Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Bored... and Freezing
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 17, 2007 07:39

I was going to call this thread "The Revenge of the Football (European), Football (American), Soccer, Baseball, Hockey, Rugby, Hurling and Football (Canadian) Sufferers" but the server has already crashed once this week and Uncle BV would be annoyed...

But it's getting really cold up here, and nothing much else is going on, so this is the weekend to cook.

Yep - a Recipe Thread. Anyone who posted even one sports comment this year can get stuffed! (In both senses!)

I've got a massive pot of chili on the stove and a kitchen full of stuff that will keep me busy for the next 2 days. For the record... I will NOT be barefoot.

So, with holidays coming up, and since y'all are likely bored too, here's the first sneak peek into La Cuisine d'STG. Got your antacids? Good... wash your hands!

Bobby Keys Texas Slaughter Hot Pepper Jelly
(Of course it's gonna be Stones related, silly!)

Ingredients:

1 cup (250 ml) processed sweet red (aka capsicum) peppers
8 - 10 hot red peppers - like the ones below, or pick your own weapon
1 1/4 cups (approx 325 ml) cider vinegar
6 cups (1500 ml) white sugar
170 ml liquid pectin (North America - 2 pouches Certo)
2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice

Preparation:

This recipe makes about 6 cups, so you might as well start by doubling it.
Wash and sterilize 12 250 ml or 1 cup mason jars / jam jars. Keep warm.

Wash, seed and coarsely chop the sweet peppers.

Same for the hot peppers BUT once you start... don't touch your eyes, don't touch your nose, don't touch your tongue, and it's likely a good idea to go to the washroom before touching these critters. The seeds give the heat, recommend leaving approx half in, depending on your constitution.

Whiz the sweet peppers through a food processor until they look like red slush. There's no other way to describe it. Measure out 1 cup. Repeat for the hot peppers.

In a heavy-bottomed pot twice the volume of your ingredients, combine the peppers, cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, then turn off and let the mixture sit for 30 minutes. If you don't have a timer, listen to 12 x 5, that's about 32 minutes.

Return your mess to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Watch it closely - stir to keep from boiling over. Smells really hot, doesn't it? Don't panic - it won't taste as hot. Should have put in more hot peppers.

After 2 minutes, remove from heat and stir in pectin.

Return to boil again for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add lime juice.

Stir for about 5 minutes before putting into jars to avoid floating bits. (Recommend Let it Bleed for this stage.)

Pour into sterilized jars and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.

This is really really good on cheese, and friends tell me they serve it with roast turkey or pork. For holiday entertaining (or, yes, even stoopid Grey Cup or SuperBowl parties) you can also use it to make Hot Pepper Jelly Cheesecake (a cheese dip):

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup hot pepper jelly

Combine well in food processor. Pack into small, plastic wrap-lined bowl and chill, covered, at least 2 hours or overnight.

Unmold, cover with another 1/2 cup hot pepper jelly and serve with crackers or veggies.

(A friend a little the worse for alcohol once told me it was the best salmon pate he had ever tasted...)

Is that my chili boiling over? Eeeek!

Cheers!

STG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-17 08:39 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Re: OT - Bored... and Freezing
Date: November 17, 2007 09:50

This is the Biggest Bang of nut brittles... A dozen years ago, a neighbour gave me a small tin during the holidays. Better yet, she shared the recipe. Now it's in the permanent arsenal of holiday treats.

If you have ever made any kind of candy or nut brittle and can use a candy thermometer, this one is easy but you will have to WORK FAST.

Keith's Kahlua Crystallized Nuts (or... "Did I just fall out of a pecan tree?")

Ingredients:

3 cups (750 ml) whole shelled nuts (blanched almonds, pecans, macadamias, cashews etc)
3/4 cup (185 ml) granulated (white) sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) Kahlua
1 Tbsp (15 ml) light corn syrup
1 Tbsp (15 ml) butter

Instructions:

Place nuts in shallow pan and toast in 300 degree F oven for 20 minutes, stirring once. Turn into lightly buttered hot metal bowl or large saucepan. (For macadamias, rub off excess salt. Toast 10 minutes only.)

In 1 qt. saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Insert candy thermometer - bring to hard crack stage (300 degrees F).

Pour over roasted nuts. Stir with buttered metal spoon to coat evenly. Spread, in single layer, on buttered jelly roll pan. Cool. Separate in small chunks. Store in airtight container.

