Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Guns n' Roses live at the Ritz dvd
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 29, 2007 16:56

There are many clips of this Guns n' Roses show on Youtube and they are on fire. Right in their prime and rockin the place with an attitude. Surprised this dvd has not been given an official release.

Does anyone know where to pick up this dvd and if there are any similar ones out there recorded professional catching a band in its peak.. Love to see something similar with some other bands from the 80s/90s like Soundgarden, Nirvana and others..

Re: OT: Guns n' Roses live at the Ritz dvd
Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: November 29, 2007 17:30

Unfortunately there's never been a full edition of that concert on DVD.
I do have a copy straight out of a Betamax tape I got from a friend of mine that used to work at MTV.
A great show, even though if you read Slash's autobiography, it gets described by him as a pretty average one compared to some of the shows they were playing at the time.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 29, 2007 19:42

i'd love to have a good copy....
rock n roll at its very best. so raw, so wild. all of them on fire!
elegantly wasted!
one of the wildest and most energetic liveshows in history of rock!!!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 29, 2007 20:23

"one of the wildest and most energetic liveshows in history of rock!!!"

I definitely agree on this one. The uncencored version of Ritz is absolutely brilliant and
I'd have to say that Guns n'Roses was one of the best live bands EVER in the late 80's.
I'm still pissed off this very day that they totally blew it afterwards.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2007 20:33

@#$%& (axel) rose killed the band.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 29, 2007 21:41

Just popped in Appettite for Destruction recently and its great, which made me dig around Youtube to watch some vids.. one thing with Guns n' Roses, they seem to become a parody of themselves rather quickly. Makes you realize how impressive it was for the Stones to stick around and change with the times, at least it took about 10 years for some to say this about the Stones. But this is why I want to seek and find this Ritz dvd rather than get the ones offically released.

Amazing that some of the great bands from the early 90s don't have any live dvds out there.. like Janes Addiction or Soundgarden, it even took Nirvana over 10 years to release Unplugged.

And I agree Axl is an ass.. does he have an outburst at every show??

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 29, 2007 23:23

yes axl rose destroyed the band

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 30, 2007 02:57

Has The Chinese Democracy Tour CD been released yet...Anyday now right.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 30, 2007 03:43

axl rose has been working on the chinese democracy album for ten yrs now and will still will be working on it 10 yrs from now

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: November 30, 2007 05:21

I've got a cd from thatshow. What a live performance of the original gang. How come MTV does not air that thing? What I would give to go back in '88. I saw them in '89 w/Stones in LA and that was quite a double bill. The energy of that show was amazing. Where are those days?

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: November 30, 2007 08:29

.... that was a good show. and when they came around again, wheww . .
.. they learned a lot from the stones and used it well,,, a real rock and roll band, peeked then crash'd, splatter'd in pieces,, anyone seen duff around lately?

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: November 30, 2007 11:43

Go check this book [www.recklessroad.com] by Marc Canter, a guy that's been around the band since day one and also check this video on YouTube:

about the book.
I got two copies for Xmas and I can't wait to have it popping up in my mailbox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 11:46 by dunhill.

Posted by: Mr Rupert ()
Date: November 30, 2007 13:06

Houndog,

You shold be able to pick up this DVD from a certain well known internet auction site - that's where I got mine.

I haven't seen other professionally recorded shows from that era on there - they tend to be privately recorded, either from earlier of the ...Illusion tours.

Having said that, there's a disc of a show that was recorded at an outdoor venue in / near Paris from the Illusion tour whoch is pretty good. You get various special guests including Lenny Kravitz (not my thing, but to each their own) and Messrs Tyler / Perry.

It's a little late in the day as they have Gilby and all the backing singers / horn section with them etc, but it's still a better show than anything that 'Axl N' His Sidemen' have played recently...

Mr Rupert

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 30, 2007 13:10

G'N'R live at the Ritz in '88 is definitely one of THE best rock'n'roll shows I've ever seen, so, raw, so raucous, visceral stuff.

From a historical point of view, there is an even better one to get. Okay, the quality isn't as good as the Pro-Shot Ritz show, but, the video from January 1986 at the Roxy in Hollywood is G'N'R and rock'n'roll history!

The band captured Live - full show - the Gunners in that early '86 glam-look phase, barely 6 months after they started, and possibly before they were signed, yet all the songs were already there. Most of 'Appetite' is played, one of two songs have a different ending, even two or three that later appeared on the 'Illusion' albums. Plus of course the covers they did in those days - 'Heartbreak Hotel', 'Jumping Jack Flash' & Aerosmith's 'Mama Kin'. The Gunners' 'Shadow of your Love' is also played.

Australis '88 and another from '88 or '89 is also doing the rounds.

Some of the songs from that January '86 one are up on YouTube, bloody great stuff! Like discovering a video of the stones' in the Station Hotel.

Plenty available from the 'Illusion' tours -- Paris '92, a whole brace of others, plus a great one from '91, before they got the backing singers in, and of course the famous 'Riot Show' in St. Louis '92, full show, all Pro-Shot, well worth seeking out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 13:16 by IrelandCalling4.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home