Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Magic of Handsome Girls,
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 29, 2007 18:41

Please, people. Lets discuss this calmly over BBQ and drinks. Chris can pick up the tab!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 29, 2007 18:47

SSSoul... YT has already been discussed. I ASKED YOU IF IT WAS LEGAL. REMEMBER??? ...this no way for a forum to operate. However, for you to equate me browsing You Tube versus pirating manufactured recordings without the musicians consent is wrong. Your move is deliberate. What in the hell is wrong with you?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 29, 2007 18:48

very complex issues, indeed...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 29, 2007 19:00

mercy: you asked if there are youtube clips from Handsome Girls. i let you know it's an audio bootleg,
which means youtube is not a place to go looking for it: it's not a dvd, nor an official album
with promo videos connected with it. that's not a "move" or an accusation, it's just the facts;
and no one "[equated you] browsing You Tube" with anything at all -
you're the only one who seems to have a problem with it.
if you want to go off and investigate the legal status of uploads to youtube, go right ahead.
if you'd rather walk the streets, that's fine with me too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 00:21 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 29, 2007 19:14

it's not a dvd, nor an official album
with promo videos connected with it. that's not "a move" or an accusation, it's just the facts.

nor an official album nor an official album nor an official album nor an official album

You know what, I feel no remorse for you Theif. I know everyone in this room will say "Oh Chris why were you so tough on sssoul?" You know what ..i don't care... If you are around me and steal anything ...you will pay

Date: November 29, 2007 19:19

good - so now that we have that settled, everyone else can enjoy Handsome Girls in peace. :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 08:18 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 30, 2007 07:39

I have to say that I find this whole discussion a bit confusing. A complex issue alright, as our friend Mr. Snow says. I really don't understand why with sssoul, one of the most well liked and respected members of this board, is being attacked. I mean, I've read the conversation. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If a person is against bootleg recordings then they don't have to listen to them right??? I'm sure those people are in the minority however as I feel comfortable saying that probably 98% of IORR members own at least one bootleg recording. Is that even what you all are talking about?

Nevermind. I'd rather not join the fight.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 30, 2007 09:11

This is a photo of a guy who has stockpiled a tons of bootlegs of LZ at bootleg heaven in Tokyo.
Bootlegs sometimes have historic value even for artists.

Date: November 30, 2007 09:17

>> Is that even what you all are talking about? Nevermind. I'd rather not join the fight. <<

smile: what you've read is the sound of one person fighting.
i'm not sure why i got chosen to represent the whole set of Handsome Girls owners -
but you other HG owners now owe me a beer for my service as a decoy. :E
i'm also not sure what caused the Fountain character to go into attack mode –
some kind of cognitive dissonance, i reckon. not a pretty sight - but cognitive dissonance is like that.
anyway as i said: if my acting as a decoy means everyone else can now enjoy Handsome Girls in peace ... good!

anyway thanks for the encouraging words; oh and scottkeef:
>> BBQ and drinks <<
smile: now that's a complex issue!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 23:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 30, 2007 09:47

I will take the blame for putting some gasoline on the smouldering fire. I am sorry With Sssoul, that the flames were coming your way. Must say you did a wonderful job to get through the fire and indeed, I was out for a while enjoying myself.

What is still puzzling me is the question whether I am doing any harm to the Stones while listening to a recording like Handsome girls? But since this discussion seems to bring up nasty remarks I guess we better give it a rest.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 30, 2007 10:19

...Most folks around here need feel no guilt whatsoever about purchasing and owning boots.
Many of them have bought just about every bit of "official" material ever released. They aren't buying boots as a cheap alternative to the official releases and thus depriving the artist of income. They're buying additional stuff that the artist didn't see fit to release for commercial purposes !

OK, that doesn't address the remaining issues of legality...but the ethical issue is the one I'd put first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 15:25 by Spud.

Date: November 30, 2007 10:39

<nor an official album nor an official album nor an official album nor an official album>

An important part of Handsome Girls (The Detroit show - the link below) is officially free to listen to in its entirety at Wolfgang's Vault. FREE, and owned by the buyers of Bill Graham's estate.

You gotta remember that this recording is not owned by The Stones, even though they created and performed the music.

[concerts.wolfgangsvault.com]

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 30, 2007 10:49

I understand the love for this boot...i dont understand the attack on lady SSoul...cause everybody knws...she is one of a kind

Date: November 30, 2007 11:12

well ... each of us draws the ethical line somewhere, and it can sometimes surprise us
to see where other folks draw their lines. my stance on these issues is real clear to me,
but i know it can seem goofy to some people, so i (mostly!) got over trying to impose it
on anyone but myself, or attacking people who draw their lines elsewhere.
for example it might surprise me that someone could be vehemently opposed to owning bootlegs
and at the same time feel it's fine to upload bootleg stuff to youtube,
but i wouldn't attack anyone for being goofy that way. getting aggressive about it isn't cool,
but they have a right to be goofy.

