Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear Expanded Edition
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 25, 2008 13:06

I got this in the mail yesterday, Marvin's 1978 "divorce album". I've always loved this album. I consider it the equal to his masterpieces - What's Going On, Let's Get It On and I Want You.

The album has been reissued by Universal/Hip-O-Select as a double CD. It features a remastered version of the original album, with another CD of outtakes, instrumentals and alternative takes.

It's an absolutely essential purchase, I reckon,not only for Marvin fans, but also for all of you out there who are into soul music.

I got into Marvin after my mother took me to see him at the Royal Albert Hall in 1981. That was a great gig. I watched my mother - a church-going, normally quite reserved Jamaican lady - turn back the years and behave exactly like a teeny bopper. At one point she screamed out "I love you Marvin!". He heard her and said "I love you too, baby". She fainted! I kid you not.

Anyway, it took me a few years to find Here, My Dear on vinyl in the 1980s. It had been deleted. It had flopped upon initial release. This wasn't the Marvin people wanted - airing his dirty laundry in public, kissing and telling, naming names. It was so intimate, so personal, it was uncomfortable. Sure, you could dance to it, but then the highly personal lyrics would take your feet away. It was shoegazer soul, if you will. Soul for Joy Division fans.

I finally bought a copy second hand in 1987. The guy who sold it to me told me it was a masterpiece. and he was right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 13:06 by Nikolai.

Re: OT: Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear Expanded Edition
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 25, 2008 13:28

Have all his albums he s one of the best

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 25, 2008 13:46

Yeah, great album. It's dark soul though as you point out. Almost like listening to a confession from a patient on the psychiatrist's couch - only the patient happens to be one of the greatest soul singers of all time.

Date: January 25, 2008 14:14

''Anger'' is my fav song of that album

Date: January 25, 2008 17:20

Date: January 25, 2008 17:21

Marvin with Dutch girlfriend

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: January 25, 2008 18:19

nikolai wrote
I got into Marvin after my mother took me to see him at the Royal Albert Hall in 1981. That was a great gig. I watched my mother - a church-going, normally quite reserved Jamaican lady - turn back the years and behave exactly like a teeny bopper. At one point she screamed out "I love you Marvin!". He heard her and said "I love you too, baby". She fainted! I kid you not.

good for you and your mom too!

thanks for the tip - Hip O Select is one of the better series out there in addition to the Rhino catalog. I got the Robbie Robertson double disc - very nice job.

link to the Marvin cd
[www.hip-oselect.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 25, 2008 19:42

Loved the story about your mum. LOL...Marvin was the guv'nor. No soul singer has come close since.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 26, 2008 02:26

I also think it's one of Marvin's best albums. Unaware it had been given the expanded treatment, but I'll have to get it

Date: January 26, 2008 11:33

rooster

Trouble Man's good, but the best one is David Ritz's Divided Soul. Marvin authorised that warts and all portrait before his death and gave numerous interviews to Ritz for the book.

Date: January 26, 2008 12:46

john r
I also think it's one of Marvin's best albums. Unaware it had been given the expanded treatment, but I'll have to get it

The extra material is very interesting. The outtakes and alternative versions have been remixed by the likes of Bootsy Collins, Easy Mo Nee, Prince Paul and ?uestlove of The Roots, BUTthere are no overdubs or samples, they've basically cleaned up the existing tapes. So, don't worry, you won't hear Jay Z or Beyonce duetting with Marvin on here a la those last two Sinatra albums. Thank Christ!

The stand-outs here an expanded mix of Time To Get It Together (sample lyric: Blowin' coke all up my nose/Gettin' in and out of my clothes/Foolin' round with midnight ho's), which reveals it as the dancefloor stomper it always was and a great extended mix of A Funky pace Reincarnation.

Date: January 26, 2008 14:02

Yeah Nikolai i really wanna read divided soul...great thread!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2008 14:31

ROCKMAN

Date: January 26, 2008 14:32

Thanks Rockman! great!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2008 14:37

Don't mention it man....It's a breeze....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 26, 2008 15:57

rooster
Yeah Nikolai i really wanna read divided soul...great thread!

Fantastic book. It's a good read even if you're NOT a fan. Absolutely essential if you are.

Date: January 26, 2008 16:30

I will read that book!! Btw this is a fav album of mine..i still cant believe how good and wonderfull ...it is to me a lament ,a sensation..it aged very well...this deluxe version is even more special...it has the only''whats going on'' live performance!! go get it today!

Date: January 26, 2008 16:41

Date: January 26, 2008 16:50

Marvin on the far right

Date: January 26, 2008 16:51

Date: January 26, 2008 20:46

Great photos, Rooster and Rockman.

Rooster have you noticed any substantial differences in the original Detroit Mix of What's Going On? Apart from the switched intro, from beginning to end of the opening song, and the slightly "dryer" feel of the original mix. I prefer the familiar version.

Secondly, in that Berry Gordy/Motown special, Marvin was coked out of his gourd. That's why he wore dark glasses.

And thirdly, want to know where those boots Elton John wore in the Pinball Wizard sequence of Tommy came from ....

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Date: January 26, 2008 22:02

The coolest motown artist by far

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home