Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Goats Head Soup The Weakest 70's Album?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:06

Really just a matter of opinion but after listening to Goats Head Soup recently I have come to the conclusion that it is the weakest of the Rolling Stones 70's studio output. I love Angie, Heartbreaker and Dancing With Mr. D but the rest of the album is rather mediocre imo.

Clearly Exile, Sticky and Some Girls are far superior but I also think IORR and Black And Blue are better. Agree? Disagree?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-06 02:08 by FrankM.

Re: Goats Head Soup The Weakest 70's Album?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:08

Black and Blue. For an album of just eight songs, there's too many that are just OK at best. Would have been an excellent EP.

B&B has a much better SOUND than GHS which has the worst mix of any Stones album to that point, but the overall quality of the songs arent as good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-06 02:09 by Gazza.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:10

You think? I have always loved Black and Blue. Melody was the last Stones song I heard in 2007...nice way to say goodbye to the year.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:20

There's very mixed emotions about Goats Head Soup, even on this board - in the knowledgeable Rolling Stones society.
Apart from the "big 4", Goats Head Soup is my favourite RS album. Songs like Can You Hear The Music, 100 Years Ago, Coming Down Again and Winter are 10 stars IMO....what a terrific, wierd and laidback mood...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-06 02:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:41

No.

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:45

As this is my first time on board, let me say how many times the posts on this site have taught me something, or made me laugh. I hope I can add something to the party. I'm over fifty years of age, and I've been listening to the Stones since elementary school. I was just in the car with my eight year old son listening to "Goat's Head", for the first time in many years. A few things leapt out at me: 1]I never noticed how great the background vocals on "Mr D" are, particularly on the first verse. The scream, is also blood chilling. 2] It never dawned on the me that the "Mary" who sits on the gate with Mick was probably Ms. Faithfull. 3]How many of the songs seem to be about hiding away, failure, death, and missed chances. Hearing them now, it feels like the band was well aware that a golden age was ending. 4] Just as I skipped "Star *" when I was kid so my parents didn't hear the chorus, I skip it now so Ethan doesn't hear it. 5]I loved "Goat's Head" when it came out, and still do. A long time ago the Stones turned me around, and I've never wanted to go back.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:47

Great post, moosman!
Glad you're here.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:48

I would say it's IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL. It is the most mediocre, uninspired and repitative of their wonderful 70's stuff. The band sounds a bit tired and forced, and the album lacks a kind of own personality (like their post-STEEL WHEELS albums) For example, GOAT'S HEAD SOAP has its own unique relaxed, sophisticated (un-exiled) atmosphere, and BLACK & BLUE sounds fresh and original, with absolutely great soundscape. I used to considerd B&B and EMOTIONAL RESCUE their all-time low (too many dance tracks maybe), but those two albums are among my favourites nowadays. Very groovy albums!

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 6, 2008 02:52

Edith Grove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great post, moosman!
> Glad you're here.

Exactly my thoughts!

- Doxa

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:03

jabhead Wrote:
> No.

Great post. I have never actually owned Goats, but you have made me want to buy it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:03

Welcome moosman. Your never too old to rock & roll or talk about it.....As for GHS. I love it. For a long time I didn't think it was that good. Until I finally got around to buying it about a year ago and I loved it. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear how good and deep it was. Of course it also helps that I absolutley adore the song Winter. So that boosts the whole album for me. Their weakest of the 70's was probably B&B. A few really good tunes and a bunch of mediocre ones.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:04

I like GHS far better than either Black and Blue or IORR. I can tell some of GHS are leftovers from the Exile sessions - it has that unmistakable "feel." Neither of the other two albums have that ambiance. The highs on the other two are not as high, either. But this is just my opinion.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:05

Since Goats Head Soup is my all time favourite Stones record I'd have to say no. IMO IORR is their weakest 70's album, but that's still a great album.

Welcome on board, moosman!