Makes about 5 cups.

You can double the batch but not more. You really have to work fast to mix the nuts and candy mixture and spread them on the cookie sheet before it hardens.

Unless you want to do this every year, include the recipe with the goodies when gifting this one! It's a Killer!

Storing my nuts for winter... STG

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 17, 2007 10:30

good food...R&R in the kitchen!.....and nuts,,,so good against hangovers!
''give Amy some peace of mind lads""

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:24

Thanksgiving Help ( sorry for all the capital lettering , but this was already in a draft . Being a former chef , I'm always getting questions this time of year . So I did this a few months ago and had it at the ready .

1. COOK FULLY THAWED TURKEYS @ 350 DEGREES AT THE RATE OF 20 MINUTES PER POUND , BASTING IS A WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY , EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE OVEN TO BASTE THE HEAT ESCAPES AND INCREASES COOKING TIME

2. PUTTING STUFFING IN THE BIRD MAY BE TRADITIONAL , CHARMING , NICE TO LOOK AT ETC. BUT IN ORDER TO
PREVENT ANY RISK OF FOOD POISONING THE TURKEY WILL HAVE TO BE OVERCOOKED SO THAT THE STUFFING REACHES A TEMPERATURE OF A MINIMUM OF 140 DEGREES , THIS WILL RESULT IN A DRY OVERCOOKED TURKEY ,
THE INTERNAL TEMP OF THE BIRD SHOULD REACH 165 DEGREES AT THE FATTEST PART OF THE THIGH .OR GRASP
A DRUMSTICK AT THE EXPOSED BONE ( THE ANKLE) AND TWIST IF THE BONE TWISTS EASILY AND DISCONNECTS AT
THE JOINT BETWEEN THE THIGH AND DRUMSTICK ITS DONE

3. REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE BAG OF GOODIES FROM THE NECK CAVITY , SIMMER THE GIBLETS AND RESERVE 4 YOUR
GRAVY. SAVE THE NECK FOR STEP 4. IN A SEPARATE SAUCEPAN SIMMER THE LIVER FEED IT TO THE CAT OR DOG ,
THEY WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT !!

3. PRIOR TO ROASTING , CUT UP A COUPLE OF ONIONS , CARROTS AND 3-4 STALKS OF CELERY AND
WASH THEM JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE RINSED.NO NEED TO PEEL !!!!! LIBERALLY SEASON THE SKIN WITH SALT
AND PEPPER AND ANY OTHER HERBS OR SPICES YOU PREFER, DO IT THE DAY BEFORE IF YOU HAVE THE EXTRA SPACE
REFRIGERATOR ,THIS WILL RESULT IN A MORE FLAVORFUL TURKEY AND A CRISPIER SKIN

4 SEASON THE INSIDE CAVITY TOO , THIS HELPS !!

5. PLACE THE VEGGIES AND THE NECK ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ROASTING PAN THIS WILL ASSIST IN ELEVATING THE
TURKEY SO IT DOESN'T BRAISE IN ITS OWN LIQUIDS .

6. LET THE TURKEY "REST " FOR 10-15 MINUTES BEFORE CARVING,. THIS WILL ALSO PREVENT DRYING OUT.

7 REMOVE THE BIRD WHEN ITS DONE , PLACE ON A SEPARATE PAN .. DEGLAZE THE PAN WITH CANNED CHICKEN STOCK .
COOK FOR A FEW MINUTES ON THE STOVETOP UNTIL IT SIMMERS DISCARD THE VEGGIES AND THE NECK , STRAIN THE
STOCK , RESERVE ON THE SIDE , DE-FAT THE TOP OF THE STOCK WITH A LADLE , ADD FLOUR TO THE FAT TO MAKE A
ROUX

8 BRING THE STOCK TO A BOIL, ADD THE ROUX AND COOK SLOWLY FOR AT LEAST 5 MINUTES THIS WILL GUARANTEE
THE FLOUR TASTE WILL BE COOKED OUT . IF IT LUMPS UP ON YOU JUST STRAIN IT , THE STRAINER IS ALREADY DIRTY ANYWAY ........DON'T FORGET TO ADD YOUR DICED GIBLETS

9 ENJOY THE DAY , SAVE ME SOME TURKEY !!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 17, 2007 12:12

Cook the Turkey Breast Side down, it ain't pretty, but it's the key to a great tasting bird. The white meat will be as tender as the dark meat, as long as you don't overcook it.

