Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Soundtrack
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 22, 2008 22:25

This is how I hope the soundtrack runs - sorry there are ONLY 3 warhorses on it:

1. Shattered
2. She Was Hot
3. All Down The Line
4. Loving Cup
5. Shine A Light
6. Some Girls
7. Far Away Eyes
8. Champagne & Reefer
9. Tumbling Dice
10. You Got The Silver
11. Connection
12. Little T&A
13. Sympathy For The Devil
14. Paint It Black
15. Brown Sugar

Re: Soundtrack
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 22, 2008 23:21

Works for me.

Posted by: 55 Rusty ()
Date: January 22, 2008 23:34

hope As Tears Go By will be on the soundtrack

Date: January 23, 2008 00:33

I think that would make a very excellent live album based on what was played for those two nights (Undercover Of The Night? Is that really, what, come ON! Why not haul out the crappy Rock And A Hard Place while they're at it? Goddamn). Song wise. Performance wise I guess we'll have to wait and find out. I do wish there was at least one ABB tune on it, Rough Justice preferably. Oh well. No matter. I will be getting the DVD soon. That has, what, at least 4 new tracks on it? I really wish they would have played more off the new record. I guess those days are over with.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 23, 2008 04:12

I LIKE Undercover (but not Rock in a Hard Place), tho the '89 live version seemed too canned.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 23, 2008 14:48

If the sound of the trailer is any indication, you got add JJF to it. It sounds so powerful to me. ATGB also needs to be added.

Date: January 23, 2008 16:20

Don't think three of Keith's songs will make it on the record. But it's hard to decide which one of the tracks that's gotta go confused smiley

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 23, 2008 17:52

By all accounts, Live With Me with Christina was the highlight of the shows ( to everyone's amazement).

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-24 18:18 by cbtaco19.

Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: January 23, 2008 22:52

What about I´m Free! Have to be heard!
Tommy

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 23, 2008 23:07

Here's what was played both nights with notes of available versions on CD from the post-STEEL WHEELS era.

1.Satisfaction (also on FLASHPOINT and LIVE LICKS)
2.As Tears Go By (no live versions on CD...essential)
3.I'm Free (also on STRIPPED)
4.Paint It Black (also on FLASHPOINT and LIVE LICKS)
5.Connection (also on Keith's LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM)
6.JJF (also on FLASHPOINT and long overdue for a newer live version)
7.SFTD (also on FLASHPOINT and long overdue for a newer live version)
8.HTW (also on LIVE LICKS)
9.Live with Me (a STRIPPED B-side and also on NO SECURITY)
10.You Got the Silver (no live versions on CD...essential)
11.Brown Sugar (also on FLASHPOINT and LIVE LICKS)
12.Tumbling Dice (a FLASHPOINT and STRIPPED B-side)
13.All Down the Line (a STRIPPED B-side)
14.Loving Cup (no live versions on CD...essential)
15.Shine a Light (also on STRIPPED)
16.Shattered (no live version since STILL LIFE...essential)
17.Just My Imagination (no live version since STILL LIFE...essential)
18.Far Away Eyes (no live versions on CD...essential)
19.Some Girls (no live versions on CD...essential)
20.Start Me Up (also on FLASHPOINT and LIVE LICKS)
21.Little T & A (no live versions on CD...essential)
22.Undercover (also a FLASHPOINT B-side)
23.She Was Hot (no live versions on CD...essential)
24.Champagne and Reefer (never before released...essential)

The fact that this title is on Universal, not Virgin probably means the repetition of War Horses already available on both FLASHPOINT and LIVE LICKS (a release barely three years old) will not be weeded out. The best we can hope for is a 2 disc set with all 24 tracks. I fear a single disc release that edits much of what I would consider essential in favor of tracks that make this release a Greatest Hits live with what passes for superstar duets.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 24, 2008 00:09

Rocky Dijon
I fear a single disc release that edits much of what I would consider essential in favor of tracks that make this release a Greatest Hits live with what passes for superstar duets.

This reflects my fears too. In fact, this would be a nightmare.