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:12

i think black and blue and its only rock and roll are worse

Posted by: terry ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:17

i love goats head soup very underrated album love the production of it

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 6, 2008 03:23

No, the weakest one is Sucking in the 70s...
JR

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 6, 2008 04:58

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> . Songs like Can You Hear The
> Music, 100 Years Ago, Coming Down Again and Winter
> are 10 stars IMO....what a terrific, wierd and
> laidback mood...

_______ ditto

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 6, 2008 05:30

moosman Wrote:
> I was just in the car with my
> eight year old son listening to "Goat's Head", for
> the first time in many years.
> Just as I skipped "Star *" when I was kid so my
> parents didn't hear the chorus, I skip it now so
> Ethan doesn't hear it.

Welcome to the show. Don't be surprised if your son has not heard most of the hard language already from other kids at school and many of the hip-hop songs that the middle school kids listen to. Kids today are well versed in the language of adults. Most kids probably would not be able to decipher the mumbled lyrics anyways. Even today I can't understand half the stuff in that song.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 6, 2008 05:31

Great first post Mr. Moosman - where you're posting from?

Goats Head Soup for me was a fine, no - beautiful^^ album when it came out...
didn't know where they were going nor where they where pulling me...
just took the ride and enjoyed it ever since

lazy bones
ain't got no time to waste away

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: January 6, 2008 06:11

I have always loved this album. Sort of an exile part II. Dancing & Silver Train Great Songs. Also have always loved Winter. Hide your love with its jazz-type feel is yet another great song. I think the reason it has always gotten mixed reviews is the song order. Dancing & Coming Down again too much slow tempo, probably should have had Star Star or Heartbreaker open the album.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: January 6, 2008 06:50

I kinda think that a Tattoo You/Atlantic Crossing approach would have worked for Goat's Head Soup, and a few cuts that didn't make the album should have been on it.

Side 1
- Dancing with Mr. D
- Star Star
- Silver Train
- Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) . . . or is it (Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) Heartbreaker?
- Criss Cross
- 100 Years Ago

Side 2
- Angie
- Coming Down Again
- Can You Hear the Music?
- Through the Lonely Nights
- Hide Your Love
- Winter

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 6, 2008 06:57

what hurts GHS is the the way the album was mixed .

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 6, 2008 07:49

keef_nerd Wrote:
> i think black and blue and its only rock and roll
> are worse

me too, and i think B&B would rank last for me, sorry ronnie.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 6, 2008 07:58

its hard to say what their weakest album was in the 70s because although some are better than others, each one is so different and has something to offer.

Interesting thing about GHS is that although there is no reggea in it, the Jamacan vibe really seeps thruough in the music. Its also is a good fall or winter time album. good any time of year!

I never got into "Can You Hear the Music". I may one day, im not giving up all together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-06 07:59 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Gleb ()
Date: January 6, 2008 10:40

it is far far away from the worst 70s album, i just love that album, especially a 100 years ago for some reason

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 6, 2008 10:44

IORR is the weakest 70s Stones album. GHS is one of the stronger efforts.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 6, 2008 11:01

I think IORR is the weakest. Goats Head Soup "suffered", rep wise, because it was like the coming down after the wild party that was "Exile". It's a near masterpiece though.

Black & Blue has its weaknesses, but the bulk of its songs are great.

IORR - apart from the title track, Time Waits For No One and Fingerprint File is stuffed with throwaway songs or downright crap (Luxury is hideous).

Posted by: gia43 ()
Date: January 6, 2008 14:04

100 years ago is sucdh a great song, it makes me wanna listen to the whole album again and again! That doesn't mean that the rest of them are bad by the way!! To me, IORR is the weakest even though I like luxury.... and of course fingerprint file!! i also like if you can't rock me a lot.... the weird thing about IORR, to me, is that is sounds very staged.. Like they had planned out every single thing, no improvisation-at least that's the feeling I get. B&B on the other hand sounds like it's nothing but improv... which may make some tracks seem weaker and loose in structure but ,again to me, it adds a lot to the whole feel of the album!

Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: January 6, 2008 14:33

no, always loved that record. i also like the sound very much and prefer it by far to the exile sound.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 6, 2008 14:35

Im deeply in love with this album for years now!!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home