Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anyone watch the outdoor Hockey winter classic game on New Years Day?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 2, 2008 16:18

Anyone get a chance to see the game between the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins in the outdoor stadium? 73,000 fans attended the game that was televised around the world. Now a world record for attendance at a Hockey game.

Same venue the Stones played in 1975,1978,1981,1997. First outdoor game in the United States. Irish tenor Ronan Tynan sang "God Bless America" before the game.

Game ended in win for Pittsburgh in a shootout goal by Sidney Crosby.

Re: Anyone watch the outdoor Hockey winter classic game on New Years Day?
Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: January 2, 2008 16:47

Pretty interesting gimmick, let's face it, the NHL needs all the help it can get to get some eyeballs watching it. It brought some high-profile fun back to the game of hockey,hurrah for them.

Losing ESPN as a broadcast outlet and moving their games to a cable outlet no one ever heard of (and many can't receive) was nearly a mortal blow to the NHL. If they could get rid of the ugly, boring "trap" style of play that has plagued the league for the last decade or so, and return to the kind of hockey Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers once played, the game might have a chance of rebounding. But I won't hold my breath waiting.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 2, 2008 21:14

Yep, enjoyed it a lot, the snow was looking good too.
My teen's high school has a hockey team and we attend all games we can, much fun.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 2, 2008 23:00

Game was on Hockey Night In Canada so I'm sure alot of people here watched it. A great marketing idea by the NHL and the crowd was huge. They did this in Edmonton a few years ago and drew around 57,000. One thing they might think of for future outdoor games is don't schedule it on January 1, the same day as all the huge Bowl games in the States.
It would be awesome to see the Blackhawks do an outdoor game at Soldier Field. I hear the Canadiens are looking at hosting an outdoor game perhaps next year.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 2, 2008 23:44

Buffalos goalie wore a different toque in each period to be auctioned off for his foundation .

I was enjoying the game immensely it was now into the shootout when suddenly the cable went out .
I felt like Ralphie in " A Christmas Story " . Instead of his plight of No turkey sandwiches , no turkey soup , no turkey croquettes . I had to go without no more hockey games , no NCAA Bowl games and no internet !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-02 23:45 by boston2006.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 2, 2008 23:55

Yeah, the game was exciting, too.

The Stones concert there in '75 was historic. Isn't that the show in which they played 'Luxury?' A great concert.

Date: January 3, 2008 01:22

scaffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, the game was exciting, too.
>
> The Stones concert there in '75 was historic.
> Isn't that the show in which they played 'Luxury?'
> A great concert.

That was also played in 75 but back in June at Memorial Auditorium. The show played at the stadium in August was the last show of the American tour that year.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 3, 2008 02:29

Yeah I watched a lot of it in between Bowl games. It was fun to watch. I still can't beleive it took an outdoor game to draw 70,000 people. You Buffaloans are a hearty bunch. Either that or still drunk from New Years eve. But an exiting finish,which I'm sure the NHL loved. I agree the league needs to do something to boost their sport. Go Sharks!

Date: January 3, 2008 06:06

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah I watched a lot of it in between Bowl games.
> It was fun to watch. I still can't beleive it took
> an outdoor game to draw 70,000 people. You
> Buffaloans are a hearty bunch. Either that or
> still drunk from New Years eve. But an exiting
> finish,which I'm sure the NHL loved. I agree the
> league needs to do something to boost their sport.
> Go Sharks!

We love our hockey here in Buffalo. I forgot to tease you a little about the Sabres recent visit to the Shark tank. That was fun!!! Did you see the game?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 3, 2008 06:56

No I don't think so. But my Sharkies seem to play better on the road than at home...But let me take this opportunity to say once again. Thanks Boston for giving us Joe Thornton. The best hockey player in the game today(sidney crosby the heir apparent). But if they don't get past the second round this year,Ron Wilson is toast.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 3, 2008 16:05

I've been in Australia for over 30 years now so I've lost all touch with hockey. I'm stuck in the era of Dave Keon & Gordie Howe..he aims..he shoots..HE SCORES..ah Hockey Night in Canada. First saw the Stones in Maple Leaf Gardens in '72.

Date: January 3, 2008 16:20

Vox,

I'm sure you still remember Scotty Bowman. He lives in the suburbs of Buffalo with Harry Neale a close neighbor. I believe Marcel Dionne lives here too.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 3, 2008 16:32

Saw an old episode of "That 70's show" last night and one of the dudes had on the Stones "Tour of the Americas" t-shirt, sharp lookin'.

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: January 3, 2008 16:46

Max and Peters had a great game................yeah right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home