Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: most talented artists who wasted their talent the most
Date: January 13, 2008 12:28

How about Mick and Keef? Have they wasted their song writing talents for the past 25+ years or so?
What was the last classic they wrote, Start me up?

They still perform great in concert, but I their songwriting talents have wasted away somewhat...

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 13, 2008 12:44

Did they WASTE it?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2008 16:23

bv
Is playing the blues on your own without makingt big money wasting your talent? If you don't make big money then you are wasting your talent? I would say that using your talent and making big success commercial wise is not connected at all. Is Bill Wyman wasting his talent? I don't think so. Are Michael Jackson and Britney Spears and Whitney Huston wasting their talents? Probably. It all depends what you want to do and what happens in real life. Elton John have done many strange things but he never wasted his talent. Mick Taylor wanted to play the blues so that is his talent and he does not waste it. If you want to hear him playing then he is still doing shows. Brian Jones is a long, complex and sad story...

Taylor has wasted his talent in the sense that he has not done as much with his talent as he could have. He sometimes does nothing at all with it for five or six years at a time. Elton John, you could make the case, is exactly the opposite. He wastes his talent in the sesne that he spreads it too thin, cranking out many albums in a short period of time. As good as some of those albums are, he would have made even better (albeit fewer) albums if he'd taken a little more time on them.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 13, 2008 17:29

Michael Jackson is the one who's probably reached the bottom.

Posted by: sater ()
Date: January 13, 2008 19:04

Axl Rose..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 13, 2008 19:12

NumberOneStonesFan
but it's more like they wasted their lives which in turn wasted their talents away...

That's how I read the question, maybe I misunderstood it ?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 13, 2008 20:15

Neil Young

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2008 20:21

Koen
NumberOneStonesFan
but it's more like they wasted their lives which in turn wasted their talents away...

That's how I read the question, maybe I misunderstood it ?

Yeah. It's not "Who was the most talented guy who died the youngest?" but maybe I should have phrased it "Who was the most talented guy who did the least with his talent or used his talent in the worst possible way?"

I think whoever said Elvis during the Hollywood years nailed it, with Rod in his disco phase ranking second. Some of the others, it's hard to say. Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder? Are they wasting their talent? Or did their talent simply desert them at some point?

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 13, 2008 20:37

What about a thread devoted to most wasted artists that were talented and then had minor success with oh I've got nothing here.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: January 13, 2008 20:45

Mozart.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 13, 2008 23:23

Grace Slick. Jefferson Airplane was so phenomenal it's hard to fathom how she could sink so low as to record such dreck as "We Built This City".

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 14, 2008 17:22

One name not mentioned here... Shannon Hoon, from Blind Melon... that guy was a great front man and song writer and he had so much more to give..

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 14, 2008 18:21

As a huge Bob Dylan fan , 1970-1973 and most of the Eighties were dreadful. Neil Young was pretty bad in the Eighties too. Obviously these two artists have done much to redeem any valleys in their careers but they certainly had some rough patches.

Posted by: Stones CAT ()
Date: January 14, 2008 19:04

AEROSMITH ...

Posted by: holycrap ()
Date: January 15, 2008 21:58

Chuck Berry was/is a genius a creator an inventor and when under control in a studio that can come out. But where he let down the fans is in his live shows. His hit and miss approach to live performances is a disappointment. Travelling with his piano player and using a local pickup band deprived the public of what could have been some magical moments.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 15, 2008 22:27

Did someone aleady say...
Michael Jackson ?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home