Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones gigs 1962-1965 - Tell us a story
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 6, 2007 17:11

Would like to know if anybody here was present at some early gig, in the period 62-65 and can share his experience, what he remembers, how was the atmosphere pre-show, organization, the audience, whatever.
It could be interesting to read it and evenctually find out some curiosity related to a particular show. Anybody has been so lucky to see Stu on stage in early 63? or the NME Pollwinners or the Mod Balls?
Hoping I'm not the only one interested.

Re: Stones gigs 1962-1965 - Tell us a story
Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 6, 2007 17:46

I saw the Stones in Tulsa in the fall of 1965. They opened with Everybody Needs Somebody and ran through their early repitour for about 30 minutes. Keith wore a sports coat, they all had Beatle boots. Charlie came out front to announce a song. I saw them the next summer and their style had drastically changed. Jagger wore white patton leather slip-ons and had short hair. Brian wore his stripped suit, I think. There were about 5,000 people in an 15,000 seat arena. They did Mother's Helper, Paint it black ect. I kinda felt they had gone commercial, away from R+B, but it was mainly Jagger's shoes that I didn't like. They were like a rich man's. Now I realize he was copying the Miracles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-06 17:48 by keithfan64.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: December 6, 2007 17:57

Wow, you were there. Must be a cherished memory for you. How many tours have you seen?

Date: December 6, 2007 18:05

Tks Keithfan, Tulsa was November 23, 1965. The 4th US Tour is supposed to have this setlist: Everybody needs somebody to love - Play with fire - Mercy mercy - Around and around - The last time - That's how strong my love is - Get off of my cloud - I'm alright - Satisfaction. I think Charlie introduced I'm alright and think the program was the LP size one with headline Rolling Stones '65 and David Bailey picture on front.

Was open air or indoor show? Did you get any picture or found some on the web, or any paper report?
Which shows did you see in 1966?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-06 18:24 by straycat58.

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: December 6, 2007 18:20

^ Great thread

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 6, 2007 19:27

The Tulsa '65 and St. Louis '66 were both in arenas. I saw them in 65, 66, 69, 72, 75, 78, 81, 89, BTB payper view 97 in St. Louis, and 2006.
IMO '78 in a stadium in Boulder was the best.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-06 19:52 by keithfan64.

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: December 6, 2007 19:36

keith fan 64 is the man

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 6, 2007 19:36

I remember that I could not afford the 6 bucks to see'em when they rolled thru Nashville in late'65, dang it.

Date: December 6, 2007 20:18

What do you both remember of the 65 tour? there was some expectations? They were promoting the December's Children LP and I guess they had problems in the opening gig with the riots in Montreal. Charlie was stolen one drum and Keith was about to loose a guitar. I suppose Patti Labelle and Rockin' Ramrods were on the bill.
I read that Brian played the organ in That's how strong...

Posted by: discreetrocker ()
Date: December 6, 2007 21:24

Saw the Stones in Ottawa Canada April 1965.Ticket cost about $4 as I remember.My buddy and I went backstage before the boys came on.In those days it was prettey easy getting back there. The Stones 3 cadillacs were there, they drove in from Montreal the night before.There were girls writing their phone numbers in lipstick and soap on the windows.There was one securuty guard who told us to get lost.We went back to the front of the stage just before they werer introduced.A they cam by I grabbed Brian Jones hair and Mick by the shoulder .It was absolut bedlam in the arena YMCA arena with about 5,000 people. The power went out twice as there were dozens of screaming girls being thrown from the stage.it was pure pandemonium a riot at that.IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE the raw atmoshere and electricity. During the fourth song I think my buddy and I grabbed Bill Wyman but the leg and almost pulled him off stage before a cop kicked us in the arm.There was screaming,crying, shouting, yelling, dope, music,The Stones not more than three feet in front of us! The stage was sagging under the weight of all the cops,kids, riot on stage. The boys were into their 6th or 7th song, dropped their gear and ran for their lives before the stage was swarmed over.WHAT A GREAT INTRO to the Stones.I re-love that show over and over agin. I have seen them 27 times since from Vancouver to Amsterdam.Nothing compares to seeing them in the 60's-NOTHING To see them in the early days and still today is a blessing.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 6, 2007 21:32

stewed & Keefed over on the Rocks Off board saw them at the Rochester Odeon in 1963.