Date: November 30, 2007 11:56

Maybe even the line between discussing a point of view and attacking someone is drawn at different places by different people? I don't know,

I think it is a great aspect of a discussion forum to mirror ones own ethics to the ethics of others. I think this a tradition that goes back as far as the ancient Greeks. And we know they did not mind to call each other "goofy" (or any related term) if it served the purpose of the discussion.

Date: November 30, 2007 12:26

Yes, all of us owe you a beer, with Sssoul - for keeping up with the Chris Fountain of Insanity

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 30, 2007 12:35

we out there havin a party and she fighting on the front!! kuddos!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 30, 2007 12:59

boy it's majestic stuff...it's just so powerful; these days i much prefer it, (and some other good live boots) to almost anything else in the catalog, because it is so vivid and raw and seamless...this is truly weaving without the hype it sometimes engenders...it's really exciting music...i would have missed this period and this gem completely w/o special friends from this forum...
it's one of my most important stones recording ever...

mick is full out screaming all the way thru everything on say, side 3...; but in this fierce, tuneful, loose raw rocking way...the rhythm section is outrageous; ron is so good; both guitars just so good; so raw...so brilliant, something always percolating; it's a living thing, hissing like a double headed snake and biting and growling like a bear and it's serious rock and roll; they are putting out period. it's VERY live and loose and moving and well, grooving...

...the setlist is crazy good and whips you around real good...ron's all down the line is a joy to hear...as much as i will always love taylor, this is a great guitar band right here...truly great. glad to say it. feel lucky to have it. good stereo seperation and sound too...

i think in the wake of the pistols and other groups our boyz went out there with a bit of the 'oh yeah punk this' or something, but that's just a guess on my part...but i know, despite my unending admiration and appreciation and excitement for say, "'bollocks' album"...that these are the guys proving that they rock it raw, hard, loud and loose and nobody's gonna beat them at the rock game, ever...kinda tude or something...the band sounds so wonderful...can't say enough about the guitars...both of them...ron and keith were really totally in synch here...this is astounding...it would have been criminal had this been lost to the fans and people who love rock and roll and the Stones...

they'd slick it up or dub it up or squish it to death or clean it up when it's charm is how dirty it is...maybe it's good they've just ignored it for thirty years, cause i don't want a slick, or 'fixed' version of this stuff...

a little bass boost and you can see bill's on the job 110%...
yeh, magical stuff...sublime...effin sublime...thanks to my friend who opened my eyes about the '78 stuff...HG is brilliant.
they are effin CRAZY not to just release this stuff as is...it's an imporant historical artifact, and it rocks like effin crazy and rolls beautifully and ferociously...they are all loose as a goose...bill is doing some astounding stuff way up high; they are just crazy going for it, and getting there too;

i mean it seriously rocks it's ass off and rules the roost; smashing hard beautiful rolling boogie...great songs. great unique performances. love it. proud to have it; proud to turn people on to it as it was shared with me...it's beyond good, it's historically very important rock music imo.
very good medicine. good to be able to have this great stuff, enjoy it, and share it...very good medicine...

Date: November 30, 2007 13:23

LOL, now don't tell me there are readers of Beelyboy's post that still think : Nah, I don't want to hear Handsome girls, because it's a bootleg! Big thumbs up for your enthusiasm.
It's just that the Live in Perth 1973 evening show is blasting out of my speakers at the moment, otherwise I would have put on the 1978 shows right now. Still smiling.

Date: November 30, 2007 13:36

Great description Beelyboy; glad you liked Handsome Girls ;-]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-30 14:26 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: November 30, 2007 13:53

Who hid the medication from Chris, please give it back to him, he needs it.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: November 30, 2007 13:59

Hey Chris, are you a friend of Lord Sinclairs?

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: November 30, 2007 14:05

Nah , Danny Wilde

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: November 30, 2007 14:34

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Chris Fountain of Insanity

Quote of the day!

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: November 30, 2007 14:43

Shit! You guys made me spend $80 now. This thing better be as good as you say it is.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 30, 2007 14:51

The music and shows of 1978 are pure rock and roll!! Keith played fast and mean and the sound of his guitars is perfect. Physically, he is still a little static compare to 1981. Mick sang like a punk rocker(Star Star,All down the line).The whole band was pretty good
Rock and roll
Mops

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 30, 2007 15:05

Eirik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shit! You guys made me spend $80 now. This thing
> better be as good as you say it is.

Believe me, it is!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home