Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Super Bowl XLII--NY Giants vs New England Patriots
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 23, 2008 13:55

Pats will prevail , Belichicks a genius

Posted by: Landover 81 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 00:32

IF Manning pulls it off it would dwarf the Colts/Jets upset.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 24, 2008 01:52

Landover 81
IF Manning pulls it off it would dwarf the Colts/Jets upset.

Would have to respectfully disagree with that premise. An upset yes. An upset of the magnitude of the Jets over the Colts.......no!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:25

Ahhhh...the Bruins will NOT win the Stanley Cup so don't worry, Boston will not dominate all of the major sports trophies from this past season.

As far as the Red Sox, as long as it's not the Yankees I think the entire WORLD is happy! HA HA! Of course the funny thing is I had to ask someone who won the so called World Series last year the other day...I couldn't remember. I could barely remember who won it when the Cardinals won. I knew it wasn't a New England team or some NY team.

But I'm guessing the Detroit Red Wings will hoist the Cup this year.

Date: January 24, 2008 03:15

Is Hockey really a "major" sport. I suppose in some places it is but in the big picture of sports I'm not so sure it is.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 24, 2008 03:20

I could look this up. But does anybody know if there has ever been teams from one city or region, that won the Super Bowl and World Series in the same year?....And no the Bruins won't win the Stanley Cup. The San Jose Sharks will.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: January 24, 2008 03:48

Mets-Giants in 86

NY Mets won the series on october of 86...probably 3-4 games into the NFL season, the regular season ended at the end of 86, playoffs + super bowl beginning of 87.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-24 03:51 by Bingo.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 24, 2008 03:53

Of course it would have to be New York.LOL...Thanks Bingo.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 24, 2008 04:57

Shouldn't this stuff be in the [yawning smiley] Getting to Sleep thread ???
grinning smiley

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 24, 2008 05:02

Bingo
Mets-Giants in 86

NY Mets won the series on october of 86...probably 3-4 games into the NFL season, the regular season ended at the end of 86, playoffs + super bowl beginning of 87.

I was a kid and a big NY sports fan when this happened. Will be a fan of both of these teams forever.

Go Giants!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 24, 2008 15:55

Heard the joke about the difference between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady?
Brady has actually turned down offers to appear in ads.

Date: January 24, 2008 16:00

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 17:19

Sweet shot Bingo.

Betting line dropping - it was 14 points and it's now 12.

Go Giants.

Date: January 24, 2008 17:58

There are some great shots on this link....scroll down to the 2nd red box that says PHOTOS.

[www.newsday.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 19:41

I could care less - hate em both. Still can't believe the friggin Giants are in it. I"m sick and tired of listenin to all the Sh-t surrounding the Pats and now the Giants fans won't shut up either. God I can't wait til it's over but for once, I won't be watchin it.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: January 24, 2008 19:46

GO GIANTS

Date: January 24, 2008 20:34

Bingo
Mets-Giants in 86

This also occured in "79" when the Pirates and Steelers both won and again in "2004" with the Red Sox and Patriots.

And with a win by the Pats that scenario will be repeated this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-24 20:36 by No Expectations.

Date: January 24, 2008 20:58

Hockey is a major sport, one of the oldest sports in North America and has the biggest trophy to boot. It's one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. It's just that it's lost on such lazy crap as 'major' league baseball...America's fat time - I mean past time. And the NBA. I used to watch but then Jordan retired...so there's no real standout player in the NBA anymore and probably won't be for a while.

I just watch NFL and NHL games.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 24, 2008 21:21

Same here skipstone, and tennis sometimes if there's a good match-up

Date: January 24, 2008 21:23

skipstone... Don't think I'd consider hockey a major sport based on its age and trophy. Hockey is a great sport don't get me wrong but two of the oldest sports in the US are horse racing and boxing. And I wouldn't call either a major sport anymore. Football, baseball and basketball are way ahead of other sports in regards to money it makes and fans who are interested these days and just about everything else.

Not sure if you ever played baseball but its hardly a fat man's sport, it takes good conditioning and athletic ability. I also don't think a stand out player makes the sport good or bad.. hockey hasn't had a real stand out, marketable player since Gretzky retired.