I wouldn't of thought there are too many here who saw them that early.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: December 6, 2007 22:44

I am reading Wyman's book...so this thread is great...what an experience it must have been to see them at this time in their careers.

What was the build-up to the show? Was it the buzz of the town...or did only the "kids" know about the Stones?

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: December 7, 2007 01:25

thats the problem with these messageboards, they allow the likes of discreetrocker to make up b******t and pass it off as a true experience.

Believe this, believe anything.................

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: December 7, 2007 01:52

...ouch!!! Tell me a pig can fly and address me as Mr. Gullible, but why should I doubt discreet's account?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 7, 2007 10:18

>> Ottawa Canada April 1965.Ticket cost about $4 as I remember. <<

nzentgraf.de has a ticket from that show: it was april 24th,
and floor seats were $3 (three dollars). tax included :E

Date: December 7, 2007 12:13

Sources (Bill W.) report that Ottawa was April 24. The band lodged at the Chateau Laurier Hotel and were interviewed fron the local TV for the program Saturday Date. The gig at the YMCA Auditorium went 'thru with 30 policemen on the stage and the power was cut off 6 times trying to re-establish calm and order to the crowd. Found out also the name of the promoter: Harvey Glatt. In the book Good times Bad times is reported that the show ended with 50 policemen building a cordon in fron of the stage and was impossible to see the guys on stage.

Discreetrocker, do you remember something of the setlist? According to sources, the setlist of the 3rd US Tour included: I'm alright, The last time, I wanna be your man, Not fade away, Time is on my side, Little red rooster, Off the hook, Everybody needs somebody to love, Around and around. But I have doubts about I wanna be your man played live in 1965!!

Anybody has traced the Saturday Date TV show or has information about the content of this program?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-07 12:32 by straycat58.

Date: December 7, 2007 18:08

any UK or european gig?

Date: December 7, 2007 20:30

I worked w/a guy who saw them in Minneapolis in '64 or '65 at some State County Fair or something. He said nobody knew who they were. Yes, this is a great thread!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 7, 2007 21:27

The taxi driver that took me back to the Eurostar after the 1st Twick last year had seen them all over the 60s. He prefered them to the Beatles and stopped going to shows after Brian was replaced.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 7, 2007 22:18

ERC6761 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thats the problem with these messageboards, they
> allow the likes of discreetrocker to make up
> b******t and pass it off as a true experience.
>
> Believe this, believe anything.................

Do a search and check his previous posts and you'll see he's been pretty consistent in mentioning seeing the Stones that far back.

Perfectly believable.

Date: December 8, 2007 10:46

Apart the fact that this Ottawa story is 100% confirmed by the books: it was a pandemonium same as described by discreetrocker. So, why we should doubt about it?

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 8, 2007 18:05

Gwen,

Thanks for sharing that story. I kind of like that taxi driver already. Makes me wonder how many other folks there are like that and they would never show up here...

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2007 18:27

taxi drivers get around! i know a taxi driver who was at one of the 1967 Warsaw shows -
which doesn't fit the timeframe specified for this thread, but it's still worth a mention.
the cat lights up just beautiful whenever he talks about being at that show - hail hail Rolling Stones :E

Date: December 8, 2007 19:09

Imagine that this year I spent my holydays with the family in UK, 'cause I went to see the three O2 shows. The week before I had rented a house in Cornwall in a small place called Appledore. When I got in the house I saw lot of Stones pictures hanged (or hung?) at the wall! I realized I probably reached the only stonefan existing in Appledore!
To make it shorter: the landlord was a 58-60 years fan, had lot of stuff in his house and he told me he saw the stones at the Royal Albert Hall in 1964; very nice person, he borrowed me a couple of Genesis Pub. books to give me something interesting to read during my staying. He went to see the O2 shows as well.
Small world. Who knows? maybe he reads this post and can tell us something about the Royal Albert Hall show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-08 19:10 by straycat58.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home