Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any Thoughts on Eric Clapton, Pattie Boyd Books?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 16, 2008 18:56

Recently read them both. Among the few honest books I've read on the way it was and what happens when the spotlight becomes too bright.

Re: Any Thoughts on Eric Clapton, Pattie Boyd Books?
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 16, 2008 19:39

Although not a huge fan of Clapton's I thought his autobio was fantastic. Very searing at times. You almost felt it was a cathartic thing he had to write. Not the usual Rock'n'Roll rubbish about driving cars in to swimming pools or groupies. It's the sheer stature of the man, his painful honesty regarding his demons and his knowledge of the blues that carry this book. You alsosense that he probably 'wrote' most of it himself.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 16, 2008 19:49

The Clapton book knocked me out, I never expected Clapton to be so honest and humble - and make it such a great read also. Couldn't put it down once I got started. I sure got a new respect for Clapton after reading his book....which I presume is written by himself, and not a ghostwriter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-16 20:08 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: January 16, 2008 20:22

Odd, I got the Clapton book a few weeks ago. I started reading it but I couldn\'t get through the first chapter going on and on describing the boring village he lived in, the local shops, all his aunts and uncles in colourful detail, and it just goes on. I expect it to go on for quite a bit too. But I\'ve had that with a lot of biographies. I tried reading one about Keith, but when he was still only having ice cream with Mick half way through, I gave up.

I got Ronnie`s too, I haven`t started it yet... hope he isn`t as nostalgic.

Date: January 16, 2008 20:28

Oh you didn't care for the early days ? It reminded me of Bukowski's Ham And Rye... a boy-vs-the-world description...thought it was very good. Imagine Eric Clapton making a mess out of train wagons...ha

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 16, 2008 20:29

Claptons book was great , haven't read the other .

Date: January 16, 2008 20:40

Pattie Boyds book was full of minor errors - such as travelling to Bangor to meet the Maharishi and departing from Paddington. In fact they departed from Euston.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: January 16, 2008 21:11

i the last chapter (?) he wrote where and when he finished the book
on his lap. imo, i think this is the reason, why this book is really
good, he's done this almost without any help.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 16, 2008 23:19

Sir Craven of Cottage
Pattie Boyds book was full of minor errors - such as travelling to Bangor to meet the Maharishi and departing from Paddington. In fact they departed from Euston.

They were so stoned it's a wonder they got on the right train.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 17, 2008 01:21

I read the Clapton one first and thought it was awesome! Most rock biographies are a bit shallow, not so detailed and loaded with rubbish but as someone said, Clapton's is painfully honest, poignant and very well written. I thought RONNIE was a trainwreck in parts, not great grammar, not well written at all, in parts. I still enjoyed the read though, learning about his rather poor start in life. Ronnie seemed to be a happy kid in spite of his hardships. Clapton's life was horrible, thinking his grandma was his mother and not knowing his dad! Now I see why he sings the blues so convincingly. Patti Boyd's book was a great contrast; I loved reading about her early life dating and then marrying a Beatle! What a life she had! A model, photographer, world traveler, married to George and Clapton! She reached the heights and then descended to some pretty low points. I loved all 3 books, for the most part but Clapton was head and shoulders above the rest! ]

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 17, 2008 02:35

This was interesting

Shortly after their books came out da N. Y. Post had a piece where they took 6 of the exact same topics from each of their books.
The result ?
Patty's & Eric's answers were completely different for all 6 topics

Date: January 17, 2008 03:30

King Snake, hope when you get 'round to Ronnie's he waits for a few chapters to bring up his "ice cream with Mick" experience.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 18:35

I've read Clapton's book, but not Pattie's. The Clapton book was a very nice read. I got it for Christmas and finished it within a few days. I'm a big fan of Eric's though and would have liked more detail on some of his tours, like the '75 American Tour which is my favorite as far as his solo tours. But while recounting that era, he focused much more on offstage antics: His constant drunkeness and pranks with Robert Stigwood, Pattie, etc.

Still it was a really nice read and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 17, 2008 19:43

interesting--I wouldn't have thought Clapton's book could be any good. I may track it down now, thanks for the comments.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 17, 2008 20:23

....yeah, thanks...I may buy it in spite of King Snake's blistering review

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:08

I found it amazing that both Harrison and Clapton treated Patti Boyd so shabbily... Clapton comes across as a real @#$%&-- totally self-centered. Its hard to feel sorry for a guy who treats women like that. Drunk or no drunk.
At least she still has her good looks.....

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 18, 2008 01:48

bob r
I found it amazing that both Harrison and Clapton treated Patti Boyd so shabbily... Clapton comes across as a real @#$%&-- totally self-centered. Its hard to feel sorry for a guy who treats women like that. Drunk or no drunk.
At least she still has her good looks.....

Sorry Bob R I know it's all about opinions and interpretations and I'm no Clapton sychophant but I must have read different books 'cos that's not what I took out of them. Yes he mistreated her but I think he carries that burden to this day and it will be something he readily addressed in his 'recovery steps'. But to call the guy a real @#$%&.....

I'd imagine Patti herself has come out the other side of it ok. Hell without Harrison and Clapton who'd have bought her book?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 01:54 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Date: January 18, 2008 02:27

I thought that Clapton was a bastard too until I realized Patti could have just left at any point but she had a lifestyle that apparently she felt she deserved and needed to maintain. She is all about hob-nobbing with the rich and famous and honestly, she could have supported herself and not begged Eric for money and houses, or kept taking large sums of money from George so I truly do not feel sorry for her at all!!! I wonder where some folks get off thinking everyone OWES them a living! She could have modeled longer, or just pushed her photography but she chose to live off George and Eric! BOO-HOO?? NOT!

Date: January 18, 2008 03:31

Some people take the marriage vows seriously.

Date: January 20, 2008 02:44

Well, Patti's biggest regret was leaving George and her marriage for Eric. The fact still remains that she DID leave. She claims Clapton's romance was fiery whereas the romance and love that she shared with George was more gentle and he was her true soulmate. Patti sure did have a fascinating life!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 20, 2008 02:56

Wait'll she meets me!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 20, 2008 03:11

Elmo Lewis
Wait'll she meets me!

You have a point, Elmo, imagine if an ex-girlfriend wrote a whole book about the affair.... I'd look like Lucifer, if so

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: January 20, 2008 14:28

Read ECs book when it came out because he was always an enigma to me. The book is great at the outset and paints his childhood in a barren emotional landscape. The tone is mature and gives off a sense of happiness reached at the end of some hard travels. A lot of the middle bits are unfortunately lost in a self admitted fog (like the Concert for Bangladesh - one of his saddest moments). As rock bios go, its one of the sturdier ones.

As music goes, at least Marianne has one decent album (Broken English) to cred her attitude versus some of these other 'personalities'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home