Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why do you collect Stones stuff?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 14, 2008 07:09

Besides owning all the Stones studio albums (on CD and original vinyl), I only have my ticket stubs and programs that I saved, plus a dozen or so bootlegs. It's only value is sentimental, I suppose. Does all of that stones stuff have any $$ value? Is its value only sentimental?

Regarding avidly collecting Stones recordings (which I don't personally)... How many Stones CDs and DVDs are on your shelf... will you watch them all again? (and again?) People still like to collect 'em and trade 'em with their friends. What if you're a "completeist"? You'd have a lot of space to store it all... and you'd always need to get some obscure disc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 21:46 by schillid.

Re: Why do you collect Stones stuff?
Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: January 14, 2008 07:34

I personally can watch and listen to all the CDs and DVDs (which I don't really have a lot of) over and over again. Maybe it's the way my mind works, or the way the Stone's work, or both. But, everytime I do re-listen/watch, I hear like a little riff or insturment in there I didn't hear the last 500 times, and some times it changes the whole song or puts a new angle on it.
Like, I listened to Get Off My Cloud thousands of times when I got the 40 Licks CD but I never really heard the main riff they put in there. Then I hear a version on the radio where the riff is all the way out there, louder than everything else and I loved the song that much more. A band with as much depth as the Stone's, no one can ever have too much collectibles.

I still have the ticket stub of a concert I saw on the ABB tour (my first). It's a piece of history- you can always have fond memories, but being able to actually hold something just puts a legitness on it, tangibility etc.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:38

...because they are the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:44

Because dust is @#$%&' boring.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:54

What if it's
Gold dust ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2008 09:05

Dust My Broom....Elmo James with
Sonny Boy on harp...now that's a great record

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-14 09:49 by Rockman.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 14, 2008 14:07

Working on their discography....over 3,000 vinyl Stones records; 0ver 1,000 cassettes of live stuff, outtakes, etc; hundreds of books, posters and cds. I also enjoy the heck out of them.

JR

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: January 14, 2008 15:54

my absolute undying love for the rolling stones lead me to work in the music business for the past 27 years during that time i worked with 3 companies associated with the stones and just started getting stuff, lots of it, after i while people just give me things i as totally appreciate it.
i am one lucky stones freak.
i have over 500 items outside of several hundred different styles of music carriers, DVD, CD, Lp, 45, Cassette.
still love them madly......

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 14, 2008 16:56

The older I get, the more I wonder why I bother to collect anything at all. I can't take it with me, right? And I doubt my kids will want any of it. It'll probably just end up in a storage shed or a garage. I've always tried to strike a balance between owning stuff and DOING stuff. I think, now, I'd rather DO something than BUY something.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 14, 2008 17:46

I've actually made arrangements for my Godchild to inherit my Stones collection; she will care for it and give it to the right people if she choses to distribute it. Why do I collect it? Because I love it all, I do look at the books, the dvd, and I listen to the old cds, not as much as I'd like to though. My photos are my real treasures and I am trying to put them onto disks. It will be a project for retirement!

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 14, 2008 18:00

... because my wife went with another man while the Stones are still with me.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 14, 2008 18:04

I collect it out of my own personal love of the band. Don't really care what its worth.. Although its tough when you want a book or whatever that you have to pay top dollar for.. As far as cds and dvds go. I can also watch or listen to these over and over and do quite often.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 14, 2008 21:05

Tatters I relate well to what you are saying.I am a big collector but an even bigger horder.I throw little stuff away.My father and Grandfather were just the same.My son seems to be going the same way.The house is full.And like you say you can't take it with you.I asked an elderly family friend the question:Whats the point in keeping all this stuff?And he replied it tells the people who are left a little more about you,and who cares what they do with it.So I keel collecing and hording with a little less conviction each year.Sometimes I feel like getting a massive incinerator and burn the lot.It would probably be quite cathartic.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 14, 2008 22:35

I was a big Stones collector from approx 1981-1994. I still have most of it.
I enjoyed the "treasure hunt" aspects of it. I'd go to rummage sales, record shows, import shops etc etc...... Ebay has taken the thrill out of that....and trading MP3 recordings online has filled my need for bootleg recordings.

