Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Latest craze -Reunion Tours (not the 'Stones'_
Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: December 4, 2007 00:24

The U.K./USA is going thru a bring back any band from the 70's/80's/90's reunion tour faze.
Reunion tours such as Duran Duran,Spice Girls,Boyzone,Police are making big money for the promoters and the bands.
This is a new fad as they are all well past their sell by date but fans who grew up with them are happy to pay to see them again.
The promoters are wheeling out above named acts who had a very short lifespan and perhaps 3/4 hit records per named band .
This is obviously nostalga as these bands don't sell many records anymore,in fact they had been forgotten about but promoters have done an excellent marketing job in selling them to the people.
The 'Stones' often come under a lot of critism for living off their most creative song writing period 1964-1978.
It is always overlooked at the volume of excellent songs the 'Stones' played and wrote during that period - at least 30/40 - perhaps more.
In many respects the 'Stones' are victims of their own high standards of song writing and world tours with songs from 1980 onwards not having the same impact as the golden period.
Anyway when you compare the above reunion bands output with the 'Stones' there is no contest .
We should be grateful that they have continued to ply their trade over the last 45 years when it would have been easier to retire and live in the sun.

Re: Latest craze -Reunion Tours (not the 'Stones'_
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 4, 2007 00:31

It's better than playing an "Oldie Night", isn't it? I mean, can you imagine the Spice Girls, Shakira and Take That playing an oldie night in, say, ten years time?
Probably not. But East 17, The Real McCoy and Boyz 2 Men might well be in that league of popularity by now.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 4, 2007 02:40

stones40 wrote:
"with songs from 1980 onwards not having the same impact"

People are sniffy. They don`t buy their recent records, but they won`t say "nay" when the band of their youth comes to town and play their greatest hits.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 4, 2007 08:55

The 1970's and 80's Canadian rock trio TRIUMPH seemed to have settled their differences and are exploring the idea of touring. The funny thing is that the main member Rik Emmett (who was basically banished from the band and signed away all future royalties in 87) admits that they had only have 5 popular songs and how do you make a comeback 20 yrs later on that. He's been performing and recording eversince, the other 2 members have not and that concerns him, but he seems up to the challenge.

They drew respectable sized arena audiences during their peek. I think they would do decent business today in theaters if packaged properly.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 4, 2007 12:05

I am waiting for Van Halen to show up in Europe and of course Led Zep to do a real tour as rumoured

A Guns N Roses reunion with AXL, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt Sorum would be great too (No offense to Gilby Clarke)

In France, I hope that Telephone will make a tour. The guys seem ready to play together, Corinne is apparently the problem (as before)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-04 12:12 by Doc.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 4, 2007 13:04

noughties Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> stones40 wrote:
> "with songs from 1980 onwards not having the same
> impact"
>
> People are sniffy. They don`t buy their recent
> records, but they won`t say "nay" when the band of
> their youth comes to town and play their greatest
> hits.

What do you mean? It is perfectly normal that each generation has its own idols. In a way the Stones are also an oldies band (even if there's lots of oldies they play and even if they play competently). Let's face it, they have a very limited impact on today's music scene which has drastically changed since the 1960s & 1970s. The runthrough concerts in Europe 2006 were basically an oldies act.

Date: December 4, 2007 13:25

The topic's title is Reunion

That mean that the band had a carrer, then split and now reunites.
A recent band cannot reunite. So yes reunions are in a way "oldies" acts.
Real oldies (bands from the 60ies), or more recent oldies (bands from the 90ies)

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 4, 2007 16:24

saltoftheearth wrote:
"What do you mean? It is perfectly normal that..."

I mean what I mean, which is contrary to your opinion.

Why do they stop buying their albums when The Stones don`t stop releasing new albums? The fact that The Stones still do this, proves that they`re not an, well, at least, not an "has been" act.

