Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

If you had only one ticket for this festival, which show would you choose?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:52

Maybe you already attended one or both of these. But if you did not, which one would you choose and why? I love the Doors and Hendrix, man it would have been a tough decision. The Who, Donovan, Leonard Cohen, Miles Davis, wow what a choice.

(I know Lukester could not pass up on Mungo Jerry)

Re: If you had only one ticket for this festival, which show would you choose?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 07:10

The first one! What a line up! The Who in their prime, the Doors, Free, and SLY!

Would love to see Hendrix!!!!! But would go for the first one.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 18, 2008 09:38

i'd have to go for the first show too - and tickets so cheap! is that 3 pounds?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:19

3 pounds is for the whole weekend, i guess

Date: January 18, 2008 10:25

First show too if had to choose just one but Hendrix & Tull along with Baez and the Everly Bros....??? How'd they come up with that combo?
LSD?
LOL

smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:28

One without mud !

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: January 18, 2008 13:06

Or a hostile crowd!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 18, 2008 14:13

whitem8
The first one! What a line up! The Who in their prime, the Doors, Free, and SLY!

Not to mention the greatest jazz artist of all time....

Day 2 seems more folk-heavy

Last Uk appearances by both The Doors and Hendrix, I believe - apart from Jimi's jam session at Eric Burdon's show at Ronnie Scott's . I think Jimi only played 1 or 2 more shows after this one - he was dead less than 3 weeks later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 14:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:47

Basically, it comes down to Hendrix vs. the Who. I prefer the Who, but if I had known it was gonna be Hendrix's last gig, I'd have gone to see him.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 18, 2008 17:01

That's the original Isle of Wight Festival, at which Jimi Hendrix's appearance was reputedly a disappointment. Also, you might have had a little trouble getting to FOS:

Half a million fans, filling the valley for about a mile - this huge invasion was the event that caused the establishment to pass the Isle of Wight Act prohibiting any more festivals - it had to be repealed to allow the modern IOW Festival to be created. These days that valley is utterly deserted farmland - it's hard to believe it once looked like that!

Date: January 18, 2008 17:13

Green Lady
That's the original Isle of Wight Festival, at which Jimi Hendrix's appearance was reputedly a disappointment.

I have the Hendrix performance on DVD and yes as usual there were the feedback and tuning problems. However, I would not call it a disappointment. A smokin version of Machine Gun and Red House. I think he started to play after midnight at 2:00 am or something if I recall correctly.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 18, 2008 17:14

Green Lady
That's the original Isle of Wight Festival, at which Jimi Hendrix's appearance was reputedly a disappointment.

Just based on having seen the film, I'd have to say that Hendrix, on what was one of his worst nights, was still AS GOOD as the Who, on what was, perhaps, the best night of their entire career.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 18, 2008 18:49

tatters
Green Lady

Just based on having seen the film, I'd have to say that Hendrix, on what was one of his worst nights, was still AS GOOD as the Who, on what was, perhaps, the best night of their entire career.

I've enjoyed many performances that other people later claimed were below-par and disappointing - I can easily believe that Hendrix on an off-day was still wonderful. Nevertheless I'd choose to see the Who, and take the time-machine to some other Hendrix concert.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 18:50

Easy pic for me. 1st show. In additon to Doors and Who, 10 Years After. They never got enough credit for their ass-kickin show at Woodstock.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 18, 2008 19:01

Green Lady

First one was 1968 (jefferson Airplane headlined), then 1969 which featured Dylan and The Band as well as The Who. They used a different location each of the 3 years. the 1970 was the biggest, and longest (5 days!!) with what was (at the time) probably the biggest festival attendance ever (600,000 estimated) on a small island.

Imagine the queues for the ferry...

..and the bogs!

Date: January 18, 2008 21:11

Gazza,

I hope the farmer didn't plant potatoes after everyone left.

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: January 18, 2008 21:41

id take the second show because of jimi

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 18, 2008 21:49

I'd chose the first one, 'cause of Miles Davis. Saw him live once in 1986 but wasn't ready for it (I was only about 15 back then), so I'd like to see him again now that I love his music.

Used to be a Doors fan one and a half decade ago, seeing them live once would be a thill.

The Who with Moon and Entwistle would be the icing on the cake.

By the way: This is a fantasctic line-up, different genres, different styles - obviously these people had a broader view back then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home