I still enjoy looking through it....listening to it....and watching the videos etc.............I had hoped to build a Stones-themed "rec room". Still might happen. (Luckily my wife is a Stones fan)

If I ever come across a RS pinball machine at a reasonable price, I'll snatch it up.

I've always had the COLLECTING BUG.....sports memorabilia, photo equipment, rock & roll memorabilia..... I try to keep it under control.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 00:39 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 15, 2008 02:25

stargroover
Tatters I relate well to what you are saying.I am a big collector but an even bigger horder.I throw little stuff away.My father and Grandfather were just the same.My son seems to be going the same way.The house is full.And like you say you can't take it with you.I asked an elderly family friend the question:Whats the point in keeping all this stuff?And he replied it tells the people who are left a little more about you,and who cares what they do with it.So I keel collecing and hording with a little less conviction each year.Sometimes I feel like getting a massive incinerator and burn the lot.It would probably be quite cathartic.

It's not so much that I want to get rid of the stuff I have, it's just that I am feeling less and less inclined to make NEW aquisitions. I sometimes wonder what it will be like when I'm my mom's age. She'll be 77 next month. I'll probably be looking at stuff online and thinking "Wow, they finally released that 1972 live Stones album! But do I really need it now? Crap, I could be dead by the time the package arrives!"

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 15, 2008 07:16

Because a touch of glimmer is more addicting than smack......

Because 2000 pieces of vinyl and another 500 plus live and boot CDs scream at me every day like geese wanting me to shoot water rats....

Because the band's music is just so damn good!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 16, 2008 17:36

Well, in fact, I don't collect Stones stuff. But I'm not a casual listener either. Late-born would fit better, I think. CD nerd. Slightly frustrated mixtaper that's been made redundant by the iTunes cause these days, everybody can make their own mixes. Tom Petty might call me, among others, "the last DJ". I focus on classic rock related styles and artists material from the late 80s until today - and the Stones are an important band in that regard. I don't like to grieve or mourn that bygone era of radio and tape deck side by side, because the internet has many benefits, including way way much better exposure for musicians going independent, way way much better possibilites for importing discs by yourself, and it's so much easier to find used out of print CDs cheaply as well.
Without the net, my CD collection wouldn't look like it does today. Have Promotone BV and ABCKO Co. benefitted from this in my case? I'm not sure.

Still, if it weren't for this board, I had never heard of the Alfie soundtrack having a US bonus track, I had never heard of Blondie Chaplin's Between Us, and never heard of And Now ... The Verbs, either.
Now let's have a new Ron Wood solo album, please!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 16, 2008 23:56

It's an attempt to fill the emotional void in my life.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 17, 2008 03:41

tatters
The older I get, the more I wonder why I bother to collect anything at all. I can't take it with me, right? And I doubt my kids will want any of it. It'll probably just end up in a storage shed or a garage. I've always tried to strike a balance between owning stuff and DOING stuff. I think, now, I'd rather DO something than BUY something.

very wise

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 17, 2008 03:44

Yes, I was just going to say, to fill up the empty spaces in my life.

Also, to fill up the empty spaces in my heart. Now that Queenie has rebuffed me, I really need that more than ever.

plexi

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 17, 2008 04:06

because its my life blood!!!!!!!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: January 18, 2008 08:31

Because I love their music. There won't ever be another group like them!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 18, 2008 12:12

do you need a reason ?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 18, 2008 12:25

Why always why

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 18, 2008 18:33

More interesting than collecting Osmond Brothers stuff.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 18:46

The Stones are such a huge part of my life. All the albums (CDs), DVDs etc. Think of all the music out there, but we've all chosen to spend our valuable time, money and sanity (and some insanity) with Mick & the boys.

Sounds you hear with your ears, but-- Good music you FEEL, through your soul!

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 21:05

Why collect? Because I can.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 18, 2008 21:13

Actually the real reason if for my Viking Funeral. I want all the stuff chucked aboard a Dragon Ship with me and burned as they set my dead ass asea....

Take THAT, if you can....

JR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home