Date: January 24, 2008 00:33

No Securuty (1998) had a terrific setlist - 6 out of 13 tracks were 'recent'meaning unrecorded ('Corinna'), or from the 1994 - 97 era. And the 'oldies' included non-horses 'Waiting On a Friend' ('81), 'Respectable'('78), 'Memory Motel' ('76), 'Sister Morphine' ('71) and only three from the '60s, 'Gimmie Shelter', 'Last Time' (no live version since '66 !), and 'Live with Me'. But the record stiffed, fell off the chart before the NS tour even began. I happen to think the aggressively unappealing cover had something to do with this, as well as a pallid, mushy mix, so had it received any airplay it would have sounded bland. But I bet Mick thinks there should have been more old hits, which is what they did on much of Live Licks, a throaway live set issued a year after the tour ended and the boxed set DVD came out. They must know Dave Matthews (in the late 90s a HUGE seller and draw in the states) didn't help sell any copies of NS. If the movie gets a reasonable amount of publicity (Scorsese! the Stones!), and the disc is creatively marketed, it might do better than the last two, but I don't see readymade market other than those of us who buy every Stones album.

Date: January 24, 2008 01:41

I thought No Security's mixes were excellent. Live Licks sounds even better. Flashpoint sounds one dimensional.

Heh...I like the post-Steel Wheels live album tracks list of the songs from the two shows for this movie/sountrack-live LP but why deny any previous releases on previous live albums?

I don't mean to beat a dead war horse ha ha....

JJF on Ya-Ya's!, Love You Live and Flashpoint. Please not again.
Brown Sugar on Love You Live, Flashpoint and Live Licks. Please not again!
Honky Tonk on Ya-Ya's!, Love You Live and Live Licks. Please not again! PLEASE!
Start Me Up on Still Life, Flashpoint and Live Licks. YAWN! Not again!
SFTD is Ya-Ya's! - still the best version; Love You Live and Flashpoint. It's still being played the same way as it was for Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle. So personally I see no need for it on another live album. And I hope it's left off this one but that's just me. And I can't see 98's Gimme Shelter ever being topped and...it wasn't played anyway either of those nights. I still think the NS version of Gimme Shelter smokes the Stripped B-side version. So at least there's no worry about Gimme.

It would be nice to get a killer version of Tumbling Dice on a live album - the Voodoo tour performance would have been excellent to include on Stripped but all we got was the warm-up to performance version - which is still KILLER. The Bridges performance was just as stellar. The Licks version is a bit rougher - at least it's on DVD! but still hot. So hopefully if it's on this album it will be just as up.

Eh, right, should have included As Tears Go By on my hopeful edited version of what the album will be. I'm Free though - that is just a crap song. Sorry.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 24, 2008 01:44

No, they need to release both show, unedited, if they have the cojones...

Now that would be good.

JR

Date: January 24, 2008 04:40

skipstone you've convinced me to give NS another spin - it's been a few years, and I have a different system. I was happy to see the focus on new stuff. I never liked Love You Live (except 'Crackin Up' & 'Mannish Boy') as Mick's vocals were terrible. The live "When The Whip Comes Down" on Sucking In The 70s blows the entire LYL set away imo...Flashpoint is too slick, as was the tour, tho I like 'Highwire'. I'm very fond of Stripped and the '95-96 singles/outtakes.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: January 24, 2008 04:56

Unless they release all songs they will cut out good songs and leave in those boring warhorses, thats just they way it always seems to be. I mean BS, JJF, STU etc does not sound any different from the other twizillion times they been released??!!??? But Stones always undermine their fans.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 24, 2008 10:17

If they're not worried about performing the same material too often live...they're probbaly not going to worry about releasing the same material too often on live albums or "soundtracks" either.
Mind you, I don't think that considertaion of what's been on previous live albums should be a factor in choosing the track listing for this release.
The event was the thing...and whichever material comes over the best should be used ... warhorse or not.
Which of us still doesn't get off on a good new cut of JJF ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-24 10:17 by Spud.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 15:28