Date: November 17, 2007 17:30

Most excellent! Glad you're joining in. Boston, there's nothing harder than a turkey - thanks for that! Bluz Dude - you're right about flipping the bird (so to speak), makes a big difference. You can also turn it over near the end so the breast will brown up a bit, but still does look a bit smooshed...

Right... American Thankgiving is next week (we had ours about 5 weeks ago...) Think I've got something else for ya... This one is dead easy, and is for the folks who don't think they like Cranberry Sauce - I was once one of you! This'll be on the stove this afternoon in La Cuisine d'STG...

Ruby Tuesday Cranberry Relish
(Unless Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday)

Recommended accompaniment - Sticky Fingers

Ingredients:

1 pound (approx 4 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries, cleaned and picked over
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 apple, peeled, cored and grated

Makes approx 6 cups, recipe easily doubled.

Prepare ahead - zest and juice the orange and lemon, reserving both in a small bowl. Grate apple - add to the orange / lemon mix to prevent browning.

In a pot at least twice the volume of your ingredients, cook cranberries at a near boil until their skins pop. You can help the slow ones along near the end by popping them with a spoon - nearly as much fun as bubble wrap.

Add all other ingredients and boil 15 minutes.

That's pretty much it - no pectin needed as the berries have their own.

Will keep in refrigerator for at least 6 weeks so will last you through Christmas and New Year's, or you can do the whole "jam jar" thing, sterilize your jars and process in a water bath for 5 minutes when sealed. Very pretty for gifting.

You'll never eat a leftover turkey sandwich without wanting this... Mmmmm

STG

Date: November 18, 2007 10:46

La Cuisine d'STG is a shambles and the freezer is getting full... a sure sign winter is coming.

This one is for the Veg-Heads! It was the starter for Thanskgiving dinner last year and it's the sort of health stuff Jo Wood would feed to keep Ronnie healthy... kinda.

Ronnie's Never Heard of This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Red Pepper Puree

(Recommended accompaniment - Stripped)

2 pound butternut (or other) squash - photo above
2 SMALL cloves garlic
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
zest of half an orange, orange juice to taste
6 cups vegetable stock (carnivores substitute chicken stock)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Peel garlic.

Place squash cut side down on lightly oiled baking sheet, placing 1 clove of garlic under each half. Prick the skin of the squash and roast at 350' F for 45 - 60 minutes. While squash is roasting, saute the onions in olive oil and set aside.

Allow squash to cool slightly. Peel squash, cut into chunks and puree toether with roasted garlic, onions, orange juice and zest and small amount of stock if needed. *** Beware too much garlic in this soup - you may want to use only 1 clove.

Pour pureed squash mixture into large saucepan, add remaining stock or as needed for desired consistency.

Now you have to wing it - adjust orange juice, nutmeg, vanilla, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Heat through and serve, garnished with a spoonful of red pepper puree, below.

Roasted, Stewed and Keefed Red Pepper Puree

1 cup coarsely chopped roasted red peppers (aka capsicum)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
pinch each of salt and sugar

Puree together. Will keep several days in refrigerator. If there is any left over from the soup, use it on a pita with hummus... but that's another recipe!

STG

Date: November 19, 2007 05:30

This one was on the menu tonight at Chez STG. Perfect for fall and winter, served with roasted squash and sweet potato, rice and naan, it smells incredible while cooking and is great for sharing. Actually from a Passover menu and published in Canadian Living magazine (Sept '06), it's the best mix of exotic spices and comfort food.

Moroccan Lamb Tagine with Apricots and Golden Raisins
(Or... Why Keith Kept Going Back)

Accompaniment: Ya Ya's

Ingredients:

3 lb boneless lamb shoulder
2 teaspoons (tsp) ground cumin
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp each salt and ground ginger
½ tsp each turmeric and pepper
2 cups stock, preferrably chicken
1 tsp saffron threads
¼ cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoon (Tbsp) vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 carrots, sliced 1/4" on the diagonal
1 cup dried apricots, slivered
½ cup golden raisins
1 Tbsp liquid honey
1 Tbsp fresh chopped mint for garnish

Trim fat from lamb and cut into 1 ¼” cubes and place in bowl.