I have often wondered what people think of me when I show excitement at a concert when a new song comes along.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: December 4, 2007 16:29

Herman's Hermits...anyone remember them.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 4, 2007 18:02

There's a band called telephone?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 4, 2007 18:11

ablett Wrote:
> There's a band called telephone?

yeah- they're rubbish
last time i saw them in concert, they phoned it in.

Date: December 4, 2007 18:43

Now that people like me, who were teenagers in the 80's now are grown up and have money. and they are cashing in that.
and another thing is so much time has gone by and the bands who broke up, have settled differences and such.

i believe the only band to do the reunion thing the right way was KISS.
All members were oringinal, they only played the songs from thier time and the stage show was almost like 1977.
now i can't say that about them now, since they are pretty much a tribute to themselves.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 4, 2007 18:58

I would only see Led Zeppelin in a stadium if it was packaged with Van Halen, that would justify a $300 ticket.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 4, 2007 19:01

I went and saw The Police, and it was incredible.
The musical quality and talent level were both at a stunning level.
I can't imagine The Police in their heyday showing anymore talent than they just did in 2007.

I agree with the first post in that when you compare the reunion bands output with the 'Stones' there is no contest. The Police have not recorded a new song in 24 years. The posters at the show were all of the 'young' Police. The T-shirts all showed pictures taken from the 70's and 80's. There is no output from this band at all. Only the tourbook showed a recent picture but even it was filled with the early shots. This proves it is in fact a nostalgia cash-in tour....damn it sounded good though.

The Stones inject nostalgia into each show by busting out an 'oldie' here and there, but overall the product is the live experience and not a 'hey remember this one' slideshow.

Date: December 4, 2007 19:12

Yes, there's a band called Telephone.
They even opened for the Stones in Paris in 82 and Jean-Louis Aubert, the singer, opened as a solo artist for the Stones in Paris in 98.

The Police had really contrasted reviews. In my entourage (not Stones fans) 1 was really happy, 2 said it was just OK, 2 were disapointed.
Nevertheless, they will be back in Europe next summer, and I still won't go.

Can't wait for Led Zep and Van Halen
AC/DC and Metallica are also supposed to be back on tour in 2008 ( not reunions, but we've been waiting quite a while)
Iron Maiden will play the Nostalgia card once again with their tour

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 4, 2007 19:16

Munichhilton Wrote:
> I went and saw The Police, and it was incredible.
> The musical quality and talent level were both at
> a stunning level.
> I can't imagine The Police in their heyday showing
> anymore talent than they just did in 2007.

I saw the Police recently in Atlanta. It was a first-rate show.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 4, 2007 19:37

Shawn20 Wrote:
> Munichhilton Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I went and saw The Police, and it was
> incredible.
> > The musical quality and talent level were both
> at
> > a stunning level.
> > I can't imagine The Police in their heyday
> showing
> > anymore talent than they just did in 2007.
>
>
> I saw the Police recently in Atlanta. It was a
> first-rate show.

I agree...I was at Dallas and San Antonio.
Both highly enjoyable although I felt there was more 'Jamming' on the first leg than this second leg.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 5, 2007 22:22

Doc Wrote:
> Yes, there's a band called Telephone.
> They even opened for the Stones in Paris in 82 and
> Jean-Louis Aubert, the singer, opened as a solo
> artist for the Stones in Paris in 98.
>
> The Police had really contrasted reviews. In my
> entourage (not Stones fans) 1 was really happy, 2
> said it was just OK, 2 were disapointed.
> Nevertheless, they will be back in Europe next
> summer, and I still won't go.
>
> Can't wait for Led Zep and Van Halen
> AC/DC and Metallica are also supposed to be back
> on tour in 2008 ( not reunions, but we've been
> waiting quite a while)
> Iron Maiden will play the Nostalgia card once
> again with their tour

Iron Maiden is looking up to be the best nostalgia tour of 2008.

The only reunions I am interested in are the bands that broke up because they couldn't sell records anyway. The bands that did sell a lot, it's not a matter of "if" but "when."

Grotus and Ethyl Meatplow are the 2 reunions I want to see the most!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home