Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rate Stones piano players?
Posted by: micklips ()
Date: December 21, 2007 21:08

Stones have had a handful of great piano/keyboard players in the mix over the years - what did each one add to the sound at the time? I think there was Nicky Hopkins. . .Billy Preston. . . .Ian Stu?. . . .Chuck Leavell. . . .Others?

What were these guys' strengths/styles? - Billy=Gospel/Blues, Stu=more boogie woogie, Nicky=just the right 'touch'- grace notes?, Chuck=too much over the top?? or what??

Who was the best fit for the Stones then and why? (give example of a song) We've all seen footage of the boys sitting at the piano over the years - Any of the original Stones ever play piano/keyboard on any actual studio recordings?

you got to roll me. . . . .

Re: Rate Stones piano players?
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 21, 2007 22:03

Stu. Probably not technically the best but he WAS a Rolling Stone. I think he was also a 'guiding hand' on the Stones musically and as individuals in general.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-21 22:13 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 21, 2007 22:12

Niki gave the stones the most interesting piano sound on the 72 tour. but then theres stu.. he and mack were great together on 78 and 81 tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-21 22:18 by ryanpow.

Date: December 21, 2007 22:27

Give an example of each one of these piano player's signature song with the Stones - who played piano on Memory Motel for example. . . ??????? Angie, Shine a Light, Waiting on a Friend, Brown Sugar, Let's Spend The Night Together, Ruby Tuesday, Time Waits for No One, . . . .?? Keyboard on Hearbreaker?. . .others???

You got to roll me. . . . .

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 21, 2007 22:51

Nicky
Stu
Mac
Billy
Chuck

JR

Date: December 21, 2007 23:01

micklips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give an example of each one of these piano
> player's signature song with the Stones - who
> played piano on Memory Motel for example. . .
> ??????? Angie, Shine a Light, Waiting on a
> Friend, Brown Sugar, Let's Spend The Night
> Together, Ruby Tuesday, Time Waits for No One, . .
> . .?? Keyboard on Hearbreaker?. . .others???
>
> You got to roll me. . . . .

IMO I, don't know if people agree with this, but I consider Let It Bleed to be Stu's Signature song. Maybe some poeple would go for older stuff. But to me, this is his shining moment in the studio with the Stones. Short and Curlies would be an excellent choice too, but if you were to ask me Id go with LIB. He contributed his boogie style to the song that overall had a different sound than boogie, it was more country. Its just really cool the way it all came together.

Niki Hopkins' of course would be Sympathy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-21 23:09 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 21, 2007 23:16

stone-relics Wrote:
> Nicky
> Stu
> Mac
> Billy
> Chuck

John, that´s exactly my list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 00:26 by TooTough.

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: December 21, 2007 23:42

TooTough Wrote:
> stone-relics Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nicky
> > Stu
> > Mac
> > Billy
> > Chuck
>
> Johm, that´s exactly my list.

And mine !!! Nicky and Stu have my greatest respects, rip and keep on playing !

Date: December 21, 2007 23:43

Nicky
Billy (for the stones I would place him a bit further down on the list, but he was really a fantastic musician)
Mac
Stu

Chuck

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 21, 2007 23:50

Stu and Nicky Hopkins are the only two Stones pianists. The rest are Las Vegas geeks. Full stop.

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: December 21, 2007 23:50

Yes Billy was a fantastic musician, it's really true ! May be I forgot him a little, sorry Bill ! your solo in "I got the blues" is unforgettable !

I think Mac has more "the Stones style" but I don't believe that is better than Billy.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: December 22, 2007 00:08

Stu is it. love Stewed and Keefed. I also love the fact he refused to play minor chords. Nicky Hopkins is amazing, as is Mac.

Date: December 22, 2007 00:27

yeah, the piano on JJF was really cool in 78 and 81. and the boogie style piano on shattered too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 00:27 by ryanpow.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 22, 2007 01:18

Stu...there at the creation
Nicky Hopkins
Ian McLagan

then...
the others all have their strengths & weaknesses

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 22, 2007 01:27

Stu, Nicky and MacLagan were all fantastic.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 22, 2007 01:27

Stu did so much for the band and deserves all the praise in the world, but musically he didn't really fully connect with them. Nicky Hopkins however was THE man. Their 'return' in 1968 just wouldn't have had the same impact without him.

He was probably the greatest musician they had work with them. Technique, feel, versatility, Nicky had it all!

Stand out tracks? Everything he played on from 1967 onwards, but Beggars Banquet in particular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 01:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 22, 2007 01:30

1. Stu
2. Keith
3. Mick
4. All the others
5. Chuck (I'll never forget hearing before the last big tour how they planned to minimize Chuck. He's really a good player, but for me, he just doesnt fit in with the Stones - to much Mick -too much organization...)

Happy Holidays -

John

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: December 22, 2007 04:18

Stu and Nicky Hopkins...hands down

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:20

Stu
Nicky Hopkins
Ian McLagan
Billy Preston
Keith
Mick

Date: December 22, 2007 05:32

Actually, at least at the early US shows I attended during 2005 Chuck was way less obtrusive than he was on the Licks tour. The guitars definitely were upfront in the mix. (And thankfully no Matt Clifford after 1990).

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: December 22, 2007 09:43

we should start a petition and send it to the stones camp - no more chuck!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 19:12

Nicky Hopkins, Nicky Hopkins, Nicky Hopkins. There is no better stamp of quality on a Stones song than knowing Nicky Hopkins is a featured player.