Combine cumin, cinnamon, salt, ginger, turmeric and pepper, reserving 1 tsp for later. Sprinkle over lamb and toss. (Can put in zippered bag and hold in refrigerator for several hours, or overnight, to really bring out flavours.)

Heat stock in sauce pan until hot, add saffron, let stand for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile in large shallow dutch oven, toast almonds over medium heat until golden. Remove and set aside.

Add 1 tsp of oil to the pan, heat over medium high heat and brown the lamb in batches, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a plate.

Add remaining oil to the pan and fry onions, garlic and reserved spice mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden, about 5 minutes.

Return lamb and any juices to pan. Add stock mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour.

Add carrots, apricots, raisins and honey; cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 30 mins.

Uncover and boil over medium heat until thickened to consistency of gravy, about 5 mins.

Garnish with almonds and mint. Serve with rice (or couscous) and naan (or warm pitas).

Don't count on leftovers...

Photo: Laurent Renault

Date: November 19, 2007 05:51

Wild rice is a Canadian delicacy... and most Canucks never cook it. They sell it in little bags and every once in a while you will find some mixed in with your rice in a restaurant. It has a firm texture and a nutty taste and it's fun to paddle through the plants at the sides of lakes and rivers and get lost. But... what else can you do with the stuff?

A friend served me this salad (and was forced to give up the recipe). You can find it on Epicurious, and it was published in the July '96 Gourmet magazine as Wild Rice Salad Vicki Lee Boyajian Cafe. It makes a huge salad, so is great for large get togethers, special occasions, buffets, and is perfect for the Veg-Heads too! It's easy, colourful and keeps for several days.

This must be why the Stones like Toronto...

Mick's (...wait for it...) Tumbling Rice Salad

Accompaniment: Got Live If You Want It of course, from ElMo sessions...

Ingredients:

1/2 pound wild rice (about 1 1/2 cups), rinsed
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted until golden
1/2 cup raisins
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Preparation

In a large saucepan bring 5 cups salted water to a boil. Add wild rice and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain wild rice and transfer to a bowl to cool. (Chill wild rice, covered, until cold, about 2 hours.)

In a large bowl combine vegetables, almonds, and raisins and toss with wild rice.

In a bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste until combined well. Pour dressing over salad and toss well. Chill before serving. (Salad may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.)

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 19, 2007 05:56

great recipes! thanks for going to all the trouble.
what's for dinner?

Photo by Gerard Malanga.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2007 05:57

I think I need a drink too, please.
Gimme Seltzer.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 19, 2007 06:09

and what are we going to eat in the morning???....this thread gets me hungry i tell you....good work!

Date: November 19, 2007 06:14

Last one for y'all. Nothing would be complete without a chocolate finale that is so completely disgusting that it is elevated to greatness.

Fortunately, you have me...

Rocks Off Chocolate Sin

Accompaniment: Voodoo Lounge

You can buy small chocolate dessert cups in most food stores. Different shapes or sizes are available - really any small edible cup will do. The filling is the important part...

Basic Recipe:

1/4 cup (2 ounces) whipping cream
5 ounces chocolate, chopped
2 Tablespoons liqueur

In small saucepan, heat cream until bubbles form around the edges. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Let stand, covered, until chocolate melts. Add liqueur and mix well. Refrigerate until cool enough to hold soft peaks.

Now you can do what you want... but I suggest making variations of this glorified ganache and piping it into the chocolate cups.

Try white chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream, milk chocolate with Drambuie, dark chocolate with Grand Marnier, or come up with your own - they will all work.

If you don't have a piping bag, put the chocolate mixture into a small plastic bag, cut a small piece of the bottom corner off, and this will work well.

Serve topped with raspberries, with a raspberry or other fruit sauce, with chocolate sauce or whipped cream or just pass the bowl around the table - you will be forgiven!

Can also be used between layers of cakes, but any unapproved application to the human body is at your own risk... just be careful out there!

STG

Date: November 19, 2007 06:18

Ah... this weekend was an extravaganza for sure! Best plan was inviting friends in for dinner - it forced me to stop, even though I still have another double batch of hot pepper jelly to make. But the menu was Morrocan Lamb Tagine, roasted sweet potatos and butternut squash, jasmine rice and naan. With a wee dram of whisky to end the night... The jackals were so sated after the tagine that the apple crisp wasn't even touched...

Rooster, honey, learn to cook! Best way to woo a lady...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2007 06:29

Are you serving any cold shoulder?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home