What about vintage archive material? Perhaps there could be something from the vaults on the soundtrack no?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 24, 2008 15:30

It will be called: Shine A Light - Edited To Death

Posted by: rs1806 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 15:40

hey Rocky Dijon, just read in your post about a STRIPPED b-Side.. I own this album, but where can I get those songs?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2008 15:45

Spud
If they're not worried about performing the same material too often live...they're probbaly not going to worry about releasing the same material too often on live albums or "soundtracks" either.
Mind you, I don't think that considertaion of what's been on previous live albums should be a factor in choosing the track listing for this release.
The event was the thing...and whichever material comes over the best should be used ... warhorse or not.
Which of us still doesn't get off on a good new cut of JJF ?

I think the thing to remember is that its a movie by Scorsese, first and foremost. He will probably want to pick whatever songs LOOK (or can be edited to look) and sound best for the movie - regardless of how many live albums theyve appeared on before. The soundtrack is most definitely an afterthought by comparison. This could well be one Stones album where, whilst they have a degree of input into the track listing, they end up having less control over whats included than ever before.

Unless of course they choose to release some different songs from the ones chosen for the film. Which I doubt.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 24, 2008 16:23

am i the only one on here, whos struggling to get excited,
by this forthcoming cd?

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: January 24, 2008 16:53

I hope something like this:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Shattered
3. (Just My) Imagination
4. All Down The Line
5. Tumbling Dice
6. She Was Hot
7. Little T&A
8. Some Girls
9. Live With Me
10. Shine A Light
11. You Got The Silver
12. Connection
13. As Tears Go By
14. Paint It Black
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Sympathy For The Devil

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 24, 2008 17:09

To rs1806: the CD singles for LIKE A ROLLING STONE and WILD HORSES include "Black Limousine" (also on the Japanese import of STRIPPED), "Live with Me" (also on RARITIES), "All Down the Line," "Gimme Shelter" (also on the SAINT OF ME CD single), "Tumbling Dice" (also on RARITIES). A live "I Go Wild" was on the I GO WILD CD single. "It's All Over Now" was an iTunes exclusive a couple years ago. "Honest I Do" was on the HOPE FLOATS soundtrack CD. A bootleg called STRIPPED COMPANION also includes "Let's Spend the Night Together," "No Expectations," "Memory Motel," "Beast of Burden," and "Rip This Joint" in official release quality. That would give you everything from the tour or STRIPPED sessions that has been released on CD. There is also an out of print DVD of the 1994 Pay Per View special from Miami and bootleg copies of the VH1 STRIPPED tv special.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 18:29

zeb
I hope something like this:

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Shattered
3. (Just My) Imagination
4. All Down The Line
5. Tumbling Dice
6. She Was Hot
7. Little T&A
8. Some Girls
9. Live With Me
10. Shine A Light
11. You Got The Silver
12. Connection
13. As Tears Go By
14. Paint It Black
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Sympathy For The Devil

It is a foregone conclusion that Loving Cup and Champagne and Reefer will be on the soundtrack. They are high-profile duets that will be prominently featured in the film. No way will they leave Jack White and Buddy Guy on the cutting room floor.drinking smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 19:38

There's been no release date yet for the soundtrack right?

Date: January 24, 2008 21:13

One would think the soundtrack would come out before the movie. Although for some reason, just as they start a tour for a new record before the new record comes out...

I love No Security. I listened to it on my Walkman on the streetcar after buying it at Tower Records when it came out. I was walking through the French Quarter cursing them for not coming to New Orleans but pleased that at least I have a live album from the tour to groove on. They have not come back to NOLA. I doubt they will with the way the city gouges acts with the rental fee of the Superdome and the taxes.

I loved that it had, what, FOUR new songs on it! Flashpoint had 3 - and only one of them was a good one! Still Life had...uh...what...one? Unless you want to count Let Me Go as one as well...might as well...

I find it a bit odd that they didn't include Don't Stop on Licks. I know it's not a great song but it was the single.

I've always thought No Security was under-appreciated and any other under. To me it's their second best live album period.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2139
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home