Date: December 22, 2007 19:26

What albums was Nicky on? The Beggers, Let It Bleed, sessions? Was he around for Sticky too? 3 of the all-time greatest by the boys no doubt.

Re: Nicky Hopkins
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2007 19:36

from [www.timeisonourside.com]

NICKY HOPKINS (1944-1994)

Apart from Ian Stewart, if there's one outside artist whose contributions have been the most significant to the Stones' recordings, it's been pianist and keyboardist Nicky Hopkins. Born in London, Hopkins was hanging around the Alexis Korner scene at the same time as the Stones and other musicians. He joined Screaming Lord Sutch's Savages, before winding up as part of the Cyril Davies R&B All-Stars, a short-lived but exciting R&B band. In 1964, Hopkins was then enlisted by groups such as the Who and the Kinks to play on their early albums. By 1967, he had graduated to the Stones, who employed him for his services first on Between the Buttons, and then more substantially on Their Satanic Majesties Request. It was the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship. Already on the following album, Hopkins was gracing Stones songs like No Expectations with delicate, gorgeous piano playing.

Hopkins remained an integral part of the Stones' albums for all their subsequent albums up to (and including) Black and Blue in 1976. For most of that period, the Stones used Ian Stewart, Billy Preston and Hopkins on keyboards. Although the roles were by no means non-negotiable, usually Preston was employed on soulful, gospelly numbers where an organ was required, Stu played boogie-woogie on fast rock and roll numbers, and Hopkins played on the ballads. His playing graced songs like She's a Rainbow, You Got the Silver, Sway, Loving Cup and Time Waits for No One among many others. Hopkins also often played onstage with the Stones for the period from 1968 to 1973, starting with the Stones' rock and roll circus event, and then joining them for the 1970 European tour.

Though the Stones were the peak of Hopkins' career, he played with other artists as well during that span of time, including most notably the Beatles, Jeff Beck, the Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, the Steve Miller Band, Carly Simon, Joe Cocker, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. Significantly, he was also a member of the Jeff Beck Group starting in 1968, along with Rod Stewart and Ron Wood, though the group broke up in 1969. Mick Taylor played on a 1973 Nicky Hopkins solo album.

Hopkins' health problems were the reason for his not wanting to tour with the Stones anymore after the 1973 Australian tour and for the lessening of his work with them in general after 1974. Hopkins did not work on Some Girls. He did work in the late '70s recording with Rod Stewart, Eddie Money, Badfinger, as well as with Bill Wyman. He also appeared as a guest onstage with the Stones at an Anaheim show in 1978, with Bobby Keys.

The Stones rehired Hopkins for parts of Emotional Rescue, and it is likely that some of his playing appears on Tattoo You (possibly the piano on Waiting on a Friend, which was started in 1972). He also worked on Ron Wood's 1 2 3 4 solo album during that period. That marked the end of Hopkins's association with the Stones, however. Afterwards, he went on to play with artists as varied as Meat Loaf, Julio Iglesias, Belinda Carlisle, Paul McCartney, Graham Parker and Izzy Stradlin. He died of a stomach ailment and heart condition.

love & light, Nicky - thanks & praises, love & light

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 21:28 by with sssoul.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: December 22, 2007 20:27

Stu
Nicky
Mac
Billy

Chuck (not a pianist...)

Date: December 22, 2007 20:30

They are/where all great. Each helped take the band in new directions. I love how Chuck is last on all these lists. You may not like Chuck for whatever reason, however, the clown can tickle the ivories.

Date: December 22, 2007 20:36

Anybody doubts Ian Stewart's influence, unique talent, and importance just listen to him swing - lift the music on:
Down The Road Apiece
Around & Around
Time Is On My Side
Brown Sugar
Stop Breaking Down
Confessin The Blues
What A Shame
Miss Amanda Jones
Let It Bleed
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Black Limousine
Flight 505
from early '63 (when he was still a Stone) The IBC Sessions
'Boogie With Stu' (Led Zeppelin)
'Woody's Thing' (Ron Wood & Ronnie Lane)
"Handsome Girls"

Date: December 22, 2007 20:42

Indeed, Stu was more than a piano player.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 22, 2007 20:58

micklips Wrote:
> Give an example of each one of these piano
> player's signature song with the Stones - who
> played piano on Memory Motel for example. . .
> ???????

Those well-known ivory-tinklers Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.....!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 23, 2007 03:30

jack nitsche should be somewhere on this list as well for his piano contributions as well as arrangements and setting a lot of the vibe for the boyz when they wanted to record in the states...and to great great results...
personally,
i'm solidly in the stu/nicky camp; then mac/preston; i liked the VL album quite a bit and i think chuck's making some major contributions there but he's never been quite my kinda stonsey, rollin' boogie-woogie guy as a piano man.

i mean stu just exploded; the guy was utterly explosive, a miracle of passion unleashed; POWWWW!! whoa and ain't we got the boots that proves it??
and nicky, so delicate and melodic; as well as direct...nobody's gonna touch those two really; considering all the studio AND tour work...but say a prayer for jack nitsche as well, as piano and arranger.

mac's HG work is breath-taking; and mac's still amongst us, thank goodness...MERRY CHRISTMAS MAC!!! rip dear stu, nicky, billy preston and jack nitsche.

hey, were there times nicky and stu were playing together on those tours?? on certain songs???
or was nicky kinda just trading off with stu on the fast hard ones?
anyone know? they was in the shadows at the gigs that i saw and i was watching the 5 magicians up front.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home