Date: January 24, 2008 21:33

Oh I know. Hell, I can't hit a baseball that's going over 20 mph. But those dudes that pitch are getting bigger and...wider. And some of the hitters...they don't seem to put forth 100% of effort to get to first base sometimes, whether they're gonna be tossed out or not.

Sydney Crosby is the NHL's next Gretzky. Give it time. He's already done a tremendous job of drawing attention to the game. It's still a major sport. Hell, hockey is world wide. It's a bigger sport than one might think. It just doesn't get the coverage of TV hype like NFL games do.

Date: January 24, 2008 22:02

Oh I know about players not hustling, however I think that is more of a result of spoiled millionaire athletes. I am also a Knicks fan and these guys seem like they barley try some nights. For that kind of money effort shouldn't be an issue. And yeah, some pitchers in baseball get sort of babied but the ones that don't stay in shape usually don't last, unless you get some extra help like Clemens did..

By the way, regarding hockey I hope they do more outdoor games in the future. I think that will help get casual fans a bit more interested. The game started by being played outside so its pretty cool to see that.

Date: January 25, 2008 01:10

Hound Dog
skipstone... Don't think I'd consider hockey a major sport based on its age and trophy. Hockey is a great sport don't get me wrong but two of the oldest sports in the US are horse racing and boxing. And I wouldn't call either a major sport anymore. Football, baseball and basketball are way ahead of other sports in regards to money it makes and fans who are interested these days and just about everything else.

Not sure if you ever played baseball but its hardly a fat man's sport, it takes good conditioning and athletic ability. I also don't think a stand out player makes the sport good or bad.. hockey hasn't had a real stand out, marketable player since Gretzky retired.

My point exactly!!

Date: January 25, 2008 01:15

Ha ha ha ha I consider baseball the Britney Spears of sports.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 25, 2008 15:26

skipstone
Hockey is a major sport, one of the oldest sports in North America and has the biggest trophy to boot. It's one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. It's just that it's lost on such lazy crap as 'major' league baseball...America's fat time - I mean past time. And the NBA. I used to watch but then Jordan retired...so there's no real standout player in the NBA anymore and probably won't be for a while.

I just watch NFL and NHL games.

Me too. The last couple of years I have totally lost interest in Basketball. As far as Baseball is concerned I can't watch it until at least September.

Football and Hockey I've always loved. But I am sick of all the monkey jumping in Football. (every time someone makes a play they have to start pointing, chest pounding, and hopping up and down.)

Hockey, at least when players get pushy they can fight like real men, not bitch slapping like Football.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 25, 2008 16:53

skipstone
Ha ha ha ha I consider baseball the Britney Spears of sports.

wtf????.......I'm guessing you've never played baseball.

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: January 25, 2008 17:36

I'm calling the Giants in a close one...NYG 31, NE 28. Either way, it should be a great game, made even better with Tom Petty playing at halftime.

Date: January 25, 2008 18:26

I've played baseball...bored me to tears. The Britney Spears of sports - all the hype, no quality, no talent. All those geezers on enhancing drugs. For what? Not one of them is honest about any of it.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 25, 2008 22:14

Pats Baby. I can not wait to see Tom Coughlin cry.

Tom Petty??!! I mean,how boring. I can understand the Stones, Prince, even Janet Jackson becuase they put on a a real show. But Petty?

What kind of stage show does he do? Dancing? Searing guitar? I saw him a few years back and he just stood there and played guitar. I mean, why not Dylan? At least he has A LOT of history.

They want just safe music for the fat rich white guys to listen to.

Pats,baby..........oh yeah.....Red Sox, Celtics, and yes, the Bruins

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 25, 2008 22:58

Football and Hockey I've always loved. But I am sick of all the monkey jumping in Football. (every time someone makes a play they have to start pointing, chest pounding, and hopping up and down.)

Hockey, at least when players get pushy they can fight like real men, not bitch slapping like Football.[/quote]

I'm with you Sicilian! I played hockey up until college (as well as baseball). I was a goon on the ice.

As far as baseball is concerned, it like bicycle racing or car racing is like a chess match. There is a lot going on that we really do not see. Yes, the guys are not as fit as say soccer or basketball players but they do need to run!

Unlike golf..........now THAT is not a sport! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home