostelry.
Sure enough, Plant and a couple of his entourage were standing at the bar in the "snug". We stood at the other end of the bar.
Mr Plant appeared to look over but didn't clock Dave's greeting and appeared to blank him...leaving Dave feeling a little embarassed.
At that point a bunch of kids walked into the bar and spotted Mr Plant

"Hey..isn't that Ro...."
"..Yeah...some C*NT Plant or other ! " interjected Dave, quite loudly.
At which point Mr Plant coughed half his pint up onto the bar whilst pissing himself laughing and before giving a Dave a big hello mate hug.

We enjoyed the next pint in Mr Plant's company..and the show was great too ;^)

I have heard nothing but good things about Plant from people who know him personally. He's apparently the nicest, down to earth multimillionaire, lapsed sex symbol rock god you could ever hope to meet.

Date: January 24, 2008 11:18

ablett
...and apples

And bedwetting (Yellow).

Date: January 24, 2008 11:23

Doxa
Sounds like an old fart is giving lessons how to act like an old fart.

- Doxa

Ah yes, Doxa, but consider his choice of music. He slags off Radiohead (widely praised in music crit circles for their "experimentation") and asks for one of the most innovative, experimental musicians out there instead. In short he's telling whoever was grooving to Thom Yorke's whinging paranoid android bollocks, "THIS is how it's done, boyo!"

Date: January 24, 2008 11:24

Whale
@Come on
Lots of Beefheart stuff you can get. Trout Mask Replica is Beefheart at his most Beefheart. You might not like the album immediatly but it sure is something different from what you ever heard. Stuff that's a bit older, like his first album with great guitar parts by Ry Cooder, is a bit more accessible.

Safe as Milk is the one I started with. Never looked back.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 24, 2008 22:12

>Sounds like an old fart is giving lessons how to act like an old fart

Maybe he wanted to hear "Old Fart At Play" : )

Best place to start cold w/Beefheart is the anthology THE DUST BLOWS FORWARD, which gives a good overview right up to his retirement in 1982. TROUT MASK REPLICA can be a bit much to swallow on first listening; many just won't have the patience for it.

Date: January 26, 2008 17:55

Glam you are correct Dust is a good start. Beefheart rules and I love that Plant slagged Radiohead.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 26, 2008 21:49

Wild Slivovitz
I wonder which Red Hot Chili Peppers record they've eventually put on, since there are nasty ones but also very good ones as well.

I wonder about that too. The last three RHCP discs are great! I would think there are some things on those discs Plant would enjoy.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home